Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 424510 times)

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06]
« Reply #1095 on: August 12, 2016, 02:55:45 am »

For some reason, I'd love to see a sci-fi TV series adaptation of this fort. Like the first 9 years it's a station orbiting an agricultural colony, which is close to enemy space, but in the 10th year, a biological starship (like the one in Star Trek The Next Genration episode "Tin Man") with a sci-fi flamethrower burns the planet's farms to the ground. And make every 2 years one season, just in case CBS (idk why, don't ask) thinks 10 seasons of nothing is a waste of money (even though sieges do happen, the execs and corporate people would see it like a DS9 Way of the Warrior-ish space battle).

Actually, no. 1 season per year would make sense, because 4 sieges in a row in 1 TV season is too much.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:26:59 am by HMetal2001 »
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 12, 2016, 10:51:26 am »

Similar to like Game of Thrones Season 1's shock value: a child baby drowns, a well is created, life goes on.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: August 12, 2016, 03:17:03 pm »

OOC: Spring is finished! Very little happened. We attained general familiarity with training giant sparrows and gray languars. Dorfs are slipping in and out of depression (ToniK seems to be doing this a lot). Fewer images than I would like but merely playing was extremely frustrating because of low FPS (low single digits usually around 3-5) so I didn't feel like spending additional time documenting everything. One of the reasons nothing happened was that FPS was sufficiently low that I decided to read a book while DF was running and the dwarves were completing the tasks I gave them. No one died and no trade was conducted (I accidentally offered elves one wooden container out of the many, many ceramic ones). We can export more than twice the allowed weight so I planned to buy an elephant in order to export everything. Because of the extremely low FPS I have started a genocide on all of our animals. We had ~300 when I started my turn and now we are down to 260. Any survivors will probably spent some time in cages so they don't path everywhere all the time. I have destroyed some nests too to stop the explosive breeding of olms and cave crocs. Hopefully FPS will be tolerable for the next player. There was some discussion on whether the caged berserk dwarf is fed and the answer is affirmative

In character:
Month one.
I don't like our king. I asked him to reconsider his decision to ban underground crops and reminded him that this law was made in peacetime and we are currently at war and desperately in need of food. He refused. Bastard still wants Breadbowl his entire country. Well I guess I have to expand our farms. For a farming community Breadbowl is a weird place. Far too many dwarves are in the military and most of the few that aren't are doing useless things like decorating with horn or cooking meals (this task is particularly fruitless as our goal is to feed as many as possible, not cook for as many as possible. Let the military cook their own meals I say!). Strangely I have found an ally in one of the dwarf slaving away decorating baubles . One of these dwarves has earned the nickname "lazy bastard" which is a very ill-fitting description. Some of the work these dwarves have done is so beautiful I can understand why they are commanded to work like this. When peace arrives I predict Breadbowl will not be known for its vast food production or the skill of its champions but for the skill of its artisans.

In short there is very little dwarfpower to expand the farms or execute some of my other projects. I ordered two new above ground farms constructed as one of my first actions and one month later almost no work has been done. Clearly the locals have a terrible work ethic. Bringing in some migrants is the logical course of action but I know that the piles of rotting corpses will scare the good ones away. Some of the locals are still affected . This does not only apply to the farmers; I ordered some tunnels to be dug so that our useful craftdwarves, like the ones making glass pots, could travel without being disturbed by the weather (which has made ToniK slip into depression at least thrice and I have only been counting for a month). Speaking of which, half the dwarves here are either stressed or on the verge of a mental breakdown! We will lose this war if they're not replaced by some more mentally stable migrants. The course of action is obvious: I need to seize control of the useless dwarves and redirect their efforts to cleaning the outside in an effort to attract migrants. I doubt our cooks and craftdwarves have the brains to oppose my plans (most of them are too stressed to care anyway) but I worry the military may intervene if I reduce their number.

Month two.
I have decided how to clean up this fortress. One of my predecessors created a tower housing a series of refuse stockpiles above the butcher's shops. I have begun expanding the tower and changed the existing stockpiles to accept all kinds of refuse and corpses. The brilliant part is that the tower is very close to a magma based garbage disposal device which is the best way to get rid of the corpses. I will create a 'squad' of sorts that will live in the tower and constantly dump the garbage. I will begin initial tests now and once the tower has another story I will built some beds and a food stockpile up there meaning my squad can stay there permanently. A dwarf threw a tantrum and started two fights. Another dwarf is constantly slipping in and out of depression. A tragedy but I am losing much more sleep over the military. I walked by a squad today and 2/3 of them looked like they were ready to commit suice-by-crime or even worse. Perhaps I should send them on a suicide mission down to the caverns to fight the fire beast down there. The dump squad test was a success. When forced to work the locals are quite efficient but they lack the motivation to work unless they are forced to do so. I disbanded the squad until their quarters are set up. One of my lackeys alerted me to the fact that while the miners have been unwilling to work both in the quarries and on my tunnels we have continued to make rock pots. Since no new rock is mined we will run out of hard rock within a few weeks. Sigh. The elves came by asking us to hand over our food so their people may eat. Personally I think our king is too soft for Breadbowl is resisting the brunt of the assaults, so perhaps they should give us food? But as a loyal servant acting under order I tried to hand over our food but the broker offended them somehow. Naturally I am considering promoting the broker but s/he could be mentally unstable so I hesitate to do it. The squad returned saying something about how they couldn't find the monster through the smoke. I asked them why they didn't assume the monster was in the smoke and ordered them to be off duty for the next month.

Month three.
The tower is progressing nicely. The floor the dump squad will be sleeping on is big enough to house them and the floor above that is already providing enough shelter to prevent their beds from being soiled by the weather. Consequently the dump squad has been reinstated with new members. The squad I took off duty seems to be doing well in the sense their moods are improving. I had a weapon trap built where they do their exercises to cheer them up when they go back to training. They aren't doing well in the sense that they have meaningful things to do when they are off duty. Most of them appear to be hauling things around. They justify this by claiming their main profession is soldiering. I was tempted to argue against that and start implementing a military reform on the spot, but I have little hope I would succeed. On one hand transforming the military to a small core of legendary soldiers and returning the amateurs to the civilian status would greatly increase the labor force. I remind myself that I have already succeed in temporarily sending one squad off duty and that no one formally has challenged my authority. On the other hand if the military were to formally challenge my authority I would probably be banished and that any gain from a military reform is dwarfed by the gain migrants would bring to this metropolis. For now the military will be unchallenged but once 40 new, proper and loyal dwarves arrive the military reform will be implemented. No mining work has been done and the new farms have yet to be constructed. I appointed several new farmers and miners in the hope that some of them would do as I told them but I have had no luck. I found a curious creature in the hospital. A patient the doctors have given the nickname hypochondriac despite clear evidence that the dwarf is very wounded. I suppose the dwarf could have been a lazy hypochondriac and the surgeons decided to have their revenge by malpracticing on him to point where it borders torture. I checked the medical files and while the dwarf has been in the hospital for six months he has only been bathed a few times. He is evaluated several times each day but no one fixes his problems despite all the necessary materials are available. Oh well I can't dwell on this single dwarf I have better things to do. I checked our established farms and apparently we are planting crops we don't have seeds for. This is rectified.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 12, 2016, 03:56:45 pm »

That dwarf description reads like somebody teleported all the creatures on the map in one spot, then killed all enemies among them. 127x-cursed depression!

And yeah....Breadbowl is pretty military for what is supposed to be a farming community. 40 dwarves being living sacrifices so that more goblins may die. I worry the migrants won't come to rectify that with the breadbowl acting more like sadbowl recently.

How are it's diagnosers, though? Over the six months of nonstop evaluation, some of them are surely legendary?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 12, 2016, 04:36:52 pm »

iirc, for 42.06 each unique sentient corpse give 1x horrified thought that accumulates every week.

If the same dump tower, (there were two) is use, the one I built, should be suffucient to "not see" what is below.

The guess (science) at the time was 4z to 5z.  I think I did 5z, which is the reason why I build up because the aquifer was hit 2z down. 
However, I think the old refuse and corpse dump used a shallow pit via minecart dump which always adds horrified thoughts.

For a Corpse Crew, I used those with "Can Handle Stress" traits and monitor them monthly if drastic stress drop.  There should be another trait other than "Don't Care Anymore" that helps in dealing with sentient corpse hauling.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: August 13, 2016, 02:13:51 pm »

ooc: I quit (sorry!). I made it into the sixth month and the animal menace is unbearable. After mating season we're up to 350 animals which means I play at 2 FPS. Maybe I'm biased because of how low the game is but the dwarves refuse to do any work apart from melting and training animals that are about to be slaughtered. Of course you can't stop training them because the only thing that is worse than 350 giant olms and monitor lizards is 350 wild giant olms and wild monitor lizards. When I say the dwarves don't do any work I mean I waited 6 months for them to do simple tasks like mining out a hallway or building a farm (which hasn't happended yet). I recommend using DFHack to fight all the animals. I am unwilling to use DFHack unless expressly permitted especially because the narrative of BB is very close to actual gameplay so I leave the save for someone with more patience/better hardware to continue fighting the population boom with or without DFHack as decided by the community. Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0w6kv9u00cvwme/Migrant%20Breadbowl.zip?dl=0

In character:

Month 4
A vile force of darkness arrived. Naturally I ordered the bridges raised and the walls manned. I was unwilling to emphasize the importance of our military so I ordered the neighbourhood watch to fill the goblin horde with bolts. While they gathered their ammunition the besieging army spread. It came from the east (it numbered about 80) and slowly seized our moat and spread west. The trolls seemed especially eager to run to the west. The initial skirmishes led to the first (but not the last) deaths during my brief reign. The neighbourhood watch was massacred. Not in the traditional way of axe wielding goblins attacking crossbowdwarves but through ranged combat. The watch was delayed because there are very few entries to the wall (I gave the orders to rectify this almost immediately following the siege) so they had to walk very far. The fact that they were delayed did not matter because the relevant bridges were raised (eastern, nothern and southern leaving the western one open) but what did matter was that their entrance was far form where I ordered them to attack from. This mean the final leg of their journey was atop the walls while taking fire form the besieging army. The watch bravely followed my faulty orders and instead of stopping to return fire they kept running dodging most of the incoming fire but they did get hit. Eventually they stopped and started returning fire. Usually dwarves have the privilege of being better equipped and trained than their enemies but this was not a luxury the watch had as my predecessors had only given them leather armor despite the abundance of metal armor. Some among them were very skilled marksdwarves but others were hardly capable of hitting a caged elephant at point blank. This meant that they were incapable of fighting after being hit a few times and although some dwarves were skilled at not getting hit others were not and all of them had to dodge more bolts than their enemies. It was not my intention but the watchers decided to fight on the entire wall which meant all of the enemy archers had a target to shoot for. I accept full responsibility for the deaths that occured but their deaths were not the result of a tactical failure on my part but a failure in their equipment and training which I had no part in. The watch lost several members and their effect on the battle was negligible.

Seeing my strategy of ranged combat had failed and seeing how the enemy trolls were isolated and thus vulnerable the most reasonable course of action was to send out regular military to fight the trolls in the western moat. I picked our best trained squad (among its members are Taupe and Sanctume) for the mission and they won a glorious battle. The trolls were quickly killed and with only minimal risk to our military. Taupe was repeatedly bullrushed into a wall but with aid from the rest of the squad the trolls were defeated. After a short break the champions pushed towards the east, fighting small groups of goblins and trolls until the siege was lifted after a few days. I am quite contend I didn't send our champions to die a fiery death in the caverns for the sake of a glumprong door. I established a stockpile near the magma smelters to house all the copper armor the goblins came wearing and ordered additional dwarves to take up the mantle of furnace operator. This is a top priority because any reminder of the constant sieges will scare migrants away.

A day or so after the siege was lifted a human caravan arrived. During this time I checked on the alleged Hypochondriac and our diagnosers. I made a test for them and they all performed extraordinarily well. Our chief medicla dwarf is legendary, his second-in-command is great and our last doctor is accomplished. In any other fort this would be great news but in Breadbowl this only confirms my suspicions that the medical personnel is intentionally malpracticing their patients. This is the only possible explanation for why the Hypochondriac has gotten so much attention for so long time yet still lacks the treatment they all know is needed.

The human caravan was an awesome sight. We could easily export more than the elven caravan could carry but the Humans brought enough wagons to take all our booze as well as all our crops and seeds and dwarves if we were to evacuate BB. Exports: before and after . Unlike the elves I feel that the Humans deserve our help. First of all they don't throw a fit if they see wooden goods. It isn't a secret that we fell trees and if they think that is unethical, then they shouldn't come to our town and act surprised. And what is up with their "grown" goods? Our trees grow just as natural as their trees. If you ask me then they're simply trying to monopolize woodworking and I'm not falling for their tricks. Anyway the reason the Humans deserve our help is because they are fighting against the goblin menace and judging from the news the need our help. . Aiding the Humans is not free for us. The booze can easily be replace but hauling cost a lot of dwarfpower that the Humans can never repay us. If we include the time it will take to haul the things we bought from the humans to our stockpiles we will have spent an entire moth working on this one project. Since three caravans arrive each year that means three months of labour that do nothing to further the interests of Breadbowl. Perhaps we should use minecarts to haul food in the future. Unfortunately a simple farmer cannot build such a system.

Month 5
I was reading the bookkeepers reports and apparently we have massive stocks of brewable plants we haven't gotten around to brew yet. Next I checked some of our brewing hubs and to my horror I found that most of our stills were unmanned. This is rectified. The animal population is getting out of hand (I was under the impression that ordering almost every animal butchered and every nest destroyed would keep them under control). A few weeks ago we were down to 230 animals but since the pythons and a few birds hatched we are now well above 270 again. I need to employ more butchers. After increasing the number of active stills it followed that I would need to increase our pot production as well. I did this by optimizing the glass industry and dropping wooden and rock pots since both rock and stone are becoming rare. I increased production of clear glass blocks as well in case the farms are expanded. I doubt that will happen because it hasn't happened the past 5 months but should it happen I would like to be ready.

I used the decimation of the watchers to implement parts of my military reform. I disbanded two of the civilian squads and created a crossbow squad of the remains. The brilliant part is that I intend to briefly train them on live targets which liberates them to do other work permanently in the meantime. I have increased the workforce and limited the military. A glorious triumph.

I think I am losing control over this town. The citizens are becoming harder to work with. Case in point: the previous iteration of the dump squad was a considerable success but the current iteration has done no work despite having twice the original number. I revoked their bedroom privileges to motivate them but they initiated more protests and refused to work. They were discharged and I am currently looking for new candidates. All sorts of animal are hatching. We now have more than 300 animals. I have had no luck ordering citizens to remove the nestboxes from the pastures. Looks like we will be a ranching community and not a farming community in the future assuming we can keep up with taming these animals. Oh god. Monitor lizards hatched. We currenty have 330 animals. I selected a docile dwarf to serve as the core of the dump squad. I will use this dwarf to determine exactly what is so detrimental to the work ethic of these dwarves. We ran out of wood. Despite the fact that 5 months ago I ordered some trees to be felled because they are in the way of some farms I would like to establish. This is a pity because I intended for my new crossbow squad to use wooden bolts for training as to better conserve the live targets. It will make exporting goods to the elves a little easier so I guess there is a bright side. I reinstated the bedroom privileges for the one man dump squad and solved the riddle of the terrible productivity in this town:  the dump squad is more inclined to built floors than dump garbage which makes their bedrooms distracting as they're unfinished. Unfortunately this means that making the dump squad more efficient won't yield the key to make everyone else more efficient. Disbanded the dump squad as I wait for their quarters to be finished. A depressed dwarf apparently died. I don't feel anything. I caught myself considering to let the goblins enter Breadbowl and slay all of our animals and useless dwarves so that a more efficient fort may rise from the ashes. I am clearly unfit to lead this settlement any longer. I tried to clean Breadbowl but I find it is dirtier now than when I took power. More dwarfpower is diverted towards non-essential tasks like melting down goblin equipment and producing ludicrous amounts of booze to satisfy foreign interests than towards handling the egg-laying menace. 

Edit: two pictures I didn't include in the post. Children playing in the carnage and one of our many depressed dwarves
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:18:03 pm by Migrant »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 13, 2016, 03:28:01 pm »

I nicknamed him 'lazy bastard' because he refuses to mine. Even with all labors disabled and the area to mine set to priority 1. Honestly, 0.42/0.43 is so buggy that I prefer 0.40!

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 13, 2016, 09:24:29 pm »

A pity. You were doing great things for the narrative. Breadbowl, undone not by goblins, but by tripping its fat overfed face over the many hundreds of animals running amok all over the fortress and undermining FPS because the dwarves couldn't give a shit about themselves, let alone their animals.

In older succession forts, I've often had to resort to stopping all the ongoing shit from going on and diverting the entire workforce towards MY goals to get anything done at all.

If anyone is willing to do cleanup, would advise suspending ALL ongoing labors, building more butcher shops albeit if only temporarily, increasing the amount of butchers (this means mostly everyone). Heck take the military off duty and undesignate the barracks so they can help. Just leave a pair of each species for breeding if possible, though I would advise culling the not so special species so we have less to micromanage (draltha's, giant olms, anything that can't be fully domesticated and isn't a special snowflake). IF you want to further micromanage, target all the adult females for butchering first, this will prevent further surprise births down the line.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 13, 2016, 10:06:22 pm »

Perhaps butcher the smaller species first?

I can't feel your pain, Migrant. If I saw 2 FPS in a fort, I'd assume a bug and kill the process, not run it for ...25 hours. Heck, last I opened breadbowl on Ncommander's save I had 11 FPS, which I considered "nope" territory.

Even failing, you are an example to aspire to.

On Dfhacking: Has other stuff that does not affect gameplay significantly such as removing the 7k webs and removing all the falling leaves and cleaning constructions been done?

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 14, 2016, 04:04:28 am »

Well to be fair it only hit two FPS during the siege (80+ extra pathing creatures) and after the breeding explosion (and then I was just reading a book or the newspaper and waiting for them to do some of the things I ordered them to do). As for cleaning up this mess: deconstructing nest boxes is far more important than butchering every animal because they will out breed you. I had 4 active butcher's shops (whose tasks were made important with 'n') and I failed completely. I am by no means a DFHack wizard so I don't really know the best way to clean up the fort.

I'm really happy you took it so well and liked what I was trying to do even though we didn't get a single migrant which would have been a key plot point.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 14, 2016, 04:09:32 am »

So if somehow this gets adapted to a TV show or a book, how do we translate FPS?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 14, 2016, 09:08:40 am »

So if somehow this gets adapted to a TV show or a book, how do we translate FPS?

No real way to go about that without some sort of clunky time-space warping shenanigans or something.

Well, there is always audience participation to simulate that I suppose.

Suppose for a TV show, perhaps a drinking game counter? e.g. Every time FPS counter drops to single digits, a Breadbowl symbol will flash on the top right hand corner of the screen, or perhaps someone on screen takes a look at the camera, makes a discrete toast and takes a sip or something. This ought to act as a prompt for viewers to take a shot of drink themselves. A proper amount of inebriation is the only way to experience Breadbowl.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 14, 2016, 09:45:14 am »

Where's the last save this last siege?

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 14, 2016, 10:40:25 pm »

No real way to go about that without some sort of clunky time-space warping shenanigans or something.

Well, there is always audience participation to simulate that I suppose.

Suppose for a TV show, perhaps a drinking game counter? e.g. Every time FPS counter drops to single digits, a Breadbowl symbol will flash on the top right hand corner of the screen, or perhaps someone on screen takes a look at the camera, makes a discrete toast and takes a sip or something. This ought to act as a prompt for viewers to take a shot of drink themselves. A proper amount of inebriation is the only way to experience Breadbowl.
B-but I'm 15. And Muslim.
EDIT:Well, if we're going for a sci-fi route, there's always the trusty temporal anomalies from Voyager. With the goblins causing a massive spike in temporal disturbances. Great. I'm already Treknobabbling.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 11:06:59 pm by HMetal2001 »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 20, 2016, 05:58:58 am »

Journal of HMetal Spunceiling, Viscount of Breadbowl
1 Galena, 248

Oh Armok, oh Armok, oh Armok! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Where do I even begin. Torden quit after losing his temper on the 300 olms in this place. Can't say I blame him. Nobody feels like doing anything. Nearly everyone, myself included, is stressed here. And because of that, nobody is getting rid of them. With all the spare olm meat and other products, we could feed almost everyone else in the Old Nets and earn a tidy profit. Oh well, King Sibrek is handling everything well enough, considering the circumstances.

OOC:Did I kill this thread's momentum?
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 105