Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.05 Released  (Read 42957 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.05 Released
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 07:57:23 am »

I've just got a problem with woodcutting.
Suddenly nobody wants to hack a tree.
Axes aren't forbidden, no other jobs, all are idle and trees stays designated for chopping.
Have you noticed any elven propaganda materials hidden in their bedrooms? ;)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 08:26:34 am »

I've just got a problem with woodcutting.
Suddenly nobody wants to hack a tree.
Axes aren't forbidden, no other jobs, all are idle and trees stays designated for chopping.

Did you enable the Woodcutting labor on any dwarves?  These dwarves should not also have Mining or Hunting enabled.

Is your Woodcutting-labor-enabled dwarf busy doing something else?

Do you have at least m+w axes available, where m is the number of axes needed by the military, and w is the number needed by your Woodcutters?

Has the Woodcutting-labor-enabled dwarf picked up an axe yet?

If not, does he have a hand free to do so?  No "Ability to grasp lost" on the health screen?  No jugs or goblets or wheelbarrows or minecarts accumulated in his hand(s)?  (That bug isn't fixed in 0.42.05, but is marked to be fixed in the next version.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 10:34:59 am »

After some playing i think this problem is connected with army and Dwarf Therapist.
Also there's a problem with woodcutters in army with axes.

Simple solution is not to change mining/woodcutting once they're set and don't enlist woodcutters. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 10:41:36 am »

1. Did you enable the Woodcutting labor on any dwarves?  These dwarves should not also have Mining or Hunting enabled.
2. Is your Woodcutting-labor-enabled dwarf busy doing something else?
3. Do you have at least m+w axes available, where m is the number of axes needed by the military, and w is the number needed by your Woodcutters?
4. Has the Woodcutting-labor-enabled dwarf picked up an axe yet?
5. If not, does he have a hand free to do so?  No "Ability to grasp lost" on the health screen?  No jugs or goblets or wheelbarrows or minecarts accumulated in his hand(s)?  (That bug isn't fixed in 0.42.05, but is marked to be fixed in the next version.)
1. Of course. (I'm playing DF for somewhat "Date Registered: 19-03-2009, 13:03:48" - 7 years, maybe even more ;-))
2. Nope. Idlers.
3. Even without military.
4. Yes. They're cutting trees in start.
5. No health problems at all, free hands.
Finis sanctificat media.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 12:02:28 pm »

After some playing i think this problem is connected with army and Dwarf Therapist.

Simple solution is not to change mining/woodcutting once they're set and don't enlist woodcutters. ;-)

Mining, hunting, woodcutting, and military are all mutually exclusive, because of how the first three use hidden uniforms to provide the pick/crossbow/axe. A dwarf can't have more than one uniform assigned.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:04:04 pm by MobRules »
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 02:01:19 pm »

Mining, hunting, woodcutting, and military are all mutually exclusive, because of how the first three use hidden uniforms to provide the pick/crossbow/axe. A dwarf can't have more than one uniform assigned.
They're don't return to woodcutting after military.

It all worked on 40.24, so i think the problem is in new Dwarf Therapist.
Finis sanctificat media.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 01:36:44 am »

The "Inverse Lye Bucket" bug is exponentially worse this version. NOTHING in bins or barrels seems to be usable. Dwarves won't take meat or fish or seeds in barrels to use in jobs at all. But you can't avert it with quantum stockpiling because the meat will rot if it's not in a barrel. Conundrum.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 10:46:43 am »

Really? I haven't noticed that...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 11:19:23 pm »

Both statements seem incorrect to me.  Stuff in bins and barrels is usable in my fortresses, and food that's in a stockpile without a barrel does not rot.  (It does attract a lot of vermin, though.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 06:04:50 pm »

Occasionally farmers will not pick up seeds from my stockpiles.  My Gemcutter constantly cancels his gemcutting jobs claiming there are no uncut gems but I have at least 10 of them in the nearest stockpile.  Werelizard formed on one of my levels and was killed by military, no one has ever cleaned the blood up or disposed of the corpse despite many dwarfs set to that job.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2016, 09:24:06 pm »

Transient job cancellations are well known.  When a dwarf is tasked to place an item in a container (bin, barrel, etc.), the barrel becomes temporarily unavailable (locked, in the software sense) for the dwarf who wants to remove an item from it.  This is nothing new.  This is how the game has worked for many years.

One possible solution would be for the dwarf trying to take an item out of the barrel to silently delay his action, instead of hard-failing and possibly cancelling a workshop job.  (I don't know the code, so I don't know how hard it would be to program that.)  Because it's really the workshop cancellations that matter here.  Those are a pain to redo.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 04:16:29 am »

devlog 2015-01-24: "After that, it was time for something dwarfy. So I started on the ability to specify materials for tasks. This'll possibly include further specifications for details like the shape of statues and wall engravings, depending on how all the complications work out."

Oh yes. Ooh yes.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 11:45:39 am »

Transient job cancellations are well known.  When a dwarf is tasked to place an item in a container (bin, barrel, etc.), the barrel becomes temporarily unavailable (locked, in the software sense) for the dwarf who wants to remove an item from it.  This is nothing new.  This is how the game has worked for many years.

One possible solution would be for the dwarf trying to take an item out of the barrel to silently delay his action, instead of hard-failing and possibly cancelling a workshop job.  (I don't know the code, so I don't know how hard it would be to program that.)  Because it's really the workshop cancellations that matter here.  Those are a pain to redo.

Interesting, thanks for this answer.  I guess we'll just have to deal with a bit more micromanagement on this until it is sorted out by the developers.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 03:21:42 pm »

devlog 2015-01-24: "After that, it was time for something dwarfy. So I started on the ability to specify materials for tasks. This'll possibly include further specifications for details like the shape of statues and wall engravings, depending on how all the complications work out."

Oh yes. Ooh yes.
IT'S HAPPENING

THE HYPE TRAIN HAS LEFT THE STATION

[GET INTO THE HYPE BUNKER]

(Is nobody else as excited as I am about this? This is seriously one of the most common suggestions on the board, and it can branch into allowing the player to choose what a statue/engraving/figurine depicts. This is AWESOME. No more DFHackery or weird stockpile links just to get things to be made of magma-safe stuff or the right color stuff, and so on. TL;DR: BASICALLY I AM REALLY HYPED)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 03:47:58 pm »

I will still continue to set up stockpile links, because that's not weird.  But being able to specify that I want statues of Gods, not statues of vermin that your friend hates, would be pretty cool.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4