Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 117430 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (A Succession Game... in v0.23a???)
« Reply #450 on: July 06, 2016, 10:26:42 am »

Um, okay. Now  that my thoughts are gathered, on to business.

Since it would appear that NCommander has throughly fucked the fort with a flaming unicorn horn, we should address the future of the fortress. That is, if the fort falls here, do y'all want to reclaim, or do you want to, with two weeks or so of wait, start !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO!!

The first choice means that NCommander, you won't get to mine any of that delicious candy, but the fort gets to go through another reclaim. Choice 2 means thatNCommander, or whoever is next, gets to end Boarpaints with a big, explosive bang.

Your choice again guys. I'm perfectly okay with either decision.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 06, 2016, 10:36:15 am »

The first choice means that NCommander, you won't get to mine any of that delicious candy, but the fort gets to go through another reclaim. Choice 2 means thatNCommander, or whoever is next, gets to end Boarpaints with a big, explosive bang.

Can we really get anything bigger than this?

Also, I'd like the second or third turn if we restart.  Any later and it might land in the middle of my summer finals.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 06, 2016, 10:38:29 am »

Can we really get anything bigger than this?

Also, I'd like the second or third turn if we restart.  Any later and it might land in the middle of my summer finals.

Well, if we do restart It might be a couple weeks, what with a couple of interesting mod ideas for the next fort. But I can definitely do that for ya.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #453 on: July 06, 2016, 11:25:32 am »

Idea: I could go for the candy, and whoever manages to kill the demon gets the first turn if the 40d fortress. I didn't get to play last night so the save is right after winter with the fortress still burning.

The worse part was all I was trying to do was make some cheese, and I wrecked thr place better than a magma flood.

Edit: I'm going to build dfhack-23a so I can mass forbid things. I think if I do that I can salvage it, but I'll wait awhile longer before making the candy/no candy decision
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:33:21 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 06, 2016, 02:23:58 pm »

Idea: I could go for the candy, and whoever manages to kill the demon gets the first turn if the 40d fortress. I didn't get to play last night so the save is right after winter with the fortress still burning.

The worse part was all I was trying to do was make some cheese, and I wrecked thr place better than a magma flood.

Edit: I'm going to build dfhack-23a so I can mass forbid things. I think if I do that I can salvage it, but I'll wait awhile longer before making the candy/no candy decision

You've already put up a version of the save for pre-candy.  Might as well go for it.  In the currently unlikely chance the fort is reclaimed, we'll just run with that one.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 06, 2016, 04:44:53 pm »

Well, I'm certainly interested to see what d40 looks like, although I do feel Boarpaints still has tales to tell. Wouldn't mind continuing it. We didn't even get to see the king!

And yeah, I was going to write a comment regarding the autumn start, myself being unfamiliar with the economy, etc. ..but then suddenly we came to the point none of it would've mattered anymore :D

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #456 on: July 06, 2016, 06:01:11 pm »

NEVER GIVE UP

NEVER GIVE IN
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #457 on: July 06, 2016, 06:09:28 pm »

NEVER GIVE UP

NEVER GIVE IN

We shall reclaim until anything gets impossible.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #458 on: July 06, 2016, 07:07:19 pm »

Alright, given the poll I'm going to try and save it. I have a build of DFHack for 23a so I can forbid the part of the !!fort!!. If it crumbles, I'll pass the fort on

EDIT: My forbidding plan didn't work. Can't mass forbid. The fires are slowly burning out, though if there's an on fire artifact, we'll have to find a way to make dwarfs ignore it. I've got two usable dwarfs at the moment. I'm digging out a new entrance, and seeing if I can relocate FUCKUNICORNS controls to be somewhere less on fire.

EDIT: Fort population is now 1, a child.

EDIT 3: Our strength has been broken.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:23:12 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #459 on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:02 pm »

Kol Uristlaven - Emergency Leader
Overseers Log

Winter

8 Remain. Three of us can work. We're all that's left of the fortress.

There's no booze left, nor barrels we can access that aren't on fire.

I've sequestered everyone beyond the cave river, and started gathering plants. It may keep us alive for now ...

---

I've decided to release Mistem from the prison, as we need all hands to help recover.

Unfortunately, she's too injuried to work after the late captain enacted justice.

---

I've locked others in their rooms in an attempt to prevent well meaning dwarfs from pathing through the fire.

---

A thief was discovered. I can't say I care.

He found out what a unicorn does to the brain.

---

Another thief actually made it in. May he burn and die.

---

Ilrad, who thought he was the leader combusted today. The fucking idiot decided to put on burning pants.

He will not be missed.

6 remains.

---

I've started work on digging out a new entrance, around the fires. I'm nearly through

---

5 remain

The fires rage.

---

4 remain

---

I dropped my artifact in the tunnels. I feel my sins on my back. We are all to die.

---

---

---

I feel dry ...

Even in so much water ...

Help us ...
---

help ...

---

I see a sock. I must have the sock. The sock is on fire. I'm not allowed to take the burning sock. I will mill around outside. I will ignore the salvation lever.

---

2 Remain

---

1 Remains ...

---

The child does not remember to lock the door.

Goblins enter.

---

The smoke hides all

---

Your strength has been broken ...

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #460 on: July 06, 2016, 10:02:11 pm »

... guys, we've got a problem ...

I wanted to test reclaiming the fortress since I wanted to see what would be there as a heads up to the next overseer. The save is corrupted. DF crashes on reclaim. Now, fortunately I made a hardsave and backup at spring right before the goblins showed up, since I know 23a has a bad habit of eating savefiles.

On a hunch though, I hit abandon on the backup, and tried to reclaim THAT. Guess what, DF also crashes.

Ladies and gentleman, Boarpaints is officially unreclaimable. So, we've got three options at this point.

1. Let my turn stand as is
2. Savescum, and try and save it, with the note that when it finally goes, its gone.
3. Savescum, and too deep it.

I MIGHT be able to figure out what broke it if I use IDA to examine the crash, but that's a serious long shot. Save corruption is really bad in these old versions. I'll fiddle with it for awhile before I go to sleep, but let's assume its not fixable.

I like option 3 since we release the demon, someone can try and get in on A mode (though that might also crash), and gives us fodder for the plot of the squeal, and shows what happens when you mine the candy in 23a (I can try and forge some stuff from it before the fortress goes again). I can also get DFHa

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 06, 2016, 10:28:58 pm »

I wanted to test reclaiming the fortress since I wanted to see what would be there as a heads up to the next overseer. The save is corrupted. DF crashes on reclaim. Now, fortunately I made a hardsave and backup at spring right before the goblins showed up, since I know 23a has a bad habit of eating savefiles.

On a hunch though, I hit abandon on the backup, and tried to reclaim THAT. Guess what, DF also crashes.

Ladies and gentleman, Boarpaints is officially unreclaimable. So, we've got three options at this point.

2. Savescum, and try and save it, with the note that when it finally goes, its gone.

I MIGHT be able to figure out what broke it if I use IDA to examine the crash, but that's a serious long shot. Save corruption is really bad in these old versions. I'll fiddle with it for awhile before I go to sleep, but let's assume its not fixable.

I like option 3 since we release the demon, someone can try and get in on A mode (though that might also crash), and gives us fodder for the plot of the squeal, and shows what happens when you mine the candy in 23a (I can try and forge some stuff from it before the fortress goes again). I can also get DFHa

Huh.  Looks like we hit the 'boarpaints is unreclaimable' point, so if the latter option was in the lead, it's condition has been satisfied.  Onwards to Throwback Fortress 2?  Maybe have some form of continuity by nicknaming the starting 7 of the new fort to have the names of the final 7 adults to die?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #462 on: July 06, 2016, 10:58:12 pm »

I've got DFHack-23a working, and I'm experimenting. Also, adding additional z levels to the 2D versions is *really* trippy.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 07, 2016, 12:59:53 am »

Mmkay. Editing the poll now.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #464 on: July 07, 2016, 01:44:47 am »

So, I tinkered a lot more with it and looked with IDA, and the game crashing trying to initialize or load flows (I think) which is DF talk for things like smoke and miasma. At the moment, there are over 3000 flows on the map.

I managed to clear away the smoke to give you an idea of how much stuff is burning:

I also played with the Spring save a lot more, and this is what would have happened had migrants made it on the map:

I also tried to flood the place with water. That is actually harder than it sounds.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44