Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3471 3472 [3473] 3474 3475 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855068 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52080 on: April 20, 2018, 05:07:47 pm »

Does anyone know if the following bugs are on the bug tracker? I have no idea how to use it.
  • If you lose dogs or dwarves when raiding, and reclaim the fort after that, the dwarves and dogs will reappear ghostlike with corpses somewhere on the map, but they will not be called ghosts, not be appeasable by burial or slabs, the dwarves will be attackable, and the dogs can be 'killed' by cave collapse.
  • If a tower(possibly other places)imprisons your raiders, including dogs, they might send them in a siege, in which they will be hostile, and then they will be hostile to you if you ever rescue them, but will still be listed amongst citizens/pets.
  • If you attack a place, in legends, it might say "The  of The Crazy Attack", instead of saying battle, siege or anything. Not sure if this just for specific types amongst raiding/pillaging/razing, or all of them.
1) Reclaim is pretty buggy, raiding seems to have made it more so. General 'weird new units' bug is here. Save would be good. This specific issue isn't mentioned yet.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9176

2) Haven't seen this one. Towers seem to be suffering from a few problems. They probably shouldn't be sending living prisoners with their sieges. Toady was working on fixing Tower behavior just recently, he's probably appreciate a save.

3) There are a fair few broken pieces of text. I don't think there's a single report for all of them. Just have to report it normally.

One things for sure though, unless you report it, it won't be fixed. DF is a big complicated game, people (including Toady) can play for years without ever encountering a bug someone else thinks is "obvious". Would be a great help to everyone if you learnt how to use the tracker.

The Big Wait is coming. Not everything will be fixed before then of course, but unreported stuff definitely won't be.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:18:01 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52081 on: April 20, 2018, 05:16:41 pm »

I just had something interesting pop up in my fort. One of my migrants is titled "peddler."  I've never seen that before.
Ex-spies of your civ are retaining their fake names and identities when they migrate to your fortress. You can see it in Legends. Every so often one will turn up with a visitor profession. It's a bug. Try not to kill him, he's not actually spying on you. And he's probably not a vampire either.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10490

That is SO COOL. He migrated here with his wife and kids and I can only assume they don't know about his dark dealings for our supreme dwarven government. I'm gonna get him a squad and send him on secret missions.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52082 on: April 21, 2018, 05:15:21 pm »

One things for sure though, unless you report it, it won't be fixed. DF is a big complicated game, people (including Toady) can play for years without ever encountering a bug someone else thinks is "obvious". Would be a great help to everyone if you learnt how to use the tracker.

Like that damn cheese critters issue i was having that mysteriously showed up for someone else. No idea what causes it, no idea why moving some raws to a different file caused it to disappear again. But the birds are apparently made of cheese under very specific circumstances, and i have no idea why df would think that.

I have no idea how to recreate it, nothing ive tried has succeeded,and the other fellow never uploaded his raw folder so i cant use his as a base
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52083 on: April 21, 2018, 07:16:11 pm »

Just scanning through Legends...

"Sick and the Fork".
A melancholy poem authored by the Human Mata Wrungsprung the Fragrant Luck of Quieting.

I can see this being a big hit in the Dwarf taverns. :)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52084 on: April 21, 2018, 09:16:55 pm »

Found a forgotten beast named "Namice" in legends mode that apparently masqueraded as a dwarf to infiltrate the human country "The Wayward Kingdom".

I know it was obviously a glitch, but I like to pretend this particular forgotten beast was some kind of shapeshifter and intelligent enough compared to its brethren to trick a civilization for...easier access to all those tasty humans, I guess. :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:20:07 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52085 on: April 23, 2018, 12:23:47 am »

Found a forgotten beast named "Namice" in legends mode that apparently masqueraded as a dwarf to infiltrate the human country "The Wayward Kingdom".

You should try and track him down!  It'd be cool if you can talk to him.

My current fortress, Fogpaper, is built around a volcano.  Unfortunately, the land has proved to be poor in metals, but we recently discovered a pretty huge deposit of Adamantine.  Also, there's been a were-chameleon problem for the last few months, costing me a legendary armorsmith and some other important dwarves.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52086 on: April 23, 2018, 09:31:01 am »

You should try and track him down!  It'd be cool if you can talk to him.

My current fortress, Fogpaper, is built around a volcano.  Unfortunately, the land has proved to be poor in metals, but we recently discovered a pretty huge deposit of Adamantine.  Also, there's been a were-chameleon problem for the last few months, costing me a legendary armorsmith and some other important dwarves.

Okay. Make sure you dig through the entire vein of Adamantine. There's a special surprise in the middle.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52087 on: April 23, 2018, 01:03:40 pm »

Something cool I just noticed from legends mode and never knew before: it seems as though different in-game texts authored by the same person (or dwarf/elf/goblin, you know what I mean) have a somewhat consistent writing style. For example, I've been tracking the works of one Litast Cudgelcrested, a dwarven historian, and pretty much all her books are "completely serious in tone" and have "masterful prose". I guess this ties into the general writing skills of each individual, maybe with a bit of the character's general personality having an influence. This is a fascinating revelation for me, because up to this point I kind of assumed such details of in-game writing were entirely random.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:08:13 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #52088 on: April 23, 2018, 04:57:57 pm »

Discovered the cave systems beneath my fort. The only threats were a giant toad and a giant olm, both of which perished quickly enough under my military.

We were also attacked by Gray Langur people. The dwarves were able to kill most of them, but one ran away with a pair of pants.

A troll somehow showed up, but a visiting spearman killed him/her/it easily enough. Checking the combat logs suggested the spearman was actually afraid afterwards (Saying something like "Death... I am so frightened").

Then the werelizard showed up.

It did not end well. Several of my dwarves have been bitten and thus are likely to transform into werelizards themselves soon enough, assuming they don't bleed to death first.

My squad of 10 soldiers was quite inexperienced, and thus coudln't actually take down the werelizard. Ah well.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52089 on: April 23, 2018, 05:10:32 pm »

If you see any Blind Cave Ogres down there, I recommend not engaging.

*Shivers.*
Two cave ogres took down the first two squads I made. They had minimal training and equipment, but even so. Ten Dwarfs each.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52090 on: April 23, 2018, 05:58:06 pm »

That's because you didn't have Spiderdwarf on your side.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52091 on: April 23, 2018, 06:08:45 pm »

Oh, wow, yea. I could totally have used some of that anti Blind Cave Ogre action.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #52092 on: April 23, 2018, 06:36:47 pm »

I'm trying something a little different for my current fort. All migrants are going to be put through military training before they are allowed to perform any labors at all, including hauling and the such. For the first year, they'll just be doing basic individual combat exercises, followed by actual sparring for the second year. I hope my starting 7 are ready to do some baby sitting, heh.

I hope that this turns out well, as I've heard that this type of fortress-wide training helps with dwarf survival in the event of wildlife or attackers, faster movement speed and carrying capacity, and better job performance.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #52093 on: April 23, 2018, 07:41:18 pm »

How would you have a system like that set up at all? I can't even get a proper squad set to spar or anything like that...

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #52094 on: April 23, 2018, 07:53:53 pm »

Personally, I like to give a nickname to all my dwarves which is simply the year that they arrived. With this, I can keep track of how long they've been training. Right now, my "a5" (a=arrived, a migrant) dwarves are still individually training, as the year is 6. When it becomes 7, I'll switch them to active duty so that they spar and get the cool (well I think it's cool, anyway) filled-in dwarf smiley icon denoting a soldier on duty. I'll leave them that way for one more year, before I start activating labors on them.

I make a few armor stands to start and place them near my entrance. Then, I just make a squad once the first migrants come and are nicknamed, and assign them no specific uniform or weapons so that they just wear the clothes they came in with. Also, I disable any water/booze carrying and food carrying, for simplicity. Since I'm mostly looking for my dwarves (in general) to be better workers/haulers/wild-animal-attack-survivors rather than killers, I don't bother with weapons until I make an actual standing force, although they are rather adept at taking out the odd band of gray langurs... Anyway, I set the armor stands to be a barracks, and set the squads to use the barracks to train. I usually just leave the stands outside, to put off cave adaptation.

Dwarves typically don't spar as frequently at lower skill levels, from my experience. That's why I just have them individually train for the first year. I hope that this experiment turns out well, and if it does, I can see myself doing this in all my future forts. It's a fun game of checking your dwarf's attributes every couple of months and seeing them progress.

Pages: 1 ... 3471 3472 [3473] 3474 3475 ... 3836