Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 811367 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Basically WH40K
« Reply #4350 on: December 02, 2015, 03:16:19 am »

I was being sarcastic :P

The Brotherhood used to be the closest thing to "The Good guys" in the fallout universe.

Fallout 4 is probably the most Rinkydink the Brotherhood of steel ever got. For a while I kind of wondered if they really were brotherhood of steel and that maybe it is a twist and there are no BOS here and they are basically pretending to be for legitimacy.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:23:54 am by Neonivek »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: December 02, 2015, 04:10:14 am »

I'm currently durdling around trying to avoid finishing the main quest (nor can I, as I have to meet - important person - in certain ruins, but the person is not there. Quest marker sure is, but just says "go inside" "ok, now go outside").

So far, the brotherhood seems like obvious jerks.
The railroad makes to many stupid choices, but at least deacon is great.
Minutemen are to quest spammy and should be punished.
And the other faction has spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: December 02, 2015, 05:47:56 am »

I was kind of annoyed at the advanced settlement parts (caravans and shops, mainly) being locked behind charisma perks. I feel there should be some kind of non-SPECIAL source of unlocking those options. Maybe some kind of robot plant that you can reprogram to act as caravans for your settlements (possibly also limited in number), and quests, maybe repeatable (i.e. radiant) to unlock merchants and shops.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: December 02, 2015, 06:43:17 am »

I was being sarcastic :P

The Brotherhood used to be the closest thing to "The Good guys" in the fallout universe.

Fallout 4 is probably the most Rinkydink the Brotherhood of steel ever got. For a while I kind of wondered if they really were brotherhood of steel and that maybe it is a twist and there are no BOS here and they are basically pretending to be for legitimacy.
I am willing to forgive Bethesda's take on BOS because it's happening on the east coast (an entire friggin continental US away from the previous games) and the Eastern BOS rebelled against the Western BOS' principles. They are, for all intents and purposes, an entirely new faction that has nothing to do with the Western BOS apart from the name, rank structure (which is not completely the same, IIRC) and raging hard-ons for power armor.

Having established that the core principles of the BOS can be changed coupled with what I assume was a particularly nasty conflict with the Outcasts and continued fighting against the supermutants of the Capital Wasteland could lead to rapid militarization and willingness to include outsiders into their ranks and a xenophobic attitude towards non-humans (although I suspect the latter . Especially if under the leadership of someone younger and more willing to bend the aforementioned principles to suit their own needs and desires, i.e. Elder Maxson. So that part I can rationalize. Which isn't to say they make sense.

I just wish Bethesda stopped calling them the Brotherhood of Steel and renamed them to something different because honestly, they really are a totally different thing to the western BOS of the original games and NV.

Speaking of factions and such, does anyone else find it hard to believe that in 200 goddamn years the only faction on the east coast that has developed to the point in which it might be a large political entity, capable of fielding armies of conquest is the Eastern BOS?

Everyone else seems stuck at city state level. I mean you'd expect at least some semblance of nations forming. Alliances between cities blossoming into more permanent affairs and the like. Large scale trading and manufacturing operations and so on. But nope, everything is ancient greece and cities are as big as we're going to get I guess.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: December 02, 2015, 06:48:45 am »

I like to imagine that people are just really bad at telling time and the games only take place maybe 5 years after Fallout 2...

It would explain a LOT!

It would actually make a LOT more sense then Fallout 3, NV, and 4 taking place a long time after 1 and 2.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:00:30 am by Neonivek »

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: December 02, 2015, 06:59:15 am »

I'm currently durdling around trying to avoid finishing the main quest (nor can I, as I have to meet - important person - in certain ruins, but the person is not there. Quest marker sure is, but just says "go inside" "ok, now go outside").

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: December 02, 2015, 07:49:13 am »

I like to imagine that people are just really bad at telling time and the games only take place maybe 5 years after Fallout 2...

It would explain a LOT!

It would actually make a LOT more sense then Fallout 3, NV, and 4 taking place a long time after 1 and 2.
Still, even 5 years after FO2 you had the NCR in its heyday, duking it out with the remnants of the Enclave for dominance in the region.

although I guess it could be argued that you, as the Sole Survivor and leader of the Minutemen are the person creating a nation-state fit to rival BOS' utter dominance of the region, but you're not actually creating a nation. More like a trading company.

Still, giving everyone in your little empire sack hoods is fun.

Edit: had the wrong war in mind.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:01:09 am by Krevsin »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: December 02, 2015, 08:37:19 am »

This isn't ancient Greece. They controlled they controlled the surrounding area and only centred around the core city. DC doesn't even control the houses one block outside of their wall, let alone the important resources in the city ruins (in this case the green colour manufactory at Hardware Town ;) ). This is like those stone age Turkish/Anatolian cities that were completely contained within themselves.

But yeah I'm very unimpressed by the world building in general. But I do feel the writing is a small improvement over previous bethesda games. Could be influenced by how I also feel the acting is better, and that makes a lot of corny lines easier to stomach.

There was a "Have you seen my father? Middle-aged guy." moment early on though.
Love, scriver~

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: December 02, 2015, 09:09:20 am »

Practically every settler I come across is being eaten by ghouls, is that normal or is it possible to save and recruit them? I'm thinking the way I carefully skirt around each area looking for stuff doesn't work too well , I guess I'm supposed to just walk straight through the center of each area so I can see and kill whatever spawns before it overruns the precious subplotmeat?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: December 02, 2015, 09:26:37 am »

Frankly I think the main character is probably one of the dumbest guys in the world.

I immediately caught onto the fact that Shaun might not be a baby... in fact in all likeliness he isn't.

There is only ONE bit of information you can find that serves as a red herring.

It actually immensely bugged me "DUDE! do you have anything to go on that suggests that you were refrozen for only a small while?"

--

Also Piper is a moron... "Hey Mayor why don't you look for his baby? You can't spare one officer?"
Me: "Hey Piper, did you take two steps outside of Diamond City?"

It doesn't help that the game bends over backwards to make him seem corrupt... I mean... well... he has legit excuses... Yet the game always treats them like they are flimsy. Instead of the rational excuse.

"Hey Piper, maybe instead he should use that detective we have in the city who is much better equipped to handle this then our already overstretched, overworked, and underpaid police force that is doing everything they can just to ensure that we can keep breathing tomorrow"

instead of

"What!?! I am not hiding anything! We just... uhhh... can't spare anyone... yeah that's it..."
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:30:27 am by Neonivek »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: December 02, 2015, 09:32:10 am »

Spoiler: Kellogg (click to show/hide)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: December 02, 2015, 09:35:08 am »

On the whole, I like the world building in FO4 more than in FO3. There's still bethesdaisms (like, a lot of them) but at least people seem to eat things.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: December 02, 2015, 09:36:19 am »

There's so many dumb inconsistencies with the Institute that is handwaved by Bethesda-quality writing that I don't think I could join them on any playthrough.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: December 02, 2015, 09:39:13 am »

I am kind of wondering when the Enclave are going to do what they are going to do.

I mean they sure are taking their sweet dang time...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: December 02, 2015, 09:43:55 am »

The Enclave does not exist any more, Neonivek. They done got blew up.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 462