Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 241

Author Topic: The Infinite Heavens: More than one way to skin a cat.  (Read 334373 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: The Infinite Heavens: More than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #3540 on: April 27, 2017, 03:38:47 pm »

Sebastian greets the Mount King excitedly

Hi! he shouts. It's been a while eh? Hey monkey, you see this? It's my old friend the Mount King. Mount King, this is Paw Monkey, the monkey's paw wish granting magical genie. He's grumpy, but he's got a good heart. SO, how you been?

((I would imagine we'd have to be over a thousand feet up to be face to face with this guy, since his arm alone lifted the warbeast several hundred feet.))

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: April 27, 2017, 04:39:49 pm »

"Hmmm... What do you think, Mr. Bird? Cultist hunting, or rest by the fire?"
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:58:24 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: April 27, 2017, 04:43:04 pm »

"I rather enjoy being able to see, so let's stick around here for a bit. Maybe someone will turn up and we can see if this cave is worth exploring? I imagine if unusual troglodytes come charging out with slavering jaws, that'll be a good enough sign to go back out again."

Express desire to stay here a little while. Keep a birdy ear out for activity in the tunnels.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: April 27, 2017, 04:58:15 pm »

"I mean, we could probably make a torch and keep going. But, I suppose whoever lit this fire would have put it back out if they weren't intending to return." Hyenakles scratches his chin. "It's odd, you'd think we'd be asphyxiating right now. I wonder if there's a chimney in here?"

Check out the room a bit more thoroughly. Is the fire in a dedicated hearth, and if so, is it ventillated? Or are we breathing in its smoke right now? Also look to see if there are any scraps large enough for making a torch.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: April 27, 2017, 05:00:05 pm »

"If you don't think about it very hard you'll presumably be shielded from the terrible consequences, dear Hyenakles. Sadly unlikely now that you've pointed it out, of course, but what are you going to do?"

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: April 27, 2017, 05:23:18 pm »

"I'm gonna hope real hard that I find a goddamn chimney."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: April 27, 2017, 06:11:36 pm »

((how big is the warbeast anyway? It's kinda gorilla shaped, right?))

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: April 27, 2017, 06:30:12 pm »

The beast is at least five stories tall, and the immediate impression it gives is that of an armored gorilla. It has the same heavy, oversized upper body and hunched, knuckle walking stance. But the face and head have a more mandrill like appearance, a longer muzzle with a very obvious and oversized fangs.  It has a line of seven orange eyes spaced evenly across its face, and a reptile like slit nose, but otherwise the face is smooth and featureless except for the bone structure underneath. The body is covered in thick black hair, except for the hands which are scaly and end in talons. Its armor is a mess; clearly at one point is was more then likely either fully armored or close to it, but much of it has fallen away. There are scattered lamellar metal plates, bindings of faded red fabric, snapped rope and cables on tightly clinging metal rings. The metal plates were once very ornate, you can see the fading, worn away paint and the engravings they still bear, but they've clearly been exposed to the elements for quite a while.  On it's shoulders and head is an entire platform system, metal and wood structure that appear to have their foundations sunk straight into the creature's flesh. There are structures up there, perched on those platforms, and even what look like banners, still flying on their poles.

The creature appears to be extremely injured. It's black fur glints with what look like the metal shafts of buried spears and arrows, And there are several huge golden metal steaks piercing straight through it. The stakes appear to have been driven through it's back, the points stick out through the chest and the parts rising from the creature's back are adorned with what look like emblems on their terminal end. Almost as though the stakes were ornamental or symbolic. Or perhaps simply ornate.  If there was an easy climbing route up to the top of the beast, it's gone now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3548 on: April 29, 2017, 08:10:42 pm »

Just a short dino, not a baby one.

Follow Xan where he goes.

Probably better off with the blue pills then, my friend.

Off with Xan you go.

Sebastian greets the Mount King excitedly

Hi! he shouts. It's been a while eh? Hey monkey, you see this? It's my old friend the Mount King. Mount King, this is Paw Monkey, the monkey's paw wish granting magical genie. He's grumpy, but he's got a good heart. SO, how you been?

((I would imagine we'd have to be over a thousand feet up to be face to face with this guy, since his arm alone lifted the warbeast several hundred feet.))
The mount king blinks slowly and laboriously. Then he raises his head and shows his massive teeth to you and says something. But its voice is so great, slow and deep that you can't make out whatever it is that he said.

"I mean, we could probably make a torch and keep going. But, I suppose whoever lit this fire would have put it back out if they weren't intending to return." Hyenakles scratches his chin. "It's odd, you'd think we'd be asphyxiating right now. I wonder if there's a chimney in here?"

Check out the room a bit more thoroughly. Is the fire in a dedicated hearth, and if so, is it ventillated? Or are we breathing in its smoke right now? Also look to see if there are any scraps large enough for making a torch.
"I rather enjoy being able to see, so let's stick around here for a bit. Maybe someone will turn up and we can see if this cave is worth exploring? I imagine if unusual troglodytes come charging out with slavering jaws, that'll be a good enough sign to go back out again."

Express desire to stay here a little while. Keep a birdy ear out for activity in the tunnels.
The fire is not in a dedicated hearth; its just sort of sitting on the ground. There's no ventilation either, just smoke pouring onto the ceiling and then matriculating down the halls. But the fire is small, so there's only a small amount of smoke, mostly gathered round the ceiling.

You think you could grab the biggest piece of wood there and hold it from one side to form a torch. Not a great torch mind you, but an ok one.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: April 29, 2017, 08:54:37 pm »

Pull out a big ol' tape recorder and say "What?" Record the voice, then play it back at twice the speed.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: April 29, 2017, 09:16:10 pm »

"Interesting."

Well, we've got what we need. Now where to? Unless anyone has alternate suggestions, I propose we skirt around the edges of the Deep Woods until we get to the Black Sun Cult.
Ya quoted this last update, but nothing happened so..?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3551 on: May 01, 2017, 09:36:21 am »

Pull out a big ol' tape recorder and say "What?" Record the voice, then play it back at twice the speed.
[5]
You hammer space a tape recorder and ask him to repeat

He makes another series of noises, though not the same ones. You record it and then play it back at twice speed. Its still too slow.

"Interesting."

Well, we've got what we need. Now where to? Unless anyone has alternate suggestions, I propose we skirt around the edges of the Deep Woods until we get to the Black Sun Cult.
Ya quoted this last update, but nothing happened so..?
Alright then, you head to the black sun cult and walk straight into the blazing, murderous, very angry sunlight. It immediately begins to quite painfully burn all exposed skin and degrade all light materials.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: May 01, 2017, 09:20:28 pm »

Keep speeding it up until it either makes sense or passes out of the range of hearing.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: May 01, 2017, 09:37:47 pm »

"Well, shoot. You're the closest thing to a canary down here, so tell me if you start feeling lightheaded."

I think we're just going to keep waiting until either somebody shows up, or we get bored and seek them out. So yeah.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: May 02, 2017, 12:19:20 am »

"Hmm."

Right, let's temporarily turn back to the Deep Woods and spend some time being ... practical.

IE using those trees we harvested to rebuild that shelter on the warbeast's back.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 241