Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Arms Race - 1784: Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy Design Phase  (Read 10229 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race - 1783: Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy Design Phase
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 07:09:20 am »

A) use larger balls for greater range at the cost of less shots.
Larger balls have less range. You mean larger rifle, yes?

To be honest I consider air guns to be a dead end that should be abandoned. It gave us few victories, but soon we will need a gunpowder rifle.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 07:15:59 am »

How about a design for more resources (steam train) if we can't agree on what nee designing most? Also, I think we can expect Ft. Alton to attack us next turn, because the GM will want to avoid looking like he's targeting the Monarchy.
I'm against steam train at this point. Canals are better (historically canals system was first, had higher or equal transport capacity than railroad, is alwast the cheapest form of transport no matter the year and it does not get obsolete). We can steal steam train later, after they properly upgraded it :)
Let's not make conspiracy theories :) Probably GM makes some roll with modifiers. Anyway, a preemptive strike to prevent cutting us in half by neutrals around Bradford might be good...

Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown - classic RPG (topic)
Stellar Monarch - 4X, no micromanagement, turn based (topic)
Homepage: http://www.silverlemurgames.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SilverLemur

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 07:26:52 am »

Another thing to consider is that the more we advance around Ft. Alton, the more likely they are to attack us.

UR: Steam engines would also be useful as compressor for dynamite gun. But I agree that we'll need gunpowder weapons sooner or later.

Anyway, on land our main issue is the Atterton Howitzer, and more specifically its case shot. (Although our canister shot got a similar range). How do we counter that?

Edit: Another design idea: a semaphore. We got good cavalry, we can use it to quickly send troop to whatever the enemy is attacking.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:40:37 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 07:46:16 am »

Got an idea for a design action:

Uniform overhaul
Nation-wide overhaul of uniform. Infantry gets brand new helmets, boots and green uniform.  Cavalry gets  cuirasses, helmets, holsters for pistols and blue uniforms. Military horses get new improved saddles, horseshoes and other stuff. Sailors get their own grey uniform suited for their tasks. To ensure mass production of uniforms, develop industrial steam engines suited for the task

Yes, I try to stuff a lot of things in a single action... But we will not spend a design action to get a new helmet, right? And yes, it is a nice opportunity to get a steam engine.

What is our exotic commodity? I suggest exotic bird that doesn't exist IRL, but we need someone with writing\artistic skills
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 07:49:10 am »

No bad. I like how the camo uniforms ties in with our Victoria's stealth and ability to reload prone. +1 to uniform, although I might drop the steam part, which is just too much.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 12:56:14 pm »

A) use larger balls for greater range at the cost of less shots.
Larger balls have less range. You mean larger rifle, yes?

To be honest I consider air guns to be a dead end that should be abandoned. It gave us few victories, but soon we will need a gunpowder rifle.
Im not against a gunpowder rifle, but how one be better than a Victoria?
No bad. I like how the camo uniforms ties in with our Victoria's stealth and ability to reload prone. +1 to uniform, although I might drop the steam part, which is just too much.
Can we try to revise the Victoria to be cheaper some how?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2016, 08:33:16 am »

I've seen a few designs suggested, but no one has really made any arguments for or against any of them. Let's get some spirited debate going.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 08:38:35 am »

I propose that we develop a legal system with which to have Fort Alton's research division tried for spying on our thread and subsequently have the entirety of their assets, material or otherwise, delivered to the special projects division for dissection...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 09:00:51 am »

Range, fire rate, reload time, bayonets compatible. We can try a second air rifle but I think it is risky

IF gunpowder was a resource than air powered stuff would be much more interesting.

I am interested in 2 pounder artillery but on other hand we our revolving muskets to partially fill this role. Spending design action on uniform overhaul allows us too keep improving

Uniform overhaul
Nation-wide overhaul of uniform. Infantry gets brand new helmets, boots and green more comfortable uniform. Cavalry gets  cuirasses, helmets, holsters for pistols, lances and blue uniforms. Military horses get barding, new improved saddles, horseshoes and other stuff. Sailors get their own grey uniform suited for their tasks. Marine infantry gets holsters similar to cavalry and black uniform.

Removed attempt to squeeze a steam engine out of the action. Added marine infantry. Considered adding short swords to victoria armed soldiers, lances to cavalry and boarding axes to marine infantry but I am afraid to overload the action.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 09:43:19 am »

Range, fire rate, reload time, bayonets compatible. We can try a second air rifle but I think it is risky

IF gunpowder was a resource than air powered stuff would be much more interesting.
I was more asking if they where any designs that could surpass the Victoria?
I think that a second air rifle wouldn't be vastly better than what we have right now?
Cheaper, more reliable, more accurate and a bayonet mount yes but not much better.
It's the same with 2 pounder artillery, the role is partially filled so any new design need to be better than the one we have now.

I'm not sold on design a new Uniform, i think that we could just have that as a revision.

This is back.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2016, 02:55:11 pm »

I wouldn't mind some attempt at a air-powered grenade launcher, but that role is already filled.

What we need IMO:
-Heavy Artillery with explosive/shrapnel shots
-Fast Trade Ship
-Gunboats for shore defense
-More ressources

Uniforms are nice, giving a general boost. I think we might do better to design some kind of largish Howitzer with our design phase, and use the revision on uniforms.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2016, 03:46:13 pm »

I'll +1 the thunderbolt dart rifle.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 03:57:28 pm »

I don't want to use revision on uniforms because there are too much new stuff. Revision is more fitting for doing stuff for infantry only or for cavalry only. + I want good uniforms. Better add more changes. Or remove armour parts and go for  textile industry steam engine focused action with addition of new uniforms.

I dislike howitzer because it is just an attempt to copy our opponent, while I'd like to have advantages in other fields, like being more mobile.

Resources stuff is definitely a revision material and I really want to spend it on a faster trader\raider ship.

Designing a new gunboat around 8 pounder is a viable course of action for this turn, but we  got navyphobes in this thread.

And thunderbolt dart rifle is some overengineered monster

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 04:11:13 pm »

Is there? In the Arstotzka game revisions on uniforms worked fine.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 04:24:29 pm »

They weren't so - change all branches of army style.

And design action worked better than revision.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11