Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 800043 times)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5625 on: August 16, 2018, 11:43:30 am »

See, the problem with that argument is that you need to actually be making a game.

Someone who can make that argument? Steve Walmsley.
Thanks for playing.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #5626 on: August 16, 2018, 11:45:10 am »

Coming soon to a forum near you:
original mechanic got overhauled, game is shit!1
1: See every game ever with fans that don't like the development direction.
Worse here though, because here they're free to take a fork and do whatever they want, but would rather make excuses about why them complaining, and them accepting the situation aren't the same.

I'm not a fan of DDA really. It's been a loong time since I played it, but I'm really tired of how this thread keeps getting derailed by a group of folks that do exactly the above.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: August 16, 2018, 12:54:12 pm »

Jesus, man. I was just asking a few questions is all.

Personally, I don't much like the hostility myself, though. Haven't played DDA in a while, though, so I don't exactly have an opinion on the changes that have happened (especially since I can't even survive long enough for rotting food to be a problem).

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: August 16, 2018, 01:00:57 pm »

I mean I personally am excited for this butchery change. I think it's a step towards the better! It's more complicated but it's more complicated in a way that lets you get more the more you put into it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: August 16, 2018, 01:10:35 pm »

Did you forget the part where it said it increases yield by a significant amount, giving you incentive to full-butcher and not just field-clean?

I found about this afterward, but this has been replaced by a new problem:

You need a full butcher's setup to get bones, skin, fat, sinew, feathers, etc. Now butchery in the field magics your knife through the skin, debones it, etc while somehow making all of that shit vanish.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5630 on: August 16, 2018, 02:27:29 pm »

The field dress system makes some sense to me. Hunting was barely viable before as it was so difficult to move a heavy corpse any distance.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: August 16, 2018, 02:55:02 pm »

From the looks of that, I'd request the ability to full-butcher things in the field with a lower yield, so that you can get things like bones and skins without having a whole base set up with tools. It's likely that an early game player will want some bones to work with but will not have yet found things like a butcher rack.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: August 16, 2018, 02:55:37 pm »

Did you forget the part where it said it increases yield by a significant amount, giving you incentive to full-butcher and not just field-clean?

I found about this afterward, but this has been replaced by a new problem:

You need a full butcher's setup to get bones, skin, fat, sinew, feathers, etc. Now butchery in the field magics your knife through the skin, debones it, etc while somehow making all of that shit vanish.

Or it's considered wasted due to the makeshift nature of your butchering.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: August 16, 2018, 03:27:04 pm »

Coming soon to a forum near you:
original mechanic got overhauled, game is shit!1
1: See every game ever with fans that don't like the development direction.
Worse here though, because here they're free to take a fork and do whatever they want, but would rather make excuses about why them complaining, and them accepting the situation aren't the same.

I'm not a fan of DDA really. It's been a loong time since I played it, but I'm really tired of how this thread keeps getting derailed by a group of folks that do exactly the above.
They left this thread to fester for a bit too long before coming back a few month ago, so what did you expect?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: August 16, 2018, 03:32:18 pm »

You should still have SOME way to get skin and bones (not to mention sinew, fat, feathers...) without plopping down a workshop every time, or dragging the corpse back to base. See again, tedium.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: August 16, 2018, 03:43:27 pm »

How is it wasted? I get that skin can be rendered unsuitable for tanning by hacking up a corpse and fair play maybe I was so undisciplined the sinew was rendered unusable but where did the bones go? Did the makeshift butchery mash them to bits that can no longer be used to make charcoal or glue? Where's the fat? Has my inexpert butchering caused it to become irrecoverably fused to the meat? Did I hastily dice each individual feather?

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: August 16, 2018, 04:45:52 pm »

Speaking of bones, do fish still give usable bones for whatever reason? I mean, besides the bone needle and skewer recipes, what can you actually make out of these?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: August 16, 2018, 08:46:20 pm »

Speaking of bones, do fish still give usable bones for whatever reason? I mean, besides the bone needle and skewer recipes, what can you actually make out of these?

Bone meal (for a few random uses), bone armor, aspic, bone broth, fodder for charcoal...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: August 16, 2018, 08:49:30 pm »

Not played with the new butchery thing, but honestly it does sound like complaining for the sake of complaining. CDAA has made shitty decisions, but I feel this isn't one of those.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: August 16, 2018, 08:56:21 pm »

Not played with the new butchery thing, but honestly it does sound like complaining for the sake of complaining. CDAA has made shitty decisions, but I feel this isn't one of those.

Reason for it is, as far as can be discerned, you now need a specific construction to get anything besides meat. No sinew, no skin, no (or evidently, few) bones, no fat. Which is severely hindering to nomadic characters, bogs down crafting, and isn't very realistic.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 451