Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803026 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3690 on: August 31, 2016, 03:09:25 pm »

Death by landmine was always a strong motivator for me to pump up my perception.
Something like 12 or 14 guaranteed spotting all mines before they were stepped on. Though this was back a couple *stable* versions, so that's quite possibly no longer the case.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: August 31, 2016, 03:53:27 pm »

If/when explosives are improved, something that would be nice is more forms of hand grenades, for example defensive ones.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: September 01, 2016, 02:29:01 am »

There are already quite a few of those though (smoke, flashbang, tear gas, etc), and once I've been playing long enough to find more than the odd one in a crate, I find I rarely need to use them.

I think he meant "defensive grenades", as opposed to regular "offensive" ones. IIRC, defensive grenades are meant to be larger and heavier, producing bigger booms and more shrapnel - intended to be tossed from out of cover, like a trench, so that the limited distance you can toss them and the large blast radius combined are not an issue.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: September 01, 2016, 04:13:10 pm »

Got a decent run going, found a farm with a river and swamp nearby, found a basement with guns and took them back to the base, had a close call though, on the way back I got in a fight with a moose, I'm to the point where fighting a moose isn't too bad, it did cause me a fair bit of pain though, with it dead I move on, then a second moose comes out of nowhere and decided it didn't like that someone was breathing withing 100 feet of it, so it tries to kill me, torso is down to : Fortunately I had a loaded pistol and fired a few shots into the moose and it runs off, I was able to get back to base without further incident. I later went back to butcher the moose corpse and look for the other one to finish it off, sadly the moose that survived decided going near me was a very bad idea so it got away.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: September 01, 2016, 04:38:10 pm »

Are they tossing you around like a brute?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: September 01, 2016, 08:28:43 pm »

I've had that happen before but not this time.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: September 01, 2016, 09:56:29 pm »

That kind of thing is what makes me feel like Cata would be better if permadeath was optional. Cata has deep and immensely fun gameplay, but it requires an unusual amount of investment for a roguelike, which makes a death in Cata much more frustrating than one in, say, NetHack or DF Adventurer mode.
To be fair you just have to force quit before moving on from the "you died" menu and your character should still be just fine IIRC. :P (You may also be able to move the graveyard file back into the normal character file location and that may revive you as well, I don't remember if that was working or not last I checked).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: September 02, 2016, 09:47:07 am »

Are you still simultaneously alive and dead (body at your feet) if you savescum like that?

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: September 02, 2016, 10:16:11 am »

yup
thincake

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: September 02, 2016, 10:23:00 am »

Summon nuke. Place on body. Walk away like nothing happened.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: September 02, 2016, 11:57:32 am »

Posting to watch for now.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: September 02, 2016, 01:19:30 pm »

That kind of thing is what makes me feel like Cata would be better if permadeath was optional. Cata has deep and immensely fun gameplay, but it requires an unusual amount of investment for a roguelike, which makes a death in Cata much more frustrating than one in, say, NetHack or DF Adventurer mode.
To be fair you just have to force quit before moving on from the "you died" menu and your character should still be just fine IIRC. :P (You may also be able to move the graveyard file back into the normal character file location and that may revive you as well, I don't remember if that was working or not last I checked).
I know that you can savescum like that (it's how I get around YASDs from, say, encountering hulks on day one or antimaterial turrets outside the shelter; I hate YASDs in Cata because unlike other rogulikes I spend up to ten or fifteen minutes building a character,) I'm just afraid it'll accidentally get patched out someday :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: September 02, 2016, 01:27:29 pm »

If you enable the prompt for the death-cam (or don't disable it, as the case may be), then closing the game while the prompt is up prevents you from having the standing-over-own-body problem. You just reload from the last autosave, or the last time you saved manually, when you launch the game and reload.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: September 02, 2016, 01:32:04 pm »

Hulks on Day 1 are actually intentional spawns.

As in, the game deliberately spawns in a high cost monster on day 1.
I see a lot of zombie masters and lords on day 1 as well.

'a lot' being 1, I guess 'often' is a better qualifier.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: September 06, 2016, 05:32:26 pm »

Just a popping in to say that Chesthole's Tileset support a tileset for most the critters added by the, my, mod.

Ive got the coregame's version squared away okay, but Ive recently began playing with items and a few critters for the beta, located at my sig.

-Triffid antivenoms, to block and cure poisons.  royal jelly only cures it, doesnt block future attacks.
-Fluid sacs can be cured into pouches that can be worn or crafted into small traps/grenady objects.
-Doomlab, a lab of DooM
-Homemade molotovs for early firestarters.  May or may not do anything.
-Large public cemeteries.
-Blind zombies, agile blind zombies too.
-Actually semi-dangerous wild animals.  A bear tore through my leather vest and leather duster with 1 swipe.  A cougar actually stalked me.
-More dangerous mines.  Faultines and wyrms gonna nom you down, doggys to come.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 451