Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Four-Way Minecart Switch  (Read 1945 times)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Four-Way Minecart Switch
« on: February 14, 2016, 03:18:14 pm »

Does anybody have any ideas for a lever-operated way to switch a minecart from any direction to any direction? (A 3-way system would also be usable.)

It's an important component of the cunning plan I've been working on since November.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Four-Way Minecart Switch
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:28:45 pm »

I haven't really played with minecarts too much, so take this idea with a grain of salt, but how about a "traffic circle" arrangement with a separate lever for each departure direction?
Akur Akir Akam!

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 03:31:26 pm »

Yeah. I'm thinking about some kind of 'Dwarven Roundabout'.
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

gnidan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 01:35:40 pm »

You can switch destinations by using a roller. The track setup is a bit weird: see DFWiki Minecart page at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Minecart#Switching

Basically, you have a T shape with your track:

Code: [Select]
   ║
═══╚═══

This shows the track for a minecart that enters on the left and exits on the top or the right.

Build a roller that pushes westward on the L square.

When the roller is off, nothing happens: the cart will derail and then continue traveling to the right.

When the roller is on, the cart derails, ends up on the L, and then the roller pushes it west, which then makes it turn northward.

Make sense?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 02:01:53 pm »

I swear I'm gonna have to kill every single animal in the fort just to stop them from jamming the minecarts.

gnidan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 02:53:43 pm »

I swear I'm gonna have to kill every single animal in the fort just to stop them from jamming the minecarts.

It's a real pain, but you can build walls around your minecart track and use pressure plate operated doors to let the carts in but not your breeding stock of grizzly bears.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 03:15:45 pm »

It's a real pain, but you can build walls around your minecart track and use pressure plate operated doors to let the carts in but not your breeding stock of grizzly bears.

What about a raising bridge? Don't those act as tracks as well? Can you have a pressure plate that only opens for carts?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

gnidan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 04:39:12 pm »

What about a raising bridge? Don't those act as tracks as well? Can you have a pressure plate that only opens for carts?

They do. I haven't taken that approach personally, so I'm not sure what options that approach provides.

Pressure plates can be set to trigger on track (b-T-p-T). With the default weights, it triggers any time any cart hits the p.p., but not for creatures or fluid or anything else.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 05:54:41 pm »

Walls are not an option. LOS is... important.

gnidan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 06:21:59 pm »

Walls are not an option. LOS is... important.

ooo, well that sounds very... !!exciting!!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 12:47:29 pm »

The trouble with using pressure plates and bridges is that they have a 100 tick delay before raising/lowering. So you have to have your bridge quite a ways after the pressure plate, to give it time to operate. And all that space is likely to be full of cats/dogs/wombats/war giant grizzly bears. Doors operate pretty much instantly.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 11:29:11 am »

Rollers, doors and high-speed carts, hatch covers over track ramps ... several good options to switch traffic (read this: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Larix/MPL/1#Basics_of_track_switching).
You will need to construct more than a single switching mechanism. It isn't even very difficult, just hard to tell you something useful without knowing what kind of application you have in mind.

Statues are your friend to avoid meat on tracks.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 05:32:30 pm »

It's for what I hope to be the eventual version of this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156345.0

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 04:19:59 am »

Two levers, three switchable elements. Put one switch down, put the other two switches each on one of the outgoing lines. Link lever 1 to the first switch, link lever 2 to both second line switches. Two levers have 4 states (leftleft,leftright,rightleft,rightright), each state corresponds to cart leaving on one of four lines.