Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 293294 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1110 on: April 06, 2021, 06:59:31 am »

Has anybody managed to beat the Sun MonasteryFrozen Horror on Hard with the Demonologist? Forget about 5*, I just spent the last few hours trying to pass it at all. Imps are a really lousy source of damage on that stage, since one of the potential targets is always invulnerable.

Edit: I... evidently spent a few hours trying to beat Frozen Horror with the Demonologist on Hard, not the Sun Monastery. Which is doubly galling, since I already have a 5* Frozen Horror.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 04:00:24 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: April 06, 2021, 12:30:38 pm »

Oooo, Circadian Dice update!

https://shuffleup.itch.io/circadian-dice/devlog/237900/version-20-big-content-update

That's great.
Quickly gave a try and i may be in the minority but i find the new artwork design in the game main menu worse, poor necromancer has been apparently stuck for too long between crushing walls and the timebender has a very bizarro pose on the ground.
The coloring is improved though in the new picture.

Spoiler: new artwork (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: old artwork (click to show/hide)

Anyways, i wonder how those new guys, the demonologist and the monk are playing , and this day/night cycle seems is going to make things more complicated

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: April 06, 2021, 12:56:05 pm »

Oooo, Circadian Dice update!

https://shuffleup.itch.io/circadian-dice/devlog/237900/version-20-big-content-update

That's great.
Quickly gave a try and i may be in the minority but i find the new artwork design in the game main menu worse, poor necromancer has been apparently stuck for too long between crushing walls and the timebender has a very bizarro pose on the ground.
The coloring is improved though in the new picture.

Spoiler: new artwork (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: old artwork (click to show/hide)

Anyways, i wonder how those new guys, the demonologist and the monk are playing , and this day/night cycle seems is going to make things more complicated

Yeah, the rest of the artwork is great, but the main menu artwork is...that. The elementalist and maybe the cleric look better than before, but only because it wasn't great before.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 06, 2021, 01:03:32 pm »

Looks like the bomb item has been nerfed hard, it does not add 1 attack to a random dice every time you open a chest, it adds instead 1 attack multiplier after opening a chest... only for 1 turn.

I'll regret that old bomb+chestplate combo, was so amazing while it lasted :)

edit : the demon form ability can be really amazing for the demonologist when you're at the boss stage and wonder if you have enough life to make it, that +1 damage multiplier can help a lot (as you can't heal while in demon form, so you're going all in).
But having some very lucky roll can help even more :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:28:54 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 07, 2021, 04:28:38 am »

Oh, nice new feature in Circadian Dice.

It was good i was still taking the bomb item with me, because i ran into a "legendary chest" instead of the normal ones (and i didn't had enough attack to destroy it otherwise before the turn end) and Detonate helped.
It gave me an artifact dice that was very very usefull in that Noxius Marsh run
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Too bad you can't keep it once the mission is cleared.

Getting this so early allowed my demonologist to clear this mission i had lost several time already as i wasn't taking so much of those diseases anymore from early monsters (due to having a lot more firepower than usual i could kill them before they could attack).

Clearing this one got me the 2 stars i was missing to unlock this character 15 stars item

Overall the game has a lot of "new cool stuff" , reworked abilities and new game mechanics that allow for more variation in game but in the same time it feels much harder due to some of the previously amazing items combo i was often counting on for the harder levels having been more or less nerfed.
Harder also for most classes because there are no good starting healing method like the Barbarian or the Cleric ones (in lesser amount) , so if you're not lucky with getting some good +health choices in between turns or having the shop roll some big +health dice, you're in a world of pain in some levels.

I have not figured out yet some good synergy between new items yet, at least not one replacing the cool bomb/chestplate combo of past version.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 07, 2021, 05:39:14 am »

Demonologist Scroll+Timetwister Orb+that item that gives +1creature damage is pretty nifty. Then you just shove as many red gems/blockers on your die faces and reroll until you win.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 07, 2021, 07:16:45 am »

Demonologist Scroll+Timetwister Orb+that item that gives +1creature damage is pretty nifty. Then you just shove as many red gems/blockers on your die faces and reroll until you win.
Is that the 20 stars item i have not yet unlocked ? :D

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 07, 2021, 07:26:29 am »

Is that the 20 stars item i have not yet unlocked ? :D

Yep. I don't remember what its passive effect is, but the more important thing is that it gives you the Imp Assistant skill that replaces a capture with an imp.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 07, 2021, 06:19:15 pm »

Overall the game has a lot of "new cool stuff" , reworked abilities and new game mechanics that allow for more variation in game but in the same time it feels much harder due to some of the previously amazing items combo i was often counting on for the harder levels having been more or less nerfed.
Harder also for most classes because there are no good starting healing method like the Barbarian or the Cleric ones (in lesser amount) , so if you're not lucky with getting some good +health choices in between turns or having the shop roll some big +health dice, you're in a world of pain in some levels.

I have not figured out yet some good synergy between new items yet, at least not one replacing the cool bomb/chestplate combo of past version.

Agreed on the lack of healing thing.

Demonologist would probably be good with Trapper's Mantle (early item with +20 to catch, and traps are replaced with claws when successful), Soothing Collar (start with a trap on 2nd and 4th die which wouldn't change anything, and also +1 to attack for captured creatures), and summoning scythe (fangs with creatures are piercing, and start with undead army special ability). Preacher's pamphlet (gain 2 health and 1 gold at the end of a wave if you have captured creatures in every slot) might get some use as well.

Monk probably wants Onk's Fist for some healing and extra damage. Adventurer's Kit or Witch's knife possibly? Heart Pendant? Flux Dampener? None of the healing items feel impressive, but not dying is a pretty nice perk. Maybe Timerider's Orb to take better advantage of night/day?

I just beat the first scenario with Monk a second time (out of 5-6 tries), taking only score, and still only got 493 points. Still don't have my 5 stars. Onk's Fist is also nice if you need the 2 damage to get through the boss' shield.

Edit: Got stomped in the second scenario. Before rolling, I bough a die face with a trap for my second die, which I never rolled (made it to the boss, then lost from fear). I was only able to beat the lifestealing bats with my 2-damage special, and burned that out. Never made enough money to upgrade anything, but I had 2 faces with 2 damage (windrider bow for 2 pierce and Onk's Fist for 2 damage, stun, and lifesteal) and only rolled one once. Not a great character, but amazingly bad luck doesn't help.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 06:27:33 pm by Iduno »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 07, 2021, 11:57:39 pm »

I did my 20* and 10*HM stars on Monk with Onk's Fist and Witch's Knife (and Dream Saver, but turns out I didn't even need it for normal Necromancer's Tower). Healing was kept up by spamming Yin/Yang whenever appropriate and taking advantage of stuns.

I'm still working on 10*HM Demonologist, but my 20* was done with Soothing Collar, Timetwister Orb, Summoning Scythe. (With Summoning Scythe later replaced by Demonifesto, the 20* that I called the Demonologist Scroll before). Reroll faces and red gems are what you want; a capture face is good to have on-hand that you can pump via Specimen Hunt to take out bosses with is handy.

I wish it kept track of what relics you had equipped for your high scores.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: April 08, 2021, 02:34:58 am »

It seems the ring of fellowship + soothing collar can be helpfull in several cases for the demonologist, that imp dealing 2 damages instead of 1 everytime you roll red or wild gem on his dice. Now the other important thing is to make enough money fast so you can buy and fill more red/wild gem in the imp dice row.

Managed to beat the frozen horror level with the demonologist with
soothing collar (for the nice +1 attack on captured ennemies) + ring of fellowship (that starting imp is awesome, though you need some luck for rolling red gems) + trapper mantle (this nice additional fang for an used trap) + bottomless pouch (the +1 gold by waves may or may not have helped to fast buy more red gem)

The good bonus to capture from both the collar and the mantle helped a lot, as i captured an archdemon before the bosses waves , and with the Pet ability i had spared (and got more charges in one of the end wave bonus choice) , that captured guy killed 2 of the 3 bosses in the same turn :)
I was worrying things would not die fast enough for me to complete the mission before the bigger boss woke up but it worked out nicely as i had some luck with the +health bonus between waves coming when i needed for once (usually it only come when i don't need it and never come when my character is badly hurt :D )

This victory managed to get me the last 2 stars i needed to unlock the demonoligst "demonifasto" for more of those usefull imps :D

The moonwood new mission seems to be very hard, as there are enemies you can't kill (even accidentally) (until they are transformed at night) as it will hurt your end score badly (-100 points each), very bad situation for the imps that target random enemies on screen when triggered. Managed to win this level but  ended score at -7 (i had a villager captured to boost the score but so many died to my imp) so it's not even recorded in my score (as the best current one is 0 :D )

The boss for the sun monastery level is insane, the thing has ethereal 3 (so it does not take damage the 3 first time you attack it) and attack 9 each turn ! (and of course he's not alone so there's more damage going to you by turn) , and he's not capturable too.
Hope you have some multi-damaging attacks to get rid of his minions and hit him 3 times to make him actually vulnerable to damage. Hard to get multiple imps and enough red gems without dying first.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 03:17:37 am by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: April 08, 2021, 03:28:18 am »

The Ring of Fellowship is kind of weak once you can roll with the DemoniFesto; you get a lot more punch out of a trinket slot by taking the Soothing Collar, capturing something, and using the DF to imp the slot.

Moonwood HM... I actually only have completion on Demonologist, because I'm aiming for whatever the 2nd row/last column trinket is that requires beating all 12 HM stages. 191 points! *flex*

I actually just did 5* Sun Monastery HM between your last two edits with Demonifesto/Soothing Collar/Moonstone Essence(!?). What really saved me was getting +4 Pet as a reward halfway down the line. Save your Capture/Pet/Imp Assistants for the Rift Stalkers-- not only does it block damage, but it also blocks their damage effects (Frozen, nnnng!). I went into the boss with 5 turns of invincibility available, plus there's an RS (two?) available to capture.

Edit: 12 HM stage trinket is... awkward. Not sure I'd ever use it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: April 08, 2021, 04:07:15 am »

Oh you're beating them in hard mode ?
Wow, i only managed to beat 6 hard modes levels and that was on the previous version , the 2 remaining (well to unlock further HM levels) hard mode version of noxious marsh and ancient tombs are just destroying me everytime :D

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1123 on: April 08, 2021, 08:27:24 am »

Feel like this game deserves its own thread at this point.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: April 08, 2021, 08:43:49 am »

Yeah, I'm mostly kicking about in HM since I already have most (but not all) of my normal mode unlocks... 190* and 99*HM

I have 2* and 4* Noxious Marsh HM on Ninja and Barbarian, but those are pre-update, and 5* Ancient Tomb HM with Barbarian, also pre-update.

Lemmie see what I can do post-update... maybe give some ideas for relic combos.

-----

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:12:24 am by Aoi »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 167