Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 809313 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Massachusetts Driving Habits
« Reply #3135 on: November 11, 2015, 09:36:21 pm »

For the male PC's background at least I can actually see some justification: he's ex-military, so it sort of makes sense that he'd fall into following Preston's directions and get sucked into the continual process of go-here kill-this stockpile-build-guard as an unconscious coping mechanism, especially after you reach the point where you learn that it's been ten years since Shaun was taken, with the added justification after that section of the plot that your character knows he's up against the Institute, a large, powerful organization that's virtually impossible to find alone; founding and protecting a bunch of settlements is effectively equivalent to building up a fighting force and espionage network which is intensely loyal to you personally.

The latter half of that also makes sense for the female PC's background.

Maybe it's unintentional and Bethesda happened to get a 'sufficient monkeys with typewriters' stroke of luck, but maybe they did design it like that and people aren't giving them credit (or bothering to think much about it) -- it's certainly already a more nuanced and interesting plot than FO3, at any rate.

Got this game yesterday- for the PS4 because I don't have a computer capable of running anything later than 2005-, been playing a lot today. So PTW.

Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nope, and nope. The main quest line explicitly reveals how long it's been a while after you get there.

My prediction for a twist and/or DLC? The shot wasn't instantly lethal and you'll be able to go back to 111 and thaw them, then provide medical treatment.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: November 11, 2015, 09:49:07 pm »

it's certainly already a more nuanced and interesting plot than FO3, at any rate.

I'm not sure it's possible to make a plot less nuanced and interesting.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: November 11, 2015, 09:57:18 pm »

it's certainly already a more nuanced and interesting plot than FO3, at any rate.

I'm not sure it's possible to make a plot less nuanced and interesting.

Well, yeah, but they could have equaled it.

Incidentally, I'm 95% certain now that there isn't level-based scaling, or at worst a small amount of it which makes it more likely to encounter more dangerous variants of the same enemy type. It looks like it's mostly location-based (I ran into supermutants with laser weapons and a fat man in single-digit levels; I'm still finding bandits all over the place with mostly the same shit-tier pipe weapons and bandit/leather armor), though apparently the chance of an enemy being legendary increases based on your difficulty level.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: November 11, 2015, 10:44:33 pm »

well, I'm not gonna come here and rant or complain about the game

but first game on steam where I got a refund :P i put the money into steam wallet, since I had 17 hours of game time (except most of that was afk, I only had 6 achievements), so figured I'd have a better chance with a refund. worked out anyway. and there are other steam games I can get anyway, once christmas sales hit that i want to get.

I'll just say, i liked fallout 3, new vegas, skyrim (except I didn't really like skyrim that much...i liked...) and oblivion way more.

I will say, don't go in expecting it much like an RPG. It felt less like an rpg than even skyrim did to me. way too much like a borderlands experience to me and I hated borderlands, and I don't like fps games that much either (I did love fallout 3 and Nv though). I have a ton of issues with the game that not even skyrim had, but i'm not gonna go into a long rant about it lol. and this is speaking vanilla wise, no mods. Fallout 3, new vegas, sorta skyrim and oblivion were all fine without mods (at least to me), but fallout 4 is not my type of game at all for my reasons.

anyway, glad people find it fun. Doesn't look like its getting good reviews in general, but looks like there are a lot enjoying the game still, but I'm not gonna review the game anywhere, don't feel the need to go around complaining. This will be my only post about it unless people ask questions or something about it. Unlike i sorta did with skyrim, i'm not gonna sit around this thread throwing poop at people that like it...don't want to ruin peoples fun lol. I just wanted to post a useless opinion of the game, so now I'll move on. Not like I lost money lol. I got the money back (well into my steam wallet, but all the same, it probably where it end back up anyway lol).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:47:41 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: November 11, 2015, 10:50:54 pm »

hum. the main plot seem anything but urgent to me. i have no idea how long i was frozen after they stole the child, for all i know, he could be older then the player char by now.

damn, drops from uniques are random? only got one thing i have use for, a pipe rifle with unlimeted ammo capacity. of course, damage per shot is rather pathetic, but as i never used .38 ammo before, i have tons of it, and as  it only takes gun nut 2 to fully upgrade it, its quite a satisfying ghouls horde shredderer with hillarious rate of fire.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: November 11, 2015, 11:00:22 pm »

Incidentally, I'm 95% certain now that there isn't level-based scaling, or at worst a small amount of it which makes it more likely to encounter more dangerous variants of the same enemy type. It looks like it's mostly location-based (I ran into supermutants with laser weapons and a fat man in single-digit levels; I'm still finding bandits all over the place with mostly the same shit-tier pipe weapons and bandit/leather armor), though apparently the chance of an enemy being legendary increases based on your difficulty level.
I think I'm seeing some of the same as well. Perhaps Bethesda learned a bit from all the mods that they've emulated in their game, and leaned more towards Morrowind's style of "If you go this way when you're not ready, good luck" rather than "you're level 50 so the bandits have daedric armor all the time."

So far I'm rather enjoying the game. I feel like it's leaning more towards the combat side of things, with most of the things from previous games streamlined heavily. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if you come into it expecting to get Fallout 3.5, you'll be extremely disappointed. It would be better considered its own game, rather than a sequel.

I do have to laugh at the people who seemed to believe this game was the second coming of Christ in video game form, but such is the nature of hype.

I'm not sure how much mods will be able to fix, but I eagerly await modding tools and the DLC.

Also,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: November 11, 2015, 11:08:58 pm »

i am legitimately impressed that my brother's shitty alienware pc can play this

they sell it as a "gaming pc" then put a GT 640 into it, like holy shit

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: November 11, 2015, 11:21:17 pm »

my friend's pc can't play skyrim, but can easily play fallout 4

then again he puts 200+ mods and textures that require a 4gb video card, plus intensive enb configs xD

fallout 4 looks amazing though, even not modded. When I was playing, I never once wanted a lighting or texture mod. But I think its because of the art style they used, I think it looks really great.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: November 11, 2015, 11:22:52 pm »

I have GT 630 and I use my computer for gaming

what's wrong with me doc
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: November 11, 2015, 11:38:08 pm »

okay there's "usable for gaming" and then there's "made for gaming"

a computer with a GT 640 is not made for gaming

you can't play many games at full res on that

note that I'm not saying 60 FPS, I'm saying full res. You'd be hard pressed to get 30 at full res on that.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: November 11, 2015, 11:51:27 pm »

hum. the main plot seem anything but urgent to me. i have no idea how long i was frozen after they stole the child, for all i know, he could be older then the player char by now.

Imagine your partner killed and your child abducted. Even if the kid was old now, maybe especially if so, wouldn't you want to find him as quickly as possible? I don't think a lot of people go "oh well he's old now so I should just loot yet another ruin  :)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: November 11, 2015, 11:52:26 pm »

Imagine your partner killed and your child abducted. Even if the kid was old now, maybe especially if so, wouldn't you want to find him as quickly as possible? I don't think a lot of people go "oh well he's old now so I should just loot yet another ruin  :)
Or dead.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: November 12, 2015, 12:15:23 am »

fallout 4 looks amazing though, even not modded. When I was playing, I never once wanted a lighting or texture mod. But I think its because of the art style they used, I think it looks really great.
Night time is still far too bright, especially in stormy weather. It makes sense for Nirn's ginormous fantasy moons, but is plenty immersion breaking for a more relateable Earth setting.

The abducted child is supposed to be the emotional hook that gets the player involved in the plot, but it falls flat. The intro is over with so quickly there's no time for the player to become emotionally invested in any of the characters, besides which it's difficult to fully empathize with the feelings of a parent without actually being a parent. On top of that, the intro doesn't say anything about how much time the PC thinks has past, so it's up to the player to decide whether the abduction had just happened, or if it's an event from long ago. If the writer wants a player to feel a certain way, they shouldn't give the player much, if any, agency to insert their own opinion into the matter, lest the competing interests of game and story collide.

That said, none of the early game plot makes sense from an emotional perspective. Even if you can put yourself emotionally into the PC's head regarding the kid, everything else you do tries hard to break immersion and remind you that you're playing a game.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: November 12, 2015, 12:20:16 am »

I have run into a serious issue.

I can't decide who to bring with me. I want to bring along this reporter because it seems like she's going to be amusing, but how can I divorce my waifu Codsworth?! Why can I only bring one person at a time?!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: November 12, 2015, 12:56:58 am »

Why can I only bring one person at a time?!

The follower mods don't exist yet.

You know, considering how often those crop up, you would think Bethesda might make having several followers a part of the game.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 462