Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 220526 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #1740 on: August 28, 2015, 05:14:25 am »

Proposed Arstotzka-Moskurg War Treaty
  • The intentional usage of any solid, gaseous or liquid acidic, paralytic, or nerve agent that can directly harm humans on humans is prohibited
  • The intentional usage of any weapon that utilizes harmful natural or engineered diseases that can directly harm humans on humans is prohibited
  • The usage or production of any weapons capable of spreading radioactive contamination over any area is prohibited
  • Only the intended recipient of an encoded message is permitted to decode it

I submit this as an amendment to the proposed treaty.
this gets my vote

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC
« Reply #1741 on: August 28, 2015, 05:34:06 am »

Seems acceptable.

Can we get the clause: "In the unlikely event that an agreement be made with 3 players from either side, additional rules can be put forward to vote."

Allows change, without cluttering up the thread as you need at least 3 people from either side before it even needs to be considered.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: August 28, 2015, 06:25:28 am »

I don't think there is even one signatory on team Moskurg to that..
Evilcherry is Moskurg. I take it you're voting against, though?

I'm not even certain Evilcherry said yes.  That said, one vote shouldn't be enough to carry it.  I see another from Kashyyk.  If I vote yes, would it be binding?

I'm against it.  There are many natural radioactives.  I might be in favor of the other two elements, but no banning any kind of radioactive, as it could be extended to practically any weapon if examined in detail.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:31:38 am by Devastator »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: August 28, 2015, 06:28:34 am »

As one of the Moskurgians i vote against it except for the fourth and final clause

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: August 28, 2015, 06:49:50 am »

We could change it to 'radioactive contamination sufficiently higher than background radiation that it poses significant health concerns'

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: August 28, 2015, 06:51:21 am »

We could change it to 'radioactive contamination sufficiently higher than background radiation that it poses significant health concerns'

(There's also the not-insignificant amount of evidence that indicates health benefits to exposure to slight but more-than-background amounts of radiation.)

What would you like to have banned?  If you need help turning it into legalese, I'd be glad to write something better.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #1746 on: August 28, 2015, 06:53:34 am »

Proposed Arstotzka-Moskurg War Treaty
  • The intentional usage of any solid, gaseous or liquid acidic, paralytic, or nerve agent that can directly harm humans on humans is prohibited
  • The intentional usage of any weapon that utilizes harmful natural or engineered diseases that can directly harm humans on humans is prohibited
  • The intentional usage of any weapon that causes radioactive contamination higher than background radiation such that it causes increased radiation-related health concerns is prohibited
  • The usage or production of any weapons capable of spreading radioactive contamination over any area is prohibited
  • Only the intended recipient of an encoded message is permitted to decode it

How's that?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: August 28, 2015, 06:55:13 am »

I still don't know what is trying to be banned with that line.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: August 28, 2015, 06:57:24 am »

Nukes, basically. But because legalese, it means anything that's slightly more radioactive than normal.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: August 28, 2015, 06:58:54 am »

Nukes, basically. But because legalese, it means anything that's slightly more radioactive than normal.

That's not how you ban nukes.  Here's how you would write up that:

"The employment of a weapon using a fission chain-reaction to generate explosive power."

That said, I'm against banning nukes.  It's like saying, 'we don't have a weapon, so we would like you to legally agree to not using it, in return for nothing.'

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: August 28, 2015, 07:00:23 am »

We are also forbidding things like dirty bombs. For example, dropping large quantities of radium. We want to preserve the island.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: August 28, 2015, 07:01:36 am »

We are also forbidding things like dirty bombs. For example, dropping large quantities of radium. We want to preserve the island.

Dirty bombs don't really work, though.  A salted fission device, which would, needs a chain reaction to work.  Cleaning up a chunk of radium requires a long-handled shovel and a steel drum, and takes quite a bit of effort to extract and purify.  Powder and explosive fragments would require, at worst, a week with fire hoses.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:08:31 am by Devastator »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: August 28, 2015, 07:05:46 am »

How do you define not working?  As in, they don't contaminate stuff?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: August 28, 2015, 07:10:19 am »

How do you define not working?  As in, they don't contaminate stuff?

They are not militarily effective.  They only work through the action of fear.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: August 28, 2015, 07:18:31 am »

And the point is?  We want to ban them not for their incredibly powerful battlefield potential,  but to preserve our land in case someone decides to demoralize the other side with such weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 159