Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 802340 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2010 on: August 22, 2015, 04:52:09 pm »

For the idea of combat skills training quickly, I always just kinda looked at it for a scenario of life-or-death based on learning.  Sure most people hitting a punching bag, or sparring with another human might take years to become an amazing unarmed combatant... when you are fighting for literally hours a day with zombies intent on eating your sweet human flesh... I'd imagine you'd learn how to fight very very quickly.

In reality the first thing you'd learn would probably be: Use a weapon, anything really, don't just punch and kick them. Least of all, a weapon gives you some reach.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: August 22, 2015, 05:50:47 pm »

My character fumbles with the controls for weeks.

You get skillups for actually manipulating the car. Turning left or right will advance the game timer 1 tick. Ergo: drive by pressing adadadadadadadadadadadadadad for a few days and you'll get driving to 4 quickly.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: August 22, 2015, 11:00:14 pm »

* sneaks into a city at night, finds self propelled howitzer just sitting in a city street*

*finds a dozen 155mm HEAT anti-tank shells inside*

*stares at my screen in longing, but am currently surrounded by unaware zombies with no armor and a combat knife*

Dorfs R Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: August 22, 2015, 11:53:18 pm »

Do you or do you not? Drink the glass flask of mutagen?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: August 23, 2015, 12:40:58 am »

Also, I'd like to report my Albino getting irritated at the sunlight... at one am.

I don't believe the moon gets quite THAT bright old chaps.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2015 on: August 23, 2015, 01:06:32 am »

Why didin't you use the SPG to wreck the zombies though? I am no expert but I suppose that zombies die from 155mm HEAT pretty good.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2016 on: August 23, 2015, 08:25:27 am »

I'd guess a combination of two factors:
1) the SPG isn't in drive-able condition
2) 12 rounds of anything short of a mininuke isn't enough to pull off a stationary defense against the mobs that you'll aggro with the first shot.

If I'm mistaken about #1 though, by all means haul ass out of town and then work from the outside in, or hold it for the inevitable horde passing.

Or, just salvage the HEAT rounds for what I imagine should be a heck of a lot of gunpowder/propellant.
(Never done this in-game, but it's basically reasonable, given that we're assuming a SPG isn't using separate propellant charges.)

blazing glory

« Reply #2017 on: August 23, 2015, 09:31:48 am »

Last I checked the SPH (howitzer) is unfortunately driven by remote control or some such, thus requiring you to at least switch out the controls.

I'm fairly sure that 12 shells is more then enough to make a hole and escape, unless it's an actual zombie horde, he didn't really mention if it's a horde or not.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: August 23, 2015, 03:30:00 pm »

I was in the center of an untouched town so there were likely a bunch of zombies. Including predators and corrosives and hulks. And yeah, there were seats in the howitzer, but no proper controls and I've never used remote controls.

There was enough diesel fuel in its storage to drive it out though, and it was relatively intact. I marked it on my map.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: August 23, 2015, 04:47:38 pm »

2500 nails he wants. 2500 nails...and the three hardware stores in the two closest towns had exactly zerohundred nails. Then my computer turned off, and I am not sure when I last saved.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: August 23, 2015, 04:48:18 pm »

2500 nails he wants. 2500 nails...and the three hardware stores in the two closest towns had exactly zerohundred nails. Then my computer turned off, and I am not sure when I last saved.
And that is exactly why autosave is your friend. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: August 23, 2015, 04:52:41 pm »

I usually save before sleeping. But I might have skipped some. :D

Anyway, not the games fault.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: August 23, 2015, 05:37:25 pm »

.... zombie grabs are op. Despite having 120 pain, two nearly crippled legs, and the bugged adrenaline pump adrenaline comedown, I would have gotten away. Also my decreased strength meant both of my knives kept getting stuck, and I ran out of ammo.

Also, apparently you can't wield a hunting knife with only one arm. Which also didn't help. *coughs*

Goddamn was that character a monster though. Took a couple dozen zombies like a hundred turns to chip her down. In a bikini. If literally everything hadn't gone wrong she'd have been fine. Still killed almost everything with fire.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2023 on: August 23, 2015, 07:06:48 pm »

Obviously she ascribed to the Cloud school of hunting equipment. :P

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: August 24, 2015, 06:04:35 am »

Can't help with the computer but nails are easy. find a multi tile building like a school or office tower and burn it down. Add nails to auto pickup and walk over the rubble. Having a shovel helps.

And that is exactly why autosave is your friend. :P
It's your friend until it autosaves just as zombie predators and a hulk jump at you from the darkness... The best thing to do is save before sleeping. At worst you will lose a day of progress.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 451