Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002151 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6420 on: August 05, 2017, 09:02:10 pm »

No, no, I'm pretty sure that's just some odd sort of language drift at worst. Everyone is fastidiously calling whatever it is that's supposed to be an elk an elk. The definition of elk, even, is now, "Whatever it is that's supposed to be called an elk." It's a delightful example of efficient variable linguistic recursion. which may or may not be more evil than you. It's hard to tell with evlr.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6421 on: August 06, 2017, 12:09:05 pm »

Tbh I need to just make a hella Jeff macro "I warned you about the complacency bro, I warned you and it keeps happening." It's possible because this is a contest and one must not be entirely short-sighted to forget that after this election, the victor has a country to govern
Less than three months after his election, France's energetic and image-conscious president has seen his popularity drop after announcing budget cuts, launching a divisive labor reform and engaging in a damaging dispute with the military.
A series of opinion polls last week showed the percentage of French citizens who said they were satisfied with Macron's policies and trusted their young leader to deal with the country's problems plunging. The reversal might not affect the visible international profile he has cut since taking office, but it could hurt Macron's ability to secure his ambitious domestic agenda.
France's Ifop polling agency put it bluntly: "Apart from Jacques Chirac in July 1995, a newly elected president has never seen his popularity rate falling as quickly during the summer after the election."
Don't worry fam free market will neolib it
"Emmanuel Macron's approval rating goes negative after just three months in office"
Mr Macron, France’s youngest leader since Napoleon, is pushing through controversial plans to strip away workers’ rights and labour market regulations.
French ppl actually voted for this ayyy lmao

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: August 06, 2017, 12:13:57 pm »

Imagine electing bourgeoisie scum and then being surprised when the bourgeoisie scum steals your labor and life while sucking off oligarchs in 2017.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: August 06, 2017, 12:50:18 pm »

... barely paying attention, but are you intimating that this is another case of people voting for someone who ran on the platform of fucking people, and then became shocked, shocked I say, when the one they voted in started fucking people?

Because it kinda' seems like that's at least been more visible in the last year or three.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: August 06, 2017, 12:59:24 pm »

I'm not familiar with Macrons platform, though he did run on the same kind of neoliberal globalist stuff that has been getting a backlash, I think (on the running on the neoliberal globalist platform, not the backlash).

Though stripping away workers rights doesn't sound very liberal to me.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: August 06, 2017, 01:02:13 pm »

I'm not familiar with Macrons platform, though he did run on the same kind of neoliberal globalist stuff that has been getting a backlash, I think (on the running on the neoliberal globalist platform, not the backlash).

Keep in mind that the US use the wrong definition of liberal.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6426 on: August 06, 2017, 01:33:40 pm »

... barely paying attention, but are you intimating that this is another case of people voting for someone who ran on the platform of fucking people, and then became shocked, shocked I say, when the one they voted in started fucking people?
Because it kinda' seems like that's at least been more visible in the last year or three.
Absolutely shocked

It's liberal in the Reagan/Thatcher sense of liberal, which entails selling everything that isn't bolted down (and then selling the bolts), deregulating everything you can until you're finally ready to sell government itself

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: August 08, 2017, 07:32:10 pm »

Is... his Wife at least super qualified and not in anyway stinking of nepotism?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6429 on: August 08, 2017, 07:34:46 pm »

She taught drama

To him

And already has her own staff, security and funding from the government

A row erupted on Monday after the government announced it was going to cut a particular type of housing benefit by five euros a month in a move affecting millions of French people – including many living below the poverty line.
Louis Gallois, head of a federation of organisations working on poverty, slammed the measure for “hitting the poorest people foremost”.
More than 800,000 of those affected were students, causing students’ unions to demand the government “instantly withdraw” the plans. Disgruntlement among students is a thorny issue because the government is seeking to avoid students joining potential protests against Macron’s proposed changes to labour laws this autumn.
Opposition politicians accused Macron of targeting the poor and favouring the rich with measures including the loosening France’s wealth tax so that it applies only to property, not investments – which Macron has argued will boost the economy. A study last week found that overall the richest 10% of France’s households will likely benefit the most from Macron’s proposed tax cuts.
Dang this is too bad to make fun of

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: August 08, 2017, 07:37:05 pm »

Schemes like that are a very common form of corruption in France, though usually they end up as secretaries or similar. Macron's wife taught literature at a prestigious school but aside from a failed city council run in 1989 and an unspecified role in her husband's campaign she doesn't seem to have much experience in politics.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: August 08, 2017, 07:40:29 pm »

You could have stopped this, France. You could have had Comrade Melenchon.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: August 08, 2017, 07:41:10 pm »

Well, the French already have (and had) corruption scandals with nepotism and so, it's understandable that they'd be all salty about it. Though really, if Macron is trying to copy the US, the First Lady isn't an official position either, well, it's not considered being a position within the government, which is sort of sounds like what Macron did.

Schemes like that are a very common form of corruption in France, though usually they end up as secretaries or similar.

Yeah, primarily that.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:46:53 pm by smjjames »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: August 08, 2017, 07:45:36 pm »

I bet Marine Le Pen wouldn't hire her wife to do pointless make-work and draw a double salary.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: August 08, 2017, 07:47:41 pm »

I bet Marine Le Pen wouldn't hire her wife to do pointless make-work and draw a double salary.
Do you think the modern equivalent of having your mistress' identity exposed while in office is being far-right and having your lesbian mistress' identity exposed while in office?
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 793