Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 114644 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Interlude
« Reply #615 on: November 14, 2015, 08:58:26 pm »

Arwen:
As Arwen starts to head out, he bumps into Johanna, almost tripping over her.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 14, 2015, 08:59:53 pm »

"Ach, well.
I really kinnae afford that, as much as I'd love t'own 'er.  Some bandit grabbed me purse in the fightin' yesterday, methinks, or at least it ain't where it was.  Prob'ly while we were gawkin' a' the dragon zapping th' keep.  If I had th' money, I'd buy 'er in a heartbeat.

What d'ye hae that isn't obscenely expensive but is also not something your apprentices did a shoddy job on?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 14, 2015, 09:05:28 pm »

Arwen curses, catching himself from falling as he turns to face her.

"Sorry Johanna. Are you alright? I was... a bit lost in my own mind. I should have been watching where I was going."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 15, 2015, 01:00:48 am »

Adrik:
The smith is quite taken a back by Adrik's bluntness, and blusters "Well, if you don't want any of my stock, I say GOOD DAY SIR," before stomping off to shout at one of his apprentices.

Arwen:
Arwn, missing the universe's hint, heads off to the temple to Chauntea in his search for books on magic. The elderly half-elf priest, Eadyan Falconmoon, greets Arwen at the gates of temple. They lie in ruins after the raid, and everyone is too busy repairing their own homes to aid the temple, Falconmoon explains. While putting a kettle on for tea, Falconmoon listens to Arwen's request.
"I would think that your wizard friend, the dwarf, that she would be your first stop for magical tutelage. In my time on this world, I've seen quite a bit of magic. Cast quite a bit of it too. When I was just about your age, I was an adventurer too, if you can believe it. Not much, mind you; Chauntea only needed my arm for a short time. Thanks to your help, I avoided most of the raiders that night, but not everyone was so lucky. I heard many stories, stories of things I hadn't heard of for ages. Dark, dark magic. Magic that should have been banished long, long ago. And it was, I had thought, but apparently not. Take my advice, son," the priest says, handing Arwen a warm mug of a thin tea, "your cleric friend, wassername, Marelli, she's got it right. Arcane magic's only going to take you so far in this fight. You need the favor of the gods themselves. If you're looking to wield magical power, the gods grant it to anyone who believes as they do. Of course, they're notoriously fickle."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 15, 2015, 01:07:53 am »

"If'n ye want your stock to sell, p'raps ye should nae be chargin 70 gold over th' price.  Oh, and nae try'n'a fob off yer apprentices' dreck as high quality.  Ooh, or storming off when the budget doesn't support a purchase.  If'n I was int'rested, I'm nae more."
Idiot.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:14:13 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 15, 2015, 11:06:16 am »

Arwen nods, listening to the priest's tale. He had indeed felt the hand of divine intervention before, during his fight with Cyanwrath. Looking back on it, something miraculous MUST have happened... By all rights that fight should have been impossible to win on his own, especially lifting an armored half-dragon as he did. He'd have to figure out which deities to thank later though.

"I'll have to ask her once we get moving again... I fear the longer we wait the worse off we'll be. I thank you for your advice, Falconmoon. And I'll have to figure out which deities have been watching me thus far. I think some find me... entertaining?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 15, 2015, 12:07:05 pm »

Arwen curses, catching himself from falling as he turns to face her.

"Sorry Johanna. Are you alright? I was... a bit lost in my own mind. I should have been watching where I was going."

Johanna had been mentally measuring the quantum arcane bypass flow of plus~ether into the sub-ley of the native planes temporal cortex, when Arwen crashed into her, ruining her interior calculations.

"...Uh? I was just thinking to myself, as well. About...the smell of baking bread. Sure. What did you have on your mind?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 15, 2015, 12:14:25 pm »

A few minutes ago, Arwen nods. Baking bread could be distracting, he knew firsthand. Especially back home... he should visit home some time. But now? He had business to talk.

"I want to learn Magic."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 15, 2015, 12:50:32 pm »

"Oh, is that all! Heh. It took me the better part of fifty years to get the hang of it. I suppose you'll want to enroll in a magical college? I can give you some good references..." she said dryly. This was her idea of a joke.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 15, 2015, 12:58:17 pm »

Arwen shook his head. He didn't have that kind of time, OR that kind of money.

"Actually... I've been thinking maybe I can learn it myself? Most magic I've seen you do is about the proper words and the right motions, right? So if I can memorize those, I should be able to pull it off!"

The look on his face informs her that he's put some serious thought into this.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 15, 2015, 01:15:28 pm »

"Yeah, you make it sound easy!

Wizardly magic is a personal thing, laddie buck. It's like...baking bread, I guess. Everyone has their own recipe. The same thing that works for me might not work for you. It's time consuming, expensive, and ages you before your time. You're trying to mess with the mathematics of universal constants, boy-it's not so much casting a spell as making sure you don't burst into flame or turn yerself into a toad or a flowerpot! I spent some time as a flowerpot myself when I was learning spells in pre-magic school. It's not very exciting.

But, if you really wanna do this, I suppose I can tutor you...all I'm saying is, it won't be an easy thing, not something I can just give you. You have to work at it yourself. You'll have to neglect your martial training, to some extent-magic takes a lot from you. You might find it harder to swing that sword or heft a shield, when a spell will do the same thing...but all magic is quite finite, while your muscles and wit will last you quite a lot longer. All I'm asking is, are you committed? If you go in this half-cocked, you're apt to make a mess of yourself, and probably me too if I'm standing in the general blast radius..."
she murmured.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 15, 2015, 01:21:06 pm »

"Alright. Can we start once we get on the road? I have one more stop I'd like to make..."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 15, 2015, 01:31:41 pm »

"Sure, why not! The mysteries of the arcane await ya..."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 15, 2015, 01:35:09 pm »

Adrik idly wanders the town.
Sigtext

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 15, 2015, 01:41:01 pm »

Adrik idly wanders the town.

Random Encounter roll d100=82

A comely Succubus swoops down on you from a rooftop! She asks you what your preferences are, and how long this might take. Also money up front.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 94