Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803244 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5595 on: August 14, 2018, 07:28:51 pm »

This summarizes the realism thing better than I ever could. It's tedium of tedium's sake, basically.

Additionally, there is a pattern with most of the features that become controversial. They tend to:
1. Start off incomplete.
and
2. Prioritize implementing the elements that are detrimental to the player first, and stuff that enhances gameplay is lower-priority.

An example is filthy clothing. It was kinda really bad and bare-bones on first implementation. Washing machines, detergent, sane usage of water/soap? All of those came AFTER first implementation, last I checked. Even now you still can't boil anything clean except for the older "make clean rags from dirty ones" idea.

Another example, the issues with perishable non-perishable foods. The way ingredient rot translates into product rot is bad and severely cripples the effective shelf life of the product. Meanwhile, shelf lives are pegged to assuming floor pasta anyway, but you have NO way to simply put the food in a bag. Realistically, rot is a non-issue for most dry goods if stored in most containers that are tightly recloseable (like a glass jar, plastic tupperware, etc). But this feature was not given any real thought when, in my opinion, allowing the player to implement proper storage should've been a prerequisite.

This is why I expressed the sentiment previously that realism only gets prioritized if it's to the player's detriment in some way. Because while that is hyperbole in the general case, there is a very solid foundation to make one suspect that's the case.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: August 14, 2018, 07:45:51 pm »

It also doesn't help that the lead dev (kevin) mostly uses the game to stroke his ego and throw his weight around. Shooting down genuinely good ideas and bug fixes out of hand with half thought out excuses simply because he's in charge.

I'd like to see more attention given to making NPC's more interesting. As they are, they are little more to me than loot pinatas.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: August 14, 2018, 07:48:59 pm »

As they are, they are little more to me than loot pinatas.

Or with dynamic NPCs on, loot piñatas that teleport inside your fortified base, steal all your crap, then tell you to fuck off.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: August 14, 2018, 07:52:49 pm »

As they are, they are little more to me than loot pinatas.

Or with dynamic NPCs on, loot piñatas that teleport inside your fortified base, steal all your crap, then tell you to fuck off.

Exactly. I'd also like to see more work put into domestic animals, but as I recall just getting the ability to milk cows and raise chickens in was a hurdle and a half for the person who did those. Shit, I don't think the chicken stuff even made it past Kevin's baleful petulant eye.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: August 14, 2018, 07:54:26 pm »

We now have dogsplosions though. Also you can technically breed chickens. This is tied to the carrion spawn system though, which is a bit of a mess.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: August 14, 2018, 07:56:26 pm »

We now have dogsplosions though. Also you can technically breed chickens. This is tied to the carrion spawn system though, which is a bit of a mess.

Oh god, the carrion! Good lord, I tuned it way down when I tried it and it STILL produced ungodly numbers of roaches. What a terrible idea.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: August 14, 2018, 07:57:06 pm »

I just keep it disabled entirely. Thank Armok that's even an option.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: August 14, 2018, 08:02:29 pm »

The real bane of my existence is the jacking and lifting changes. For changing tires, sure, but it's made building a train a painfully tedious task. In the version I'm using, which is admittedly very out of date, the jacking and lifting doesn't even work which makes working with vehicles impossible.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: August 14, 2018, 08:05:38 pm »

The real bane of my existence is the jacking and lifting changes. For changing tires, sure, but it's made building a train a painfully tedious task. In the version I'm using, which is admittedly very out of date, the jacking and lifting doesn't even work which makes working with vehicles impossible.

Poor Catnip.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: August 14, 2018, 09:37:37 pm »

I’m afraid I don’t understand - if the things Kevin does piss off so many people, why don’t they split off and make their own variant of the game?

If things are even half as bad as described, surely Kevin’s angered a person with coding skill...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: August 14, 2018, 09:51:17 pm »

Because, I think, Kevin is the only one willing to actually herd the cats on a permanent basis.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: August 14, 2018, 10:12:03 pm »

I’m afraid I don’t understand - if the things Kevin does piss off so many people, why don’t they split off and make their own variant of the game?

If things are even half as bad as described, surely Kevin’s angered a person with coding skill...

Because, I think, Kevin is the only one willing to actually herd the cats on a permanent basis.

Because people who say "durr hurr just fork it" utterly, miserably fail to comprehend that a fork needs a solid foundation of developers and contributors to keep itself in working order. Coolthulhu already made an attempt to maintain his own fork, but that stymied because he was the only person really invested in it, and he's not very regularly active.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: August 15, 2018, 12:04:57 am »

C:DDA has not been fit to fork for years.  It should be simpler to fork Whales and cherry-pick what C:DDA did right -- after getting a sane internal data representation.

Yes, Typhon has a hundred heads -- but are they coordinated heads?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: August 15, 2018, 12:23:15 am »

C:DDA has not been fit to fork for years.  It should be simpler to fork Whales and cherry-pick what C:DDA did right -- after getting a sane internal data representation.

Yes, Typhon has a hundred heads -- but are they coordinated heads?

And even that would be a royal pain in the ass on an unprecedented scale. Evidently the original predates much of the JSONization of about 90% of entry types.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: August 15, 2018, 08:26:38 am »

All right, thanks for letting me know the difficulties involved. I don’t know anything about coding myself so I didn’t know about any of them in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 451