Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803156 times)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3645 on: August 16, 2016, 04:14:19 pm »

So, as someone who last played when smacking apart a locker and bashing a pipe into a crowbar made a normal instead of a makeshift one, what's the current meta-build for getting a good run?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: August 16, 2016, 04:51:21 pm »

So, as someone who last played when smacking apart a locker and bashing a pipe into a crowbar made a normal instead of a makeshift one, what's the current meta-build for getting a good run?

According to some of the people here, obtain hella guns, get 4ish skill from books and pump everything full of bullets.

**I** however, am a PURIST and DISDAIN ranged combat.
Spoiler: My build (click to show/hide)

I wrote a lot more then I intended. Note that no mention was made of Hordes or NPCs, since I don't play with those. If you're using either of those, a more defensible/mobile base is probably a LOT more important.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: August 16, 2016, 05:18:04 pm »

Try having NPCs on! They're now much less buggy, and can be recruited. If you recruit them, they'll hit/block zombies, help with crafting, and you can stop them from looting.

Early game easy archery has been nerfed. I think you need to learn the essential recipes from books (I'm not quite sure on this. You might be able to make arrows if you start with archery, but you can't do [zero skill > self bow & "arrows" > longbow and metal arrows] anymore.)

At higher skill levels you can reload ammo just from a DIY supply chain from the woods now.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: August 16, 2016, 05:30:15 pm »

Try having NPCs on! They're now much less buggy, and can be recruited. If you recruit them, they'll hit/block zombies, help with crafting, and you can stop them from looting.

Sorry, but.

8)

I WORK ALONE~!

In all seriousness, my current character is six months of experimentals behind and I fear I'd break something by upgrading. When I get bored with them or they die tragically to instadeath bullets/explosives, I'll probably get the latest version and try NPCs out.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: August 19, 2016, 08:45:53 am »

Just had an idea to make well defended bases worthwhile. Have an item that takes a certain amount of time to activate (maybe some bottom level lab device). It does something amazing but it causes all sorts of creatures to head towards it to try and destroy it (and you).

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: August 19, 2016, 09:34:15 am »

Now that we've all had some time with it, what's everyone's thoughts on the new multipool character creation system? Do you stick with the old single pool instead? What are your go-to multipool builds?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: August 19, 2016, 12:59:49 pm »

This game could use wiring and pipe mechanisms with flowing water. You can automate opening and closing doors and traps, etc... Not sure how big of a change this would be. I think it would take more than just adding them with the json as a mod.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: August 19, 2016, 01:04:53 pm »

Now that we've all had some time with it, what's everyone's thoughts on the new multipool character creation system? Do you stick with the old single pool instead? What are your go-to multipool builds?

It's only purpose seems to be to force you to use starting points on skills. I like this idea from an RP standpoint, but hate it from a tryhard's standpoint :)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: August 19, 2016, 01:09:20 pm »

Just dont be forced to.  Skills are rly importuitous guiz.  The difference between 0 and 2 first aid, 0 and 2 melee, 0 and 2 archery, 0 and 2 mechanics, all these are important.

You can rely upon magic ponies to save you, but putting these 'quality assurance' points into skills makes the early game much more smoothly.  And then I always hear people, not anyone here per se, but people complain about how easy the endgame is when they take a 14/14/14/14 character with night vision, animal empathy, judo, and fast healer, while also taking awful negatives like animal discord, wool allergy, itchy trigger finger, or squeamish,
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: August 19, 2016, 02:19:15 pm »

Oh, PK, how's the merging of your mod going?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: August 19, 2016, 03:56:45 pm »

Oh, PK, how's the merging of your mod going?
90% done.  Most of the locations, all of the monsters, all of the location/item/monster spawns are in their proper places.

You'd be advised to keep the forum version if you were using that, but you wont be missing everything if you use the one that comes with the download.

lets see....

a beta of doomlabs
a farm
a plantation
a tractor
some weapons, like bomblets and the tesla shockcannon
some 'experimental guns'
A few beta monsters, such as the firehack and archviles.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: August 20, 2016, 11:51:04 am »

huehuehue

Ill get them to wear it too, somehow.
PKs DF Mod!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: August 20, 2016, 06:31:48 pm »

It's probably obvious, but is there some way to (re)heat up something like canned food or leftover soup, other than using a heat pack on them? It seems a little strange that that would be the only possible way, but I'm not seeing any way to do it otherwise. I'm running the latest experimental.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: August 20, 2016, 06:42:32 pm »

hotplates, sodacan kits, mess kits, mounted kitchen units.

But heat packs are all almost useless for anything else, so save the fuel when you can.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: August 20, 2016, 08:55:51 pm »

It's probably obvious, but is there some way to (re)heat up something like canned food or leftover soup, other than using a heat pack on them? It seems a little strange that that would be the only possible way, but I'm not seeing any way to do it otherwise. I'm running the latest experimental.
I love when I mistake this for the Simple Questions Thread.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 451