Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: The Science Fiction thread, "What is, is"  (Read 9740 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Science Fiction thread, "What's in a name?"
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2015, 03:36:41 pm »

Gigla, evolution used to be a natural selection thing, but it doesn't have to be anymore. Even without going into genetically engineering human, we can apply artificial selection pressure to some genes (for example, screening embryo for Huntigton's disease).

It doesn't have to be, but mention selecting out better genes and people tend to get a bit... uncomfortable.

Doesn't really make any sense, really. Guns don't need to be computerized, much less networked.
Well computer assisted guns could be more accurate and less suseptable to jamming or over heating.
The over heating part being the computer directly telling you that the gun is getting hot and the computer could possibly control the mechanisms in the gun to at least minimize jamming problems

Generally, you can tell when a gun is getting hot when the barrel starts glowing and even more so when it catches on fire. You say it could, but there has to be a part of the gun where circuits come into play to change something. Similarly, an automatic weapon is that - automatic - utilising the recoil of the firing round to cycle the next round in. It's all mechanical. Adding complexity to things generally increases their likelihood of problems, not decreases it.

Think of all those times you forgot to plug your phone in to charge. Annoying, right? Now it's your gun not working because it's out of battery, and you've just been shot. A bit more annoying. There's not much market for smart guns, certainly not at the moment. Both guns-rights and gun-control groups don't like them.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2015, 11:24:01 am »

Who would willingly have a chip in their head that could make them kill themselves if someone got into it? Attacking is so much easier than defence in cyber-warfare.

No one would if you market it like that, but the key is the law of unintended consequences.  In other words, I can see where the logic would result in that effect, and one without any military applications.  Basically, you design a chip that can move your body according to some preprogrammed way (say, training muscle memory to follow optimum movement for something like sports or exercise - market it as the ultimate "learn by doing" chip for the perfect work-out, without "wasting" time to learn it yourself), or control autonomous processes (the aforementioned pacemakers, which you yourself mentioned exist).  Then, you decide that you might need to update the firmware, say, because there might be some particular issues, or because they might need to be updated to match the individual person over a long period of time, or because you might want to load new patterns onto the thing.  Then, one of your engineers has a brainchild: rather than forcing them to dig out the chip via invasive surgery then put it back in via the same (and the usual potential for health complication in having multiple surgical operations back-to-back), simply stick a small, cheap wi-fi transceiver on the thing.  Instant vector, especially if they don't close the authentication gaps properly. 

Alternately, if you believe basilisks are a possibility rather than fantasy, anything that ties to the optical nerve/visual cortex to transmit images to the brain - say, a "smartphone chip," cyberbrain, off-loaded auxiliary memory core, or the like would be a potential risk, since they would bypass certain implicit filters present in the eye (that is, that the rods and cones can only be stimulated in particular ways contingent on their chemistry).  Mind you, I don't believe Langford's basilisks are anything but fantasy, and the optic nerve would not be an avenue to enforce muscle control (though any such attempt might make for some very...interesting effects as your visual cortex struggles to interpret the stimuli as visual information, like opening a JPG in Notepad), but that is another alternate avenue for killing people via cybernetics.  While a phone chip would in its simplest incarnation only need to send information to the brain via the cochlear and optic nerves, assuming you don't tie it to external implants/devices over the eye and ear, most of the popular conceptions of the remaining two options above are typically tied to the wetbrain more closely to facilitate a more efficient transmission of information, and would have alternate avenues of attack that don't rely on basilisks. 

EDIT: Oh, but killing someone by overriding their sensory inputs would be even easier than a basilisk.  Let's say you're driving on the freeway at cruise speed and suddenly you get hit with the visual equivalent of an really bad LSD trip?  You're now operating a vehicle massing over a ton with kinetic energy to match, surrounded by other vehicles in like state, completely blind.  And that's just the unsubtle method...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:33:42 am by Culise »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: The Science Fiction thread, "What is, is"
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2015, 11:34:06 am »

PTW

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2015, 12:08:07 pm »

I ment that, considering the amount and diversity of information we have available nowadays, that perhaps human brains are becoming more flexible?

Now I type it, I notice that that's probably not evolution at all. Oh well.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2015, 12:43:30 pm »

Masamune Shirow, the creator of Ghost in the Shell, postulated an entire world based on the concept of human brains being integrated into the 'net, I have to say that I find the entire concept unconscionable, and would have to actively attempt to hinder any attempts to implement it.  From a pure intellectual standpoint the concept has basic merit, but from a sociological and historical view, it is simply terrifying beyond words.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2015, 12:46:50 pm »

Has anyone played Command and Conquer Red alert? there are several, I think the one I've got in mind is 2..
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2015, 12:53:07 pm »

Has anyone played Command and Conquer Red alert? there are several, I think the one I've got in mind is 2..

I played the original ones extensively.
This is a blank sig.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2015, 12:58:10 pm »

Those are the ones I am talking about

anyhow the scifi part
In the second one Yuri began using these machines that converted brainwashed civilians into (i forget its one of these two though) fuel for your base or turned them into valuable resources that gave you credits

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2015, 12:59:02 pm »

Who would willingly have a chip in their head that could make them kill themselves if someone got into it?
It doesn't have to be done willingly. Government mandated chips are a staple of dystopian SF.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2015, 02:51:37 pm »

On a different note, would alternate timelines be science fiction, historical fiction, or fantasy?  I can see arguments for each, but my personal leaning is towards science fiction, with allowances for individual cases.  (This is just a stupid lead in to a question regarding the p-1000 'Ratte' mega-tank.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2015, 02:59:03 pm »

In the second one Yuri began using these machines that converted brainwashed civilians into (i forget its one of these two though) fuel for your base or turned them into valuable resources that gave you credits

Would mobs of mind controlled civilians be good as a fuel source?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:09:35 pm by Cryxis, Prince of Doom »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2015, 03:55:44 pm »

Who would willingly have a chip in their head that could make them kill themselves if someone got into it?
It doesn't have to be done willingly. Government mandated chips are a staple of dystopian SF.

And it could be done by inches. My ID card uses NFC, and could be passively scanned by a pocket-level machine in a doorway.

It's not an enormous step to make it smaller and go in a wristband.

And why not put it in your arm while we're at it?

Although going full brain chip would be a big leap. I wouldn't put government software on my PC, even.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2015, 06:58:49 am »

Because it's not convienant to put advanced gadgets in people. If it's advanced, it needs power, so it needs batteries, which need replacing, which needs surgery.

Similarly, something like a RFID chip is more convienant in the form of a bracelet, since they're hardly difficult to remove. Its already illegal in a few states in america to forcefully chip someone. It's simply easier to have it on a card or a bracelet, with less maybe cancer risk.

I imagine the religous wouldn't be too happy about it either. It's... unlikely to come to pass. Dsytopia is harder to achieve than you might think.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2015, 07:01:16 am »

You could have wireless charging.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2015, 07:03:20 am »

I imagine the religous wouldn't be too happy about it either.

Am religious, can confirm. My mother doesn't like the NFC IDs, even.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10