Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803257 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3675 on: August 29, 2016, 02:10:59 pm »

Yes, explosive power is underwhelming against non (n)pcs.  Theres a reason for that.

(N)PCs have 6 body parts.  Monsters have 1.  Thats why.

When you take explodey damage, you take 20 on your head, 15 on your torso, 5 on your left arm, etc.  This adds up to a lot of pain and a death by 1000 scratches for NPCs.

when a mon takes explosive, it take 20 on its body.  It doesnt feel pain, and it doesnt slow down due to pain, and it isnt smart enough to panic, and its immune to many secondary effects that a survivor would feel.

Additionally, most monsters have increased health in proportion to NPCs because they have but 1 part.  They also simulate the idea that most monsters, including zoms, are naturally tougher than an average humie of 80 health.  so 20 damage is piddledicks to that.

The damage dealt by raw explosions does not include any shockwaves or shrapnel.  So yes, explodies are more or less useless against mons.  Or at least you must recognize their limitations.
I have a different problem. The explosive weapons (mines, grenade-hacks) that explode right up in my (or rather, the elementary schoolgirl's) face, fail to inflict appreciable damage. The girl was wearing basic clothing, ate two grenades with her face point blank, and was right as rain after a small bundle of bandages and a sleepover in a bush. I get the feeling that basic explosive devices should be dealing more damage, or actually cause concussive damage like internal bleeding and other kinds of organ damage. I'm just saying that it's kind of silly for a schoolgirl to survive a military evil homing handgrenade, let alone two. These sort of things should be more dangerous.
Had you taken any frailty traits? Might be characteristic given the character you're looking to play as. Something like "pain intolerant" and "thin skin" (don't remember if the first one is actually a trait) would be applicable as well.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: August 29, 2016, 02:14:57 pm »

Yes, explosive power is underwhelming against non (n)pcs.  Theres a reason for that.

(N)PCs have 6 body parts.  Monsters have 1.  Thats why.

When you take explodey damage, you take 20 on your head, 15 on your torso, 5 on your left arm, etc.  This adds up to a lot of pain and a death by 1000 scratches for NPCs.

when a mon takes explosive, it take 20 on its body.  It doesnt feel pain, and it doesnt slow down due to pain, and it isnt smart enough to panic, and its immune to many secondary effects that a survivor would feel.

Additionally, most monsters have increased health in proportion to NPCs because they have but 1 part.  They also simulate the idea that most monsters, including zoms, are naturally tougher than an average humie of 80 health.  so 20 damage is piddledicks to that.

The damage dealt by raw explosions does not include any shockwaves or shrapnel.  So yes, explodies are more or less useless against mons.  Or at least you must recognize their limitations.
I have a different problem. The explosive weapons (mines, grenade-hacks) that explode right up in my (or rather, the elementary schoolgirl's) face, fail to inflict appreciable damage. The girl was wearing basic clothing, ate two grenades with her face point blank, and was right as rain after a small bundle of bandages and a sleepover in a bush. I get the feeling that basic explosive devices should be dealing more damage, or actually cause concussive damage like internal bleeding and other kinds of organ damage. I'm just saying that it's kind of silly for a schoolgirl to survive a military evil homing handgrenade, let alone two. These sort of things should be more dangerous.
Had you taken any frailty traits? Might be characteristic given the character you're looking to play as. Something like "pain intolerant" and "thin skin" (don't remember if the first one is actually a trait) would be applicable as well.
No, it hadn't occurred to me to make her extra frail. I might have to purpose-build a very frail character next time. Not sure what to do with all the bonus points though.

And I'd like to think that grenades would be better than this at killing regular adult humans too.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: August 29, 2016, 02:16:24 pm »

The last time I stood on a mine was quite a few versions ago, back when mines were scattered on roadways and completely hidden. I remember suffering so much damage that my computer had trouble calculating it. Ever since then, I've managed to avoid using mines as shoes.

I have noticed that dropping a grenade at my feet or holding dynamite with a lit fuse is significantly less deadly than it used to be. Even mininukes seem less... nukey. The radiation killed me last time I used one.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: August 29, 2016, 02:38:24 pm »

They still show on roadways hidden.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: August 29, 2016, 03:17:48 pm »

Are they actually hidden though? Last time I played(a while), mined roads were pretty obviously torn up, making them pretty easy to spot.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: August 29, 2016, 03:20:55 pm »

Yeah, the minefields themselves are typically very well marked. They even have signs posted. That doesn't mean you can absolutely not find a spontaneous trap somewhere anymore.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

qurvax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: August 30, 2016, 01:20:37 am »

There can be unmarked minefield near the campsites. Was kinda surprised by one a few versions ago.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: August 30, 2016, 02:27:08 am »

Well, technically land mines are not supposed to be lethal. An infantry mine is supposed to maim the guy stepping on it, causing a casualty that has to be treated and taken to safety. Mines meant for vehicles are another thing entirely, of course. Perhaps the game will differentiate between different types of mines at some point.

qurvax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: August 30, 2016, 05:03:23 am »

Well, technically land mines are not supposed to be lethal. An infantry mine is supposed to maim the guy stepping on it, causing a casualty that has to be treated and taken to safety. Mines meant for vehicles are another thing entirely, of course. Perhaps the game will differentiate between different types of mines at some point.

Some was "made to kill": google ОЗМ-72 or М16 APM

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: August 30, 2016, 10:55:00 am »

I have noticed that dropping a grenade at my feet or holding dynamite with a lit fuse is significantly less deadly than it used to be. Even mininukes seem less... nukey. The radiation killed me last time I used one.
Last I checked they were nerfed somewhat because people were complaining about instantly getting blown up by explosives or something similar without much hope of survival, (which honestly you shouldn't have for many weapons). That was a long while back though, so it's possible that it's something else; and if what you are speaking about is true then honestly they probably need to be somewhat buffed back at least a bit.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: August 30, 2016, 05:45:21 pm »

I might just be weird, but I don't think that simulation-ish games like this should be fair. "Survivor stumbles out of shelter, immediately explodes" seems like a perfectly valid story to me. :P
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: August 31, 2016, 12:47:39 pm »

Haha yea I can just imagine it now.   The start of fallout 4.  Going back up to the surface using the big heavy duty elevator.

That's odd there does not seem to be any light at the surface.  Shining your pip boy upwards you see why.   Solid stone!  Someone has built some kind of building foundation over the exit!  Of course! A big flat area with a commanding view of the countryside would be an idea location for a fortress!

You spend your last precious remaining seconds trying to find some way to stop the high powered elevator lifting you to your demise before being compressed into chunky soup.  The people at the surface don't even notice.

FO4 GOTY :D

Though yea I agree, explosives do seem to be underwhelming.  Nothing like firing a howitzer cannon into a horde and seemingly doing nothing to them.  Land mines in particular could probably be buffed again since the most 'death out of nowhere' ones in my experience were ones on the overmap and those are now clearly marked.  I know there are others but they seem sufficiently rare.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: August 31, 2016, 01:46:26 pm »

I might just be weird, but I don't think that simulation-ish games like this should be fair. "Survivor stumbles out of shelter, immediately explodes" seems like a perfectly valid story to me. :P
And that's not what usually pisses people off, it's the stories that were more like "Godlike survivor in year four who can explode zombies with his mind and who's player has sunk over 100 hours into him accidentally steps on landmine and explodes" that tended to make complaints appear. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: August 31, 2016, 02:01:14 pm »

You'd think people would ask for better ways to spot and avoid landmines, rather than nerfing their damage. After all, if you've put countless hours into your survivor, you will probably have had him outfitted with all kinds of schizo-tech. A specialized metal detector, for instance worn on your ankles (or built into them if you're a robot), could offer improved detection of all adjacent metallic traps, including landmines, even in darkness. If what upsets people is the suddenness of the insta-kill, there are more ways to handle it than just neutering the insta-kill.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: August 31, 2016, 02:09:21 pm »

And that's not what usually pisses people off, it's the stories that were more like "Godlike survivor in year four who can explode zombies with his mind and who's player has sunk over 100 hours into him accidentally steps on landmine and explodes" that tended to make complaints appear. :P
That kind of thing is what makes me feel like Cata would be better if permadeath was optional. Cata has deep and immensely fun gameplay, but it requires an unusual amount of investment for a roguelike, which makes a death in Cata much more frustrating than one in, say, NetHack or DF Adventurer mode.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 451