Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39

Author Topic: GemSet v1.41 [42.04]  (Read 338174 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: GemSet v1.32 [40.24]
« Reply #345 on: June 13, 2015, 04:33:19 pm »

Huh, I had a problem with the kids showing up as babies that was fixed, but never seen miners showing up as kids.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 13, 2015, 04:46:02 pm »

I've been using MacNewbie.  I placed GemSet in the LNP/Graphics directory.  I was able to load it fine under the LNP graphics tab.  LNP also updates the graphics in existing fort saves as well.  I noticed however, that some items when placed do not assume the new overrides.  I know this has been talked about often in previous threads.  Can someone refresh me as to what the issue may be?

Here's an example of beds when placed lose the override.  These beds were placed before applying GemSet.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He's stated a few times that he didn't make overrides for certain "buildings", that bed in a stockpile is a item. When it is placed/ built it is a building, it's 2 different overrides. It's not hard to fix though, if you want to fix it yourself, just find it in overrides.txt and make a 2nd thing for it and instead of the

[OVERRIDE:233:I:BED:BED::items:24]
do
[OVERRIDE:233:B:BED:Bed::items:24]

(ah I was wondering wth items was, then I remembered that it's the tileset name instead of #, which I always used)

It should work, no guarantees or refunds, this store does not accept any returns either. But I'm pretty sure fricy tried it already so it should work, I'm to lazy to test it myself, do not delete the I override. Do that for any of the Item overrides you that don't have it for buildings that he for some reason didn't finish. Remember that only the first letter is capitalized in buildings and for items the whole word is capitalized as per the example above.

Yeah the miner/minor thing is weird in the other screenshot on the previous page the dudes overview has very skinny examples, while his letters and everything else is normal.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 13, 2015, 04:58:20 pm »

Can someone refresh me as to what the issue may be?
v1.32 - 2015-06-12
/snip
Sorry, Kromtec, but I don't want to start on the building overrides until TWBT gets workshop support. It'll throw off my organization if I can only override half the buildings. Building overrides are also still a WIP, and I'm not sure how TWBT will handle colorizing them.
However you can add this to overrides.txt until buildings are done.
Spoiler: Buildings (click to show/hide)

@DragonDePlatino: There's a slight problem with cabinets (and tables): If you build them directly "under" a wall of the same material it's hard to distinguish tile boundaries.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 13, 2015, 05:35:51 pm »

The caverns look gorgeous with their new little fancy mushrooms:

And I am very happy with the look of my war grizzly bear!  :D

Thanks! A little visual variety depending on your elevation would never hurt. I might also give the underground trees some unique saplings once I finish the crops.

My miners are minors.
(in the game, not just the z menu)
Which is weird.

Also, and maybe even more importantly...

LOOK AT THOSE LLAMAS! <3 :D
They are flippin' adorable.

Ah ha ha! After I saw your avatar I figured you might like the llamas.

I'm...not sure what would cause the problem with dwarven children and miners. A long time ago, there were some conflicts between children and baby graphics but I could reproduce those on my side. I'm really not sure what would cause this problem, though. Anyone have any ideas?

However you can add this to overrides.txt until buildings are done.
Spoiler: Buildings (click to show/hide)

@DragonDePlatino: There's a slight problem with cabinets (and tables): If you build them directly "under" a wall of the same material it's hard to distinguish tile boundaries.

Hmm...so you're taking the graphics from the item sheet? I was worried about half-doing the buildings because it could screw up organization, but that's a rather elegant temporary solution. I'll add that along with the next update. I'll also look to editing the cabinets a bit.

Moridin920

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 13, 2015, 05:38:46 pm »

Has anyone gotten this tileset to work with Masterwork?

It's gorgeous!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 13, 2015, 06:42:24 pm »

I am certain Meph is working at it if he hasn't already, as he loves it.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 13, 2015, 07:03:18 pm »

Nah, when the time comes I'll be OK with handling all of that. For now, I just want to get all of the overrides in. Once that's done I'll be moving on to mod support on a per-demand basis.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 13, 2015, 11:27:21 pm »

Ayep...and that's why I like taking an old-fashioned approach, tightly cramming dozens of graphics together at the expense of some human-readability. A lot of my modding background comes from NES ROM hacking, so I feel comfortable working with stuff like this:

Admittedly, though, I could do a much better job making the wall sheets more compact like the item sheet. I could try merging the constructed, feature, frozen etc sheets together to use up less tile pages. A more memory-friendly "GemSet Lite" would be interesting, too. Something that reuses a lot of graphics at the expense of having unique graphics for everything.

Another interesting idea...Would it be possible to save memory by having an indexed mode for TWBT graphics? It'll screw up some stuff dependent on partial transparency, but 2bpp graphics would be great for older computers. GemSet rarely uses more than 3 colors+alpha for overrides anyways.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:40:56 pm by DragonDePlatino »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #354 on: June 14, 2015, 12:38:25 am »

It's not about memory usage, it's about number of tiles (in fact, number of additional tilesets because empty tiles count too). DF loads all the tiles into one OpenGL texture, maximum size of which depends on the GPU. I think not less than 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 on any modern GPU.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 14, 2015, 01:04:42 am »

Hmm...Oh...OH. I can see a problem here.

For this image, assume every pixel represents 8 pixels. Thus, a 2048px OpenGL texture would be 256px here. Using the same scale, a 24px, 32px or 48px tile sheet would be 48px, 64px or 96px respectively.

Assuming you can break up a sheet into smaller parts, you can snugly fit 28, 16 or a measly 7 sheets onto a single OpenGL texture. These numbers would quadruple if you're working with 4096px OpenGL textures, with a hard limit of 115, 64 or 28 sheets.

So...depending on your resolution and number of tile sheets, there does seem to be a reachable limit here. GemSet currently uses 12 sheets, so the 48px version would be unusable for people with older GPUs. Even moreso once I add in the building overrides, huge workshops and mod support. Not to mention, I'm not even thinking about the creature graphics here.

I'll try my best and see if I can trim the current tileset down to about 6 sheets. If that's not possible, I'll look into making a Lite version so 48px will work for older computers.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:10:28 am by DragonDePlatino »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #356 on: June 14, 2015, 01:15:37 am »

I see your tilesets are mostly empty, less then a half tiles are used everywhere except for plants and items, so it shouldn't be a problem to combine others.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 14, 2015, 04:00:53 am »

But they are getting the same issues with spacefox and it only has 1 extra sheet. Unless for some reason df loads all the tilesheets in the data/art folder then haha.. It'd probably help if they'd enable crashdumps if they have consistent crashes.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: (24x24 / 48x48) GemSet v1.32 [40.24]
« Reply #358 on: June 14, 2015, 04:25:33 am »

v1.32 - 2015-06-12
Included mouse.png for ease-of-installation.

Nice, there's some good stuff in this update.  Last thing for ease of install, though it might only affect me - it would be great to have the version number in the name of the top-level zip.  That way I won't override anything in my archive later if I forget to rename one ;D
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 14, 2015, 07:08:59 am »

Whew, that should be just about it. All of the plants are now drawn. They just need to be decolorized, stuck in a sheet and added to the game. There were more than I expected, and I'd just like to run these by Button to make sure everything looks good. I got all of my references off of Google Images, and I've learned in the past that it can be a dubious source at best. Some of these plants might be in the incorrect stages and others might be wrong entirely.

Spoiler: Plants (click to show/hide)

In the upper-left are the standard plants and in the upper-right are the crops. At the bottom are the garden plants and next to each plant is it's corresponding shrub/withered tile. I've got a hard limit of 256 unique plant graphics (including shrubs) so many of the shrubs are recolors to save space. In total we've got 112 plants and about 13 shrubs, so things are looking good as far as extra space goes.

Oh, and please note that these are not the final colors of the plants. Everything will look different depending on your color scheme.

Spoiler: Guide (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:12:07 am by DragonDePlatino »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39