Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 53162 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #315 on: December 03, 2014, 02:00:20 pm »

Are you planning to hold both farming and clay?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 03, 2014, 02:02:22 pm »

No. Wierd's kiln is a hobby kiln. Not intended for major industrial output. I have labeled it as such with the label system.

It is my intention that it will eventually have workshop restrictions setting ONLY him as a valid worker at some point (when proper clay industry is up and running), with the proper kiln yard restricting his access. We might even roleplay "legal action" to have his kiln shut down for violating town charter. Juicy that. ;P
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:04:45 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 03, 2014, 02:13:58 pm »

I think I DO see a zoning violation though.

There is an active wood burning workshop adjacent to an empty house. Naughty.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 03, 2014, 02:40:51 pm »

Ok, I have set labors according to the new vocations I set. I have issued construction of a few more empty houses, and have ordered a farmer's workshop built in Wierd's property, and a kiln on his roof. The kiln now has a 2x2 clay collection zone in the mine to get clay "boulders" from.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 03, 2014, 02:41:58 pm »

Dont forget about Bone Processing! :D  We can always do with decorations, totems, and crafts.  Not to mentions bone bolts and armor.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 03, 2014, 02:45:17 pm »

Those can use the already existing craftsdwarf's workshop, along with the waxworker.

Right now, I need to find "clever" ways to get requisite buildings in place for production to get underway. Once dwarfed dwarves get legendary status, they can get their own property, and set up shop correctly.

Hmm, The lead waxworker is married to a dwarfed dwarf. I should see if any other such loopholes exist to get clothing up and running.

Somehow I missed a legendary weaver. That's it, I am getting the latest therapist. This is irritating. However-- she does not quite meet the requirements, since she is not dwarfed. I may need to rescind her land ownership status. 

Please advise?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 03:03:07 pm by wierd »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 03, 2014, 03:11:41 pm »

Duplicate shops are necessary for diverse lavor. Animals cant be sheared at the agriculture farmers workshop they need their own. The dwarf in charge of garbage can have a bone carver crafts dwarf workshop.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 03, 2014, 03:59:41 pm »

I assume I'm getting this guy:

--Ezum Uruszas
Talented cook
Novice Dyer
Novice beekeeper

If so, what's his dwarf description, i'm curious...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 03, 2014, 04:18:51 pm »

I linked it on the previous page.

Taupe gets the Head Chef

Spoiler:  Head Chef (click to show/hide)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 03, 2014, 04:20:24 pm »

Those can use the already existing craftsdwarf's workshop, along with the waxworker.

Right now, I need to find "clever" ways to get requisite buildings in place for production to get underway. Once dwarfed dwarves get legendary status, they can get their own property, and set up shop correctly.

Hmm, The lead waxworker is married to a dwarfed dwarf. I should see if any other such loopholes exist to get clothing up and running.

Somehow I missed a legendary weaver. That's it, I am getting the latest therapist. This is irritating. However-- she does not quite meet the requirements, since she is not dwarfed. I may need to rescind her land ownership status. 

Please advise?

For the sake of balance I'll say that married couples function as a single houshold/holding dwarfed spouse + legendary spouse means notable status for the dwarfed.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 03, 2014, 04:26:24 pm »

Duplicate shops are necessary for diverse lavor. Animals cant be sheared at the agriculture farmers workshop they need their own. The dwarf in charge of garbage can have a bone carver crafts dwarf workshop.

That is the ultimate goal, the problem is that the rules forbid it in a catch-22 style.

1) No community property, all workshops must be owned.
2) Only notables can own land or industries
3) To be notable, dwarves must be both dwarfed AND legendary, unless they are a noble, or a member of the starting 7.
4) (hinted at strongly, but not overtly stated) Notables should really only own a single industry

This means that these new migrants with less than legendary status, that aren't dwarfed, cant own property on which to have workshops to build their skills.

Chicken and egg.

I can circumvent this somewhat by temporarily assigning duties at workshops that are owned inside existing landowners' properties, intended for other industries, until they can get their legendary statuses, and we can attract observers that want dwarfed dwarves. At that point, they will meet the criteria for owning a modest property and having an industry.

The problem is getting industries that have no "legal" means of being started, started. 

Since my character is built around a shameless tax-dodger, rule breaker, and general ne'er-do-well being put into an administrative position, his doing this kind of "legal gymnastics" to get things running is, IMO, perfectly in line.  I however *AM* trying my best to stay as "In the rules" as is possible.

Ideally, the goal is to have redundant workshops, in appropriately zoned and owned localities. But Rome wasn't built in a day, and I have to play with the rules as written.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 03, 2014, 04:38:40 pm »

I think I have a clever solution... But it would require group approval.

One of the rules concerning parceling of land to founders is that it can be allocated as they see fit, within the total land area use restrictions.

Does this allocation have to be contiguous?  EG-- Can my dwarf own two smaller properties of equal size to the total value allowed? If so, wierd could claim ownership of two houses, and "Rent one out" on a 'Rent to own' basis.  This could potentially sidestep a land ownership restriction to permit a jumpstart on the clothing/milling/dying industries-- but I wont implement without approval.

The idea here is "Rented commercial property", not "Rented residential property".  Dwarves will not be allowed to live there.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:40:45 pm by wierd »

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 03, 2014, 04:40:12 pm »

Please advise?

Well if that's all that's stopping you, can you dorf me as the weaver? Does he/she have a description posted somewhere already?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 03, 2014, 04:47:04 pm »

Please advise?

Well if that's all that's stopping you, can you dorf me as the weaver? Does he/she have a description posted somewhere already?

Here you go.
Spoiler:  Legendary Weaver (click to show/hide)

But Beneviento already requested weaver/clothesmaker.  I can assign him this legendary weaver, and get the loom shop and clothier shop in.

That still leaves miller and dyer.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:50:33 pm by wierd »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 03, 2014, 04:49:13 pm »

That is the ultimate goal, the problem is that the rules forbid it in a catch-22 style.

1) No community property, all workshops must be owned.
2) Only notables can own land or industries
3) To be notable, dwarves must be both dwarfed AND legendary, unless they are a noble, or a member of the starting 7.
4) (hinted at strongly, but not overtly stated) Notables should really only own a single industry

This means that these new migrants with less than legendary status, that aren't dwarfed, cant own property on which to have workshops to build their skills.

Chicken and egg.

I can circumvent this somewhat by temporarily assigning duties at workshops that are owned inside existing landowners' properties, intended for other industries, until they can get their legendary statuses, and we can attract observers that want dwarfed dwarves. At that point, they will meet the criteria for owning a modest property and having an industry.

The problem is getting industries that have no "legal" means of being started, started. 

Since my character is built around a shameless tax-dodger, rule breaker, and general ne'er-do-well being put into an administrative position, his doing this kind of "legal gymnastics" to get things running is, IMO, perfectly in line.  I however *AM* trying my best to stay as "In the rules" as is possible.

Ideally, the goal is to have redundant workshops, in appropriately zoned and owned localities. But Rome wasn't built in a day, and I have to play with the rules as written.

The purpose of the owned industry requirement is to prevent the village from receiving the benefits of an industry before there's someone to manage it. The dwarves don't need any association with their owned industry, they can establish notability in carpentry, cooking, or anything else and then use that to acquire their own industry that's more in line with their actual interests.

I think I have a clever solution... But it would require group approval.

One of the rules concerning parceling of land to founders is that it can be allocated as they see fit, within the total land area use restrictions.

Does this allocation have to be contiguous?  EG-- Can my dwarf own two smaller properties of equal size to the total value allowed? If so, wierd could claim ownership of two houses, and "Rent one out" on a 'Rent to own' basis.  This could potentially sidestep a land ownership restriction to permit a jumpstart on the clothing/milling/dying industries-- but I wont implement without approval.

The idea here is "Rented commercial property", not "Rented residential property".  Dwarves will not be allowed to live there.

That's actually a fantastic idea. If I knew about the merit based tile system when I drew up the rules I would have definitely included that. It gives the player the choice between living in a defensible mansion or sacrificing for the community.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 54