Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803054 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #450 on: March 21, 2015, 08:15:59 pm »

Started my "truetrog" game. Full Troglobite mutations and a atomic powered jackhammer, gonna try and burrow my way between all the basements in the area...which is REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY goddamn slow.

Really. Really. Slow.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rivet-the-Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • C:DDA Developer
    • View Profile
    • Official C:DDA Website
« Reply #451 on: March 21, 2015, 10:04:18 pm »

Post-threshold rat mutants can burrow without tools which obviates the need for a jackhammer/pickaxe, and have excellent dark-vision which makes the whole process much easier.
“No! I must kill the demons” she shouted
The radio said “No, Rivet. You are the demons”
And then Rivet was a zombie.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 26, 2015, 08:11:35 am »

Started a new game in yesterday's experimental. I like the new skill leveling speed. Also, got great luck! A solar car in nearly mint condition five map tiles away from starting spot in wilderness scenario.

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 26, 2015, 11:10:31 am »

what is the easiest way to make fire without a lighter or things like that?

just died while raiding a mansion even though I had tons of meat and water t.t

also, fuckin books
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:13:31 am by pedrousz »

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 26, 2015, 11:20:54 am »

Make a fire drill from some skewers, but you need survival 2 iirc to do it.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 26, 2015, 11:25:44 am »

There's a way to start a fire in the daylight using lenses, I've never done it though.  They're kind of rare, I think there's a magnifying glass, oh it looks like eyeglasses work, and binoculars. (a)pply it I'd guess...

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 26, 2015, 11:45:28 am »

PTW

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 26, 2015, 04:25:24 pm »

I just lucked the hell out on a lab challenge. I spawned with night vision, and high melee, computer, and cutting weapon skills. I was able to use troglobite and rat mutagens/serums to get full night vision, and the boss room with a fusion rifle with lots of shots was only defended by a couple of manhacks. I lasted almost two weeks before I got careless and just walked right into a turret room. I was on my way to demolish my way out of the lab (a barracks had stopped me until then, zombie soldiers are absolute murder at close range) with the fusion rifle, and I just carelessly strolled into a dead end room and got shot all to pieces. I'm so pissed but I need to start another one right now. Next time I'll take cannibal too, being reduced to eating the dead scientists meant I could either eat for the day, or get stuff done.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 26, 2015, 05:57:59 pm »

I just lucked the hell out on a lab challenge. I spawned with night vision, and high melee, computer, and cutting weapon skills. I was able to use troglobite and rat mutagens/serums to get full night vision, and the boss room with a fusion rifle with lots of shots was only defended by a couple of manhacks. I lasted almost two weeks before I got careless and just walked right into a turret room. I was on my way to demolish my way out of the lab (a barracks had stopped me until then, zombie soldiers are absolute murder at close range) with the fusion rifle, and I just carelessly strolled into a dead end room and got shot all to pieces. I'm so pissed but I need to start another one right now. Next time I'll take cannibal too, being reduced to eating the dead scientists meant I could either eat for the day, or get stuff done.
how do you even know when is the time to sleep? :P

someone can explain me what this means?
Tuned skilling progression for making archery items to allow bootstrapping.
I guess archery is easier, but how should I use it on my favor to go full hunter?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #459 on: March 26, 2015, 06:41:52 pm »

how do you even know when is the time to sleep? :P

someone can explain me what this means?
Go to sleep when you get tired, if it's safe to do so. Otherwise start working on getting to a safe place to sleep when you do get tired.
Since there's no sun, and thus no time-affected lighting (or anything else AFAIK) there's no reason to prefer sleeping at any regular time period.

Personally, I don't really care about the time of day for sleeping anyway, and simply make my plans for the current waking cycle based on needs and conditions. If I'm in need of food and it's dark, I raid a city. If it's light, I forage or hunt wildlife. Etc. etc.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 26, 2015, 06:49:13 pm »

I keep dying to my own stupidity. I'm playing the lab challenge and every single time, every single time, I open a door with to a turret room. Then, instead of just closing the door, I walk into the room anyway. Also every single mutation I get seems to be from the cephalopod family. I think the game wants me to become Cthulhu.

EDIT: And then, of course, I spawn inside a turret room.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:00:30 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 26, 2015, 08:09:09 pm »

Shift-X greatly increased the survivability of my characters in the lab. It lets you peek around corners without actually stepping through them. stuff won't see you if you do, and that includes turrets. From there it's just a matter of leaving a signal in front of dangerous doors.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 26, 2015, 08:14:00 pm »

Man I got creamed by turrets even with shift-X, it was a few months ago so maybe it's better now.  Now, I'm just a lot more careful - looking for lit-up walls, opening doors from the side and looking for suspiciously lit areas.  I dunno if being unwounded/at full(ish) speed has anything to do with it, but I *almost* always have a move to react before getting shot, so I can close the door, or move out of the LOS of the turret and then move back out of sight range and throw stuff at it til it dies (2x4's SO handy).

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 27, 2015, 04:24:22 am »

Yeah, Peek is the cornerstone of surviving labs, but it still counts as and action - that's why you can still get shot at.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 27, 2015, 07:57:08 am »

Man I got creamed by turrets even with shift-X, it was a few months ago so maybe it's better now.

Visibility does not precisely match line-of-sight. You can have firing LOS through dark areas (i.e. you can shoot past something that should be casting a shadow and blocking your sight), for example, because they are calculated differently (visibility is approximated). Similarly, that turret can shoot you around the corner sometimes, even though you can't see it so it shouldn't see you. It would be prohibitively expensive to calculate them in the same manner.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 451