Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Thea: The Awakening  (Read 21342 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thea: The Awakening
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2016, 01:30:35 pm »

A new DLC was released. DLC is massive, and they spent 100,000 of their own money making it. It adds a bunch of new events, giants, a new quest chain and also an event editor to make your own events.

And all that for free :D Except still have to buy the base game.

Never see game devs these days offering massive DLCs for free lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2016, 02:19:57 pm »

A new DLC was released. DLC is massive, and they spent 100,000 of their own money making it. It adds a bunch of new events, giants, a new quest chain and also an event editor to make your own events.

O.O ...Welp, guess I gotta play again. XD
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2016, 09:09:03 pm »

O.O ...Welp, guess I gotta play again. XD

the game looks like a ton of fun (been watching a lot of videos on it), and the developers seem great. Once I get paid next month, its gonna be first thing I buy :) Was planning to this month, but I had other expenses come up. Always low on money lol...but 20 dollars isn't that much
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2019, 05:01:47 pm »

For anyone not aware, there's a sequel to this in Early Access: https://store.steampowered.com/app/606230/

It keeps most of the flavor, but is a bit more polished (and trades some problems in the first one for new problems, but the devs are still actively rebalancing things). It's by no means done, but it's playable to completion, and what there is so far is quite promising.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2019, 08:14:56 am »

I loved the first one so much that Thea 2 ended up being the first game I ever kickstarted.

I have played the early access version briefly and I think I am going to wait a bit longer. It's looking good so far but it's still pretty rough in some places.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2019, 08:21:53 am »

I looked at the screens and videos a few weeks ago, and it kinda appeared to be the exact same thing as 1, only with some systems changed (combat looked more generic).
Does it feel like a separate game in its own right, or more like an iteration of the same game (kinda like dominions).

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2019, 09:00:04 am »

For me the narrative elements were the most appealing part of the first game so in that regards I don't feel it is just iterative as it is telling a new story.

I haven't played very much of 2 yet though so I can't give a whole lot of insight in to how much the game has changed, but here's a list of planned differences from their kickstarter page (old 2017 list, so I'm not sure what is currently in the game outside the multiple settlements and new combat mechanics).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2019, 04:45:19 pm »

The difference is more like e.g. successive Civ games than Dominions. It's got the same basic structure and look & feel, but it's pretty significantly changed.

Combat is more involved, and it's a bit harder to cheese.

[Steam claims I have 80-ish hours on the sequel ATM, which sounds unreasonable but probably isn't, owing to insomnia over the holidays]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:48:13 pm by E. Albright »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2019, 07:32:25 pm »

Actually, I suppose I could have been a bit more verbose. The more I think about it, the more it seems like look & feel plus some resource names and the background are the main things kept, while most of the system is new.

Really, I kinda wanna say it's an almost-completely-different game set in the same world whose UI and mechanics are eerily familiar if you played Thea 1. Not a different style of game, or a game whose play-loop is radically differently, but still a different game. When EA started, the mechanics were a confusing, opaque mess (though the tutorials covered the basic loop well enough) but tooltips for almost everything should make the learning curve a lot more reasonable now.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2019, 02:14:54 pm »

How's the content shaping up? The reviews on Steam complain about it being barebones, and hence repetitive (same events over and over). But those are all a bit dated.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2019, 03:08:58 pm »

Well, there's seasons now (36 turns with one overarching effect, impact on resource harvesting and usage, and 5 of the various weathers to chose from per season). And there's research, so you can hide in your village and grind even more. Balance has improved a lot (witches are still a bit OP, but they're no longer "lol faceroll", and  no longer trivial to stockpile). There's a lot more events, but it seems like the different islands having different biomes, and different biomes having different events does e.g make village events a bit repetitive since you're gonna run through the same set over and over and over.

It IS a bit grindy, but I'm also risk-averse so I tend to play cautiously, which doesn't help (see every game of Dominions we ever played together). The highest-tier mats being crafted and taking large amounts of lower-tier mats (e.g. 70 T1 wood->1 T4 crystal wood, 70 T2 elven/dark/dryad wood->7 crystal wood, 70 T3 ancient wood->11 crystal wood) does add to the grind, as does the lack of a pressing sense of urgency. You can sit back and take 800 turns to get anything done if you can stand the tedium.

Overall, I'd say it's steadily improving, but there's a ways to go yet.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2019, 09:25:54 pm »

This one will also support modding, which may help in the longer run. There's already an event editor/creator tool in there, but no way to share mod packages yet.

There's a good number of different events in there currently, but as Albright says you're going to encounter a decent number of repeats - especially on the 'starter island' village.

On the discord for the game some are complaining that it's too easy to rush, but since I play more slowly like Albright I haven't encountered that. Tougher challenges are more based on the landmass you're on than the time that's lapsed, making it less punishing to take it slow than the first game.

One new thing that they didn't mention was a faction system. All the major village-groups get one, but so do other less clear groups like subgroups of demons and even the insects. There's an element of faction grind in there, particularly for the main village-groups, but there are also some interesting surprises in there when dealing with non-humans. It's easy to tell what a dumb option is when dealing with humans, but that may be less true when dealing with other cultures/species.

On the whole I quite like it, but I also quite liked the first one so I may not be the best messenger.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2019, 06:44:36 am »

I tried playing it a few times, but I could never get the hang of equipment vs item weight vs character weight limits. I understand that I'm looking at it wrong: I look at it like I would a party RPG, where you're supposed to put something in every slot as soon as you can (limited by what you find or can afford to buy), whereas here the weight limit is supposed to function as a means of specializing characters. But it feels like artificial difficulty: even characters with the highest strength can maybe only carry a weapon (or weapon/shield) and armor and one or maybe two trinkets, and don't have the weight-space for anything more - even something as small as a ring or amulet, which you'd think would have no bulk or weight.

Are there any mods to remove the weight limits? Either by increasing the allowed weight per point of strength, or reducing or eliminating the weight of equipment. I understand this could make the game cheesily easy, or increase the grind further (having to spend time gathering resources in order to produce the "top tier" stuff you want your people to use).

(This is for Thea 1, as I see now the conversation moved to Thea 2.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:47:49 am by Niveras »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2019, 07:07:49 am »

Warriors and hunters usually have something in every slot - bows and all - by the time you're doing endgame stuff. For Thea 1, you're gonna need to get better-quality materials if you want to fully equip people who aren't hulking brutes with huge strengths- e.g. a crappy wood-and-bone suit of heavy armor (16 armor/2 sheilding) weighs 320 but a better suit of dryad wood and ruby (19 armor/8 shielding) weighs 86. Pure mithral armor is 37 armor/9 sheilding/8 perception for 182 weight, by way of endgame comparison. Generally, stone and bone are heavier, and metal and gems are lighter, with wood being more varied (some is light, some is heavy) and reed-type wood being light.

Honestly, I don't remember this being much of a problem in Thea 1 - Thea 2 is far less forgiving WRT weight, but for Thea 1 only my puny witches and wise men ever gave me a lot of trouble having enough strength to equip stuff.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:14:28 am by E. Albright »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2019, 07:40:28 am »

Yeah, the lighter stuff made filling up your kit pretty easy. Iirc there's a light trinket combination or two that adds strength, too, whch makes it even easier.

... so far as cheesing things to get access, well... cheat engine easily finds inventory values and the research bonus miiiight just be all you need for it to do its thing. Just throwin' that out there :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9