Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Trading Masterworks  (Read 16405 times)

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading Masterworks
« on: February 11, 2016, 10:51:52 am »

I sold and offered a bunch of masterwork porcelain statues to the dwarven caravan. When it left the map, I got a whole bunch of messages saying "A masterwork of XXX was lost!", and the potters are both "feeling shocked/hopeless after suffering the travesty of art defacement". If it matters, I'm playing on vanilla 42.06, continuing on an old save started in .05.

My understanding was that trading masterwork items with the caravans doesn't trigger this message. I checked the wiki and it confirms that. Plus I'm quite sure I traded some similar masterwork statues to the previous year's caravan (when I was still running 42.05) and didn't have any such issue.

Is this a bug?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading Masterworks
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 11:09:20 am »

Looks like one.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 11:17:21 am »

I've seen others report the same thing in the new version, so definitely a new bug.  I don't see it in the bug tracker yet though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:33:40 am »

Hmm, let me see if I can verify on a fresh world.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 08:43:15 pm »

Quote from: martinuzz
Did this update change something with regards to how masterpiece trading is handled? I got messages saying that masterpieces were lost now twice, once when the human caravan left, and then when the dwarven caravan left. I sold them some masterpiece roasts.
The export wealth calculation fix involved retaining the items longer, and maybe it triggered the masterpiece loss.  I'll try to fix it all without screwing something else up for next time.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 04:14:39 am »

Quote from: martinuzz
Did this update change something with regards to how masterpiece trading is handled? I got messages saying that masterpieces were lost now twice, once when the human caravan left, and then when the dwarven caravan left. I sold them some masterpiece roasts.
The export wealth calculation fix involved retaining the items longer, and maybe it triggered the masterpiece loss.  I'll try to fix it all without screwing something else up for next time.

Ah, Dwarf Fortress. Where a fix can screw everything else over because you've tied everything together under the hood.

And we wouldn't have it any other way.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 05:49:23 am »

Ah, Dwarf Fortress. Where a fix can screw everything else over because you've tied everything together under the hood.

Funnily enough its not just the games designed this way, its often the fortresses as well.

Achanei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 07:02:55 am »

Funnily enough its not just the games designed this way, its often the fortresses as well.

NO USING THE SAME LEVER FOR ALL DRAWBRIDGES, THE MAGMA RELEASE AND ALL GOBLIN CAGES IS PERFECTLY ECONOMICAL

Leebears

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 04:52:02 pm »

I've been having this a lot in my most recent playthrough,
as my chief export is masterful roasts. The funny thing is, I was recently browsing my dwarves' crafts and engravings.  Somebody had made an image of my cook's roasts being destroyed via melting by dragonfire! There are only 2 dragons in my world, and I haven't encounteres either of them, nor have I lost any masterworks except to this bug.  This leads me to believe dwarves are becoming self-aware by either a) helping track down bugs or b) explaining processes in computer code with the only language they have.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 06:09:54 pm »

I've been having this a lot in my most recent playthrough,
as my chief export is masterful roasts. The funny thing is, I was recently browsing my dwarves' crafts and engravings.  Somebody had made an image of my cook's roasts being destroyed via melting by dragonfire! There are only 2 dragons in my world, and I haven't encounteres either of them, nor have I lost any masterworks except to this bug.  This leads me to believe dwarves are becoming self-aware by either a) helping track down bugs or b) explaining processes in computer code with the only language they have.
Maybe they really, really hated the roast and shoved it in a crevice somewhere. The dragonfire cover-up was to spare the chef's feelings.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 08:07:34 pm »

Maybe the trade caravan that bought the masterwork roast ran into one of the two dragons on its way to the mountain home.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Leebears

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 12:28:18 am »

Maybe the trade caravan that bought the masterwork roast ran into one of the two dragons on its way to the mountain home.

I was wondering about that.  I get the "materwork has been lost"  message as soon as the first wagon leaves the map, though.  I'm not sure exactly how/when the game generates events that happen outside your embark area.  The exported/offerings numbers in the status and civ screens all seem correct, i.e. the masterworks that get lost are being counted as being exported/offered, but I'm not sure if those numbers get tallied before the goods actually make it to their destination.  If it isn't a bug, I guess that dragon has been sitting a few tiles offscreen for seven years, waiting for the inevitable caravan to pass by so he can melt some more masterworks.  I'll check his legends page after I retire this fort and see what it says there.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 12:55:03 am »

Or maybe "melted by dragonfire" is the first element in the set of possible reasons, and since the bad feeling from trading away masterworks is known to be a bug in .06, the reason may not be getting properly set, so it defaults to the first possible reason.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Leebears

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 01:26:22 am »

I just checked the dragon's page in legends mode, and sure enough, after the usual 200 years of striking down various elves, humans and dwarves, she's got a couple of pages of melting masterworks.  All of said melting apparently took place in the fort I was playing at the time.  I definitely would have noticed if that was actually happening. 

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 01:59:11 am »

Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: [1] 2 3