Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 164

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 198420 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #390 on: November 26, 2015, 11:28:53 am »

It's very hilarious to see world inching closer to WW3 because of Turkey, indeed.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 26, 2015, 11:32:49 am »

Montreux convention is shitty but I hope Turkey will find a way to close the straights to Russian ships. It will be hilarious.

The only methods that I can think of would also block civillian ships, unless Turkey directly confronted the Russian ships with their own.

It's very hilarious to see world inching closer to WW3 because of Turkey, indeed.

How would that be hilarious? Besides the fact that we all assumed since the Cold War days that WWIII would be between Russia and US.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 26, 2015, 11:44:09 am »

Well, if you consider Turkey to be at war in Syria, the Montreux convention gives it the right to block the passage of warships throught he straits. Turkey also has that right if it thinks it is "in imminent danger of war".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 26, 2015, 11:49:15 am »

Well, if you consider Turkey to be at war in Syria, the Montreux convention gives it the right to block the passage of warships throught he straits. Turkey also has that right if it thinks it is "in imminent danger of war".

Given that (at the moment) there isn't really a causus belli other than the diplomatic insult type, so, if a WWIII does break out, I'm not sure what the end goal would be other than beat the crap out of each other until one side cries uncle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #394 on: November 26, 2015, 12:00:10 pm »

How would that be hilarious? Besides the fact that we all assumed since the Cold War days that WWIII would be between Russia and US.
How would that not be hilarious? It'd almost be like Belgium starting all wars in human history

*EDIT
Saddest allahu akbar I have ever heard in my life, FSA man recording his peeps' hilltop entrenchments getting bombed by Russians
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:20:29 pm by Loud Whispers »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 26, 2015, 12:18:19 pm »

Trying to construct an unlimited freedom of speech has a tendency to lead to losing said freedom of speech. Hitler was elected because he was popular, and he was popular because of his speeches.

For a more modern example, see Trump and his campaign. He will almost certainly win primary (he's been holding the lead for almost the entire time since he started his campaign), and, if his supporters will intimidate enough people on the side of Democrats into not voting by threats of physical violence (and they're known for regularly beating up people, usually minorities, on pro-Trump rallies), he may very well win the title of President of USA, and turn it into fascist-land.

Protect freedom of speech by restricting it? That's one of those slippery slopes I don't care to be on. The American system where only very limited classes of speech can be restricted, and then only in the least burdening way possible, is ideal.

Aha, thats why snowden/Julian Assange run away after talking about the illegal things USA was doing.

Ehh, cant post funny  image to big

In general, you can consider that either as a failure of the system or as conduct that doesn't fall under the protected conduct of a whistle-blower.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #396 on: November 26, 2015, 12:28:36 pm »

Russia considering switching imports it needs from Turkey to Israel, the choice of nation no doubt being a deliberate insult to Turkey

Spoiler: it's time (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 26, 2015, 04:15:36 pm »

The S-400 anti-aircraft missile system have arrived at the Hmeimim airbase
For use against who?  Daesh don't have aircraft, SFAIK; I'm not sure anybody local other than the Syrian regime and 'fellow' international forces against terrorism have aircraft.  And shooting down a Turkish aircraft (across/on the border) isn't going to help, and the possibility of the warheads with 120-400km range 'doing an MH17' is going to cause tension.  Never mind if something like that happens.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 26, 2015, 04:35:57 pm »

The S-400 anti-aircraft missile system have arrived at the Hmeimim airbase
For use against who?  Daesh don't have aircraft, SFAIK; I'm not sure anybody local other than the Syrian regime and 'fellow' international forces against terrorism have aircraft.  And shooting down a Turkish aircraft (across/on the border) isn't going to help, and the possibility of the warheads with 120-400km range 'doing an MH17' is going to cause tension.  Never mind if something like that happens.

Haven't you read the last several pages? :P It's because Turkey shot down a Russian jet and now the Russians are putting that there because they're threatening (and actually have a right to) to shoot down any Turkish aircraft that does do that.

Of course though, both sides ramping up the rhetoric and not backing down isn't helping.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 26, 2015, 04:46:48 pm »

Apparently France and Russia just had a meeting where they agreed to coordinate their strikes against Daesh and "not target  factions fighting Daesh".

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 26, 2015, 04:54:56 pm »

Apparently France and Russia just had a meeting where they agreed to coordinate their strikes against Daesh and "not target  factions fighting Daesh".

We'll see if Russia actually follows through on that.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #401 on: November 26, 2015, 05:01:16 pm »

Erdogan: "if you accuse someone of buying oil from terrorist you should provide proof lest you prove to be a dirty slanderer. Also, Assad is totes buying his own oil from Daesh because I said so."

I'd like some of what that guy is smoking. My ego would trip harder than if I'd sunk myself into a tank of pure liquid LSD.

Russia considering switching imports it needs from Turkey to Israel, the choice of nation no doubt being a deliberate insult to Turkey

Spoiler: it's time (click to show/hide)
Yes, this is some hilarious news. Also, that picture. Where is Russia image from, seem familiar? Also also, lol Serbia borders clearly drawn by anti-Serb elements, There is some rightful Serb clay left, right and bottom still unclaimed. Also 3, Lichtenstein being of no significance makes me hurt.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 26, 2015, 05:09:58 pm »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34940109

Look further down in the article where it says: "Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has rejected calls by Russia to apologise, saying Turkey does not need to say sorry for the violation of its airspace.

However, he told France 24 television: "If we had known it was a Russian plane, maybe we would have warned it differently"."

Total and utter BS. While the US might do that if we didn't know whose plane it was and it was a threat rather than just passing through a tiny sliver of territory (actually, we'd probably fire off a warning shot in any case), I ask you guys in Europe and Russia, would your militaries have shot down an unknown jet which was just passing through a tiny sliver of airspace? I realize there are some situations where one could definetly have shot it down if they didn't know whose plane it was, but those usually involve a clear threat.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 26, 2015, 05:12:21 pm »

New theory: they though it was Syrian and warned it in arabic. :p

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 26, 2015, 05:14:52 pm »

New theory: they though it was Syrian and warned it in arabic. :p

Well, they did release audio of the warning that they gave and while I don't know if it was spoken in english, the captions does say it was in a foriegn language, but I don't know what language.

Edit: It was in english I guess: http://www.ibtimes.com/listen-turkey-audio-alleged-warning-russian-jet-it-was-shot-down-over-syrian-border-2200357

Anybody here a current or former Air Force pilot or at least knows something about the frequencies they use? While I know the different air forces would have their own frequencies, wouldn't there be some universial frequency that is used when one air force wants to talk to the other? Like when China tells US planes to bug off from the artificial islands for example.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:25:42 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 164