Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803097 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1905 on: August 01, 2015, 08:44:37 pm »

Hes probably talking about the NPCs, which are semi-functional still. Getting worked on, and not done yet.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: August 01, 2015, 08:51:30 pm »

Hes probably talking about the NPCs, which are semi-functional still. Getting worked on, and not done yet.
Personally they're good enough that I'd recommend turning on static's and leaving randoms off though. Some of those static NPC quests can be quite fun to do after all.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: August 01, 2015, 08:56:17 pm »

The randoms suck mostly because they spawn -constantly-

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: August 01, 2015, 09:49:20 pm »

I have static and random on, in the world I lowered random NPC spawn down to something like 0.1 or 0.2  Still get the very occasional NPC but haven't seen a new one in a ingame season.  that seems like a nice balance between noone outside quest stuff and being buried under them.

Besides some of the extra stuff you can do in the refugee center and such is giving one of your meatshields followers a day job working on a deathtrap barn.  Can't make money at that without some expendable warm bodies. OSHA is sorely missed in the post apocalypse.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: August 01, 2015, 10:08:46 pm »

I have static and random on, in the world I lowered random NPC spawn down to something like 0.1 or 0.2  Still get the very occasional NPC but haven't seen a new one in a ingame season.  that seems like a nice balance between noone outside quest stuff and being buried under them.

That sounds really good actually, I haven't tried out the experimentals yet. Is the random scale factor part of experimentals or you had to dig a bit deeper? My main gripe with random NPCs as most have said is that the game becomes Cataclysm: DayZ Mod Ahead.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: August 01, 2015, 10:35:07 pm »

Part of experimental just one of the world options, don't know when it was added but I'm running 0.C3381 now, which is probably a little under a month old.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: August 02, 2015, 06:16:50 am »

So is your own faction a feature yet? I can place a bulletin board and tell people to wait at base, but that seems to be it. Is there at least a way to get rid of the starving descriptor under the factions page? I have enough food to feed a city. Literally.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:27:16 pm by Micro102 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1912 on: August 02, 2015, 07:43:01 am »

I haven't tried out the experimentals yet.
Honestly you should ONLY be playing the experimentals imo. They're much better than the stable releases in general.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: August 02, 2015, 08:07:33 am »

I haven't tried out the experimentals yet.
Honestly you should ONLY be playing the experimentals imo. They're much better than the stable releases in general.

Better and more stable in many cases.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: August 02, 2015, 12:00:16 pm »

Honestly y'all should probably just rename it to "Latest" or something? Because a lot of people see "experimental" and think "buggy"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: August 02, 2015, 12:14:21 pm »

Honestly y'all should probably just rename it to "Latest" or something? Because a lot of people see "experimental" and think "buggy"

Technically it is buggy, but so is "stable".

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: August 02, 2015, 12:34:21 pm »

I think 'experimental' is a fine name, considering it's all about throwing features at a wall to see what sticks. I don't think 'stable' is very descriptive, though. Something along the lines of 'playtested' would fit better, in my opinion.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: August 04, 2015, 05:59:26 am »

Speaking of stable releases when will the next one arrive?

I'm excited for more craftables in the future. Especially improved chemistry craftables.

One day you should be able to grow vegetables in the backyard, let them rot, put them into sterilized flasks and end up with penicillin.

Total pipe-dream but it'd be nice if the NPC AI did things like formed road conveys that attempted to trade with you for gas if they drove past or gangs that assaulted your base (if you have a base).

It'd be cool if you could find a spray-can and tag messages to walls as well (actually, can we already do that? That seems like a thing we might be able to do?)

More random threats would be nice because once you have an established base surviving is easy. Maybe there could be outside threats? Like a fire could start and spread? Or perhaps a nuclear reactor goes into meltdown and you need to venture out of your base to stop it. Something that either endangers a players base or forces them outside of it.

Something that would work very well with the NPC AI would be to have them form gangs/groups/communities and take 'territories' on the map. Each city might be divided up into several territories for example. The groups would patrol their territories, keep intruders out and also occasionally mount attacks on neighboring territories. When trading with groups you could even abstract their inventories based on what territories they controlled. Do they have a couple of gun shops? Well then they'll be well stocked on weapons... No bar for miles? Perhaps they'll spend big to buy some booze off you.

EDIT: Have they finally fixed the experimental tiles/graphical version so it can be worked again in CodeBlocks?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:08:31 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: August 04, 2015, 08:39:29 pm »

As BigD145 noted, there's plenty of times that the experimental is buggy. Move fast and break things and all that (though we try to break as little as we need to :P).

Speaking of stable releases when will the next one arrive?
Next time we all get together and say "it's time to do a new stable release". You'll get a couple of weeks warning as we shut down new features, then shut down string changes so that all the translators can catch up.

Total pipe-dream but it'd be nice if the NPC AI did things like formed road conveys that attempted to trade with you for gas if they drove past or gangs that assaulted your base (if you have a base).
Definitely on the "someday" list, though it's probably quite a ways off.
It'd be cool if you could find a spray-can and tag messages to walls as well (actually, can we already do that? That seems like a thing we might be able to do?)
Definite +1 from me if it's not in already. Should be fairly simple to do, though hypothetically you could end up with some small weirdness where things stenciled on the outside of the walls can also be read from the inside (since there's no "sides" to walls).
More random threats would be nice because once you have an established base surviving is easy. Maybe there could be outside threats? Like a fire could start and spread? Or perhaps a nuclear reactor goes into meltdown and you need to venture out of your base to stop it. Something that either endangers a players base or forces them outside of it.
The biggest competitor we've got for this right now is Hordes 2.0 (which we're currently getting backend pieces for into place, though it's still a ways off). Honestly though we're going to be looking at spreading factions more than disasters for a late game challenge though (since honestly there's not much the player is going to do in the event of a forest fire or nuclear meltdown). On the other hand you might be able to fight an encroaching triffid army, or work to burn out a nearby Mycus infestation, and so on. You might even end up pairing with one of the threats to help take out another in certain cases!
Something that would work very well with the NPC AI would be to have them form gangs/groups/communities and take 'territories' on the map. Each city might be divided up into several territories for example. The groups would patrol their territories, keep intruders out and also occasionally mount attacks on neighboring territories. When trading with groups you could even abstract their inventories based on what territories they controlled. Do they have a couple of gun shops? Well then they'll be well stocked on weapons... No bar for miles? Perhaps they'll spend big to buy some booze off you.
This is definitely planned, but it'll go beyond just NPC's. Triffids, Mycus, the zombies, military robot groups, Horrors, humans, the Mi-go... all of them should eventually be able to carve out and claim their own (sometimes big, sometimes little) areas, which will then develop in different ways as time goes on. You can then get all sorts of interesting conflicts where the territories meet, and it'll lead to a more "patchwork" feel to the whole world as well as definite changes should the player end up throwing in with one particular group or another to help them expand their territory.
EDIT: Have they finally fixed the experimental tiles/graphical version so it can be worked again in CodeBlocks?
Honestly it's probably not going to happen unless someone who desires it cracks down and figures out exactly how to do it. Almost all of the developers use the ASCII versions, and I don't think there are any right now that use graphics and are developing on Code::Blocks as opposed to on something else. No developer demand for it = it doesn't happen in most cases, so you'll probably need to either figure it out yourself or convince someone else that they want to do it. As for now the ASCII version does compile just fine on Code::Blocks, so if you want to develop something that isn't directly related to tiles that should allow you to do so.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: August 04, 2015, 08:50:04 pm »

...Will we ever be able to ally with the different factions if we so choose? I mean, there's already a fungus mutation chain, but will we be able to work with the trifids or other factions that might possibly accept the aid of a human?
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 451