Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Diplomacy: Round II! Variant Selection!  (Read 3793 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diplomacy: Round II! Variant Selection!
« on: April 07, 2016, 07:10:13 pm »

Diplomacy is a game of negotiations, alliances, promises kept, and promises broken. In order to survive, a player needs help from others. In order to win the game, a player must eventually stand alone. Knowing whom to trust, when to trust them, what to promise, and when to promise it is the heart of the game. Remember, you are a diplomat first, a commander second.

After the conclusion of the previous game of Diplomacy, I asked the players if they would be interested in playing with variant rules or maps, and I received an overwhelming yes. Before this game begins, we must decide what we would like to play. I use jDip, an adjudication software, so the first four variants are some of the more interesting ones from the prepackaged variants. The other nine were some of the ones that caught my eye as I was looking around. I would like to know which one people want to play as soon as possible; if a variant map is required, I want as much time as possible to make it. I don't have a problem making a map, I just need some time to do so. Please submit your preferences here.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:37:19 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Variant Options: Will be replaced with Rule Overview later.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 07:10:47 pm »

Premade variant games in JDIP: (All use the standard map of Europe.)

1898: The game starts in Spring of 1898 with each power having one unit. Each country must capture its other home centers before it can build in them.

Britain: Each English province is a supply center and Britain starts with six armies. Thus, Britain is the "strongest" country, but is unable to do anything until another player agrees to convoy one of his armies (or he is forced to rebuild one of his units and then builds a fleet after retaking the supply center).

Crowded: The standard map is used, with the exception of having a supply center in Ruhr. Each of the 35 supply centers starts out as a home center for one of eleven players. The original seven players start out with their normal units and positions and are joined by four new players: Balkan, Lowland, Norway and Spain.

Wing Units: A wing unit may move through any province, irregardless of whether or not it is a sea or land province. However, wing units cannot capture supply centers. This rule may be used with any of the above maps.

Alternate variant games:

1492: This 4-player variant takes place on a map of the known world in 1492, when much of the globe was actually unknown to the Europeans. To supplement this initial map, the GM creates his own version of the rest of the world which connects on all sides with the known world, but need not have any resemblance to the real world as we know it. By making the majority, of the playing board unknown, the players have to 'discover' it gradually as did the early explorers. Somewhat modified rules apply. Map

Aberration: A nine-player variant which covers a similar part of Europe as the standard map, but has great powers that might have existed if history had gone a little bit differently. Standard Diplomacy rules with a few slight modifications. Map.

African: This six-player variant uses the standard Diplomacy rules but takes place on a map of Africa. Map.

Ancient Mediterranean: The Ancient Mediterranean is a five player map variant based loosely on the powerful civilizations of that period and area; Rome, Carthage, Greece, Egypt and Persia. Map.

Battle of the Five Armies: This 7-player variant takes place in on a map set in Tolkein's Middle Earth. Unlike most Middle Earth variants, this one is a map-only variant which uses standard rules. Map.

Diplomacy Royale: This variant can be used with any map. The rules have been heavily modified to include blood lines, royal families, marriages, binding agreements, titles, and more.

Diplomyopia: Reminiscent of the Blind variant, but considerably more involved, this was the first hidden-movement variant played in the UK. The standard rules are augmented by rules governing what kind of information about movements is given to players based on the orders.

Octarine: This variant is based on Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" and uses the standard rules with a new map. Map.

Seeing is Believing: This variant can be played on a variety of maps. In this variant, only final positions are revealed to players but the actual moves ordered are not. So, for example, a power who is attacked is oblivious to that fact if the attack fails. Standard Diplomacy rules apply.

Sengoku: This eight-player variant takes place starting in 1570 on a map of Japan. Standard rules apply with minor changes regarding geographic locations and victory conditions. Map.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Players
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 07:12:26 pm »

Great Powers:
This could be you!

Waitlist:
Tawarochir
Lermfish

Since Tawarochir and Lermfish were on the waitlist from the last game, they have priority in sign ups.

Edit: Feel free to post now.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Variant Options: Will be replaced with Rule Overview later.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:28:20 pm »

Aberration: A nine-player variant which covers a similar part of Europe as the standard map, but has great powers that might have existed if history had gone a little bit differently. Standard Diplomacy rules with a few slight modifications. Map.
I vote for this and sign up for Poland Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth if it happens.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomacy: Round II! Variant Selection!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:36:05 pm »

I forgot to click Diplomacy Royale when I voted (Sengoku because I'm a filthy weeaboo); can you count its final tally as though it's one higher?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:51:27 pm »

You should be able to vote multiple times if you use private browsing.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:00:56 pm »

You should be able to vote multiple times if you use private browsing.
Can't. Not sure why.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 12:33:39 am »

Yep.

Middle Earth, Japan, or something else. I've played 600+ hours of Shogun 2: Total War, and at least a hundred or two of Battle for Middle Earth II. This is where that all pays off.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 12:58:18 am »

Glory to Nippon! also i would like to join.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 08:16:33 am »

While I'm not sure if I'll be able to play, I voted Aberration, Sengoku, or Crowded, though I wonder if we can pull together enough players for Crowded.  This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that my favorite EU2 mod was Aberration, though. </blatantlies>

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 10:33:25 am »

I'd be interested in playing again. We'll see if the last game was a fluke or not.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 11:25:21 am »

Since Sengoku is leading the vote, you fucking weeaboos, I have started to work on the map. I should have figured out the graphics half of the map by tomorrow night, but the actual functionality part will take a bit longer; XML is not a quick language to write in, especially when your total experience in it totals less than two hours.

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 12:02:38 pm »

Will vote for Sengoku, Octarine (duh), and African. Looks like Sengoku will win, so I'll don my red armour and prepare to introduce my enemies to cold steel. Red should be Takeda if memory serves. Might have to google.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 04:35:52 am »

Sengoku update: the map visuals should be good, but the adjacency coding is boring as shit. And then, from there, I have to figure out where units get placed and then code in the starting setup and unit variants. I'm not sure how long that will take.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 05:02:51 am »

* Haspen PTWs for great justice!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: [1] 2