Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803051 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3315 on: May 12, 2016, 04:36:40 am »

You could always have the Zoo or Animal-storage have a switch that opens all cages and released the animals, creating randrom partly non-hostile animals and infighting zombie animals, so a mixed blessing?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: May 12, 2016, 05:15:11 am »

Got my base mostly back to the way I had it before yesterday's unsaved exit. Just missing the entire day's worth of cramming a chemistry textbook that I lost.

It's actually slightly better than it was - during the looting run on a school where the previous save I grabbed a few extra fire extinguishers and placed them in strategic points around my base; one of those fortified basements with the dead guy behind the sandbags. I figure with all the flammables and chemicals(the main point of the run was finding that chemistry textbook; almost gave up before I found the chemistry classrooms) lying around the base, and there being one single exit, an accidental fire would become a major problem really quick.

And of course, I immediately saved.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: May 12, 2016, 05:51:31 am »

Im asking if anybody has any ideas for wildlife/Zanimal mutations they have.  its somewhat vexing me
Zombified ravens that cause blindness with their attacks?
Zombified ravens that don't damage you but follow you around and make you hallucinate as long as they're onscreen. Said hallucination is a constant ticking every few turns, which progressively gets louder and covers up any sound on that turn after a certain point.

Killing the raven gives a happiness boost and ends the hallucination, but good luck hitting it without crazy accuracy.
Black lives matter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: May 12, 2016, 07:24:33 am »

After a long time, decomposing zombies become "decomposed blobs", pretty much just a blob with a pile of bones it it. It spits bone shards at you.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: May 12, 2016, 07:47:47 am »

Giant cricket: Doesn't do much damage on melee, but can create super loud sounds that cause damage in an area and causes temporary deafness. Can leap really far but is otherwise slow.

Zombie assimilator: Starts off weak but can eat/assimilate corpses to gain stacking flat HP increase and melee damage, but becomes slower and slower the more bodies it assimilates.

A slenderman thing that only spawns under certain circunstances (maybe only after using a certain artifact or something). Always spawns far from the player and only stays on line of sight for a bit before teleporting elsewhere. Will ocasionaly appear closer and closer to the player, up to the point it gets in melee range, in which it does a devastating attack then disappears. Drops special loot if killed, maybe? Can appear as an hallucination due to drugs/schizophrenia.

Giant antlion: Generally a sarlacc type thing. Immobile, only lives in its own pits. Pits are slippery and will often cause monsters/the player to fall down and ocasionaly move towards the antlion. Can be butchered for lots of meat and carapace.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:57:40 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: May 12, 2016, 07:50:22 am »

Giant termite. Non-aggressive unless provoked, but wantonly destroys wooden structures.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: May 12, 2016, 09:26:30 am »

Ideal blob: the eventual endstate of zombie evolution. Rather than integrating itself into a human body, this blob has integrated human genetic material into itself, giving itself greatly increased intelligence, speed, and dexterity. It moves faster than normal blobs and can wield weapons.

(No idea how plausible any of that it.)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: May 12, 2016, 11:57:17 am »

Well some of these are more doable than others under the current codings.

Sonic birds, yes
bone spitting zombie, yes if its a custom gun
termite, of course, with a little modding we could probably even give it a randomly generated home like ants have.
assimilation zombie would require code to help it get stronger after eating.
Antlion could be an immobile can_dig critter who spawns en masse and such.  Definitely if we get desert biomes.
Putrid blobs could be a coded in thing.
Crickets could be a later appearing field thing.  I actually like the idea, but being a loud mf only really matters if hordes.
Raven cant be zombified because lore, and hallucination isnt something I know how to cause.  other flying predators would be nice in general.  Do want flying predators.
Zombie zoo sounds horrifiying and would require new monsters.  Could do.
Zombie giant snakes is an interesting bypass.  Most giant critters are invertebrates, so a snake might be?  idk.
biogun critters arent out of the question, but it needs to be semi-real
blindness causing ravens could work.  Give them a gun with a range of 1 and make their ammo cause blindness.

These are pretty good.  It seems like such a large task to put together a whole new ecosystem >.<

My own thoughts are which animals die out and which come foreward.  Moose have to die.  Majestic beings such as they are.  Giant spiders need more umph, but invertabrates are only affected by the blob in limited fashion, which is why the zombies generally leave the insects alone.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:59:46 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: May 12, 2016, 11:59:30 am »

not zombie ravens, raven ravens (although i wasnt aware of non-zombie-raven lore anyway)

also hallucinations could be a status effect provided by the ravens, like the blindness ammo?
Black lives matter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: May 12, 2016, 12:25:37 pm »

Why would raven ravens cause hallucination? They're nice! D: (At least, I know crows are. Ravens don't actually live here >_>)

Void ravens or something though, I could see.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: May 12, 2016, 12:37:35 pm »

not zombie ravens, raven ravens (although i wasnt aware of non-zombie-raven lore anyway)

also hallucinations could be a status effect provided by the ravens, like the blindness ammo?
Its not specifically ravens so much as a size thing.  Blobs require sufficient native biomass to manipulate, and need to accumulate enough blob-mass within the critter to use it.

Small animals, gianted invertabrates, and the non-meat of the other invaders are no-go zones for the blobs, and so they would prefer to leave them alone for the time until they can alter the world to their tastes.  Which presumably would kill most life, and those that didn't die would become like the other 'wildlife' that lives in blob-infested worlds.

Things like krecks, grackens, and blank bodies seems to exist amoungst the 3 warring factions, and things like mi-gos seem to actually be smaller factions that are constantly hostile to the major factions.

Though idk just how much of actual lovecraftian lore the devs are stealing for the mi-gos.  in the books they were slavers, not sure how intelligent they are here.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: May 12, 2016, 12:51:52 pm »

Actually, I was combining The Telltale Heart with The Raven. :P
Black lives matter.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: May 12, 2016, 04:29:43 pm »

So.  Changes.  Evolutions.  Most of these would take place well into and after the first year of living.

Spoiler: Mega-bear (click to show/hide)
^^ inspired by the megasloth

Spoiler: vampire bat (click to show/hide)
^^ no resemblance to actual vampire bats.

Spoiler: medusa spider (click to show/hide)
^^  Maybe medusa isnt the proper name for a blind acid spitting spider.

Ive just taken steps to add a population to the spider pits, and Zombies are going to wait until the new scorchers are better playtested, both in vanilla and my own version.
PKs DF Mod!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: May 12, 2016, 04:38:22 pm »

replace acid with lava and "blind" with "has a sword" and you have quelaag
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 451