Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679191 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8565 on: April 03, 2020, 12:59:29 pm »

I feel like the Great Khan event fires way too early, since in every single game I played it has always popped before anyone can really stand a chance against him. Guess I'll just use some of my federation as a buffer until the Khan dies naturally.
If it bothers you, then push the midgame start date during galaxy creation to sometime later. I think it's tied to that.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: April 03, 2020, 01:29:10 pm »

I feel like the Great Khan event fires way too early, since in every single game I played it has always popped before anyone can really stand a chance against him. Guess I'll just use some of my federation as a buffer until the Khan dies naturally.
If it bothers you, then push the midgame start date during galaxy creation to sometime later. I think it's tied to that.
There is the crisis manager mid-game edition in steam workshop.  You can change when the khans can show up alongside the conditions for them to show up.  But it needs a new game.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: April 03, 2020, 03:37:24 pm »

Didn't think it was tied to that, thanks.

I'll have to start a new game anyway because I let another empire join my hegemony... only for them to usurp leadership (and thus the federation fleet) because of their greater diplomatic weight.

And because I no longer had the federation fleet, the Khan was free to rampage across the entire federation while the new leader did fuck-all.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: April 03, 2020, 06:02:16 pm »

Marauders are the only thing tied to the midgame year right now I think.  Both the Khan and when they start to offer themselves up as mercenaries.  I think.  Never used them for that so I barely pay attention to the notification.

Anyway, I gave the voidborne start a spin and it's really cool.  Definitely changes the feel of the game in a measurable way for me.  You start out very powerful, but it's really hard to expand early on.  The ability to build science districts without using up building slots really helps with early science, and unless I'm crazy you also start out producing more unity than normal.  Traditions seemed to come much faster.

I suspect the real pain comes about 2250 where you're struggling to keep up with the expansion of other empires.  About 25 years in and I've only scraped up about half of the alloys needed for another habitat.  That said, you don't spend as much time waiting for a habitat to be useful as you do a planet, so maybe it balances out.  Another issue I'm expecting to see is that building slots are at a premium still.  I tend to build with a gene clinic on every planet for the amenities and RP aspect, and that's a building slot I really want to recoup for habitats because getting even 40 pops on one is a bit tough without exceeding housing.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8569 on: April 03, 2020, 07:15:03 pm »

Marauders are the only thing tied to the midgame year right now I think.  Both the Khan and when they start to offer themselves up as mercenaries.  I think.  Never used them for that so I barely pay attention to the notification.

Anyway, I gave the voidborne start a spin and it's really cool.  Definitely changes the feel of the game in a measurable way for me.  You start out very powerful, but it's really hard to expand early on.  The ability to build science districts without using up building slots really helps with early science, and unless I'm crazy you also start out producing more unity than normal.  Traditions seemed to come much faster.

I suspect the real pain comes about 2250 where you're struggling to keep up with the expansion of other empires.  About 25 years in and I've only scraped up about half of the alloys needed for another habitat.  That said, you don't spend as much time waiting for a habitat to be useful as you do a planet, so maybe it balances out.  Another issue I'm expecting to see is that building slots are at a premium still.  I tend to build with a gene clinic on every planet for the amenities and RP aspect, and that's a building slot I really want to recoup for habitats because getting even 40 pops on one is a bit tough without exceeding housing.

If you push alloy production to the extreme you can start churning out habitats pretty early. When I tried voidborn I didn't bother expanding my research and just went full alloy focused. I ended up only expanding to like 6 systems and using every drop of influence on habitats. When I had enough alloy production to keep pace with my influence generation I switched and started building research habitats. When I ran out of room I claimed and conquered neighboring systems and built more habitats. By 2300 I had 4x the population of any of the grand admiral AI lol.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: April 03, 2020, 09:10:57 pm »

Marauders are the only thing tied to the midgame year right now I think.
Also the wraith leviathan, synthetic uprisings, enigmatic cache, and some of the "on the shoulders of giants" origin.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: April 03, 2020, 09:15:49 pm »

*Only got Apocalypse with Federations, hasn't faced the Great Khan*
Forgive me, but how bad is it to be a satrap?
Maybe it's worse now since it presumably ruins Federation progress, but how bad is it?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: April 03, 2020, 09:56:56 pm »

You have to pay 10% energy and 20% mineral income, as well as 30% naval capacity, so not very bad on that front. Certainly better than having to fight and losing a bunch of ships and systems. The real risk comes from when the khan dies, depending on how successful they were there is a chance you will end up as a normal vassal and get integrated. You can rebel, but they keep a lot of the fleets they had as the khan so it's usually quite difficult.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: April 04, 2020, 12:55:01 pm »

You have to pay 10% energy and 20% mineral income, as well as 30% naval capacity, so not very bad on that front. Certainly better than having to fight and losing a bunch of ships and systems. The real risk comes from when the khan dies, depending on how successful they were there is a chance you will end up as a normal vassal and get integrated. You can rebel, but they keep a lot of the fleets they had as the khan so it's usually quite difficult.
And it will boot you out of any federation you might be in, so there's that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: April 05, 2020, 02:05:03 am »

My hive mind is lonely and wants to invite a few billion friends over.
I legitimately love this concept and I wish there was an option to actually have that as a personality. I feel like a Hivemind should be able to have ethics, which determine it's personality, but also be able to switch them at will? Since it's less "these are what our empire holds dear" and more "this is my personal opinion on a subject".

Either way, it'd be pretty cool to get to be buddy-buddy with a hivemind. I imagine it'd be a pretty foreign experience for them, but out of a galaxy with half a dozen, one's liable to decide they like it.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: April 05, 2020, 02:28:05 am »

We have tried bombs. We have tried bullets. I have tried viruses and weapons too terrible to mention. None of them worked. The swarm is resilient.
But in the end, all we really needed to do was be brave enough to ask about their feelings.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: April 05, 2020, 02:46:49 am »

and they are Borg

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: April 05, 2020, 04:40:47 pm »

things that make me restart in the new patch:

1. picking Hegemony or Federation start, and getting a Criminal Syndicate in my federation

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: April 06, 2020, 05:44:55 am »

so, do you now have to build an outpost in every single system or there's some organic growth of borders still?

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: April 06, 2020, 07:00:55 am »

You need an outpost in every system these days. If you leave any sort of gap in your territory and you haven't closed your borders, the AI will swoop in to claim empty systems and make border gore simply to spite you. I've killed a lot of aliens for that exact reason. It's not xenophobia, it's OCD.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 632