Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 53153 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (One Free Spot!)
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2014, 11:53:34 pm »

We can still RP seasonal crop restrictions so that things are in proper season.

Some crops can be grown in multiple seasons, like squash-- (Summer, and fall)-- and some can definately be grown in mild temperate winters, like cabbages, and red wheat.

We'd need a full list of available crops, and I can do some research on proper planting times.

Gee, if only somebody had a mod that actually restricted crops . . . ::)

Well either way.   40.18 requires I update it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2014, 12:01:56 am »

Gee, if only somebody had a mod that actually restricted crops . . . ::)

Well either way.   40.18 requires I update it.
Fiddling with plant's doesn't require regen, it's as simple as taking

Code: [Select]
[PLANT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP]
[NAME:plump helmet][NAME_PLURAL:plump helmets][ADJ:plump helmet]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]

and turning it into
Code: [Select]
[PLANT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP]
[NAME:plump helmet][NAME_PLURAL:plump helmets][ADJ:plump helmet]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN]-WINTER]

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nevertaxed-Koreg First Year
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2014, 12:07:20 am »

Sandstone 14

The traders left with a few of the wheelbarrows HugoLuman made, there was no time to give them more but if there had been there was nothing else we really needed from them. I made Neblime broker, I thought convincing him to take on some responsibility would make him more trustworthy. I'm better with the social arts and PK is a better appraiser but neither he nor I need to do more to establish our credibility.

Sandstone 17

Migrants! 16 this time,
I assumed the first handful was unusually large but it seems my little venture has attracted a great deal of attention. There are now 31 able bodied dwarves and two children in the fort VILLAGE VILLAGE VILLAGE VILLAGE. I havent had a chance to do inventory of them all but I expect

Kangaroo. I am not insane. In our little slice of subarctic heaven a troop of Kangaroo just went hopping past, NO! NO I AM NOT INSANE!

[there's a large spill on the paper]

I'm afraid my first impression with the new migrants may have been less than I hoped. I kicked the door of the Pickled Plum, pointed out ten of them and told them if they didn't kill a kangaroo and prove my sanity I would throw them out of the village. They chased the animals down, and managed to corner one, they held it down and a passing miner struck it in the head with a pickaxe. I've given Neblime control over the animal industry and a butcher shop. We'll get these damned animals out of the Pickled Plum and eat Kangaroo for dinner. Maybe this will convince some people that there are strange things in these woods. 

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2014, 12:13:54 am »

"Hawkblockades.  We gotta talk."

Bim 'Saint' Eshtanilun sat across from Koreg Hawkbockades at the Pickled Plum, two pints of booze sitting between them.  Between building his lavish manor, hauling wood and fallen plums, and their war on gigantic owls, they'd barely had a minute to sit down and hash out this little...meeting.

Bim took a drink from her mug, then set it back down with a deliberate *clink.* 

"It's about your mine.  I understand that you're charging fifteen times going market rate for any scrap of metal that comes out of the ground.  That puts me and my growing industry of metal working in a...'precarious' position."  She took another sip, letting that hang in the air.

"I need metal.  You need a skilled metal worker to fill your god-awful manor with all sorts of shiny crap.  I'm sure we can come to an agreement.  Unless...you know, you think that owl knows how to blacksmith."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2014, 12:21:16 am »

that owl knows how to blacksmith
Must.. resist... urge to draw.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2014, 12:43:48 am »

"Well I suppose that is a precarious situation." Koreg took a swig and spent a moment sampling the flavor. "I imagine teaching an owl to mine would be a rather tall order. But I wonder if I could find someone a bit more open to learning." he absently glanced around at the hall and the new migrants. "Anything's possible with a good teacher I suppose. Have you met Cilob?"

"She's quite eager to start working and she's expressed interest in owning her own forge. Wouldn't it be awful if after uprooting your life and travelling to this cursed place you weren't the only game in town?" He smiled. "I could also just fill my lovely abode with artfully created stonework from the fruits of my mine and simply sell my raw ore on the market. If you aren't willing to accept my prices I suppose I could just give her your forge, there are industries with cheaper costs of doing business and I'm sure you'd fit in somewhere.We do need to build a dump after all, you could pick through the decaying meat for bones- wouldn't that be fun?

"But no. While I'm confident I could charge you one hundred times the market price and it would still be more efficient to buy from me than to import material I am not at all happy with this state of affairs. There is no reason we can't be friends- there's a war on after all and we're all on the same side. I'd be happy to sell to you at 75 percent below market price in exchange for 10% off the top from all sales of silver as well as 5% of Iron and Copper. All it takes to make this deal possible is that you admit that it is conceivable in this strange world where trees grow to twice their normal size and kangaroos bound about the arctic circle that it's possible that I did in fact see a giant owl."

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2014, 01:18:48 am »

Bim's eyes narrowed at Hawkbockades words.  A calm smile didn't escape her face, but the air around her grew icy enough to chill the brandy sitting on the table.

"You're quite bold, Koreg.  You can stack card after card upon your grand little house, but you're so ready to burn those around you that you won't see it coming when it all goes up in flames.  You think that you can strangle the industry of those around you and still have your Fortress grow?"  She savored the twitch he made when she said the word 'fortress'.

"I admit that it is indeed possible, in this strange little world where self-inflated dwarves succeed from the mountain home and expect no retribution from the king they'd so thoughtlessly insulted, that in your stressful, addled state, you saw a giant owl.  I'll not debate whether or not this owl exists, but I whole heartedly believe that you saw it.  75% below market price, with the value of the ore to be payed off in goods furnished in my shop.  5% on iron, copper, and silver, paid in a similar manner.  A temporary workshop for now, and a two-story 64 tile Forge named 'The Hammer and Cock' to be built within three years of today.  And, to top it all off, I become the Head of the Metalworkers Guild."  She thought for a moment, then added, "Oh, and Cilob Alathzat becomes my employee."

Bim leaned back in her chair and sipped her drink.  "Do this for me, and I'll furnish your home with whatever gaudy metal baubles you want for the price of the metal itself.  Do this, and you'll never have a problem from me again.  Your little house of cards will be secure, and you can go about building it higher and higher."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2014, 02:16:48 am »

"I accept," He said. "If anyone in this Village so much as looks at an anvil they'll never get a single piece of ore from me. I'll make a case to the other founders that you've earned fourteen more tiles and I'll stake off an area just as soon as you can show me where you'd like it."  
"Feel free to report your feelings on this house of cards I've built after you've sold your first helmet and nobody takes seventy percent of your earnings, and while your at it why don't you consider that during this conversation you've insulted a powerful person, demanded a larger home, and sought the power to control others. Ask yourself; are you upset about the way I do business or that I've done it so much better than you?"

Koreg walked back to Silver Plum Manor smiling.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 23, 2014, 03:00:57 am »

Bim smiled.  She'd let Koreg get away with his barbed words for now.  She had what she wanted...and it was enough to start building her own little empire.  She plotted out her land, choosing a 7x9 plot of tile in prime center-village real-estate. That'd add up to 63 tiles; the 64th tile would extend out into the street as a small bridge/door, connected to a lever.  All built out of stone block, of course.  It'd be dangerous to have a wooden forge.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She set the map aside and enjoyed the rest of her brandy at a leisurely pace.  She'd done good today.  She'd staked out a profitable future for her little metalsmithing company, established herself as the Guild Leader of Metalworking at the Table of Commerce, and made a (temporary) truce with Koreg.

She wasn't too worried about that last part, though.  Hawkblockades would slip up at some point, and he did, Bim would be there.  It may be tomorrow, it may be three years from now, but at some point she would become the figurehead of this little...Fortress.  Of that, she was certain.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2014, 09:54:35 am »

Timber 14

We've negotiated a 189% markup on axes to fuel the war effort.
This item is worth 3,213 soveriegns. Tax free. There is no excise tax on arms sales, there is no sales tax, there is no tax for using a non guild smith, there are no licensing fees for the management of the forge, there is no property tax on the land the forge is built on, hell the only expenses are transport fees which are already factored into merchant prices transport fees. And it's iron which means according to my arrangement with Saint I get 5% off the top.

I just made 160 gold sovereigns and fifty silver gears.

I declared I was on break and spent most of the morning working out hypothetical equations. A silver mace of similar quality would fetch an even nicer price with it's more expensive materials and it's 200% markup.

Timber 28

Fantastic! Our Village wealth has been increased by thirty three percent with the addition of our first artifact. Stricken by inspiration one of the new migrants commandeered a craftsdwarf shop and with a hematite and conglomerate boulder produced this glorious creation. There was a large crowd when I arrived and I cut straight through the assembled mass and prepared to offer five thousand crowns. I stopped myself and instead offered the title of “manager”. The dwarf was an herbalist come to pick fruit for a living wage, I can't imagine she's seen a scrap of power in her life. She accepted graciously and spirited it back to my bedroom at Silverplumb Manor. (The name Lucrekept seemed to draw the attention of the Liaison so I've changed it to something less on the nose.) On reflection I decided that for all the hell these people have put me through my dream is being realized and it's thanks to their hard work. I replaced the silver talisman in the bar with the figurine and returned the talisman to my living space. The workers seem pleased.

A third of our [a section of the paper has been cut out] VILLAGE VILLAGE VILLAGE wealth is now tied up in this thing.

Moonstone 1

GO AWAY ELDER OWL I ALREADY DID THE RITUAL! GO AWAY AND LEAVE ME BE! The rotten bastard is strafing my property but never going near the actual village so of course I'm destined to look insane but I'm not insane, I know it's really there- I know! Where's Lord_lemonpie?

Moonstone 3

GO TO HELL, ALL OF YOU GO TO HELL I WAS RIGHT! You want more proof? Eat it!I was however quite distraught to find this was not the creature I saw by the river. It's substantially larger and appears to be female. I thought I might be mistaken until That means this is not some freak of nature like a titan but a naturally occurring species. There is now undeniable proof that there are massive owls stalking these woods.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:39:35 am by Broseph Stalin »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2014, 11:05:38 am »

Before I begin my inevitable turn, are there any modifications made to this?  Specifically the inorganic files and trees.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2014, 11:16:19 am »

Only changes are dwarves get outdoor farming (villages, yeah!), Display Cases (sans glass chest), and ravens can no longer fly (glitchy map locky little turds).

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2014, 04:16:16 pm »

If it's at all possible, can you have Bim (my character) grind her smithing skills during your turn?  Even if it's just melting down some worthless little silver figurine and reforging it into the shape of a dick a million times?  There's now way I can make significant progress on her skills during my turn, since the smithing skills take soooo long to level up.

Ooh, and ask for flux boulders in the next caravan, so we can make steel!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2014, 04:24:05 pm »

Smithing and melting can possible lead to exploityness without realizing it, and or-- to the loss of valuable metal raw material.

If this course of action is to be undertaken seriously to grind a skill upgrade, then a melt-amount-neutral good needs to be used. 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2014, 04:27:04 pm »

Moonstone 14

Brief land dispute today. Seems one of the houses I was having built was in direct conflict with grazing land promised to the rancher Neblime. I had to do some quick rezoning and Neblime seemed a bit crossed that I ruled against him but he can just deal with that.

My hope had been to get some permanent housing built before the necessary end of my reign but I'd rather see my debt paid promptly. I've already got the first floor frame of Saint's little shop all built and we're building a scaffolding to finish the second tier immediately. Mining and cutting the stone to finish it will take more time than I have but I'm certain the very capable PK can handle such things. I've also replaced PK with Baffler Growthrim our new manager and legendary stonecrafter in the tavern.
PK has been woefully underutilized as of yet and it's my hope that putting him in charge of the refuse pile will give him time to practice his bonecarving. I don't have the time to build him anything fancy, if he wants his own estate I'll let him design it himself.

Moonstone 28

Saint's estate is almost roofed though there's no floor on either level. I had to stop work to shore up the stone supply. We ran out of conglomerate and rather than digging more stone at potential risk to the miners I chose to supplement it with gneiss they're the same basic color, I doubt she has the eye to appreciate the difference. Enough people pitched in to allow some more home construction on top of that.

Opal 14
   My building strategy right now is to get as many homes as possible under construction and to let PK finish them. I imagine the good will he gets from housing these people might smooth over any trouble that may arise from the reigns changing hands. I'm also changing out my furniture almost daily, I'm determined to have the perfect blend of wood and stone and until I achieve it we're turning out furnishings. The good news is that the dozens of pieces that are beneath a dwarf of my status can go towards furnishing some of the new homes. It seems that our little arrangement has been good to Saint. I've kept her stocked with all the ore she can manage and it's enabled her of realize her dream of creating a masterpiece.

Opal 28
Rather than panicking and running away he quickly produced his crossbow and took the animal down. It's utterly massive. As soon as I'd finished inspecting the beast I ran over to the forge and demanded my pound of flesh. The weapon she's been dreaming of creating for her petty little life is now my property. It will be largely decorative but in the event of an emergency I'll draw the bridge seal the doors and hatches, and take up the sword in a more practical capacity. We've both profited greatly from our dealings thusfar the only reason we aren't the best of friends is her stubborn refusal to show me respect as the architect of this endeavor. Certainly a founder and a smith deserves better lodgings than a common pauper but she had the audacity to make demands of me, to try and threaten my economic viability? She attempted to extort what I would have freely given and even after I made it clear that I could crush her at any time but found friendship preferable to hostility she dared insult me further. For that she has paid, the item that fulfilled her life's ambition, the symbol of her pride, is now one of the "gaudy metal baubles" that decorates my home. One more month and I can stop worrying about all this administrative business and leave the forest and all it's monsters to PK.

12 Obsidian. Two weeks and two days until my glorious return to the private sector.

Idiots. I am surrounded by unbelievable idiots. For one year now we have lived alongside monsters and have had no incidents at all, in fact they've been an excellent source of hide, meat, and bones. A blessing even. And then this morning a hunter barges into Silverplum and tells me there's been an accident. His definition of accident and mine are somewhat different.
Bored with the lack of crossbow bolts (we need weapons and armor first then we can worry about hunting equipment) the idiotic hunting party decided it would be fun to tease a wounded giant kangaroo. This is apparently some type of counting coup game that they do in their off time.

I saw to it his body was dragged over to PK's new home so he could tell us that obviously when a dwarf lacks anything resembling a head that dwarf is beyond a doctors help. I had one of the first migrants put on a suit of mail, take a good sword and shield, and go kill the monster they've taken to calling Authormirth for the rather funny story it's created. The creature fell quite easily to someone who wasn't completely stupid and we'll be eating it soon. I'll have a coffin knocked together for Dobar Dodokothos (Dodo I call him) and I suppose we'll find somewhere to... No. My patience is exhausted with stupidity.  He's going in the garbage. We're throwing him in the garbage and if PK thinks this dumb bastard merits a funeral PK can provide it. In fact I imagine it might win him a few points with the public.
   I'm done. I declare myself a lame duck and will spend the next two weeks sealed inside my manor sipping wine on my balcony, watch the villagers hustle about, and seeing if I can judge the taste difference between giant kangaroo and giant kangaroo that's slain a dwarf. 

The Pickled Plum, Midnight, Obsidian 28

"Ladies and gentlemen," Koreg hopped up on a chair to address the assembled patrons. "This year has been quite fruitful. We have built much, overcome much, and suffered much. If the death of our friend and neighbor Dodok has taught us anything then let it be that it is not safe here and we depend on one another to survive. Some of you came here to start a business, some came to work for fair wages, some came out of a sense of adventure, and some aren't quite sure why you're here. Let it be said that no dwarf of Nevertaxed holds another dwarf of Nevertaxed in enmity. We all have our own objectives and there's no reason we can't all see them realized. We must take care to watch out for our neighbors as their problems will inevitably become ours. We all have skin in this very delicate game and we all stand to lose a great deal if things go poorly.  And remember, we operate by a very specific set of rules and should anyone even say the "F" word too loudly it's very possible our dreams will be dashed. For the next year Founder PK ,who did his best to save the heroic Dodok, will be acting Overseer. Please ensure that you do everything in your power to make his reign as productive as possible."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 54