Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 165

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 198542 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1410 on: February 23, 2017, 07:53:02 pm »

Sergarr, please comment. Is your state TV really that crazy?

E: It's not exactly recent, but I reckon that wasn't exactly an isolated incident...
I don't know, I haven't really watched Russian TV for like 3+ years, other than, when out of Internet, news broadcasts and Olympics.

From description, it sounds like a typical REN-TV weekend ultra patriotic conspiracy nonsense (that was placed in the time slot near some program about alien activities) that they've been peddling for a decade without stopping - I've mostly seen the "smart Russian secret weapons will disable all NATO communications, neutralize stealth and easily eliminate NATO soldiers en masse because NATO are stupid and can't possibly adapt to Russian smartness, NATO won its wars only because it bribed all its opponent's generals and scientists, but the patriotic Russians will never accept bribes from NATO so we're unbeatable" variety (back when I was unenlightened and believed it), but I reckon there were many, many others.

I guess they've expanded into more popular channels nowadays, going along with the rise of poverty and nationalist attitudes. Opium for the people.
._.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: February 24, 2017, 12:50:24 pm »

So, uh, Russian consul dead in Athens, or something?

How many deaths of senior(?) Russian officials in foreign relations capacities in the last few months is that now?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: February 24, 2017, 01:02:17 pm »

So, uh, Russian consul dead in Athens, or something?

How many deaths of senior(?) Russian officials in foreign relations capacities in the last few months is that now?

Three? I think someone had said six, but the only ones I know of are the one assassinated in Turkey and the ambassador for the UN that died of a heart attack.

edit: That was nearly a month ago, first link about it I could find is this: https://www.mintpressnews.com/media-silent-4-top-russian-diplomats-die-mysteriously-last-60-days/225221/

It is an odd string of coincidences for four Russian ambassadors to die within a month or two.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:09:42 pm by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: February 24, 2017, 01:11:59 pm »

Given that all of the figures involved are fervent pro-Putinists, I think it could be CIA taking revenge for the Russian interference in USA elections.

Or it could be just one big coincidence.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: February 24, 2017, 01:20:01 pm »

They'd just get replaced by other pro-Putinists, but I guess it'd weaken Russia generally since it's a loss of the experience.

There's no evidence to show that it's a massive coincidence, and if anybody knows anything, they certainly aren't telling.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: February 24, 2017, 06:05:35 pm »

They'd just get replaced by other pro-Putinists, but I guess it'd weaken Russia generally since it's a loss of the experience.

There's no evidence to show that it's a massive coincidence, and if anybody knows anything, they certainly aren't telling.
No evidence that it( i)s a massive co-inky-dink, or no evidence that it isn't?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: February 24, 2017, 06:11:18 pm »

There's no evidence AFAIK to either prove or disprove it in either direction.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: February 24, 2017, 06:16:14 pm »

It just looked like you'd misre-edited an inverted phrase (no evidence it isn't a coincidence/no evidence it is not a coincidence/etc).

Anyway, just looked odd.

(For now, though, I'm personally trusting in Occam.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: February 26, 2017, 12:41:50 pm »

Russian Inquisition incoming (in a decade or two)? It's also certainly a 180 from the Soviet days.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: February 26, 2017, 01:30:32 pm »

Russian Inquisition incoming (in a decade or two)? It's also certainly a 180 from the Soviet days.
If "walking in Church during prayer while clearly disrespecting it" is "inquisition", then I support said inquisition wholeheartedly. That Bushmakov's guy self-defence is absolute bullshit, he clearly knew that his actions were an insult towards Christians, he doesn't get to pull "oh but there's no clear definition, how can anyone possibly know". Churches are private places, and people go there for a certain spiritual kind of environment, environment that this smartphone-wielder has decided to ruin specifically after he was already told that doing so is against the law.

And it's not just limited to Orthodox faith, either - IIRC people have actually been arrested for badmouthing Muslims/ethnicities before. It's unfortunate that atheists don't currently get the same protections, but I don't worry too much, what with the recent grassroots revival of communism-themed institutions and ideals. Communism and atheism are not really separable.
._.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: February 26, 2017, 01:54:28 pm »

PREEDIT: Thing is, if you look at the beginning, there's one example where the law's enforced in an oppressive way. They opposed the construction of a church on a greenspace, QED they were offending the religious.
If you were reading it right, you might have noticed that it wasn't actually enforced in that particular case, they were raided by police, and they weren't even physically injured or anything.

And they were raided because they were obstructing the Big Church Building Plan, and in Russia, it's like trying to stop a car by standing in front of it. You can do that and maybe even succeed as they did, but don't expect to not get hurt while doing so.
._.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: February 28, 2017, 02:14:18 am »

Russia will have food stamps, and not just "some day in the future", but this very year. Some strict limitations on what you can buy with them: no alcohol, cigarettes, or any foreign-made food. Also, money on the "food cards" (as they're called) doesn't accumulate over time - use it or lose it.

I see that the Americanization of Russian government continues to progress at a rapid pace. First the crazy Christian fundies, then the Trump support, and now they're bringing food stamps in here, too? If this continues, we'll lose our highly valued status of quasi-European nation!
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 28, 2017, 02:56:05 am »

Seems logical given that the Russian sanctions on food import are still in place, decent way to minimize their impact on poorer citizens while continuing boosting domestic producers.

Can you buy bath oil with them?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: February 28, 2017, 06:14:14 am »

Bath oil? Oh you soft southerners. Up in the rugged north they still practice the manly art of cleaning by homo-erotically whipping each other with cypress branches in the sauna.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 165