Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 425728 times)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #630 on: March 12, 2016, 06:19:17 am »

I believe that's Dolowin's design. Dump magma-safe minecarts into the magma chamber, let magma flood the chamber, then drain the magma through the fortifications. Build a track stop to dump the magma somewhere, place the minecarts on said track stop, and the magma will be dumped onto the tile beside it.

Or, you know, you could make another 100 z-level pump stack.

Uhhh, I'll pass on the 100 z-level pump stack. I hope to break the "making a pump stack will solve all our problems" recurring theme that has been going on with the recent forts I've participated in and just chill with the dwarves of Breadbowl over the monotony of living dangerously farming extravagantly. I've had quite enough of those monstrosities of dwarven engineering thank you. Besides the lag will be even more horrendous.

From what I understand of what you've said, by "place the mine carts on the track stops" you mean manually dump the magma filled minecarts onto the track stops?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 12, 2016, 06:49:28 am »

I think there are magma-safe mine carts stockpiled in a room and flooded with magma, then drained.

So those minecarts have 2/7 magma inside, and you need 2 minecarts to fuel a pit for a magma smelter/forge/kiln/glass near the surface.  4/7 magma is all you need to active them. 

So you construct a trackstop dumping in the pit's direction.  Create a route, remove all condition, then create a stop and assign 1 of the minecarts. 

Push Vehicle labor should be enabled to a hauler, then the hauler will move the minecart in the trackstop and it should automatically dump. 

Then (h) back to route, highlight stop, v to assign a new minecart.

Once you have 4/7 magma, delete route, and deconstruction trackstop, and build the magma building.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #632 on: March 15, 2016, 02:28:43 am »

The Baron Gwolfski has mandated the production of strawberries, strawberry wine and soap!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 15, 2016, 02:52:33 am »

Strawberry soap?

They're all the rage in Thailand.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 15, 2016, 03:59:15 am »

The Baron Gwolfski has mandated the production of strawberries, strawberry wine and soap!
Sorry about the strawberries everywhere gwolfski goes, there's a lack of them in doomforests.
Strawberry
 soap? Huh... Psychoangel would be proud.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:26:14 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 15, 2016, 05:02:05 am »

This is a papyrus scroll, stamped with the wax seal of the Old Nets.
It is addressed to Zuglarkun, Viceroy of Breadbowl.

With the arrival of the King, stricter adherence to the letter of the law will be expected. Hence the council has decided that the remaining positions of nobility shall be filled out by able individuals to carry out the administrative will of the council. We have decided that Imic "Wild Thing" meets such a profile, and will be appointed to the position of hammerer to help administer the arm of dwarven justice. Do be noted that this appointment will be effective immediately as of 1st Hematite 243 and you are advised to prepare the necessary equipment and training to expedite the process so he can take up his duties as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
The Dwarven High Council

Spoiler: Letter of appointment (click to show/hide)

Well shit, nobody told me anything, and what's this about a viceroy? These fellas are sauntering in like they owned the place, changing things and taking over operations at their leisure. Well I don't really care, they can do whatever they please as long as they leave me out of it. Oh wait, they are going to throw this task to me and expect me to carry out all the legwork?

4th Hematite

Progress is being made on the construction of the King's quarters. The base of the tower is being constructed out of lead, and the current plan will be to carve a moat around the tower. Our engineers are already on the task.

In the meantime, extra dwarfpower is being channeled towards refuse dumping in the second caverns. The refuse dumps will be expanded to further separate out the junk so that our bone carvers will have easy access to the right materials.
Unfortunately, such tasks entail certain risks. One of our mason haulers (Which one? They all have the same name, it's so confusing.) is accosted by a "friendly" cave crocodile in search of a sparring partner.

Fortunately, its over enthusiasm leads it straight into one of our cage traps. I believe May will be pleased with our new guest.
Spoiler: a new resident (click to show/hide)

With the absence of Vortex, Murky was appointed to militia captain of The Earthern Assaults. The fellas drank to his promotion.

6th Hematite 243

Spoiler: Little improvements (click to show/hide)
In an effort to shore up deficiencies in our medical services, Fath the outpost liaison has begun making plaster powder for our hospital.

10th Hematite 243

Our Neighbourhood Watch has spotted a giant cave spider heading straight for our refuse haulers!
Spoiler: Giant cave spider GET. (click to show/hide)
Someone inform May that we have yet another applicant applying for residency in the animal pens!

The new kitchen areas have been excavated and built. The King will be pleased to know that this will increase our meal cooking capacity exponentially, though first we must train more chefs to handle all the extra kitchen duties.
Spoiler: Cooking facilities (click to show/hide)

May has informed me that our new resident is happy with her stay at Breadbowl animal hotel. I hope she likes her unroofed quarters and the accompanying rain that never EVER lets up.

"Cousin Zuglarkun! I've heard you've become the Viceroy of Breadbowl!" said Bim as she sashayed up to me with a wide grin on her face, arms extended outwards in a show of welcome.

"Ah cousin Bim, I did not notice that you have recently moved to Breadbowl, allow me to extend my welcome as the presiding Overseer." said I as I gave her a hug back.

"Overseer? Oh no cousin, the King prefers for you to go by the appointment position of Viceroy instead of that uncouth term. As part of the King's retainers, I've been appointed as the Viscountess of Breadbowl to inspect the food production facilities and make sure everything is running alright. I expect you'll be hearing more about the changes to come soon." beamed Bim as she left me slightly befuddled at this new development. More changes?

This is a pigtail parchment marked with the wax seal of The Old Nets.

Please be informed residents of Breadbowl,

As part of a greater movement to bring about greater cohesiveness of the community and greater productivity, the King has taken counsel with his personal council of advisers and formulated a series of changes to improve conditions here in Breadbowl. These changes are effectively immediately, and non-adherents will be severely hammered.

Here is the first mandate

The "generic job title as name" act will be abolished. Instead, their names will be returned and the generic job title will go under their title or profession name.

"Thank Armok!" praised Mason Hauler No.4.
"Bless the King!" praised Potsmith No. 8.
"All praise be to Nekut!" hollered Brewmaster Brewer No. 3.
"All praise the King!" said Chef Cook no. 4.
"Yea Yea!" agreed ClearGlassDuty No. 3.

Evidently, the citizens of Breadbowl are sick of being given the generic unimportant character treatment. Well at least they have some more agency to exercise now.

The scroll continued:

Here is the second mandate:

The various Watch Onul's, Watch Cilob's, Watch Japa's, Watch Ushat's of the Neighborhood Watch shall have their titles consolidated and hereafter they shall be known as Watchers.

Here is the third and final mandate:

In recognition of her accomplishments, Quasar our esteemed mayor is to step down from her position as broker, and continue to focus on performing her mayoral duties. Fath our outpost liaison will instead step up to take the mantle of broker.

Sincerely,
The High Council of Breadbowl

14th Hematite 243

A caravan from Behal Rusna has arrived to cart off the meals and drinks to the various provinces in need of aid.

Spoiler: Famished rhinos (click to show/hide)
May reports that the rhinos are getting malnourished and require a transfer to fresh pastures. I've ordered a reshuffling of the pastures to avoid further starvation problems.

Spoiler: Elk Birds (click to show/hide)
She also reports that the training for the elk birds is coming along well. Recently even more elk bird hatchlings have hatched. She reports that we should expect a domesticated population of elk birds soon. After which we can proceed to cull off the adult population that to some degree retains a somewhat wild and unruly disposition.

Imush and Tirist are entrusted with the task of hauling the magma laden minecarts up to the surface. The plan will be to expand our glass making facilities so as to alleviate our drink production bottleneck problems due to lack of containers.

17th Hematite 243

Spoiler: a goblin? (click to show/hide)
The goblin law-giver Anig Spicypolish has arrived once again to trade words with our Duke. Quasar is re-elected mayor, she would like to thank all her supporters and long time "customers".
Spoiler: Quasar is grateful (click to show/hide)

Lost in all the heedless revelry, nobody notices when...

19th Hematite 243

Spoiler: Breeding program (click to show/hide)
Elsewhere, the GCS quarters are being expanded to accommodate the newly caught Giant Cave Spider. We hope to get a breeding program going for these magnificent creatures. Their meat will be a delightful addition to Breadbowl's menu.

"Loading some bait for a big catch! Loading some bait for a big haul!" May whistles as she merrily goes about her work.

Spoiler: Busy at work (click to show/hide)
May is so focused on her work that she fails to notice the danger that is slowly encroaching upon her.

Licesi arrives and stares down May.
Licesi is not amused.

May manages to escape from Licesi, locking the door behind her as Licesi scrambles to the door. The forgotten beast pounds mercilessly on the locked door, but the door holds and doesn't budge. In the meantime I wait with newly appointed captain murky just inside the doorway for the rest of the squads to arrive. I doubt the rock salt door will long withstand the pounding of Licesi.

Recognizing the unfavorable terrain, where the narrowness of the corridor will allow the coral beast to fire with impunity, I proposed that we should split our forces and flank Licesi while it is occupied with the door. Our masons were contacted and an opening was forced in the southern wall. The Neighborhood Watch will make use of this opening to move into flanking position on the east end.

Spoiler: Time is running out (click to show/hide)
The rock salt door begins to show signs of budging as each pound sends dust clouds flying everywhere. I reckon it will not hold for much longer. The west wall is soon taken down and the Shafts of Fortifying are next to move into flanking position.

Spoiler: Wait, what's this? (click to show/hide)
Pyro where did you come from?

"No! Don't come closer, you'll alert the beast!" I shouted over the hideous din of Licesi pounding on the rock salt door.

Damn it, Pyro seems drowsy and is not responding to our orders. Time to risk it!

20th Hematite 243

The Shafts of Fortifying issued from the left passageway in secret and are now beginning to flank Licesi. Meanwhile, The Earthern Assaults waited for the Shafts to distract Licesi before issuing out from the barely standing rock salt door. The Neighborhood Watch will attempt to provide support fire from the right.

DDDragoni was first to engage Licesi Garethofiva. She was old, but still hale at 153 years of age and wielded her ≡steel short sword≡ with considerable skill, striking at the feet of the beast, causing it to fall over. Taking the opening, Olin charges in along with Sanctume the Foremost among Mace Lords and begins to chip away at the beasts formidable armor. Still the beast was undeterred and even though grounded was still a dangerous foe, trying to wrangle at the dwarves and grasp at anything nearby. DDDragoni was caught up in its webs and Licesi took advantage by grappling her teeth. The other dwarves hacked away at the coral hide of Licesi managing to free DDDragoni, but she falls over and is entangled yet again in Licesi's spray of webbing. The dwarves tried to hack away at the thick coral encrusted hide to little avail.

Spoiler: Tragedy (click to show/hide)
If Licesi was going down it was going to take someone with it. It grabbed a prone and webbed DDDragoni by her greaves and with a mighty kick, caved in DDDragoni's skull. Finally, Asen the Axe Lord hacks off the beasts coral crowned head with a mighty heave of his ≡steel battle axe≡, ending the rampage of Licesi Cavejuice.

Spoiler: Aftermath (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A bountiful harvest (click to show/hide)
Above ground, the fecund foliage surrounding Breadbowl bursts into a medley of colors as various fruits are in season. The fruits have matured and are ready for harvest, and many dwarves are taking stepladders to climb up the canopy treetops; tossing the fruits down to the ground below. Rambutans, paradise nut fruits, lychees, citrons, olives, guavas, finger limes and bitter oranges all lay littered all over the animal pens where the orchard is located.

Spoiler: 1st round of trade (click to show/hide)
Outpost Liaison and now broker Fath trades for some sand bags, clay, empty wooden barrels and iron anvils for most of the "junk" we have lying around. All the large and small ill fitting clothing, troll derived apparel, elf produced grown apparel and all the arrows were traded away.

In recognition of its prowess, Asen names the ≡steel battle axe≡ that killed Licesi - Containedpulled the Amber Vise of Scandles. Well deserved!

22nd Hematite 243

Rhino calves were born, and the King has imposed a ban on bucklers as well as scepters.

In the meantime, the goblin law-giver has adjourned into the Duke Gwolfski's office to discuss important political matters with the Duke.
Spoiler: The same old same old (click to show/hide)

The goblin law-giver goes on a long tirade about the wars afflicting our world. The Duke nods and lends a listening ear, but pays no heed, as he has heard of all this before. He could hardly mask his aura of ambivalence, as he listened to the goblin spill its drivel. From Breadbowl's standpoint, none of this changes anything, we'll still have to feed all the refuges.

The meeting comes to an end, with the Duke bidding the goblin law-giver a "safe" journey.
"Damn it, all that talk made me work up an appetite for strawberries" He muttered to himself.
Spoiler: Farewell (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: R.I.P. DDDragoni (click to show/hide)
The elder DDDragoni is entombed next to Vorvtex and Zulban. I think she would have liked to have ended her life's journey this way, in the heat of battle instead of doddering on until old age took her at the end of her wits.

27th Hematite 243

The King sat down to admire this most exquisite of dwarven cuisines, water buffalo meat mixed with chunks of finely minced taro, coated in whip vine flour and fried in a batter of donkey tallow. He felt a pang of bliss as he took a bite out of it. It had a delectable savoriness to it, and the crunchiness of the outer crust contrasted sharply with the tender buffalo meat. Still, it was no substitute for finely prepared white spotted pufferfish or two humped camel hump pie. He took another bite of it and asked that it be brought to the caravan to be added to the food stocks headed out for the borderlands. He would have to satisfy his urges via other means.

Spoiler: Final trade tally (click to show/hide)
After consulting with the Mayor, and with the blessings of the king, the purchase of white yam seeds, cotton seeds and alfalfa seeds was approved and added to our seed portfolio. Other seeds native to our soil conditions were also brought to bolster our seed stocks.

The traders brought foxtail millet and white millet but no pearl millet at all, a shame really. Unfortunately the Duke's mandate for all things strawberry related will have to be put off. There is not a single strawberry in sight anywhere. However, the good news is that watermelons are in season!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:57:39 am by Zuglarkun »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 15, 2016, 09:39:30 am »

Santume raises his drink to toast,
"It is glorious to see Shafts, Earthen, and Watchers in action against the beast! 
Salute to old DDDragoni, you have been honored a warrior's death."

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 15, 2016, 12:21:34 pm »

Bearskie nurses his mug glumly. The king, the beasts, the infected... DDDragoni's death was just the latest in a series of downturns for Breadbowl. He nods at Sanctume's toast with respect. Filled with sadness, he decides to retire to bed early.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 15, 2016, 01:40:16 pm »

(snip)

DDDragoni was first to engage Licesi Garethofiva. She was old, but still hale at 153 years of age and wielded her ≡steel short sword≡ with considerable skill, striking at the feet of the beast, causing it to fall over. Taking the opening, Olin charges in along with Sanctume the Foremost among Mace Lords and begins to chip away at the beasts formidable armor. Still the beast was undeterred and even though grounded was still a dangerous foe, trying to wrangle at the dwarves and grasp at anything nearby. DDDragoni was caught up in its webs and Licesi took advantage by grappling her teeth. The other dwarves hacked away at the coral hide of Licesi managing to free DDDragoni, but she falls over and is entangled yet again in Licesi's spray of webbing. The dwarves tried to hack away at the thick coral encrusted hide to little avail.

Spoiler: Tragedy (click to show/hide)
If Licesi was going down it was going to take someone with it. It grabbed a prone and webbed DDDragoni by her greaves and with a mighty kick, caved in DDDragoni's skull. Finally, Asen the Axe Lord hacks off the beasts coral crowned head with a mighty heave of his ≡steel battle axe≡, ending the rampage of Licesi Cavejuice.

Spoiler: Aftermath (click to show/hide)

(snip)

Spoiler: R.I.P. DDDragoni (click to show/hide)
The elder DDDragoni is entombed next to Vorvtex and Zulban. I think she would have liked to have ended her life's journey this way, in the heat of battle instead of doddering on until old age took her at the end of her wits.

Alas, dear Granny, we hardly knew ye. I think she would have wanted to go out making sure the young'ns were protected. Would you be so kind to redorf me as Darzen?
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #639 on: March 15, 2016, 03:35:19 pm »

Make Strawberry roasts : 0/30
Make Strawberry soap : 0/10
Make Strawberry wine: 0/50

The baron is not pleased.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 16, 2016, 03:15:37 pm »

requesting dwarfing as blitzgamer, male, likes blue/microline, and is either a weaponsmith or armorsmith
Microline for everyone!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #641 on: March 16, 2016, 05:34:46 pm »

Turn request, Also, Dorf me, i want to be a male dorf with a pet cat, engineer at best

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 17, 2016, 01:22:27 am »

Would you be so kind to redorf me as Darzen?

Any specific preferences that will help me narrow it down? Or should I just roll the dice?

requesting dwarfing as blitzgamer, male, likes blue/microline, and is either a weaponsmith or armorsmith

I have a match for microcline but she is a metalsmith. Will that do?

Turn request, Also, Dorf me, i want to be a male dorf with a pet cat, engineer at best

You've already been dorfed. 3rd spoiler (A slightly unhinged engineer at work) from my last post, as the only dwarf with a mechanic profession left that is not Tick Slayer. Also likes giant minks instead of cats. Will that suffice?

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 17, 2016, 01:26:18 am »

Would you be so kind to redorf me as Darzen?

Any specific preferences that will help me narrow it down? Or should I just roll the dice?

Just roll the dice. It helps me get ideas for an interesting character.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 17, 2016, 05:25:58 am »

Just roll the dice. It helps me get ideas for an interesting character.

*rolls 1d200* (its 1d200 because we recently received 3 migrants)

Spoiler: hmmm... (click to show/hide)

Make Strawberry roasts : 0/30
Make Strawberry soap : 0/10
Make Strawberry wine: 0/50

The baron is not pleased.

*Looks up from mandate scroll*

"Say... Mayor Quasar..."

"Yes what is it? Can't you see there is a long line of citizens waiting to cry and yell their lungs out at me?"

"Er yes. Do you know of any barons named Gwolfski?"

"Let's see now... We have a... duke that's named Gwolfski. *slight pause for dramatic effect* But I'm afraid I don't know of any barons that go by that name."

"Hmmm... Well that settles it then. *Tears up mandate* I just don't understand. Why would someone want to play a prank like that?"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:42:42 am by Zuglarkun »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 105