Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002211 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5265 on: March 23, 2017, 10:24:01 am »

Isn't it the case that the UK gave up relatively few civil liberties because they had so few to start with. :p More seriously, UK spy agencies got powers their contiental counterpart can only dream off, there you have your super net of cameras...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: March 23, 2017, 10:32:05 am »

Also, it appears that another person in Antwerp tried to do a terror attack but failed.

I'm starting to wonder at how bad some many of these supposedly terrorists are at their job. It's like the Orly dude, what kind of radical jihadi get drunk before his attack? It's starting to look like suicide by cop more than anything else.

Neither the Politico link I had there earlier or the BBC link that I put in because it has more information, says anything about the driver being drunk. Yes, there is an 'unidentifiable liquid', but that could just be a bottle of water, or a bottle of piss for all we know.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: March 23, 2017, 10:53:24 am »

No, I'm talking about another dude, that shot a policeman in France with a "pistolet à grenaille" (not sure the real name, basically a modified 9mm pistol shooting a cartridge full of tiny lead balls, mostly useless as a weapon) then tried to grab a rifle from a soldier in Orly and was shot. He apparently had 0.93 g/l of BAC.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: March 23, 2017, 11:44:01 am »

Pray, what can we do? Hunker down in bulletproof voting booths?
Voting booths are for electing leaders, electing leaders who don't want open borders with North Africa, Eastern Yurop and Turkey is a good start. The alternative is just continue as normal with more people dying as usual. That's the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result

The only problem with the idea of blocking out people from North Africa, Turkey, and the MidEast (dunno if you're singling out Eastern Europe seriously or being ironic in the British way, going with Britishly ironic) is that the guy was born in the UK. There is little information on what exactly the background of the person is though.

Basically, keeping people out does nothing to stop those that were radicalized on home soil.

Also, it appears that another person in Antwerp tried to do a terror attack but failed.

It's a pretty well established thing that when it comes to terrorism second generation immigrants is the main problem. Stopping more immigrants from these regions means less people who grow up and become radicalized down the line. It keeps the problem from getting bigger.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: March 23, 2017, 11:57:56 am »

Pray, what can we do? Hunker down in bulletproof voting booths?
Voting booths are for electing leaders, electing leaders who don't want open borders with North Africa, Eastern Yurop and Turkey is a good start. The alternative is just continue as normal with more people dying as usual. That's the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result

The only problem with the idea of blocking out people from North Africa, Turkey, and the MidEast (dunno if you're singling out Eastern Europe seriously or being ironic in the British way, going with Britishly ironic) is that the guy was born in the UK. There is little information on what exactly the background of the person is though.

Basically, keeping people out does nothing to stop those that were radicalized on home soil.

It's a pretty well established thing that when it comes to terrorism second generation immigrants is the main problem. Stopping more immigrants from these regions means less people who grow up and become radicalized down the line. It keeps the problem from getting bigger.

Yes, but you still have to deal with the people already there, the guy was 50 something years old, which means, in theory, you'd still be dealing with the problems 50 years from now.

I get the logic of preventing immigrants from coming in, but if the source is second generation immigrants, why not deal with whatever is radicalizing those second generation immigrants? Stopping immigration won't stop them from becoming radicalized.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: March 23, 2017, 12:20:07 pm »

There is no mutual exclusitivity between the two.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: March 23, 2017, 12:34:57 pm »

I get what you're saying, but there are definetly ways to do it right and ways to do it wrong which would just make things worse.

Just don't go too far down the slippery slope, Europe.

*ahem*

Anyways...

http://www.politico.eu/article/erdogan-accuses-bulgaria-of-putting-pressure-on-turks/

Apparently Bulgaria expelled a Turkish citizen and blocked two others over concerns that Turkey would interfere in their Parliamentary elections this weekend because a Turkish minister had campaigned for a Bulgarian political party. Erdogan then responded with what looks like a condemnation of election interference attempts and at the same time, the usual spat that Erdogan has been having with Europe this past month or two.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:45:21 pm by smjjames »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: March 23, 2017, 12:49:21 pm »

• Immediate declaration of Article 5, based on Turkey's threat to Europe.
  • Turkey is required to treat Turkey as directly threatening Turkey, as per NATO charter.
  • Chaos.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: March 23, 2017, 12:54:14 pm »

At this point, the slippery slope looks mighty attractive.

• Turkey is required to treat Turkey as directly threatening Turkey, as per NATO charter.
  • Chaos.

Loyalty cascade tantrum spiral.
Nato: They say a Erdogan plots the Erdogan's death
Erdogan reveals himself as Erdogan, the muslim toothed demon of kebab!
The Erdogan strikes the Erdogan in the throat with the =leather shoe= and the severed erdogan sails off in an arc!
Erdogan: it is terrifying.
Britain: I must leave.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:02:46 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: March 23, 2017, 12:56:24 pm »

• Chaos.

I think that'd only happen if Turkey physically (or digitially) attacked an European state. It's been rhetoric and the burning of bridges so far.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: March 23, 2017, 01:02:35 pm »

• Chaos.

I think that'd only happen if Turkey physically (or digitially) attacked an European state. It's been rhetoric and the burning of bridges so far.

Probably, but the exact limits of Article 5 have never been tested. It's only been officially invoked once, and that was after September 11th.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: March 23, 2017, 03:01:11 pm »

rushing head first into something without even thinking

Yeah, maybe the wise men should have thought first before letting over 1,5 million refugees into Europe in 2015. But no, we are obliged to help, we need diversity, we need young, fertile people to fix our demographics.

Good(although not even greatest) part of the issue of large, radicalizing minorities with downright barbaric, medieval cultures and beliefs in Europe would have been dealth with had either borders been kept closed or the Syrian war been forcefully put to end back in 2012 or 2013. IMHO.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: March 23, 2017, 03:14:06 pm »

Britain: I must leave.
Europe: It was inevitable.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: March 23, 2017, 03:56:26 pm »

rushing head first into something without even thinking

Yeah, maybe the wise men should have thought first before letting over 1,5 million refugees into Europe in 2015. But no, we are obliged to help, we need diversity, we need young, fertile people to fix our demographics.

Good(although not even greatest) part of the issue of large, radicalizing minorities with downright barbaric, medieval cultures and beliefs in Europe would have been dealth with had either borders been kept closed or the Syrian war been forcefully put to end back in 2012 or 2013. IMHO.
Except, as pointed out, a lot of terrorists are radicalised IN the country. The one in the UK was BORN in Kent, so that won't have been fixed by closing the border unless we decided to do so decades ago.

I can agree with the Syrian war, though. That's being dragged out like a bleeding carcass across a room.

Which is why I wanted to include the large part, not all. Some countries like UK already had large and already fairly radical muslim minorities, but some countries had their minorities' size doubled. Finland only received 32,000 "refugees" (almost all were male in their 20 and 30s), and despite most of them being housed centrally and about half of them have already left the country, we still had rapes on ethnically finnish women DOUBLED and percentage of non-finnish rape suspect percentage go down from about 50% to mere 23 %. And we had to take extra loans for over 1 billion to handle them in 2016 alone, on the top of a state budget that was already several billion deficit.

The emirate of Bahrain wants to build a "islamic centre" and a large mosque in Helsinki. Complete with bahraini imams, probably. If the course isnt changed we'll be getting all the fun UK, France, Sweden etc. already enjoy, just with a 10 year delay, and it is possible that soon the welfare state cannot be run anymore. I would not be surprised if we saw first jihadic/islamic terrorist attack this year.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: March 23, 2017, 05:59:40 pm »

I honestly understand your concerns, but we can't allow ourselves to be paralysed by fear of 'going too far', or we'd never do anything.
One reason why we're careful is that a little under a century ago, a certain someone decided that  he needed to do everything in his power to ensure the dominance of the his race.

Really? Who? Please tell me more about this. I have literally never heard about it.

Come on now, stop pretending to be dumb here.

Also, you think that with the current situation our lives, culture and values will just vanish? The IRA did a way more effective job with their campaign of terrorism, and Britain, our values and our culture survived, and the British people are still around today.

The IRA never had thousands of people marching through the streets of our own capital holding banners that say 'Behead those who insult the IRA.'. Neither did the IRA infiltrate a large number of English primary schools in a conspiracy to institute 'IRA values', nor did they declare parts of London a Republican zone and then assault people for, I don't know, speaking the Queen's English inside it.

Aside from terrorism being involved, the two situations are very, very different. Let's not kid ourselves; we have a rapidly growing Muslim population - it's nearly doubled in the past decade - a large segment of which is not integrating into British culture and society to a degree that's anywhere near good enough. Did you know more British Muslims have gone to join ISIS than have joined the British Army? Or that a survey conducted by ICM Research (conducted for the Channel 4 documentary, "What British Muslims Really Think," aired April 13 of last year) found that only 34% of British Muslims would contact the police if they believed that somebody close to them had become involved with jihadists, and that 52% believe homosexuality should be illegal?

I worry about those things much more than the death toll we've faced, and will continue to face, from terrorists' bombs and knives and guns. The loss of life is tragic, yes, but overall it is most significant as a symbol and a warning. A symbol of what we will apparently accept, what we will submit ourselves to and bury our heads in the sand against rather than address openly and without fear. And a warning of the future.

I hope, more than anything, that we can stop hiding and ignoring things and pretending that despicable events like Rotherham* and the myriad other Asian sex gang cases (Telford, Rochdale, Derby, Peterborough, Leicester, Oxford, Keighley, and more) and all the other problems that this lack of integration is causing are all isolated incidents. I hope we can steel ourselves and say 'Right, things aren't pretty, we need to actually deal with this now'. I hope that the government takes sensible, proportionate action to address the problem before it becomes a crisis, though god knows there's already been a terrible cost to it already.

Because if they don't address it, well... like the Roman, I seem to see the river Tiber foaming with much blood.

Well, I hope we don't see the river Thames foam with blood.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I dare you to tell me that there has been a sufficient response to these events.

While I agree with your earlier assertation that comparing the IRA and The Troubles with things now is by far not even an equivalent situation, that's a fallacious question there. It's fallacious because, well, 'sufficient response' would vary from person to person and you don't even tell whether they had been charged and jailed yet.

Obviously a basic 'sufficient response' would be "try the rapers like the criminals that they are and put them away, and possibly deport them", but I don't know anything about the case other than what you've said.

Also, humans are terrible.
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 793