Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 799936 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1995 on: August 22, 2015, 12:28:14 am »

Is bionic night vision intended to not allow crafting? Just tried washing a towel at night, but I use implanted night vision instead of a flashlight.
There's a bit of placeholder code in place for some of that stuff. The eventual goal is to make it a bit more realistic but have most forms of night vision fail in absolute darkness to account for the total absence of light. A flag for crafting things that don't necessarily need sight might be a good idea, though it would probably come with a hefty time penalty in pitch blackness.

Also, are Shocker brutes supposed to be able to slam you when they're four tiles away? Are they charge tackling you or something?
Or if it shocked you first...
Probably this. My guess is that it zapped you, then ran up and slammed you. Alternatively I know we had a few problems for a little while with specials being used beyond their intended range, so if you are using an older experimental that might have been the problem.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: August 22, 2015, 01:50:23 am »

One could unravel a sweater for yarn in pitch black.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: August 22, 2015, 10:08:11 am »

You'd realistically get better at performing tasks without sight as do people with total visual impairment. Not convinced it would be worth modelling this improvement; Unless I am mistaken blindness is always short-lived in game. Surviving as a completely blind character would be impossible, for me at least, and I'd imagine being totally blind in the situation depicted would be pretty impossible.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: August 22, 2015, 10:31:05 am »

Even with tons of perks in hearing and really high perception, any noises are still impecise. You'd stumble and monsters would get so many free hits on you.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: August 22, 2015, 11:17:09 am »

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22630204-100-human-bat-uses-echoes-and-sounds-to-see-the-world/

There was also a deaf guy who died at 21 i think? who was using the same principale as bat, using echo-location. WIth the right trainning you can train your brain to decode any kind of information.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: August 22, 2015, 11:55:34 am »

Decode? Not really. Imagine in terms of something known but unrelated? Yes. Your brain can make up all sorts of things. Still, not in the game.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: August 22, 2015, 12:59:50 pm »

There was also a deaf guy who died at 21 i think? who was using the same principale as bat, using echo-location. WIth the right trainning you can train your brain to decode any kind of information.
I'm assuming you mean blind. :P

That said this isn't exactly a "pick it up in a week" type of thing. We're talking years of study to become proficient at it. Additionally the one place that teaches that type of location (World Access for the Blind, which was started by that 21 year old guy) has noted that because the system utilizes part of your visual cortex to help with the mapping process, and your visual cortex tends to default to visual stimulus, in many cases it simply isn't possible to work on developing such a skill while you are having any visual input happening. To quote them:
However, since the imaging system tends to default to visual input, it may be necessary, and we have often found it so, to isolate some or all of the nonvisual skills and perceptual training from visual input. We call it "isolate, then integrate." FlashSonar is one but only one very good example of when a perceptual process really needs to be isolated from visual input in order to give it any chance of developing. Students simply do not develop FlashSonar or many other skills when you have the visual system grabbing at visual information, often erroneously, thereby usurping, short circuiting, disrupting, or whatever, the development of other areas of integrated perception. It may and often does become prudent to to offer experiences of visual  occlusion during portions of the perceptual training. These spans of visual occlusion may provide opportunities for nonvisual perceptual capacities to take hold and grow, where they might otherwise not.
So not only are you going to need to spend months to start developing the skill (years to become proficient), you're going to need to spend a significant portion of that time either blindfolded, with your eyes closed, or in pitch blackness. It's the type of skill that if it existed you'd either get through picking it up through a profession (that would probably make you blind/have bad vision as well) or that you would get through a mutation rewriting your brain, not something a survivor would learn over the course of a game.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: August 22, 2015, 01:01:21 pm »

A sonar-location bionic would also be cool.
Nom nom nom

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: August 22, 2015, 01:04:39 pm »

I read that as 'solar location.'

I was going to make a witty post about an arrow that'd pop out of your arm to show you the sun :P

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: August 22, 2015, 01:31:58 pm »

That said this isn't exactly a "pick it up in a week" type of thing.
Considering that such fields as martial arts, driving, chemistry, gunsmithing, cybernetics and many others are exactly that sort of thing in-game, your logic doesn't hold very well.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: August 22, 2015, 01:43:49 pm »

Considering that such fields as martial arts, driving, chemistry, gunsmithing, cybernetics and many others are exactly that sort of thing in-game, your logic doesn't hold very well.

Driving takes years to build up in-game. Honestly the rate at which you level driving versus martial arts should probably be switched.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: August 22, 2015, 02:22:32 pm »

I'll give you martial arts, and honestly I'd eventually like to take it to a stage where you basically need an NPC to teach you at a decent rate, with book-learning being limited to heavily penalized speeds and low caps on the amount of skill. (Though ideally if you know a handful of other martial arts it should lessen the penalty because you'd be better at catching your own mistakes and extrapolating from them).

Driving honestly you can pick up the basics in a couple of hours, and a vast majority in a couple of days (assuming automatic transmission, which current trends say that probably all of our cars in C:DDA are going to be unless specifically otherwise). After that becoming proficient is more a matter of encountering more emergency situations for you to deal with than any matter of practice. :P

Cybernetics a lot of the backend is done already by the bionic itself, but there are definitely plans to require you to either have a helper machine or otherwise make the process a bit more complex then "push against skin, press button".

As for the others it's more a gameyness thing, though I do have some eventual plans to slow down/rebalance progression somewhat, partially by further splits of recipe and skill knowledge. Even at low skills if I have a book that tells me exactly what to do I'm probably going to be able to pull off things that are well above my normal skill level, while without one I'm not going to be able to do much.

Mainly it's a matter of how easy it is to pick up a skill in the first place, with many things (such as chemistry or driving) being below what I would personally consider the "normal" skill threshold while others (such as echolocation sight) being above it. There's a reason why we don't often hear stories of people echolocating after all. :P

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: August 22, 2015, 02:33:51 pm »

Temperature might need tweaking. It's only 73 degrees out and yet my torso is hot with only a military rucksack on it. Kind of silly. The only way I can go around while avoiding being warm or worse is completely naked or 0 warmth clothing.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: August 22, 2015, 02:41:58 pm »

For the idea of combat skills training quickly, I always just kinda looked at it for a scenario of life-or-death based on learning.  Sure most people hitting a punching bag, or sparring with another human might take years to become an amazing unarmed combatant... when you are fighting for literally hours a day with zombies intent on eating your sweet human flesh... I'd imagine you'd learn how to fight very very quickly.
Nom nom nom

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: August 22, 2015, 03:53:30 pm »

Driving honestly you can pick up the basics in a couple of hours, and a vast majority in a couple of days (assuming automatic transmission, which current trends say that probably all of our cars in C:DDA are going to be unless specifically otherwise). After that becoming proficient is more a matter of encountering more emergency situations for you to deal with than any matter of practice. :P

My character fumbles with the controls for weeks.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 451