Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space  (Read 37069 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2016, 08:58:50 pm »

Ship Crew
Evaluate the Minibar Installation ship improvement project idly as I stand by in case of trouble.
With the away team gone you turn your attention to a project so important, so dire that the very continuation of this ship's well being relies on its future existence ... A minibar! You spend a few minutes measuring the space near to the fridge for a second fridge along with taking shelf measurements for the kitchen counter shelves so you can have some wine or liquor bottle racks made.

Minibar Installation added.

Busy exploring the many options the console in front of her offered, Amelia noticed that there was a monitoring system in place, with access to the internal visuals of the ship! She allegorically connected this to a camera system, and was happy it was working when she saw Dio checking the ship's fridge...and wondering why he was placing a beverage can comfily in the engine/reactor room.

Until it figuratively hit her.

As Dio got back to the helm, Amelia's mind was ablaze with ideas on how to nudge this...particular opportunity.

...which may tell me either Dio is joking around and bringing up morale, or trying to, subtly, knowing that I may be watching, or that he isn't familiar with the brand name...which would connect to his comment earlier and my guess, but I'd be really surprised that any professional or sub-professional pilot isn't familiar with Rocket Boost. 'The (cheap yet affordable) hydrator of all pilots.' Oh goodness I can hear it in the advertisement voice...

"Hey Dio, why don't you test that can you found in the engine system? Y'know, in the fluid supplement area. Maybe it can help."

Actually that is a possible idea. I did read about several potable beverages having other effects in certain situations, like the ancient "Coke" being used as a pesticide and cleaner. Hmm, though we did bust that myth back at the academy, I'm unsure what kind of subsystems a salvaging ship would use given the very different mechanisms between a transport and-...

Try to recall the benefits of Rocket Boost, as well as other common beverages and drinks I am aware of in non-conventional applications.

Check the ship and ponder what we can efficiently recycle stuff into at the current time. How does our salvage system work again?

As you try to convince Dio that Rocket Boost is actually a sort of drink meant for people you start to recall some of the common drinks of people in this part of space. There's Rocket Boost though that's a fairly common energy drink throughout the galaxy due to the corp behind it mass producing the things like there is no tomorrow, but to be honest most spacers either drink water or liquor. Working in space is hard work, and when its time to kick back there's little better than alcohol to drown the sorrows that come with being a low class citizen.

You check into the ship and its recycling system, but everything seems in order and there doesn't appear to be much you can do with such a broad scope, and your current technical prowess.

After sighing you turn your attention to prepping the salvage system which is really just a collection of mechanical arms and industrial sized plasma torches used to take ships apart in chunks before storing it in a cargo bay, or onto a freighter. It's a pretty efficient system for the cost, but without a dedicated cargo hauler the amount your ship can actually move at once is kind of pathetic ...

"Hmm, rocket boost? This should be useful if we need to maneuver. I wonder why it is in the fridge though."
Dio takes the Rocket Boost can out if the fridge and set it near the engine/reactor room.

Then he sets his mind to work out potential upgrades to the ship. He looks up the ship's navigation code and sees if any improvements could be made.
Evaluate the 'Navigational Logistics Improvement' project.

If asked by Amelia, help her with the other computer.
After a short bout of focus on this strange canned liquid people call Rocket Boost you return to the bridge, and grab a console to look over the ship's navigational code. The sight of the well formatted code comes up you feel a sense of nostalgia as the few years you spent on the Beta Pictoris vessel return to you, while the AIs had still persisted they had treated you well enough for the science experiment you were to them. You remember the feeling of sadness you had when the last of your overseers' primary core finally brokedown, after that you were alone with only the knowledge he'd imparted upon you and a broken down ship to work with.

With the code in front of you and Amelia's notes about system corrections you quickly set to work laying out a framework for the coding adjustments which proves easier than you thought it would as you find out that some of the more complex programming requirements for it had already been done. It's likely that the original programmer for this system had meant to add these adjustments, but had run out of time.

Away Team
TK takes a low stance, pistol up but finger off the trigger, and starts methodically opening the doors and clearing the rooms on the left.
You hold the gun that Amelia gave you out in front as you begin to sweep the hallway, and prepare to clear the rooms ahead on at a time. Reaching the first door you peek around the corner into what you can only describe as a ridiculously intact medbay, despite all the damage to the rest of the ship the only thing wrong with this room is that half the medical tools are just floating around the place. With the first room clear you progress further down the hall to find that the next three doors are shut tight, and without any power to this area you'd need at least three people with crowbars to even pry them open ... and Macnameer didn't see fit to provide you with the damn things ...

Shaking your head you head to the last open door and carefully start to peek around it as Neil heads past you, and goes down the right hallway. Returning your attention back to the room in question you discover that its empty except for a pair of bunk beds with the sheets starting to drift off to the side.

Following TK's lead, Neil unholsters his gun and works his way right, towards the armoury, as direct as possible.
While TK is clearing the rooms in this hall you draw your shotgun and head down the hallway aiming to take the passage to the right to make sure that the armory is in order before they start cutting the thing out of the ship. You gently nudge the Customs Officers bodies out of your way as you head down the hall and give the intersection a quick sweep before hastily heading down the right side which quickly opens up to a square room leading up to a fairly solid vault door. To one side of the room you see a dead officer floating next to a red button with the text 'Emergency Environment Seal' written over it.

"It's better suited if I try to salvage anything delicate and electronic, er, anything fragile. You can rummage through the dead's pockets. Guns, IDs, money, anything. Even undamaged uniforms would be helpful, could be useful. For now, we can store it all back in ship and split it up afterwards."

Search for anything that seems useful - tools, electronics, etc. Maintenance room or something like that might be good.
While the other two are searching towards the front of the ship you turn your attention towards the back where the engines should be as you start to pull yourself down the hallway towards a lone door on the right with faded text over it reading 'Maintenance Department'. However when you get there you find the door is shut tight, from external hull damage the inside of the room should be intact, but you need a way in first ...

Spoiler: Dio Costanzo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amelia Terinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neil Aurelius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Kavanagh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Trent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neal Thompson (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Potential Projects (click to show/hide)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2016, 09:37:22 pm »

Determine why the door is not opening; is it that the door is locked, etc? If it is, search bodies for a key.
If it's just jammed, pop off the door cover and unjam it
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2016, 01:57:42 am »

"If you guys run into any trouble getting some doors open..." mentions Dio, playing with the joystick on the weapon console.

Keep working on the navigational logistics code.

Dio thought his knowledge of automated maintenance systems would come in handy this time around...
If possible, apply some of the basic AI coding I know to the system, leaving room for some kind of future AI core integration if specialized cores are needed. Keep it uncommented and as messy as possible while still readable, which shouldn't be hard for a human from the 1700's to do.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2016, 03:32:16 pm »

Okay - so what equipment have we got to remove this vault?

While the other two search the wreck, start detaching the vault from the ship.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2016, 03:36:19 am »

Exercise Understanding: is the cargo limit in the numbers the 'efficient limit'? As in the 'limit one can store most things at while keeping engines at optimum thrust'? Is it possible for me to push that limit though it may incur problems with our engines?

Is it possible to admit more crew to our current quarters--though it may be stuffy and lacking space?
Is there anyway to control the flight computer and other mechanisms of the ship, if one is not at the bridge?

"If any of you find any material there that could spruce up our living quarters or anything you deem needed for basic living, please bring it aboard; remember we're a salvage vessel, and I'd like this to be a good ship we can call a 'home'."

Noticing her mindset was off her book, Amelia made a mental note to get back to it after getting down with the ship.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2016, 03:41:40 am »

Hm. A thousand credits, you say?

The obvious question: how can we complicate this? Consider applications of engineering, programming and miscellaneous gruntwork that could make this minibar one to be reckoned with in all of known space.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2016, 05:06:06 am »

Is it possible to admit more crew to our current quarters--though it may be stuffy and lacking space?
Is there anyway to control the flight computer and other mechanisms of the ship, if one is not at the bridge?[/b]
We have two empty rooms, though I'm turning one into a simple brig.
We don't need more crew, though.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2016, 09:25:07 am »

TK goes back to the medbay and gathers all the medical supplies; it never hurts to have more of those.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2016, 09:47:34 pm »

Okay - so what equipment have we got to remove this vault?
The vault itself can be directly cut out of the ship with your ship's salvage array, the main reason you'd even check it before cutting it out is to make sure the door wasn't open so you don't end up dumping everything into space. You can use the array to cut it out now, of course whether you want to be on a wrecked, damaged ship as something chop it to pieces ...

Exercise Understanding: is the cargo limit in the numbers the 'efficient limit'? As in the 'limit one can store most things at while keeping engines at optimum thrust'? Is it possible for me to push that limit though it may incur problems with our engines?

Is there anyway to control the flight computer and other mechanisms of the ship, if one is not at the bridge?

1) The cargo limit displayed is 'how much can you cram in there while still being able to remove it afterwards without damaging stuff'. Once you've hit that you can squeeze maybe fifty extra units of stuff in, but you're going to start rolling for damaging stuff when you start to take it out.

2) You can in fact admit more people, you only have to bedrooms left (one if you convert a room to a jail cell), but you can still hire more people. Of course you can hire more people than you have bedrooms they'll just sleep in the area around the bridge, and be very unhappy about it.

3) The only thing you can control from off the bridge is power if you go to the reactor room, and even then you need the codes for the reactor computer to adjust anything.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2016, 04:36:15 am »

1) The cargo limit displayed is 'how much can you cram in there while still being able to remove it afterwards without damaging stuff'. Once you've hit that you can squeeze maybe fifty extra units of stuff in, but you're going to start rolling for damaging stuff when you start to take it out.

2) You can in fact admit more people, you only have to bedrooms left (one if you convert a room to a jail cell), but you can still hire more people. Of course you can hire more people than you have bedrooms they'll just sleep in the area around the bridge, and be very unhappy about it.

3) The only thing you can control from off the bridge is power if you go to the reactor room, and even then you need the codes for the reactor computer to adjust anything.
Woo, I now have a bonus turn! thanks adwarf! :D

"Say, Captain--right after we're finished salvaging this, where are we headed next? I'll just be charting our course while waiting for you."

Amelia realized that she may have lacked organization in these kinds of matters.

Plot a course ahead of time to ease travel--as to where the Captain wishes to be! [As my action!]

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2016, 08:05:49 am »

"Uh, back to base, I think, Amelia, thank you."

And suddenly having second thoughts about chopping up the space vessel he is in...

Move to aid TT.

"You need a hand? I realised we should probably strip what we can before detaching the vault..."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2016, 08:21:50 am »

TT made a non-committal sound as he tinkered with the door.
"As soon as this is opened, we'll see."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2016, 06:56:38 pm »

Ship Crew
"Say, Captain--right after we're finished salvaging this, where are we headed next? I'll just be charting our course while waiting for you."

Amelia realized that she may have lacked organization in these kinds of matters.

Plot a course ahead of time to ease travel--as to where the Captain wishes to be! [As my action!]
You spend the time leisurely plotting a course to the primary orbital station of Calmar since that will be the most likely place you'll have to return the Armory too after all.

Hm. A thousand credits, you say?

The obvious question: how can we complicate this? Consider applications of engineering, programming and miscellaneous gruntwork that could make this minibar one to be reckoned with in all of known space.

In your time working for the Macnameer Corp you have seen countless high-class locales leading you to a sudden fit of inspiration regarding the true path to creating the finest minibar a dinky little salvage ship could ever host, or at least you think it should be. You can replace the run down bar, and ordinary stools with high quality chromed metals! Instead of obtaining the drinks yourself from the fridge you can have a serving droid get them, and even mix one of dozens or even hundreds of drink combinations for you as you please. Truly, a gentleman's minibar.

"If you guys run into any trouble getting some doors open..." mentions Dio, playing with the joystick on the weapon console.

Keep working on the navigational logistics code.

Dio thought his knowledge of automated maintenance systems would come in handy this time around...
If possible, apply some of the basic AI coding I know to the system, leaving room for some kind of future AI core integration if specialized cores are needed. Keep it uncommented and as messy as possible while still readable, which shouldn't be hard for a human from the 1700's to do.
You continue your work on programming the logistics improvements with a goal of making the code as unreadable as possible for anyone except you, which isn't hard considering you change several terms from galactic standard to old english, a language you're fairly sure only a handful of truly crazed scholars fully understand. You end up having to roll back your changes once when a test reveals that one of your changes could cause a catastrophic life support failure due to a feedback loop error, but thankfully you managed to catch it in time.

Away Team
TK goes back to the medbay and gathers all the medical supplies; it never hurts to have more of those.
With the rooms in this hall seemingly clear you head back to the medbay and pull out a duffle bag, each suit is paired with one so you can cram as much stuff as you find into the bag before bringing it all back to the ship. As you throw open the various cabinets and drawers you quickly find that this medbay is excessively well stocked for how pathetic the budget is for Customs, and Planetary Police forces. All in all you manage to find two Packages of Kryos Bandages, ten Bottles of Ez-Hl, one Kryos IOR Syringe, four Basic Medical Tool kits, and the corpse of a doctor with a pistol clutched in his hand floating alongside a corpse you can only assume to have been his patient ...

Quote from: Medbay Salvage
2x Package of Kyros Bandages [6 out of 6 bandages left | Stops bleeding temporarily, and is used by the desperate as emergency patches for spacesuit breaches.]
10x Bottles of Ez-Hl [Each bottle has one use. | Heals 4 Health, stops bleeding | Ez-Hl is a medical spray manufactured by the Viliard Medical Industry.]
Kyros IOR Syringe [Single-use | Heals 8 Health, speeds up recovery of organ damage, bone fractures, etc. | A fairly uncommon product produced by Kyros originally made for field treatment of heavily injured soldiers.]
4x Basic Medical Tool kits [The most basic tools required for performing medical work. Scalpel, stitches, a 'How to Sew a Wound' guide for morons, etc.]

Determine why the door is not opening; is it that the door is locked, etc? If it is, search bodies for a key.
If it's just jammed, pop off the door cover and unjam it

You pull out a power drill from your toolbox before setting your sights on a panel to the right of the maintenance door that, unlike the rest of the wall, is held in by screws that can be removed from the outside in case of events like this. You are thankful for such small safety measures as you undo all four screws before tossing the panel off to the side lightly revealing a manual winch compartment with all the components thankfully intact. Without pausing you start to turn the winch just as Neil arrives asking if you need help, and as an answer you point towards the slowly opening door before asking the former cop to cover it just in case the ships previous owners have a surprise left inside.

Luckily you manage to get the door open without any problems and find that the maintenance department is surprisingly well stocked, from a glance you can already see a welding rig over in the corner and even a machining workbench next to it. You'll probably need a more thorough search of the lockers, and bins in here to find everything but in the end this is already a fairly decent find.

"Uh, back to base, I think, Amelia, thank you."

And suddenly having second thoughts about chopping up the space vessel he is in...

Move to aid TT.

"You need a hand? I realised we should probably strip what we can before detaching the vault..."
By the time you arrive back where TT is you find the man turning a lever in a portion of the wall he has seemed to strip of the plating. While he opens the door to the 'Maintenance Department' you hold your shotgun up and cover the door to make sure anything that might be moving inside won't moving towards either of you though in the end your caution seems unwarranted even if it was the smart choice.

Spoiler: Dio Costanzo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amelia Terinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neil Aurelius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Kavanagh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Trent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neal Thompson (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Potential Projects (click to show/hide)

GM Note: Due to me failing to book keep properly Tir's bonus wasn't updated as I put out the turns, and is actually supposed to have worn off by now. Since this is my fault I'll allow the bonus this turn, sorry for the slip up.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2016, 07:09:09 pm »

TK takes the pistol too and stows it. If there's anything useful left, he takes the bag back to his ship, gets a fresh one, and loots moar meds. Otherwise, he goes to find his teammates.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2016, 08:02:31 am »

"Show me what's useful TT, and I'll get to lugging it back to the ship..."

Start transporting looted tools etc., under TT's direction.

"How's it going back on the ship there? Nothing in the vicinity I hope?"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21