Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy - 1782 Espionage Phase  (Read 24339 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy - 1782 Revision Phase
« Reply #255 on: December 04, 2015, 05:48:55 pm »

I suppose we already have something approaching carabiners, but we don't have lancers, and those and units like them are coming back into fashion around this time.

Revise standard cavalry equipment. Add lance, gauntlets, a helmet and a cuirass. Test armor should be able to resists sabers, exploded air pistols and far away Victoria I shots.  Also, try to improve saddles, horseshoes and other equine equipment to make it more fitting for a heavier rider

+1.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 04, 2015, 06:26:42 pm »

Revise standard cavalry equipment. Add lance, gauntlets, a helmet and a cuirass. Test armor should be able to resists sabers, exploded air pistols and far away Victoria I shots.  Also, try to improve saddles, horseshoes and other equine equipment to make it more fitting for a heavier rider

+1.
vote changed, snipped.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:19:48 am by Playergamer »
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 05, 2015, 10:22:58 am »

I agree that we need to boost our cavalry, but I don't think that's the best way. The Ft. Combe people showed that for some reasons, rifle-sized weapons aren't effective for cavalry. We need a shorter weapon.

A carbine would be nice, but I think we could do better. A pistol that can only shoot a single burst of fully automatic fire is useless for infantry . But for cavalry? Yes please. Imagine a line of cavalry, trotting toward an infantry line. At thirty meters, they each empty their pistol into the enemy formation, before drawing their swords and charging in. What infantry could withstand that kind of withering fire and shock?

So I say we revise the pistol.

Whateley Cavalry Pistol MkII:

An upgraded version of the Whateley pistol, it uses the energy of the compressed air to move the wheel and bring new bullets into the barrel rather than the more complicated spring system. The new weapon is sturdier, cheaper to manufacture, and doesn't shoot people that aren't in front of the barrel.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 05, 2015, 10:58:13 am »

We still have the current pistol that will become much more usable if cavalry will have an adequate protection. +all benefits of heavy cavalry that can do wonderful things with enemy

Strategy to replace mediocre weapon with ok weapons, ok weapons with good, good with great is flawed. It can be stolen, it can be countered by other design. It can get poor rolls and be no better than previous weapon in this role.

I prefer every design and revision action to fill different roles, because we have many. Cavalry armor or camo suits or militarising a gunboat will give us something whatever rolls will be.  Fixing the pistol gives us no new tech, may fail completely  and obsoletes one of our current designs
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 05, 2015, 11:03:35 am »

Our current design might as well be useless, what with its tendency to shoot at anyone but the person it's aimed at. We don't have a cavalry weapon, so we ARE filling a different role.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 05, 2015, 11:20:26 am »

An upgraded version of the Whateley pistol, it uses the energy of the compressed air to move the wheel and bring new bullets into the barrel rather than the more complicated spring system. The new weapon is sturdier, cheaper to manufacture, and doesn't shoot people that aren't in front of the barrel.
+1. I know I'm being a bit flip-floppy with my votes, but, eh. I don't have a lot of time to devote to this game currently, sadly, so I'm kinda just +1ing whatever looks best.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 05, 2015, 11:32:38 am »

Armor can mitigate this effect a bit making it a little bit more usable but to be honest I prefer our cavalry to just lance enemy infantry and I am fine to stay without cavalry ranged weapon for a while.

BTW, we should use focus  phase on attacking monarchy through the former lands of fort combe and squashing fort alton. And I believe that heavy artillery is what we need here. 
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 05, 2015, 11:38:26 am »

I wouldn't mind stealing the Atterton howitzer for heavier artillery. I still think a working handgun is a better use of the revision. I mean, are you seriously expecting our troops to just armor up and then shoot all over the place, hoping their armour protect them?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 05, 2015, 11:55:01 am »

Alright, I'm seeing some support for Dragoon armour and improved horse equipment,  is that what you guys want or do you need more discussion?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 05, 2015, 12:01:44 pm »

Code: (Vote) [Select]
Whateley Pisto MkII: Sheb, PlayerGamer
Dragoon armor and equipment: Ukrainian Ranger, Baffler
Victoria Carbine:

Code: (Flag Vote) [Select]
Glory Merited: Sheb, PlayerGamer
Ergo Futura Victoria: Baffler,Funk

Nah, we seems pretty split.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 05, 2015, 12:15:28 pm »

to move it forward I switch my vote to Whateley Pisto MkII

After all I love funny ahistorical weapons even if I consider them suboptimal strategy-wise

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 05, 2015, 03:21:28 pm »

Ill vote Whatley Mk2
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 05, 2015, 03:54:52 pm »

Code: (Vote) [Select]
Whateley Pisto MkII: Sheb, PlayerGamer, Ukrainian Ranger, Elfeater, Baffler
Dragoon armor and equipment:
Victoria Carbine:

Code: (Flag Vote) [Select]
Glory Merited: Sheb, PlayerGamer
Ergo Futura Victoria: Baffler,Funk

We seem to be pretty much decided then. Still tied on the flags though.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 05, 2015, 04:00:24 pm »

I support a revised Whately, but, erhm, that proposal seems a bit off. The problem is that the wheel is spitting the ammunition all over, simplifying but keeping the wheel as-is seems to be the opposite of a good thing. Simplicity has many very fine qualities, but is not always the best option.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 05, 2015, 06:25:43 pm »

Using the compressed air for chambering makes the pistols cheaper to produce, however you now get less shots per tank. The housing has also been reworked to prevent shots from going in any direction other than out of the barrel. Once the trigger is pulled the pistol will still keep firing until it runs out of air or ammo however. (Expensive)

Whateley Cavalry Pistol MkI obsoleted

Decent roll there. Begin espionage phase.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23