Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Story of Olinning - Toy Land  (Read 5309 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Story of Olinning - Toy Land
« on: February 23, 2016, 06:08:18 pm »

Dwarf Fortress 42_06 : Toy Land

It was the 15th of Granite, the year 950, when the seven Dwarfs of the Crafts of Rope finally found the spot.  The beach to the east was wet sand with driftwood half-buried here and there.  To the west, north, and south the landscape rose up to forest of many types of trees - including many fruit trees.  They had stopped the wagon in a tiny dale made of half sand and half grass.

Spoiler: Party (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

"This would be a perfect place," said Besmar Onulsazir as the sixty-two year old Expedition Leader stopped the wagon being pulled by a horse and a yak cow.  She glanced over the party and added,  "Between the sea and the woods.  Fuel and food at our doorstep."

Spoiler: Besmar (click to show/hide)

Rovod Semorshem, the eighty-five year old Fisherdwarf, was already pulling out his fishing rod.  He was a rare sight among Dwarfs as he was skinny.  He was looking forward to see what he could catch in the sea.

Spoiler: Rovod (click to show/hide)

Uzol Umerkogan, the sixty-nine year old Woodworker, was already pulling out her axe.  "We'll need wood for beds as soon as possible," she pointed out as she checked the axe's edge.  The cave spider silk cap and hood she wore kept the sun off her shaved head.

Spoiler: Uzol (click to show/hide)

Olin Gebarushat, a fifty-five year old Mason, was also pulling out some fishing gear.  It looked like he also planned to test out the waters.  He appearance always seemed to amuse people as his beard, hair, and moustache were all long and braided.  BUT he kept his side-burns clean-shaven.

Spoiler: Olin (click to show/hide)

Urist Ablelnar, another  fifty-nine year old Mason, was waiting by the wagon for orders.  She watched Olin with some amusement wondering what he was up to?  Her hair was short and neatly combed.

Spoiler: Urist (click to show/hide)

ushrir Gearink, the sixty-two year old Hunter, was also picking up his gear.  He was very fat but this seemed to be linked to the fact that he loved to consume a great MANY things - including giant kiwis, goat cheese, and sewer brew. 

Spoiler: ushrir (click to show/hide)

The last member of The Crafts of Rope Minkot Zaskokeb, the fifty-seven year old Farmer, was also waiting for orders, like Urist, and just trying to keep an eye on the livestock the Dwarfs had brought with them from The Pick of Kissing,- their Mountainhome.  Well, ex-Mountainhome.

Spoiler: Minkot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Livestock (click to show/hide)

"Let us strike the earth!" exclaimed Besmar with a grin.  "I announce the founding of Tongsburns* and it is time to start building."  This last was directed towards the party but her eyes seemed to focus on Olin with great amusement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nobles of  The Pick of Kissing had a wonderful idea one day while discussing the meaning of life over a barrel of wine.  Not a very good barrel of wine but it was wine.  And Dwarfs loved their drink.

The Founders had been drinking heavily when they founded the outpost that would become The Pick of Kissing.  And very heavily when they named it.

A drunk idea was always the best idea as they say in Kissing.  They had many drunk ideas in Kissing - as Dwarfs from other Mountainhomes will tell you.   And this was a brand new idea.  They wanted a new colony.  But not one that produced weapons or armor.  Not one that produced food or clothing.  No, not even one that produced gems or coins.

They wanted a new settlement that would corner the TOY market!  They decided they would send out seven members to found an outpost that would make toys.  Toys would be the export of the new settlement.  It was a great idea!

The next morning the idea did not sound so great to the rest of the populace.  But within every city there were Dwarfs willing to try something new.  Or, in other words, Dwarfs who hated their dead-end jobs, Dwarfs who were bored with cleaning the hallways, Dwarfs who wanted a fresh start.  In the end there was always Dwarfs willing to escape the old life to start a new one. 

So seven Dwarfs stepped forward and soon the party, known as The Crafts of Rope, left the gates of the city.   

And so starts the story of Tongsburns, where the Dwarfs will try to survive to become the greatest Toy Makers of the world!

* In the language of the Dwarfs' this is pronounced : Olinning

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I have posted stories about events that had happened in my Fortresses I have never decided to write a story from the start - my first full length novel as it were.  The rules I will follow are simple.

1.  All exports are toys.  No mugs - those are for the tavern.  No crafts.  Just toy exports.  Made of wood or stone. 

2.  I must try to make my Dwarfs happy.  No social experiments.  No killing unwanted babies.  I must try to do my best to make a secure, well built outpost, so that they don't just survive but prosper.

I am playing on a large map with a LONG history so there should be a lot of historical events and individuals.   And not a lot of FPS. 

I have also picked a place where I HOPE my Dwarfs will be able to get a good start before enemies start to show up.  Therefore it area was selected not for its metal, it has some, not for the view, it is nice, but for being a peaceful region with trees and water and warm weather.

The story will be told in third-person, second-person, and even first-person points of view.  I will try to make it image light because I feel that takes away from the writing, to be honest.

So join me for long boring chapters about farming and carpentry mixed in with short moments of humor and horror.  Or maybe not.  Just starting and who knows what will happen.  This is, after all, Dwarf Fortress.  And Dwarf Fortress...Dwarf Fortress never changes.  Oh wait, wrong game....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:38:21 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Olinning - Toy Land
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 09:42:24 pm »

Olinning Outpost Journal of Spring, 950
Written by Besmar Onulsazir

15th of Granite.  My first act as the Leader was to order the digging of the first level where the trade depot will be.  Which I did myself because I seem to be the only miner.  I also, of course, ordered the cutting down of some of the trees - but I made sure they didn’t cut down any of the nearby fruit trees.  We will need them.  For fruit.  Uzol the Woodworker started that job.  She only had to cut down three trees.  They produced a ton of logs.

Olin and Rovod went fishing.  I don’t mind.  We will need food.  But we don’t even have a kitchen yet to cook them in! 

ushrir, our Hunter, is already complaining about nothing to hunt!

I dug down, through the sand after making the first level chamber for the future trade depot, and started the next level and found clay.  CLAY!  Still, we needed rooms and clay walls will have to do.

16th of Slate. The second level is finished, for now.  Some storage, the kitchen, the still, butcher shop, farmer’s workshop, carpenter’s workshop, mason’s workshop, and the craftsdwarf’s workshop.  And two 3 by 2 farming plots.

Spoiler: Second Level (click to show/hide)

Oh, and Rovod is no longer a Fisherdwarf.  Seems the fresh water ponds don’t have any fish.  He is now a Herbalist.  Well, I guess nobody wants to fish directly from the SEA.  Idiots. At least Olin is now working in the shops.  On the other hand he seems to think the outpost was named after him and likes to brags about it.  Whatever. 

What I want to know is why do we still have a Hunter if Minkot can’t find any prey? 

The third level had been started, where I plan to have the animals we can bring under ground.  If I don’t find stone soon we may end up living in clay rooms!  And I know how the rest of them will whine about that.  ‘Oh, the worms will get into my mouth!  Oh no, the wet clay will ruin my boots.  Oh, the moister will make my throat itch.’   Why did I pick this job?

23rd of Slate. YES!  I started the fourth level and, thank the Gods, there is stone under my pick!  And some gems to boot!  The third level, by the way, had been finished.  Just need the doors!  And nests.  And, well, maybe other things.  Oh, and we have wooden mugs now!  No more getting booze up our noses and backwash from the other Dwarfs. 

Spoiler: Third Level (click to show/hide)

9th of Felsite. Finally started on the bedrooms and made one office for the bookkeeper and manager who is now Urist Ablelnar.  No more guessing about our stock.  At east everybody seems to be working hard now.  I guess it was a good thing many of them have multiply skills.  No excuse to idle.  Well, no place to idle but don't worry, once I finish the bedroom I plan to start on the dining room.

14th of Felsite.  We finally have bedrooms.  Well, we have roughly carved out stone rooms each with a bed in it.  Nothing much.  But we’re working on it.    I now order the crafting of toys.  Rock and wooden toys.  Fuck the Elves.

I am so happy to have a bed.  And so are the other.  Amazingly, we are doing okay on drink and have some cooked meals but it was the rain that really seemed to bug people the most.  And that sun.  I have found people eating and sleeping outside?  The horror...it will be nice to live underground like civilized people and not like...well, humans.

We also added some more rooms to the second level to add some more workshops.  A fishery has been made to process what fish they already caught and future fish.

24th of Felsite.  Oh, my.  It seems the idiots finally realized that the sea has fish in it and have decided to fish in a area where the sandy cliffs have collapsed into the sea which allows them access to it.  I mean, access to it without falling in.  About time.  At this point all we have for the kitchen is rare plump helmets and garden cress leaves.  And we don’t cook the plump helmets.

Spoiler: Fishing (click to show/hide)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 11:22:31 pm »

Ptw. Here's to making things interesting.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 11:40:11 pm »

PTW

Player111444

• Bay Watcher
  • I Fight for Nod!! POWER:30 PEACE:35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 01:29:02 am »

Toy Land Sounds Promising i want see the future of your fortress and your toy empire

PTW
It's been a long time old friend.

Not a fan of CnC Rivals.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 02:49:47 pm »

Dear Family,

It's Olin, your favorite son.  Just letting you know I have survived the journey to our new outpost.  Named after me, by the way. Olinning!  Great name, don't you think!  Bet you never knew I would be so famous, right?  Did you?  Why don't you love me! 

I write this letter at the end of summer and the start of the autumn season to tell you the tale of my outpost.

I have to say, without me many of this Dwarfs would have starved to death.  It was early summer, you see, and everybody was grumbling about the lack of food.  So I pointed out that the sea had a ton of fish and went out there with my fishing rod.  Now, I know I am a Mason.  But we just hit the stone only a few weeks ago so there has been little work for me to do.  Outside of the normal work in the shops, you know, toys and stuff.  They never thank me.  Why won't they thank me?

Anyway, I got us some raw cuttlefish and squid.  Good eating.   Well, once you cook them.  Well, me and Rovod got the cuttlefish and squid.  Seems he still fishes besides becoming a Dwarf of Herbal Knowledge (as he likes to call himself).  He is a friend.  Well, we're all friends.  At least they say they are my friend.  He was really annoyed lately by the lack of chairs and the fact that he had to sleep on the earth before the beds were finished.  But at least we have the booze. 

They also finally got some eggs from the chickens and turkeys.  Now that they have nests to put the eggs in.  Of course, once we are more stable in the food department they will lock the birds into their pens and let the eggs hatch. 

That means more eggs, meat and, of course with turkeys, leather.  That was my idea of course.  May take some time to get enough pigs to start butchering them for meat.  We didn't have a proper herd for that yet - not this early in the year anyway. 

We could have butchered the draft animals but I think the Leader planned to save them for an emergency.  I don’t want to tell her how to do her job.  But I feel maybe a male’s touch is needed around here.  We only have ONE miner!  Who planned this?   Why don't they ever listen to me?  I know best!  I know best!

I mean, I could make for a fine Leader.  Not sure why she is the Leader.  Besmar never does anything but dig and talk about digging. I mean, I know that miners are respected in our culture but anybody can mine.  Just because I don't choose to mine they laugh at me.  Oh, not in front of me but they laugh.  I know they do.  I know they do!

Anyway, they finished building the jeweler's workshop by the 5th of Hematite and started cutting milk quartz.  Not sure why - we don't plan to sell it.  Unless they plan to use it to make the place look pretty.

By then we were all getting a tad sick at eating only cave lobster biscuits and horse heart biscuits - the last of the supplies we had brought with us.  I think...not sure where they got the prepared horse hearts.  So it had to be in the wagon which was already broken down. 

Spoiler: Prepared Meals (click to show/hide)

Urist has been acting so important.  Wearing two hats - well, not real hats.  But they made her a manager and a bookkeeper.  All she does all day is walk about, tying knots in string, to keep track of inventory, and when she is not walking about she is in that tiny office of hers   She had some weird mood swings.  She likes her work but swears she was accosted by some oysters.  Good grief, we live by the SEA!  Of course we have oysters.  Funny enough, I can't find them.  They would make good eating.  Maybe they are hiding.  Hiding from me.

The worst part is she is in LOVE.  With ushrir, the Hunter, who never seems to hunt.  They make me sick.

On the 13th of Hematite Besmar told me I would also have to learn how to clean and dissect fish.  It seems I have to DO everything around here!  Oh, and around that time they finished making the Trade Depot.  I was not impressed.  Not even a statue or anything around it to make it look nice.  Still, it was underground out of the rain.  Which is good, I guess.  Also, by then we had caught some flounders to add to our list of fish to eat.

Spoiler: Trade Depot (click to show/hide)

On the 18th of Hematite we spotted a Giant Slug.  What the heck?  Well, I have been told it is mostly harmless and that at least it can be hunted.  Not that our great Hunter did anything about it.

They hadn't finished the dining area by the 27th of Hematite, even after moving in some chairs and putting the food there.  Oh, and we have flies and stuff in there going after the food.  Darn it, this place sucks.  I should be in charge!  At least the slug was gone by then.  It had been replaced by a Giant Mosquito who had been spotted buzzing about.  I have been told that it was a female.  Who checked?  What a place. 

We have more workshops than we do Dwarfs!  At least we have a ton of drinks and enough food to last the winter when it hits.   I hope.  And they were talking about building a temple.  We didn't even have tables in the dining room, at the time, and they were talking about temples! 

On the 3rd of Malachite they finally finished the dining area.  Now they just needed to make some tables for it  And more chairs.  And somehow get the vermin out!  Also, it needed a door.  Okay, maybe it is not REALLY finished at the time.

On the 4th of Malachite Besmar ran into damp stone. But not under her feet - but in the direction of the beach.  She figured as long as she stayed away from the beach and dug deeper, she could keep going deeper and making small areas for other projects - like the temples and burial chambers.  Of course, if I had picked our embark point we would not have this problem. 

Well, at least the cherry trees and plum trees and other trees looked nice in full bloom.  It was kind of pretty and, outside of the giant insects, we seemed safe enough.

Spoiler: Lovely Trees (click to show/hide)

After giving the two chicken hens a second nest, on the 19th of Malachite, they locked the door to their pen.  The idea was nobody will accidentally collect the eggs and they should hatch.  Of course, they will need more pens for the future chickens and more nest boxes. 

On the 27th of Malachite the folks working outside announced they saw some approaching Dwarfs.  That's right folks, we had new citizens!  Why?  We hadn't even traded with anybody yet - how do they know it was even worth coming? Why would migrants come here?  I still don't understand that. 

The new arrivals were Tirist Regkubuk,  Nomal Stakudkeskal, Zuntir Bermudun, and Kadol Esmulolin, all Fishery Workers, plus Ral Zatthuddatan, a Engineer, and Urist Oddomsolon, a Farmer.  Nomal is married to the engineer NOT to another Fishery Worker like you may think.  Urist is married to Tirist which also seemed weird to me.  People should marry people just like them.  Zuntir and Kadol were married to each other - as they should be.  Of course it was decided to make the married couples each share a room.  So three extra large ones were ordered to be dug out.  So many Dwarfs.  they plan to take my jobs.  My jobs!

Oh, and two kids named Aban and Rimtar also arrived.  Seem to belong to Urist and Tirist.  It was decided to give the kids each a room of their own.  With them came a lamb and a baby llama.  It was decided they were to be kept outside with the yak and horse.  Why do the kids each get a room?  When I was a kid I had to sleep on the ground with the puppies.  Why didn't you love me?

All these new citizens.  NOW I do worry about our food and drink.  Do we have enough for me?  What about me?  Will somebody think about me?!?!

Spoiler: New People (click to show/hide)

By then the Giant Snail was back.  I wondered at the time if it was good eating?  Hey, even I could get sick of seafood. 

Of course, that means by the 3rd of Galena, we had a LOT of fishing going on.  Oh God.  Some of them were even catching nautiluses.  I thought those things went extinct?  I mean, I am pretty sure they were.

On the 22nd of Galena the turkeys were locked in after receiving their second next box.  Now we just have to wait for the eggs to hatch and make more rooms to hold all those chicks!  Of course that meant sea food would be the only thing on the menu for the rest of the season.  And by then there was a Giant Louse running about on the beach.  Where do this things come from?  The kids don’t seem to even notice it - one likes to play make believe in the dining room with the cats.  Don’t we have TOYS someplace?  Who is making the toys?  I am SURE they will blame me.

By the 23rd of Galena everybody had a bed to their name.  Well, not the couples, they had to share.  Even though many of us were still waiting for doors and cabinets.  Still, I guess it was nice for the new comers to have a stone ceiling over their bed and a mug to drink with.  Once we finished making the mugs for everybody.

Well, time to fold the letter, drip on the sealing wax, put on the address and send it.

Your loving son,

Olin Gebarushat

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 04:43:31 pm »

Dear Diary,

It is the 1st of Limestone, 950, and I feel great!  Me and Urist are doing wonderful!

Our love grows larger and more powerful with each passing day.  Her soft round body, her hooked nose, her high voice.  Oh, be still my heart. 

Oh, sorry about that.  Just thinking of my lovely-dove.  Autumn has come.  The bird pens have been locked but we have many Dwarfs skilled at wrestling the fish from the ocean.  So food should not be a problem for now.  We have a TON of raw fish to process.

Which is good because there is little prey for me in these parts.  Outside of giant bugs.  They seem harmless enough.   They don't approach us nor seem to show interest in our above-ground livestock.  Even the children play outside and show no fear towards the large creatures.

I think Olin is sick.  Whenever me and my love is around him he seems to act ill.

Dear  Diary,

It is the 3rd of Limestone and the Leader has ordered the bedrooms smoothed out.  She has also ordered more stepladders made - I assume so we may gather fruit from the trees when they ripen.  She also ordered me to make mechanisms.  I guess I am the only one with the skills needed to make them. 

Today I noticed Aban, one of the kids, playing with a chert toy axe.  Isn't that cool.  When he isn't playing he likes to sing and dance and drink.  Well, we all like to drink. 

Dear Diary,

I am SO excited!  Today is the 11th of Limestone and not only did our outpost Liaison show up, somebody called Zasit Atistimnar from the Pick of Kissing, BUT a caravan came with him.

Problem is we don't have a broker so our Leader picked Ral, our Engineer, as the new broker.  Seems he knows a lot about...well, stuff dealing with value and stuff.  You know, hmm, negotiating and persuading and that kind of stuff. 

He ordered all crafts to the depot.  I'm not sure how many are TOYS.  I suggested we also try to sell the small cut gems but he shook his head at me.  "Maybe we will sell those to the Elves.  But these traders are Dwarfs and we want them to know us as Toy Makers.  Got it?  Get it?  Good!  Move!  Move!  Move!"

The outpost Liaison is weird.  He was checking out the pig pen.  What's up with that?  I assume he wants to know what we have and have not, to better deal with our needs.  Or he likes pigs. 

Dear Diary,

It is the 14th of Limestone and things do not go well.

It turns out we don't have any toys yet.  The Leader was upset.  Seems nobody has gotten to it yet.  All we have is one bracelet made out of wood.  But she decided to keep the gems for the future - just in case and told our broker to do his best.

He exchanged it for a piece of giant ostrich leather.  I am not sure the caravan is happy with us. 

Spoiler: Trading (click to show/hide)

The Liaison has been in a meeting with Besmar (after exploring our outpost).  The news is mostly about kidnappings and that the Pagedgifted was conquered by the Undignified Seductions.  I don't know anything about history or politics so I don't know what to say about that.  I was kind of ease dropping so it's not like I could ask.

But from what I do know is Besmar asked nothing from the Mountainhome.  Seems, according to her, whatever you ask for would be delivered at double the cost.  Better to try to do without OR hope they bring it with them and buy it on the cheap then order it and pay an arm and a leg.  At least that's her logic.

The Mountainhomes seem to want many things.  War hammers, rings, so on.  They also want seeds and fish which, if we broke our own rules, we could supply them by the ton.  But...I sense Besmar...er..I mean the Leader REALLY wants to try to export toys. 

Dear Diary,

Oh my GOD!  It is the 18th of Limestone and the dogs have given birth to a puppy!  It has been decided to train him...though nobody is an animal trainer among us, that I know of. 

Also the pigs and the chickens have given birth.  We have a ton of chicks and some piglets!  The chicks will be removed to another to allow the hens to grow into adults and give the hens some room.  Put too many animals in a small space and they get into fights. 

The Leader has also ordered the horse butchered.  Seems the cook, Minkot the farmer, is complaining there is nothing to cook - even with all the raw fish and eggs and stuff.

Spoiler: Too Much Fish? (click to show/hide)

Dear Diary,

It is the 22nd of Limestone and the Leader has had the second level expanded.  She wanted more space for more workshops - or secondary workshops.  Seems she is worried about...er..bottle necks.  Whatever that means.  Also we are working on barracks and what may be the first temple. 

She has also decided our dining area is now a tavern called the Organized Garnishes.  Er...sounds okay I guess.  She wants the walls smoothed out and is talking about making it open to travelers.  Not sure anybody is happy with that, to be honest.  Winter is coming.

It seems the Liaison has not left yet as he is now in the tavern.  Seems he needs to relax.  I wonder who will become the tavern keeper?

Dear Diary,

It is the 1st of Sandstone.  What is a coati?  Seems we have it and the Giant Snail again, running about outside.   Should I be scared?

Oh, and they killed the horse.  Ewww.  Also the Leader has demanded we build a kiln and a glass furnace.  It seems with all the clay and sand around we could easily make pottery and glass items. 

Dear Diary,

Oh wow!  It is the 8th of Sandstone and it seems the Leader and a axedwarf from the caravan got into a fight with the coati.  I guess they ARE dangerous or something.  Either way, it got weird because the axedwarf also charged our Leader.  I am not sure WHY.  But it stopped right then and there - I guess the guard realized the mistake and backed down. 

Spoiler: Accident? (click to show/hide)

Well, at least we don't have just seafood on the menu anymore.  Prepared Horse Eye Biscuits!  Well, it is still better than hen egg biscuits, and garden cress leaf biscuits, and raw squid biscuits. 

Dear Diary,

It is the 13th of Sandstone and the merchants are leaving.  I guess that is a good thing that we know that traders can get to us. 

Dear Diary,

Oh my GOD!  It is the 14th of Limestone and we have a visiting Dwarf bard.  Name of Shorast Logemunol.  I wonder if he came because of the tavern?  Oh, and the Liaison has not left yet.  Kind of getting on our nerves to be honest.     

Dear Diary,

Oh boy.  It is the 18th of Sandstone and the bard made things worse.   Once he starting tells stories the Liaison felt even less like leaving.  Then the Liaison felt the need to tall the bard a story.  They are exchanging tall tales in the tavern. 

Also the Leader has named our first temple.  The Temple of Authors!  Er..kind of a interfaith temple.  Anybody can go to it. 

They are also talking about music.  I mean, making stuff to make music, like drums and pipes.  For the tavern and the temple.  I think. 

I miss hunting.

Dear Diary,

It is the 2nd of Timber and right after the Leader had ordered digging out a new room to make a hospital (which she has to do herself) and the future planning on how to get fresh water to the chamber (we assume we will have to try to drain some of the above ponds into a water tank) new Dwarfs arrived!

Their names are Alath Zuntiril, a Carpenter , Libash Fikodshar, a Ranger (and the Carpernter‘s husband), Fikod Ducimudiz, a Metalsmith, Kubuk Asmelomrist, a Miller (and the Metalsmith’s wife), Olon Letmoskeshshak, a Gem Cutter, Zas Desisiral, a Spinner (the Gem Cutter‘s wife),  Solon Sakziltaron, a Leatherworker, Goden Avuztakuth, a Farmer (the Leatherworker’s husband), Nish Fikodarban, a Milker,  Lolor Akrulginon, a Soap Maker and Medtob Shammancatten, a Fish Cleaner (who worships at least 8 Gods and even has a object of worship).  Oh, and two new kids names of Fikod and Sarvesh. 

This means more bedrooms.  Four rooms for married couples and five single rooms.

They all seem a tad sad about being here.  Many left family behind.  Of course the second they arrived the Leader made Medtob the performer for the Temple of Authors.  And as we don’t really need a Ranger Libash was made into the Sheriff!  So we also need a big office.

Maybe it will cheer them up to have a temple and a tavern?

They also came with a pet lamb and a stray duckling.  The lamb will join the livestock on the surface while the duckling will join the chicks till it is old enough to eat.

Dear Diary,

It is the 6th of Timber and a human has arrived.  Guki Tiquaucaf.  A Human Spearman.   Boy, is he ugly. 

Dear Diary,

Oh the horror!  It is the 7th of Timber and we are being visited by a Elf Crossbowman!  Name of Quesa Ranemarbok!  I wonder if we should hide our children?  Will somebody think of the children!

Spoiler: Strangers (click to show/hide)

Anyway, the Leader has ordered the two levers be built to be linked to two small bridges we will make.  The bridges will be placed on the first level, one on each side of the depot, to make what she calls an airlock.

Dear Diary,

It is the 16th of Timber.  Many of the new bedrooms have beds and the office for the new sheriff is kind of, well, not really furnished with what he would like.  Also he wants his own dining room.  Oh, and the cats had a kitten. 

Dear Diary,

It is the 26th of Timber.  The leaves are all changing and we can hear the roars of the Giant Snail as the new Sheriff hunts it down.  The times, they are a changing.   Did anybody bother to collect fruit?  I don’t notice any fruit in our stores.

Also, it seems the bard, Shorast, is leaving us.  Maybe if we add a few beds to the tavern they will stay longer?  The Liaison has also left us.  Only the Human and Elf remind and all they do is tell tales and socialize.

Dear Diary,

It is the 28th and the sheriff is bringing in his kill.  The Giant Snail is dead.  And winter is almost here.

I am happy I have my love.  Otherwise I might be depressed.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 04:51:18 pm »

TO: The Great Publishing Company of Sanford & Son

What Ho Mr. Sanford my dear human friend and partner!  It is me, Libash “Glazedmiles”, you greatest author!

Greetings from the outpost of Olinning!  What follows is the continuing adventures of yours truly, the Dwarf with the skills that pays the bills, Libash Fikodshar, Ranger, now a citizen of this small, out-of-the-way, settlement. 

Now, where did my last letter end?  Oh yes, after escaping from the hands of the Evil Troll King, Vadar, saved by his own Princess Daughter, Mary Sue, who of course fell in love with me but was killed while we fled, taking an arrow to her heart for me, I decided to join a bunch of migrants. 

After many more dangers, which I saved everybody from, we finally arrived at the outpost where, the female Leader, took one look at me and decided to make me the Sheriff.  Who won't make me the Sheriff with my muscles and good looks?  Too bad for them, the ladies anyway, I’m married to the lovely “Anvilword“. 

So now I am no longer a Ranger but a Sheriff.  A step up, a Noble position, among these simple frontier folks.

They, at once, started to dig out my new bedroom, office, dining room, and, of course, a cell to hold prisoners.  I don't see any problems with crime - they already worship me.  As they should. 

My first duty was, of course, to kill the Giant Snail.  An evil beast, of great size and speed, who has terrorized the poor people of the outpost for over a year.  It was a struggle, I had to put many bolts into it, sometimes at close range.  Yes, very dangerous to do, but in the end I killed it.  Then I carried its corpse back to the outpost for butchering.    Olin came out to help collect my bolts.  Fine fellow.  I think I will give him the honor of cleaning my bismuth bronze crossbow. 

Winter had come and, yet, these poor folks, mostly in the fishing industry, have failed to gather one piece of fruit.  Well, nobody can be as smart and as vigorous as me, so who can blame them?

It seems the little things make these people happy.  On the 2nd of Moonstone, for example, the poults - turkey chicks - hatched.  Not sure what the big deal is about that but the folks here seemed happy.

It also seems they have designed two tiny bedrooms for the tavern.  Not with any doors, just a bed in a tiny 2 by 1 room.  Simple is the word in this place.  No wonder they are amazed and excited to see me.  Well, not ushrir, the Hunter who does not hunt.  When he heard I have killed the snail he seemed....depressed.  No doubt jealous of me.

Shortly after that a human bowman, named Ijam something-or-other, came to visit the outpost.  They say it is here to visit the tavern but I assume it is to meet me and stand in awe before me.  They also say, from what they can tell, that it is a female.  Her hair is the color of pumpkin and her skin is that of cinnamon.  And she had COPPER eyes.  Amazing.  I assume her appearance is common where you live?  I can only assume that like other female creatures, female humans just can't fight my animal magnetism.

It seems there are a few...visitors...in the tavern.  One is a ELF.  Yes, I had to keep my mouth shut around IT.  Well, you know how we and those tree huggers get along with each other.  We don’t.

Also, after explaining to them about how stepladders work the Leader finally got them to collect some cherries and asparagus and rhubarbs and pecans.  Not a lot but every little bit helps.  Too bad their drinks are somewhat limited here.  We have wine, ale, and beer.  That’s it. 

By the 15th of Moonstone I realized that winter here means raining.  All.  The. Time.  The Leader's plan to drain one of the bigger the ponds into a water tank seems to be valid as the rain, over the year, could refill them.  If they can do it without drowning everyone.  The water tank will be built under the hospital - if it is ever finished.

It seems they plan to build a chamber under a pond and use a support to collapse it.  After sealing up the tunnels of course - so not to flood the colony.  I am not sure they know what they are doing.  We’ll see.

I think I finally offended the ELF by the 2nd Opal as it is leaving.  Along with one of the humans - spearman or something like that. 

Also, I saw a weird sight.  Did you know pigs could be milked?  Neither did I.  Anyhow, at least the menu was expanding.  Well, they have even more fish dishes then before.

Things became scary when on the 7th of Opal, Kadol Esmulolin was taken by a mood and withdrew from society.  Not that I was scared, of course.  No, no.  But the Leader decided, just in case something went wrong, to form up the city guard.  Me and a few fisherdwarfs.  Part time militia in other words.  Weekend enforcers.  I named us The Geared Angels!   I like it.  It also means I am now also the Militia Commander AND the Sheriff.    I was soon teaching archery to my comrades as we waited for the all clear or to be called out to do our duty. 

Anyway, the fisherdwarf, took over a craftdwarf's workshop and she started running about, searching for material.  Then she started to work while singing some strange sounding song.  Something about Misty Mountains and such.

After what seemed like forever (in fact it was the 13th of Opal) she finally presented the item she had been working on.  "Behold!" she said.  "Ritholokil, a highwood amulet!"

Spoiler: Ritholokil (click to show/hide)

It looked fancy and the others say it is worth 4800 in credit.  Not bad for one item.  Could prove useful when the next caravan comes to the region.  Unless somebody grabs it to wear. 

And it started to rain again.  I have to tell you, it is horrible on my good looks.  My hair is lifeless!

Funny enough many of the Dwarfs, such as my wife, have no issues going out in the rain to fish and gather.  In fact, due to the mild weather, there is still fruits and other items available for gathering in the forest.  Even in the middle of winter.  This means we now also have apple cider, cherry wine AND plum wine to go with our pig cheese and fish dishes. 

Spoiler: Drinks Available (click to show/hide)

On the 21st one of the Dwarfs was upset.  Seems the duckling has gotten up into a tree and nobody can get it down to return it back to the chick pen.  Funny, even with a door the chicks keep escaping the pen.  I have heard rumors of spy chickens but I have always thought of those rumors as silly.  Maybe they have something to them.

It also seems Uzol, a Carpenter, is smoothing out the tavern walls and floors.  Does anybody DO what their title says or do they just do what they want? 

Of course, I spent much of my time teaching Nomal and Zuntir, my Recruits, how to use their crossbows.

On the 28th the Hunter became a Herbalist.  No doubt feeling overshadowed the legend that is ME he needed to move on to something he could handle.  Picking fruit.  What Ho!

Also seems, for a time, he was enraged.  Seems he was sulking because he couldn't pray to Arel, his deity, since arriving here.  Not that a drink didn't help.  Yeah, he got drunk.  Like all good Dwarfs who need something to help with life.  Can't blame him - we DO only have one temple.

Also, by late winter, the folks outside noticed some albatrosses flying about.  I wonder if they are good eating?  Getting sick of squid, salmon, and shad. 

Seems they need more logs and the Leader has ordered the cutting down of two trees.  It seems they have failed yet to start a clay or glass industry.  They really should start on them.  I need something that reflects light so I can make sure my face is as handsome as ever.   

On the 9th of Obsidian another human showed up.  Kozi Dasmiraguv, an Axeman, has been sighted.  How the Dwarfs know his name on sight is beyond me.  This folks sometimes scare me.  Well, not really.  Nothing scares me, of course.  What Ho!  Also, a human bard, named Mutle Gislaronum (how do this people do that) had also arrived.  And the bard is female.  And they say her eyes are chocolate.  Ewww!

Also, the farmers started to complain.  Seems we may be low on plump helmet spawn.  Horrible management if you ask me!

Shortly after that a proper bard showed up.  A Dwarf named Fath Ducimsanreb. 

Outside of that not much happened until late winter.  Too many jobs and not enough Dwarfs to do them.  You know how it is with local rural folks.  Always trying to impress the Legends, such as myself, and overreaching themselves. 

On the 18th the Dwarfs on the surface screamed out in alarm.  A giant louse was attacking ushrir, the Herbalist, and it was now my moment to shine!  Even while we grab our equipment the Leader assigns Lolor Akrulginon, the Soap Maker, as the new Chief Medical Dwarf.  Just in case.

Even before we got to the louse is was being attacked by the broker and the Performer.  Have to say, these folks are not willing to back down from a fight!

It seems the Herbalist was climbing into the trees to gather fruit and ran into the Giant Louse.  The other two came to help and they all exchanged blows.  The Louse got the worse of it.

In fact - The Geared Angels completely failed to kill it.  It was so heavily wounded by the attacking citizens that it fled across the tree tops.  In doing so it fell to the ground.  Where the left front leg split open from the impact.  Along with its head.  After a few moments, trying to walk, it bled out and died. 

Victory!  And Medtob, our temple performer, has claimed the kill.  Think about it.  Our Female Temple Dancer, our Priestess, has killed to defend our outpost.

The stuff of legends had been born!

Oh, in other news they finished the Kiln and Glass Furnace.  Of course, now they need a place to burn wood to make fuel but by next year we should have pots and green glass available.  Wonderful!  Its all coming together!  Too bad they don't have any empty bags to collect the sand or clay with.  Also, nobody has cut down those two trees yet.  How lazy are these people?

I look forward to your reply and also the knowledge that once again you will publish my adventures, with proper editing of course, and I will be receiving my percent of the profits.

While, time to go to the tavern.  I hear the human bard has a lovely voice.  Even a visiting ELVEN bard is listening to her. 

Yours in friendship and in partnership,

Libash Fikodshar The Adventurer  Extraordinaire

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 09:23:38 am »

End of the First Year Report From the Outpost of Tongsburns
To All Stockholders
By Urist Ablelnar
Manger and Bookkeeper
(Posted in the tavern)

Greetings to all Citizens of the Craft of Ropes Toy Company!  This is the end of the year report, a kind of summary all companies make for stockholders, employees, and office holders.

Spoiler: Basic Report (click to show/hide)

First off, the three Dwarfs who were in the fight with the Giant Louse are alive but my love is badly wounded.  ushrir has suffered damage to his right false rib and his left lung.   But he refuses medical help.

How brave!

Now, the Leader understands many of you are upset by the lack of temples and will focus this spring on making many smaller temples to different gods and goddess.  The digging will start as soon ass possible to create eight smaller rooms.

Also, we understand many of you don’t like this forest.  It does seem to rain a lot.  But it is better than a cold climate region.  And at least we have fish.  HA!  I joke. 

Spoiler: Current Menu (click to show/hide)

We also have wonderful horse meat biscuits, hen egg biscuits, and some asparagus stew!  Now, many of you are complaining that the meals are too simple and we will be correcting that soon.  We have a LOT of snail meat now and we plan to use it.  So you better like snail.  Lots of it.

The second level now has two Stills, two Carpenter’s Workshops, two Mason’s Workshops, two Craftdwarf’s Workshops, two Farmer’s Workshops, two Fisheries, a Butcher’s Workshop, a Kitchen, and a Tanner’s Shop.

The third level has the Bowyer’s Workshop, the Leather Works, the Mechanic’s Workshop, the Glass Furnace, and the Kiln.  The Loom, the Clothier’s Shop, and the Wood Furnace are still under construction. 

Now, on the fourth level we have the Jeweler’s Workshop, which does seem to be a weird place to put it, with all the bedrooms, dining rooms, and such.  And, yes, we have to pick a Tavern Keeper.  We KNOW!  Stop sending the Leader notes about it.  We need more Dwarfs before we assign a Keeper.  Okay?

Yes, we need leather.  Because we need bags for sand and clay collection.  And we need chains or ropes for the hospital‘s traction beds.  We will try to make our own or wait for the next caravan.  The Leader wants us to be as independent as we can be. 

Just a remember, the giant bugs are cute and everything.  Till they ambush you in the trees.  Then they are not as cute as they look.  We have sighted another Giant Louse out there somewhere and we may be calling out the Geared Angels to deal with it.

And in ending I will pass on that the Leader asks you to work hard and get along with each other.  Remember, we have done better than many other outposts their first year.  We’re alive!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:46:58 pm by callisto8413 »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 09:29:18 am »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 01:02:43 pm »

Got through the first year without any deaths. Well done!

Kind of curious about what sort of neighbors the Toy Company currently has.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 07:17:12 pm »

It is the 1st of Granite of 951, early spring, and Medtob Shammancatten, the somewhat clumsy Performer of the Temple of Authors, found herself doing very little of import.  She was upset that she could not pray to her many Gods and Goddess.  But besides that she was not really feeling bad.  But not good either.

She sat up in a tree.  She just sat there, feeling a tad thirsty, idling away.  She wasn't trapped - there was a stepladder.  She just sat there.  Maybe she was enjoying the fresh air or maybe the view. 

Om the 3rd of Granite she was still in the tree, annoyed with the rain.  Below her one of the Dwarfs was fetching water from the fresh water pond.  It was for ushrir who was finally resting in the hospital.

The militia had also been sent to hunt down and kill a Giant Louse who had come too close to the plant gatherers.  They confronted it in the trees and, once again the death was somewhat ironic.  The Giant Louse dodged, fell, and split open its left first leg.  It bled to death.  Libash claimed the kill.  The Performer was not impressed by the Sheriff or Militia Commander or whatever he called himself after watching his hissy-fit about his bedroom which he felt was not good enough for him and his wife.

By the 10th of Granite she was hungry and thirsty but still did not come down, just moaning about the rain and watching events unfold below her.

By the 16th of Granite after shouting at her to come down it was decided to cut down the tree from under her.  Fikod Ducimudiz, the Metalsmith who had nothing else to do but chop down trees was given the honor.  When she fell, and yes, hurt herself, it was the broker who carried her to the hospital.  She had hurt her spin and right leg.  Sadly, she died on the way back to the outpost.

Therefore the Leader logged the first death of a Dwarf on the 18th of Granite, 951, early spring.

But she had no friends so few were upset by it.  Ral, who had been carrying her body, was more irritated by being thirsty and went to have a drink after dropping the corpse on the floor of the second level.  A dead Dwarf was an empty shell.  Why get upset about it?  True, her body was now in the main hallway.  In the end it was dumped with the rest of the bodies, garbage, and refuse.  To wait till they had time to bury it properly.

A human soldier on the 20th of Granite, by the name of Ivak Manorworlds, asked to become a long term resident to sell his sword to the outpost.  After some debate he was approved.  The Leader felt that a human Hammerman was still a Hammerman.  In other words, good enough for the Guard!

On the 26th of Granite many things were happening.  The first Temple that would serve a certain deity was being finished and given to the worshipers of Turot Bronzedent the Yells of Tin.  The Temple was called the Temple of Contesting.

ushrir the wounded Herbalist was being fed and given water but still nobody had bothered to check his wounds.  Ironically it seemed the Medical Dwarf had been told to also smooth out some walls.  In the end the broker looked over the Herbalist's many wounds and suggested treatments.

And a GOBLIN Maceman was visiting.  A shocking event for the outpost.  Her name was Ramston Ekulanesim.  To see a heavily armed female Goblin in the outpost was, well, unsettling to the settlers.  To see her drinking in the tavern, chatting with the CHILDREN, and listening to the songs from the visiting bards was VERY unsettling.  Will no one think of the children?  How will it look if they grow up open minded and friendly towards other...well...others!

Spoiler: Goblin Maceman (click to show/hide)

The dead Ex-Performer was finally placed in a stone coffin on the 5th of Slate.  Slabs were being produced and it was agreed that every dead Dwarf would get a coffin and an memorial slab.

By then they finished working on ushrir.  Problem was he decided to leave the hospital when nobody was around.  It was decided to suggest he take it easy.  In other words he became the Tavern Keeper.

Spoiler: Treatment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Job Happiness (click to show/hide)

It was also decided to make Olin a miner.  Since he kind of already did everything else why not?  And the Leader needed somebody to help with the mining.

Olon Letmoskeshshak, the Gem Cutter, was possessed on the 18th of Slate.  And claimed the Jeweler's workshop to start making a mysterious object.

While this was happening a wave of migrates were spotted.  Almost every Dwarf already in the outpost (which could be called a hamlet at this point) felt a tad sorry for the new comers.

At the same time the female Goblin left the settlement.  Luckily for them, she went south while they come from the north.  Who KNOWS how they would of reacted on seeing her. 

There were twenty-one new arrivals. Sometimes it is hard to count them, as they have a habit of running about at first, wet, grumpy, whining about the lack of beds. 

One of the new comers was a female Carpenter of the name of Catten Likotasteb.  There was also a Bone Doctor, married to the Carpenter, named Ducim Avuzmorul.  This married couple were related to a few of the citizens already within the hamlet.  Hopeful this would help them settle in.

There was also a Ranger, called Degel Erushkin, who was married to Medtob Zulbankekim, a Gem Cutter.  Another Ranger by the name of Iden Onshenkol, feeling sad about leaving behind her family, had also come to start a new life.  Sodel Cattenstiqaz, another Ranger, didn't seem to mind anything, even the raining.

There was also a Hunter by the name of Dumed Avuzlogem, who was married to Ducim Dodokazmol, a Fishery Worker.  The Leader had no clue what to do with the Hunter and three Rangers.  Maybe the militia?  Maybe something else?

Zuglar Thosbutmuthkat and Oddom Ulingaban, both Millers, but funny enough not married to each other also came to live in the hamlet.  As millstones WERE on the list to be created as the Leader was planning on making an underground wind powered mill house these two WERE welcome (unlike many of the other Dwarfs).

Erush Delerstukon, a Stonecutter, was very upset by the rain.    A Leatherworker, of the name of Ber Rigothitdun, seemed to agree with Erush about the rain.  The Stonecutter, of the name of Dastot Misttaralath, was also unhappy about the local climate.  And his wife, a Wood Burner called ezum Touroranges, wasn't happy about it either.  Lets face facts - Dwarfs were not really made for rainforests.

There was also a Furnace Operator of the name of Kadol Obokcudist.  Meng ezumitdun, another Bone Doctor, looked upset and sad also.  The other four workers were in the fishing industry.  Urvad Akgositon, Vabok Sakzulrul (married to Meng), and Urist Imushakgos, were all Fishery Workers, and Goden Egeblokumm a Fisherdwarf.

The new comers also came with a young yak calf, three baby llamas, a baby alpaca (which is a wild llama) and a reindeer calf.  They, of course, would stay on the surface. 

Somebody also brought a bunny.

There also three kids with the group.  They were the only ones who seemed to become cheerful, even when wet, when they entered the underground chambers of the outpost.

That meant eleven new single bedrooms were needed and five larger rooms for the married couples.

Of course, many of them would be given new jobs by the end of the season.  And many.  Who needed more fish when livestock needed to be milked and sheared?  Who needed hunters when stone needed to be smoothed, fruits collected, and ramps dug out?  And toys.  Don’t forget the toys!

At the same time the new citizens were figuring out what was waiting for them Olon Letmoskeshshak, the Gem Cutter, created another artifact.  The Dwarfs examined the perfect rose quartz and decided it was worth around 7200 in credit with the caravans.

Spoiler: Perfect Rose Quartz (click to show/hide)

On the 24th the Leader announced something wonderful.   The first local baby born.  Normal Stakudkeskal, a Marksdwarf in the guard, gave birth during practice.  Her new baby son was given the name Vucar Rimadezum. 

The library, a small room across from the hospital, was finally opened.  Called the Geared Sanctuary it was small, with four bookcases, four chairs and four tables. 

While this was happening the older children, outside of feeling some bad thoughts about the first Performer's death, were otherwise happy.  They played make believe or played with the toys.  They enjoyed the company of others and seemed to like the hamlet and the meals.  They even liked the Trade Depot.

Spoiler: Child's Play (click to show/hide)

On the 7th of Felsite another human submitted a petition, a Pikeman by the name of Isman Bugiobler.  Once again the Leader decided a soldier was a soldier and welcomed him to the militia.

Also, a Goblin engineer had come to visit the hamlet.  It was assumed it wanted to visit the new library.  The Leader selected Ducim Dodokazmol, a Fisher Worker, to become the settlements Library Scholar.  Don’t want a Goblin to think the Dwarfs were uncivilized.

Indeed the Goblin was a Scholar and came to ponder mechanical devices within the library.  Her name was Tegism Lundagulo.  The Dwarfs assumed she was studying about weapons.  Of course SHE said she was interested in mechanical clocks.

The Dwarfs seemed to be slightly confused by now.  The workshops needed logs.  The very logs that dotted the landscape after a few trees were chopped down.  And yet nobody went out to collect them.  The Leader pondered assigned Dwarfs just to hauling.

On the other hand it seems the Dwarfs, by the 18th of Felsite, have gathered many other items.  Such as pecans, which started to show up on the dining rooms’ menus in the form of pecan stew.  Which was outnumbered by the salmon stew and raw cuttlefish stew.  But still a welcomed change.

Finally, a visiting bard submitted a petition to stay and all agreed that having a proper Dwarf bard in the tavern would be wonderful.  The petition from Lokum Brassbears was approved right away.

Near the end of the spring season the glass industry, still having hic-ups, did produce a green glass box for the library.  It looks strange in the un-smoothed and somewhat rough looking library.  But the Dwarfs hope to make the rest of the room as wonderful and as beautiful as the box.

The lever-and-the-support plan to collapse the ceiling of the upper most level, just under a fresh water pond,  completely failed.  The Leader pondered another way to get the water into the underground water tank without killing any Dwarfs or flooding their home.

And summer came.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 08:35:16 am »

Dear Wife,

It is Isman Braidrabbits, your husband and the father of your children.  How are Goden and Izen?  I miss them very much.  I am now a Pikeman in the Dwarf hamlet of Olining.  The Dwarfs call me Bugiobler - it is how my last name translates to their language.

This is a Dwarf village.  But unlike our villages almost everything is underground.  But for some of the livestock who can't live underground.  At least not yet.  The Dwarfs say it IS possible if they 'breach' a cavern.  Not sure what that means.

It isn't so bad here.  I love apples and squid so a fruit forest next to a ocean isn't a bad place to be.
It is kind of hard to see underground.  And I do hit my head a lot on the low ceilings.

I hired on as a Pikeman but they are teaching me about archery.  In other words, how to use a crossbow.

I am not the only human.  There is a Ivak Mekgosonra.  He is a Hammerman and it is nice to chat with another human sometimes.  They also are teaching him how to use a crossbow.  Not sure why he is here - none of the food is to his liking and he also detests toads and I know there has to be toads in a rainforest.  He is on friendly terms with one of the Dwarfs.  A Milker.

I do chat with one of the Millers.  A Kubuk Asmelomrist.  Her last name means Merchantwildness.  Don't be jealous - she is married. 

They are always working on the barracks/training area.  Even while we practice they are covering the rough floor with floor tiles.  Some rock and some wood.  Not sure why.  Either way if we fall over it is going to hurt.

There were two visiting goblin scholars visiting the village by the 5th of Hematite.  The Dwarfs seemed surprised but were willing to let them visit the library.  A little weird, to be honest.

On the 9th of Hematite the Dwarfs put a memorial slab in front of the first death of the settlement.  I am not sure what happened but Ivak says they cut down a tree to get a Dwarf, of some Dwarfs, out of it.  Not sure I understand the logic.  What the slab describes is a horrible way to die.  Well, they all are I guess.  It seems the most dangerous thing here, so far, has been the giant bugs and the trees.

Spoiler: Memorial (click to show/hide)

When I see the tiny Dwarf children playing with their little axes and puzzle boxes I miss my own.  They have started the toy industry slowly but surely.  Puzzle boxes, small boats, toy hammers, small axes, and mini-forges.  Of course, these toy makers are Dwarfs.

But they also plan to fill the library with books.  I am not sure if they plan to make them or buy them.  If they plan to make them who will write them?  Authors skilled with fishing?  Toy makers?  Have no clue.

On the 13th of Hematite I noticed they were engraving the walls in the Dwarf's living quarters.  Besmar, their Expedition Leader, has ordered all the images relate to the village itself.  Well, the artists seem to have translated that order very loosely.  Some of the images are about the civilization the Dwarfs come from. 

Spoiler: First Image (click to show/hide)

Some seem related to the founding. 

Spoiler: Second Image (click to show/hide)

One image dealt with a Elf taming giant Snails.  What is that about?  Well, it seems the snails - or another branch of them live in this forest.

Spoiler: Third Image (click to show/hide)

On the 16th of Hematite I saw one of those Giant Snails! Iden Onshenkol, a Ranger, killed one and brought it in.  Nobody seemed impressed and, in fact, there seems to be a ton of snail intestines still waiting to be cooked.

On the 17th if Hematite they elected a Mayor and Besmar looked more pissed then pleased.  It was Ral Zatthuddatan, the broker.  As Mayor he now wanted an office and a private dining room.  He seemed to act very important and even a tad threatening towards the others.

Also it seems they need empty bags again.  Not sure why - something to do with sand.

The Ranger Sodel also found and killed another Giant Snail.  I don't think I like the idea of Giant bugs.

Then somebody sighted a Giant Mosquito.  Such a thing could not be allowed to live so near the village.  And we were ordered out to kill it.

Problem is that it can fly and we can't.  After a few days of chasing it the order was cancelled.  What a waste of time.

On the 2nd of Malachite they created the Hot Cathedral, as a Temple to Thasa Flickerjewel the Brands of Taxing.   Don't even ask, I don't know.  They plan to make very small temples all radiating out from the first interfaith one they created. 

Then they created The Bright Church, a temple dedicated to Rusna.  They seem to be making temples for the most popular deities first.  I guess they want to cover as many bases as possible with each temple.

Then they did something that even they thought was a tad strange.  A human bard asked to become a resident and they accepted the petition.

At around the 10th of Malachite Besmar decided we needed a LOT of Miners.  We needed the bedrooms dug out and the temples completed.  So a lot of Dwarfs were just told to dig.  No other jobs.  Work is slow and the Dwarfs figure they will have to make or buy picks.

Also there was miasma in the Butcher's Shop - all that snail meat.  Went to waste.

On the 18th of Malachite they started working on a windmill.  The windmill itself would be above ground but transfer energy to a gear box below ground which would be attached to three millstones which would always be grinding away.  The only problem was a Giant Fly bothering the above ground workers.

It was a problem till a visiting human lasher lashed it to death!  Guy by the name of Vanod Inggisla.  I hope they applies to stay!

But problems come in threes.  Or in this case swarms.  There seemed to be a whole swarm of Giant Flies out there.  They keep getting in the Dwarf's way.

By the 24th of Malachite they decided the Giant Flies had to be hunted down, if possible.  The Dwarfs refused to collect some of the forest resources and would just kind of stand there, trapped, stuck in a job they could not do out of fear.

So we hunted them down.  Luckily many of the Dwarfs have crossbows.  Duh.  And we all can climb trees.

Sadly, one of the Gem Cutters were hurt while escaping the Giant Flies up a tree.  It got, funny enough, chopped down.  Her name is Medtob Zulbankekim and she ended up in the hospital.  Many of the Dwarfs seem to think her first name is bad luck.  I guess that's true.  The Mayor, having experience in such things, seemed to be the one who handled her case.  Does the Medical Dwarf do anything?  I don't know.

Spoiler: Treatment History (click to show/hide)

I heard, while I was running about with my comrades, that the Mayor finally got a tiny office and dining room.  That was on the 9th of Galena.

On the 11th of Galena I was told by one of the workers outside that Zuglar Thosbutmuthkat, a Stonecrafter, had withdrawn from society.  He explained it could be very good or very bad.  The Dwarf had claimed a Craftsdwarf's Workshop.

As this was going on they created TWO more temples.  The Tame Chapel to Lal and The Rainy Church dedicated to the Mahogany Fern.

By the 23rd of Galena Libash tells us to stop - we're tired and grumpy and the Flies are just too fast.

The militia had only killed two Giant Flies.  One by our Commander Libash Fikodshar.  He gave me his autograph.  Not sure why.  The second Fly died when Nomal Stakudkeskal made its head explode when she hit it with her crossbow.

By the time Autumn had come two of the millstones were attached to the windmill and many of the bedrooms were being dug out and beds placed in them.  And many Dwarfs were praying at the temples.  As many worshipped more than one Deity the tactics of making temples for the most popular meant that most of the Dwarfs were covered.  On other words they, and the non-Dwarfs, could find release in talking to their gods or goddesses.  Even I use the interfaith temple they call The Temple of Authors to pray to Katslet the Courtesy of Knowing for mercy, forgiveness and truth.

Oh, and why we were chasing those stupid flies another wave of migrates arrived, so now the populace, adding some of the long-term residents, is at sixty-seven.  So many Dwarfs now.  The hallways are now crowded and Besmar is talking about limiting each Dwarf to only a few skills or labors. 

Well, my love, I will end it here, fold my missive, seal it with wax, and send it to you.

Hug the children, tell my sister and parents I love them.  And remember I love you.

Your husband,

Isman Braidrabbits.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 11:41:13 pm »

Journal of Aban Obokrit, Autumn Entries, 951

Page 1-

Hello!  My name is Aban Obokrit.  My Mom is a Brewer and my Dad is a Fish Dissector.  I have three sisters and two brothers but only my younger brother, Rimtar Kirdakost, came to the Fortress with me and my parents.  I am eleven years old and was born on the 5th of Opal in 940. 

Mom said I should learn to write, as it helps me learn my runes and numbers.  I guess I should try to add something every few days to this journal.  So it is the first entry, written on the 1st of Limestone. 

I am not sure what else to write about.  We have been fighting the flies.  Well, not me, but the soldiers.  I want to fight too but I am still thought of as too young.  But I should come of age very soon.  I am not sure I will become a soldiers.  Maybe a temple performer?  Or a miner?  They always need miners.

I like the food here.  I like nautilus and ale.  And I have all kinds of toys I get to play with.  And I like the temples - I worship ten deities so as we now have to many holy places I can pray to whoever is available. 

I don't have many friends and spend a lot of time playing in my parents' bedroom.

Oh, the chicks have become mature chickens - hens and roosters.  Some will be assigned to the new two pens.  Others will be kept for meat.  Most are roosters and will prove useful only as future chicken dishes!

Spoiler: The Pens (click to show/hide)

The turkeys are taking longer to mature.  I think a few will be added to the first turkey pen and the rest killed for meat and leather.

Page 2 -

It is the 6th of Limestone and I am playing in my parents' room again.  The Tavern is a interesting place - they now have a total of eight beds available for new residents - and the Tavern Keeper seem happy with his work.  He is an old Herbalist who got hurt and now has 'retired'.  That is what my Dad calls it.

But the stories they tell there don't interest me.  They talk about history and stuff.  Boring.

Page 3 -

Yes!  It is the 10th of Limestone and the caravan had come from Tekkid Alie!  Oh, and the Liaison has also come.  But I am more interested in the caravan!  They always have cool stuff!  The Leader calls for the toys to be brought to the Depot!  I wonder how much we will make from them?

One problem Besmar complained about is having the Mayor and the broker be the same Dwarf.  The traders have to wait till Ral's meeting with the Liaison is over.

Later I would find out that Ral was somewhat upset by some of the news.  Seems like something called the Undignified Seductions took over three sites.  I don't understand - do they mean cities?

But at least Ral went straight to the Depot right after the meeting.  He traded the toys for bags, picks, and a copper short sword.  The caravan seemed happy with that.

Page 4 -

It is the 14th of Limestone and something horrible has happened.  I think.  Nobody can find Ducim Dodokazmol, the Scholar.  I assume, as does everyone else, the worse.  Zombie elephants must have gotten him. 

The only good news is that the piglets have become adults.  And they should bred and make more piglets.  Soon, within a few more years, we will have a nice herd.  And many cute piglets!

Also, three new Temples were created.  The Handy Convent to Rorul Glimmermop the Carmine Berry, the Abbey of Cobalt dedicated to Avuz, and the Confident Shrine to Sor Topsullied the Pelts of Fame.

Oh, and the tavern now have a zanor!   I bet it will become even more noisy now!  HAHAHA!

Spoiler: Zanor (click to show/hide)

Page 5 -

It is the 22nd of Limestone and I was helping harvest the plump helmets today.  I like working.  It is kind of like play but different.  I like growing stuff.  Maybe I will grow up to work in the fields?

It seems we still don't have enough bags and we need to gather more plants.  Our glass industry and book industry are having problems.

And more people have gone missing.  I wonder what happened to them?

Page 6 -

On the 27th of Limestone both Alath Zuntiril and Iden Onshenkol were found dead from dehydration.  They were found in the trees.  How did they get trapped up in there?

They were buried.  But also ezum Sigunmostib's body was buried.  I don't remember anything about the Wood Burner dying.  When did that happen?  They had kept the body in the garbage/refuse room till the coffins were ready.  All of them will also get memorial slabs.

What is that noise?  I'll be right back.

By the Gods!  Their was a massive fight.  Libash Fikodshar, Urdim Kanoslan, and Zuglar Thosbutmuthkart are all dead.  It seems Zuglar went insane!  I saw Urdim die! 

Three Dwarfs are also in the hospital. 

A new Sheriff, well the title is now Captain of the Guard, is needed.  They selected Minkot Zaskokeb as the new Captain.  Besmar has become the new Militia Commander and a few more Dwarfs were recruited so now the Geared Angels are ten strong.   The Captain of the Guard  Minkot now has a unit called The Emerald Chambers under his command.  They will share the same barracks. 

I can't write anything right now.  Sorry journal.

Spoiler: The Catacombs (click to show/hide)

Page 7 -

It is the 20th of Sandstone and a wave of migrates have come.  I don't know why.  My feelings about my home has changed so much.  Twelve I think.  Besmar is talking about making a large common dorm while more bedrooms are made but many of the Dwarfs point out that making a large dorm just takes time away from making bedrooms.

I visited the tavern and listened to a human bard Iskak Sinurrotec.  Her voice is interesting and she is a long-term resident so I feel like I can trust her.  Kind of.

There is also a Goblin Chemist visiting the library.  They say it is interested in glass lens.  Whatever that means.

At this point bedrooms are being given to singles or married couples at random.  And the storage area on the second level has been expanded.  It is not as well organized but it is crowded, dirty, and loud.  Reminds me of my old home.  Not sure I am happy with that.

Page 8 -

It is the 19th of Timber and another Gem Cutter has withdrawn from society.  I hope nothing bad happens. 

I have been spending much of my time on the tavern.  I have tried performing and have a passing acquaintance with the bards there. 

Besmar has ordered more bedroom walls and floors smoothed out.  And bedrooms already smoothed are to be engraved with images from our own history.  She has also ordered the tavern walls and floors engraved - but the artists get to pick what they wish to use as images.  She figures mist visitors would not understand the images of our history anyway.

Page 9 -

On the 23rd of Timber a dead snail man was found out in the forest.  We don't know what happened to him.  It may be he fell out of the trees.  And the impact killed him.  There are no clues - none of our people killed him. 

Spoiler: Dead Snail Man (click to show/hide)

I hate the trees. 

And Meng ezumitdun, the Bone Doctor, has been found dead.  Dehydrated.  His wife, Vabok Sakzulrul, was shocked  I hope she has enough friends and comrades to support her.

Shortly afterwards live snail men were panicking the livestock and the soldiers were sent out to deal with them.  One was killed and the other fled.  The snail men not our soldiers.

There is some good news.  Asob Shaligkadol has find what she needs to make....whatever she is making.  So I hope she will not go berserk.

Winter is upon us.  I hope things get better.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 12:26:17 pm »

Early Winter

Noble Meeting Held on the 1st of Moonstone, 951
Village of Tongsburns

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  You are joking me.

Captain of the Guard Minkot Zaskokeb: Nope.  They are trapped in a tree.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  Dumed Avuzlogen, Zuntir Bermubun, and Isman Bugiobler are trapped in a tree after killing a snail man.

Spoiler: Three Idiots In A Tree (click to show/hide)

Manager Urist Ablelnar: A highwood tree I believe.

Captain of the Guard Minkot Zaskokeb: Should we cut down the tree?

Chief Medical Dwarf Lolor Akrulginon: No!

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  What have you tried so far?

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: We told them they had to come to training.  That failed.  Then we told them to station themselves on the ground.  That failed.

Manager Urist Ablelnar: How did they get up there?

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: They climbed up there.  I think chasing a Snail Man.  They also seemed to have killed a Giant Fly while up above tree tops.  It likely came into range and they just shot at it.  Now they can't seem to climb down.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  Any NEW ideas outside of chopping down the trees?

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  How about we build a ramp or stairs up TO them?

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  Let's try that.  Any other things that need to be done?

Captain of the Guard Minkot Zaskokeb: We need to pick a Hammerer.

Manager Urist Ablelnar:  Really?  I don't think we need one.  I prefer we don't kill people because they forgot to build a bed or a shield.  Also, I don't think we have a hammer.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  People need to feel they are secure.  They need to know their Leader feels good about them and keeps them secure.

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: No Hammerer.  We already have had too many deaths.  the Dwarfs are stressed out enough as it is.  Remember the tavern fight?  We're lucky the fight was only somebody spitting on somebody else.  So no Hammerer will be selected.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  Hey!  I'm the Leader!

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  No.  You're an elected official.  You're only here so you can know what I need you to do and say in public.  Now refill everybody's mugs.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  Yes Leader.

==================================================================================

Noble Meeting Held on the 3rd of Moonstone, 951
Village of Tongsburns

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  Why has this meeting been called?  We just had one a few days ago.

Manager Urist Ablelnar:  Asob Shaligkadol finished creating...well, she made a milk quartz toy boat.

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  About time somebody made something that fits the theme of the fortress.  How much is it worth?

Spoiler: Toy Boat (click to show/hide)

Manager Urist Ablelnar:  10800 credits.  Also, many of the baby turkeys are maturing.  Some can be transferred to the nest boxes and the rest killed for their meat and hide.  We can turn them into leather.

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  Finally.  How about the three idiots in the tree?

Manager Urist Ablelnar: We have ordered stairs to be made.  If they can't walk over the twigs we will have to build a floor for them too.

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  Let's make stairs and ramps all over to allow access to the trees.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan: That sounds like a waste of time.

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  Shut up and serve the snacks.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan: Yes Leader.

==================================================================================

Noble Meeting Held on the 4th of Moonstone, 951
Village of Tongsburns

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  Why has THIS meeting been called?!?!

Chief Medical Dwarf Lolor Akrulginon: The ghost of Ducim Dodokazmol had risen and haunts the fortress!

Spoiler: BOO! (click to show/hide)

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  He died?

Chief Medical Dwarf Lolor Akrulginon:   The scholar went missing.  I assume we may find his body in one of the trees one day.

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  Make a memorial slab and put it somewhere.  How is the operation to save our three tree elves?

Manager Urist Ablelnar:  What?  Oh, yeah.  We made the stairs but they refuse to jump to it and can't walk over the twigs and we have to make a floor.

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  After this I want you to build these platforms all over.  I don't want any more tree related deaths.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  I still think it is a waste of time.  What am I going to tell the people when they send all these tree making the forest idiot safe?  I think-

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: Shut up and serve the pecan roasts. 

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  Hey!  I am the Mayor!  You can't-

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: Anybody want to see my steel crossbow?

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  Yes Leader.  I mean, no!  I mean....anybody want some pecan roast?  It is mostly fish...with some pecans in it.

Noble Meeting Held on the 11th of Moonstone, 951
Village of Tongsburns

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: So, what is this meeting about?

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  An Elf warrior has submitted a petition for soldiering in out village.  Of course we should be against-

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: Approved.  Anything else?

Manager Urist Ablelnar:  We saved the three idiots from the tree.  We are going to have three tree platforms soon.  And we plan to make more.  Soon we will be able to access the tree tops and maybe that will help us with the flying pests.  In fact we have a flock of albatrosses causing us some problems.  But I hear they make good eating.

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: Good. Anything else?  How is the ghost?

Manager Urist Ablelnar:  The memorial slab was finished and is about to be installed in the catacombs.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  In the catacombs?  I think it should be placed outside as a warning to our ground crews to be more careful-

Manager Urist Ablelnar: Shut up and serve the snacks.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  Yes Le- HEY! Wait a minute!

Noble Meeting Held on the 14th of Moonstone, 951
Village of Tongsburns

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  We're ALL going TO die!  We're DOOM!  *SLAP*

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  Shut!  Up!  Will somebody tell me what is going on?

Captain of the Guard Minkot Zaskokeb:  Goblins.  Lots of them

Spoiler: Goblin Tourists (click to show/hide)

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: Siege?

Captain of the Guard Minkot Zaskokeb:  No.  You see, we have two goblins visiting right now.  A Poet and a Philosopher who seems to be studying hospitals. 

Chief Medical Dwarf Lolor Akrulginon:  Which, has a well but still needs water by the way.

Captain of the Guard Minkot Zaskokeb:  Yeah.  Anyway, it seems we are famous in the lands of the Goblins because right now, approaching, is about five more Goblins.  But they seem to be peaceful.  I assume they are coming to visit our tavern.

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: Well, as long as they behave I have no problem with them.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  DOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: Seriously?

Noble Meeting Held on the 17th of Moonstone, 951
Village of Tongsburns

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  What now?

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan: Well, on the 16th the Ghost was put to rest.  But we have a bigger issue.  The Blue Season* has submitted a petition.

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  Who the hell are they?  Are they a traveling group of singers or dancers?  Are they the goblins?  What?

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  I don't know.  So I say refuse them.

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  Approved.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  What?!!

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  Whatever you pick MUST be the wrong choice.  Now serve the snacks.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  I hate you all.

* The Blue Season happened to be a Group Poets made up of Goblin Poets, Human Poets, and one Elf Poet. And more....DUN-DUN-DUNNNN!

Noble Meeting Held on the 23rd of Moonstone, 951
Village of Tongsburns

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  There is no reason to freak out.  He is just a Human Lord Consort.  I have no idea why he is visiting us but it can't be bad.  We're doing very good.  Now, anything I should know?  Why does everybody look so nervous?

Manager Urist Ablelnar: No reason.  So, on the 20th we finished making the temple for Usen Helpblocks named the Blanketed Abbey.  On the 21st we all decided to make the Wood Burner Cilob Talalcereol a Scholar for our library. On the 22nd we approved two petitions.  One from a human bard and one from a human dancer.  And...

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: AND?

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  Go on.  Tell her!  Tell her!

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir: Tell me what?

Manager Urist Ablelnar: Oh, and it seems with the Blue Season was a Goblin Siege Operator called Ngoso Dangengo.  She is very nice...at least that’s one of the Miners told me.  Oh and a Goblin Surgeon, and a Goblin Architect, and a Goblin Shearer, and a Goblin Fish Cleaner....it seemed to be more than just the poets.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  We’re DOOMED!  Wouldn‘t somebody think of my baby?!?! *SLAP* Ouch!

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  Shut! UP!  Didn’t you become a friend with the female ELF Spearman?  Don’t make me tell your wife.

Manager Urist Ablelnar: And we also decided the next temple will be to Lum Agalmospar also known as Lum Knownwisedom.  Basically a temple for the Elves.

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan: I am not an ELF lover!  You take that back!  She’s just lonely...

Militia Commander Besmar Onulsazir:  Shut up and serve the sandwiches!

Mayor Ral Zatthuddatan:  Yes...wait, we don’t have sandwiches.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:50:29 pm by callisto8413 »
Pages: [1] 2 3