Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steel Short Sword Artifact with 50% Sharpness?  (Read 4565 times)

Relint12

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Steel Short Sword Artifact with 50% Sharpness?
« on: February 09, 2016, 12:30:43 am »

New to Dwarf Fortress in the last 2 months and loving it.  I’ve been really impressed with the depth of features in addition to how both unforgiving and rewarding the game can be.  So you can imagine how stoked I was to start crafting my first weapon artifact and even more excited when the Weaponsmith asked for Steel Bars!  Soon I had it Otikasol, “Sheenseizure”, a Steel Short Sword the entire fortress could rally behind.  Overjoyed, I assigned it to my best sword wielder and then started really looking into the stats.  I'd just barely even figured out where to look for that kind of thing when I noticed something odd, the sharpness was 50% of iron.  Puzzled I searched around the forums and wiki but couldn’t find anything to explain the discrepancy unless the game thinks the blade is made of something other than steel... 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Did a lot of screenshot snipping to get these on one page.  As you can see the Artifact has identical stats to a masterwork steel short sword except the sharpness is listed as half that of iron.

The wiki indicates Artifacts are supposed to be the same sharpness as their base material (in this case steel = 100%) plus a quality modifier, is that quality modifier added in after the sharpness listed because then it could be a wash *crossing fingers* and this still be a better weapon than the masterwork short sword it replaced on the right.  Because this appears to be some sort of bug I’ve even thought of modifying the weapon stats manually to bring them in line with Steel but I don’t know if that’s even possible without digging deeply beyond DFhack options.  Thought I’d throw this out there to the kind folks on these forums to see if I’m reading this wrong.   Otherwise it’ll pry be a bad day for the poor Sword Dwarf it was assigned to and might end up an excellent trap / royal bed room decoration if I can recover it when he falls.

In the meantime an elven caravan just sold me a Grizzly Bear and much to my surprise they can be trained for war!  There will be much rejoicing throughout the fortress of Enolinen, aka “Grizzlyhills,” now that our ranks can be filled with the ferociousness our Ursine brethren.  The besieging goblin forces of the demon queen Ayara Dentwebs the Willful Cut shall come to fear their bone crushing might in the battles ahead.

P.S. I also figured out how to use Legends Viewer last week : )

Thanks in advance for the responses and for already being such a great and helpful community.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steel Short Sword Artifact with 50% Sharpness?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 12:28:09 pm »

I'm not sure if this is possibly mod related, but this sounds like a bug. You should check to see if this has been reported on the bug tracker yet. If not, Toady would likely be interested in hearing about it.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:44:21 pm »

Iron is 277/233 percent better then iron? I think it's a DFHack bug.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 08:13:50 pm »

Iron is 277/233 percent better then iron? I think it's a DFHack bug.
Read more carefully - those items are made of steel, not iron...

Also, I don't see a report for this on the bug tracker, so I've posted it here.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:40:08 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Relint12

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:53:31 pm »

Thanks the initiative and detailed bug report Quietust,

It looks like you've got a much better handle on what's likely causing this than I do.  Do you need my "Game Save" or is the issue easy enough to duplicate that it's unnecessary?  Also, I'm currently playing Dwarf Fortress version 0.40.24 using Starter Pack r20 if that helps bound the bug window. 

From reading your write up, I now understand that the issue is related to edge quality and not material quality gives me hope for the wielder's effectiveness and life expectancy against armored opponents. 

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 07:40:58 am »

I already replicated the bug myself by using DFHack to start a strange mood, and I've examined the relevant game code to see what's actually going on.

If you want to actually fix your artifact weapons, here's how you can do it:

1. Highlight the item from an appropriate interface, such as the Loo(k) cursor or the Stocks screen (for reasons, the Item Properties viewscreen does not work here)
2. Type the following command at the DFHack console:
Code: [Select]
:lua dfhack.gui.getSelectedItem().setQuality(5) (on any other item, this will make it Masterful)
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 08:26:34 am »

Ah, so it's an artifact no-quality weapon, and the masterfulness isn't being properly set? Seems like a simple enough bug to fix.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 08:54:39 pm »

Worth noting I did this manually when I set up a script to "fake" artifacts that are properly listed historically and such. Still waiting for the game to stabilize a bit more before I rework it to take into account things like the new image specification stuff, but yeah. I included a line to just directly set the quality and thus sharpness to max correctly, never even checked my older natural artifacts.

Relint12

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 10:02:48 pm »

I already replicated the bug myself by using DFHack to start a strange mood, and I've examined the relevant game code to see what's actually going on.

If you want to actually fix your artifact weapons, here's how you can do it:

1. Highlight the item from an appropriate interface, such as the Loo(k) cursor or the Stocks screen (for reasons, the Item Properties viewscreen does not work here)
2. Type the following command at the DFHack console:
Code: [Select]
:lua dfhack.gui.getSelectedItem().setQuality(5) (on any other item, this will make it Masterful)

Just as a follow up, I tried the command from the stocks screen and then when that didn't appear to work on a random Battle Axe that was visible in a stock pile with Loo(k).  Both times I got the same "Cannot Invoke Command" response. 

This is from the stocks screen attempt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm probably doing something wrong if you want to take a look.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:16:59 am by Relint12 »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 10:08:33 pm »

My mistake - the command is ":lua dfhack.gui.getSelectedItem():setQuality(5)".