Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803170 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2385 on: October 06, 2015, 07:57:05 am »

From my experience, buckshot is way larger than birdshot pellets, so I dont know where he got that from :v

Here's a visual comparison of common 12 gauge ammo:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note: There are several variations of birdshot, with larger or smaller pellets. It stops being considered birdshot when the pellets get to about 0.240" in diameter, which is the smallest size of buckshot, IIRC. The largest birdshot I know is about 0.190" in diameter, which is pretty large for birdshot.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: October 06, 2015, 10:37:23 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell#Buckshot
On second look, it's [Citation Needed], but no one seems to be disputing it.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: October 07, 2015, 06:46:25 am »

I mean if you're serious about the discussion, Wikipedia is never a reliable source. It gets some things right, but the etymology of birdshot vs. buckshot is probably missing / not the full story.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: October 07, 2015, 09:29:39 am »

That said, the z-levels option (not mod) has been making some progress, albeit not quite as fast as before since we're reworking some of the more difficult bits of z-level code.

Well, good luck with it. I'm looking forward to playing it again once the z-levels are in.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: October 07, 2015, 10:47:19 pm »

I mean if you're serious about the discussion, Wikipedia is never a reliable source.
Considering the fact that no one has cited a source other than wikipedia, this is evidently not a serious discussion :)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: October 08, 2015, 12:09:17 am »

Buckshot is bigger than birdshot.  Citation: I saw a broken shotgun stock once.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: October 08, 2015, 01:30:42 am »

I mean if you're serious about the discussion, Wikipedia is never a reliable source. It gets some things right, but the etymology of birdshot vs. buckshot is probably missing / not the full story.

Care to enlighten us?

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: October 09, 2015, 01:21:04 am »

Speaking of shotguns, I found a Kel-Tec KSG. Based on the hulls lying all over the place, I'm going to guess that the second tube doesn't use the mods you've installed for some reason.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: October 09, 2015, 10:50:27 am »

So in "Baker's Remarks on the Rifle", published first in 1805 it includes this list of standard sizes:
Buck Shot, large - 0.388"
Buck Shot, small - 0.349"
Grape, for musket - 0.318"
Swan - 0.266"
Goose - 0.231"
Duck - 0.207"
B.B. - 0.183"
B. - 0.157"
This looks like a pretty clear case of "buckshot" originally being "buck shot" and "birdshot" being a combined size range of several types of various bird shots. It's a simple case of something that was once commonly used to hunt a specific animal being mashed together into a single word, no apparent tricks there. (Note: I'm not saying anything about hunting practices now, I'm talking about practices hundreds of years ago; it's irrelevant if you don't use buckshot to hunt bucks anymore, it's only important that they once did.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: October 09, 2015, 12:48:53 pm »

You do, in fact, generally use buckshot to hunt 'bucks' and other medium to kind of large game animals, and birdshot to hunt birds and other small game. Buckshot hits hard enough to take down a decent-sized animal quickly, while birdshot's large pellet count mean that it's easier to hit a small, fast-moving creature with something. Slugs, the third common option, are useful for big game, like moose and smaller varieties of bear.

Buckshot would probably be the best option for hunting humanoids, especially zombies where heavy trauma is really important.
Nothing important here, move along.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: October 09, 2015, 01:56:35 pm »

Speaking of shotguns, I found a Kel-Tec KSG. Based on the hulls lying all over the place, I'm going to guess that the second tube doesn't use the mods you've installed for some reason.

I've been using one for awhile, but I can't figure out how to load/switch between tubes.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: October 09, 2015, 02:53:36 pm »

Loading is just spamming R, and switching is F.
Rather, it normally is
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: October 09, 2015, 03:38:23 pm »

The second tube should load as long as you either have another type of ammo to (r) load into it or are at the maximum capacity for the first tube. You can also load the second tube directly by (F) switching to it first, but that's kind of buggy since you don't seem to have a limit to how many shells you can put into it.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: October 09, 2015, 04:05:29 pm »

The second tube should load as long as you either have another type of ammo to (r) load into it or are at the maximum capacity for the first tube. You can also load the second tube directly by (F) switching to it first, but that's kind of buggy since you don't seem to have a limit to how many shells you can put into it.

"Why are you moving so slowly Bob? You're literally naked and only carrying that shotgun"
*Zombear Legion attacks*
*Bob fires 7000 shots*
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: October 10, 2015, 12:31:19 am »

This looks like a pretty clear case of "buckshot" originally being "buck shot" and "birdshot" being a combined size range of several types of various bird shots.
There seems to be some misunderstanding, "where the name came from" and "the rule of thumb to decide which is which" don't necessarily have anything to do with each other.  It seems pretty likely that Buck-shot is "shot you hunt buck with", especially when it's accompanied with "birdshot" "ratshot" et all.  However that doesn't say anything about where to draw the line between the two.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 451