Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The creeping blackness  (Read 1947 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The creeping blackness
« on: July 04, 2015, 01:33:02 pm »

So... I had a 2 year old fort, about 60 dwarfs, and was digging some quarters for the new mayor.

Suddenly, I get messages that the miners were unable to path to drink.  WTF?  So I 'z' onto them... and they aren't there.  There is just a black box over where the corner of the room they had been digging was.  It wasn't interactive - some sort of graphics glitch I guess?  Never seen this before, and haven't modded the LNB or gotten a new update in weeks.

Anyone else seen this?  And is it repairable?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: The creeping blackness
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 02:21:09 pm »

That sounds similar to what happens when you use DFhack's 'reveal' then do 'unreveal' after dwarves have moved into mined out areas that were previously hidden. The tiles end up hidden again and the dwarves get confused because they're in unknown territory. Try using revflood on some adjacent visible tile if you have DFhack, that fixes it in the above situation at least.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 01:09:52 pm »

they hit ablack hole!!!!!!!!!!111
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 02:06:47 pm »

Are you using any third-party programs (DF hack and such)?
Are you using graphic tiles?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 03:04:15 am »

use dfhack revflood in a visible part of your fort.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 03:12:12 am »

I just had the same happening to me after channeling out, flooring over and removing the floor in a murky pool. Some tiles simply turned black and cannot be accessed anymore. I'm not sure in which of these steps it happened. However, no dwarf was trapped and I integrated them into an artificial lake, so they don't bother anyone.
Nevertheless, would be nice know the reasons for it...
I use dfhack, but only workflow, autobutcher, seedwatch and showmood, never reveal. And phoebus graphics.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:16:17 am by Uggh »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 05:19:08 am »

To answer all the questions, yes, I use the "plain" LNP, which includes dfhack.  I hadn't done any reveals or anything, and I ended up abandoning the fort.  I will try revflood if it ever happens again. 
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 10:57:38 pm »