Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002104 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4350 on: December 19, 2016, 02:21:16 pm »

Source also says he was Turkish. I wouldn't jump at the salafi that quickly first of all they killed on guy instead of blowing the building all the rebels apart maybe for the Turks have reasons to be sore at Russia.

Edit: Apparently the killer was Mert Altintas, a 22-years old police officer. Apart from Allah Akbar he was shouting stuff along the line of "Don't forget Syria, Don't forget Aleppo, as long as our brothers aren't safe you won't be safe".
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 02:24:45 pm by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: December 19, 2016, 02:23:53 pm »

From CNN and BBCnews sources, nobody has said who they think is behind it. All we know is that the guy was a plainclothes policeman.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: December 19, 2016, 02:26:26 pm »

Apparently he was a spec ops policeman off duty. He was also shot within 15 minutes by the same spec ops unit *conspiration theroy intensify".

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: December 19, 2016, 02:29:44 pm »

I had posted that while you had edited your post. He is also from the Aydin province, which I wiki'd and it's on the west coast of Turkey. Regardless of where it's from, the Turkish government will probably spin it in however way that benefits them.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: December 19, 2016, 02:31:09 pm »

I had posted that while you had edited your post. He is also from the Aydin province, which I wiki'd and it's on the west coast of Turkey. Regardless of where it's from, the Turkish government everyone will probably spin it in however way that benefits them.

I mean, of course. At least they'll have trouble blaming it on the PKK.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: December 19, 2016, 02:41:36 pm »

Russian sources are saying the assassin was a Salafist Islamist, who shouted 'This is for Aleppo' as well as the old favourite 'Allahu Ackbar' during the attack.

A sad reminder that despite the recent narrative of Putin being behind all the evils in the world, we share a very serious common enemy with Russia; radical Islam.

That's Russian sources, lets see what other sources say that the assassin was. But yes, there is a common enemy. We had to made a similar alliance of convenience during WWII.

There is literally video of him saying these things. I won't link it since it obviously also includes him shooting the ambassador, but it's not difficult to find.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: December 19, 2016, 02:48:50 pm »

Err, pretty sure there are non salafist radicals, the whole "lol its all the salafists' fault" is kinda conspiracy theory tier. Salafists are fundamentalist radicals, yes, but terrorists in general come from all branches of islam. Its also kinda hilarious how people go "salafists aren't muslim guyse". Yea, and westboro baptists aren't christians, either, sure.

That is in fact something I've heard. That their behavior goes against the principles of Christ's teachings and that therefore they are Christian only in name, despite their origin. These are the people that also usually say Mormonism isn't Christianity but an offshoot of it.

Eh, I've said it before, my criticism of Islam isn't its content, but its decentralization. You can't reasonably "denounce" a particular sect when you're so decentralized that none of the other sects care about your opinion, and there's barely any notion of a leadership hierarchy for most sects anyway. Of course, this also makes it really easy to spread, but the consequence is... well, what we're seeing today. It's easy to take a faith and misrepresent it and mold it into whatever bastardized image you wanted to create when there's no one around to tell you that you're wrong.

My question as to the above was actually not a hypothetical; was blanking on any examples outside of salafists. Thanks, though, for reminding me of a few.
I'm curious as to what you mean. Is it easier for a religion to spread when centralized or decentralized? The Catholic Church managed to help Christianity spread quite quickly, and seems like the golden standard for religious centralization.

@smjjames: I understand the instinctive urge to try and challenge any sources that say things that could be used to further provoke violence against minority groups. However, there's a principle of debate called equal application of rigor; don't challenge something just because it's inconvenient for it to be true any more than you would challenge something that you would prefer to be true. :/

@Covenant: Not helping.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: December 19, 2016, 02:49:10 pm »

I had posted that while you had edited your post. He is also from the Aydin province, which I wiki'd and it's on the west coast of Turkey. Regardless of where it's from, the Turkish government everyone will probably spin it in however way that benefits them.

I mean, of course. At least they'll have trouble blaming it on the PKK.
Then they'll blame it on Gulenist conspiracy, duh.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: December 19, 2016, 02:50:51 pm »

Russian sources are saying the assassin was a Salafist Islamist, who shouted 'This is for Aleppo' as well as the old favourite 'Allahu Ackbar' during the attack.

A sad reminder that despite the recent narrative of Putin being behind all the evils in the world, we share a very serious common enemy with Russia; radical Islam.

That's Russian sources, lets see what other sources say that the assassin was. But yes, there is a common enemy. We had to made a similar alliance of convenience during WWII.

There is literally video of him saying these things. I won't link it since it obviously also includes him shooting the ambassador, but it's not difficult to find.

I meant the claim that he was a salafi islamist, which there is no evidence for atm.

fakeedit: This just ain't a good day is it, there was this shooting of three people near an islamic center in Zurich, not much detail atm and then a couple min ago is a truck plows into a German christmas market, BBC link: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38373867  little info atm.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: December 19, 2016, 02:58:01 pm »

Eh, I've said it before, my criticism of Islam isn't its content, but its decentralization. You can't reasonably "denounce" a particular sect when you're so decentralized that none of the other sects care about your opinion, and there's barely any notion of a leadership hierarchy for most sects anyway. Of course, this also makes it really easy to spread, but the consequence is... well, what we're seeing today. It's easy to take a faith and misrepresent it and mold it into whatever bastardized image you wanted to create when there's no one around to tell you that you're wrong.

My question as to the above was actually not a hypothetical; was blanking on any examples outside of salafists. Thanks, though, for reminding me of a few.
I'm curious as to what you mean. Is it easier for a religion to spread when centralized or decentralized? The Catholic Church managed to help Christianity spread quite quickly, and seems like the golden standard for religious centralization.
Well, I'd say that it certainly helped it spread and stick around in various... more contested areas, without necessarily needing a direct push. Doesn't it have over 1 billion practicing members these days? Part of those numbers come from decentralization.

I don't think centralization has anything to do with that, just the will and desire to spread the religion. Christianity didn't become centralized until centuries after Christ. Though that was partly due to the fact that it was driven underground for a while.

Not sure why we're getting into a religion derail though....

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: December 19, 2016, 03:23:21 pm »

So, Russian sources says he was a Salafist? lol, because Russia is globally known for its "journalism" accuracy.

Did he need to be a Salafist to kill the Russian ambassador? did he need to be a Salafist to be upset about other muslims dying in Aleppo? nope. he probably had a strong religious identity, but that doesn't mean he was religious himself, let alone a Salafist.

Besides, Hezbollah, Russia's ally, is a radical Islamic organization.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: December 19, 2016, 03:31:29 pm »

So, Russian sources says he was a Salafist? lol, because Russia is globally known for its "journalism" accuracy.

Did he need to be a Salafist to kill the Russian ambassador? did he need to be a Salafist to be upset about other muslims dying in Aleppo? nope. he probably had a strong religious identity, but that doesn't mean he was religious himself, let alone a Salafist.

Besides, Hezbollah, Russia's ally, is a radical Islamic organization.

I'm not so sure Hezbollah is actually an ally of Russia, but yes, Russia is an ally (not sure how close they actually are) of Iran. So, in the sense of by proxy and through guilt by association, Hezbollah is an ally of Russia.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: December 19, 2016, 03:39:46 pm »

Well, Hizbullah is fighting side-by-side with Russia in Syria. Iranically, the US if fighting alonside "Hizbullah in Iraq" in Iraq. But that's apparently a different, unrelated Hizbullah (Which mean "party of god").

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4363 on: December 19, 2016, 03:51:50 pm »

Watch the video yourself if you disagree on the commentary

Also Germany Christmas market attack
I ran out of things to say about Germans destroying their country a long time ago

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: December 19, 2016, 03:58:16 pm »

Watch the video yourself if you disagree on the commentary

The saying "Allahu Akbar" is a common saying, almost exactly like you or me saying "Oh My God", so, just saying it isn't a sign of being a salafist on it's own. Though it will draw attention to you in most places in the West. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takbir.

i'm in no way condoning the act, just saying that speaking those words don't automatically make one a salafist.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:00:44 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 793