Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 134049 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)
« Reply #495 on: September 09, 2016, 05:40:35 pm »

So...I think I'm still alive right now? Cool. Though I gather than I'm getting beaten up by a skin.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:56:47 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 10, 2016, 11:24:22 am »

PTW, would love to get a dorf and maybe a chance at this madness sometime. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 12, 2016, 03:35:09 pm »

Zutthan Authortrumpets Ranger's Field Journal

Urdim said we'ld never live to make it here but I know the overland ways.

Bloodyhells. Everything they said it would be.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tosid and Shem meet us and report no open entrances on the shore side either. Not unexpected. There's all manner of travellers and mercenaries around and some moving undead but none noticed their arrival either.
There have been rumours for a while the fort was overthrown by a cult. It may be more dangerous inside then out. Or there could be an entire fort of riches for the taking.

I strike the ground near center of the corpse-ring. The others find some tools close by.

Urdim rushes back warning of a giant bugs south by the shore and picks a safer axe.

He does very little work before the morning's events get to him. I let him take a break. He's only a moment.

After most of the work is done on the aquifer plug, a cloud of this nefarious-looking mist roils in from the south east. Urdim's fear seems prudent and we wait it out working at the bottom of the dig.

It's passed by the time we're finished. Urdim is pressured into breaking the last support floor since we can't spare the time for mechanics.

Everyone gets knocked out. I'm a little fuzzy but I think I saw a dizzy kitten fall out of a tree. While we let the dust settle we scouted out four barrels of dwarven wine in another trader's wreckage.

After a drink I noticed a new trail of fresh blood. Headed fom the tree it ended at the corpse of the kitten that had fallen out of it earlier. The very next time I came outside the cat corpse was moving. The four of us rallied together and kicked it to more death. Urdim and Shem get it floored over in a small hole.

I was working on delving deeper when Tosid shouted a warning. The giant Fireflies Urdim saw on the shore were pouring into the dig. Undead chitinous shells rained blows on me as I fought my way out of the dead-end of the dig.

Outside with the others, Shem yelled He'll distract them while we try to find weapons.

Shem's no militia dwarf but he unleashes a flurry of blows in a martial trance. Urdim cowers horrified wasting time while Shem quickly get's tired. When he collapses Urdim flees.

Tosid and I had to go far to the south east to get what we were after. We got back just in time to see Shem's chest crushed to pulp by the undead horrors. Poorly armed as we were, vengance must be ours. Shem's last sight was spattered with giant firefly ichor spilt by the shared spear and shield his sacrifice bought us.

Acrid slime rains down on me as I shove giant firefly corpse corpses on top of Shem's lifeless body in the shallow grave Tosid dug.
I'm sorry Shem. You deserve better then this but there is no time.

You can understand then that when the undead doe rabbits hopped onto the scene shortly thereafter our misplaced rage was inevitable. It was horrifying.
Tosid and I were worn to exhaustion beating down the unbeasts with our wooden weapons. Urdim, was confronted by a buck rabbit corpse that tried to enter the dig, he did well before collapsing from exhaustion on the ramp.

Tosid passes out asleep while walking back to the ramp to save Urdim. We havn't eaten since arriving. I can't win with just a shield so I head back south east after a weapon. It's too far and I feel sleep overtake me just before returning to the dig site with wooden sword.

Tosid tells me by the time he reached Urdim the head of one of the doe rabbits was chewing on him as well. He dispatched that easily and the fight now almost two on one retreated deeper into the dig as the buck rabbit corpse was backed into an alcove. I relieved Tosid trying to keep the thing from finishing Urdim while he worked on getting a cage trap set up we could drive the thing into.

Tosid can't decide between getting me some food and building the trap. Eventually I managed the sever the thing's head with a lucky strike from the wooden sword spraying the walls with blood. I have got to eat. Urdim can rest for a moment. An important looking human coming down the dig passed while I was getting a cranberry Tosid had brought. She looked like she thought she was supposed to be here.

She must have thought it was Bloodyhells proper as she left after seeing the dead-end of the dig.

I found Urdim's corpse. A bad way to start the summer. I though he would be fine, he was only bruised badly, no other signs of injury. I though he just needed to rest but I'm no chief medical dwarf.
I call to Tosid to ready another shallow grave.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 12:24:47 pm by Crashmaster »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 12, 2016, 03:52:38 pm »

The surface looks horrifying. So many dead bodies T.T

....Wait, wrong set of morals.

*rummages in mental cupboard*

Ah, better.

Damn, nice surface. The moment an attacker comes, we can send our necromancer/undead army to raise bodies behind their back, thus creating a deadly flancing manouver, allowing at least one of them to attack from behind!

Oh, cool, there's a house on the surface. Airlock?

Might be annoying to retrieve stuff, though.

Hahaha, memetic weapons of dead bodies. Oh yeah, there's that advantage of having them on map edge too, whatever enters is shocked, giving our squads more time to react.

Next time, break the support floor diagonally; dust, mist, steam, etc. can't come in through a diagonal.

(Hm, this gives me an idea for fighting nastier FBs)

Aw, a kitten! How cute! Should be non-dangerous enough for some live training?

Giant Fireflies, huh...Wonder if they could be used as chandeliers in dining rooms when lightning is added into game? Either way, fresh meat. And a distraction! Nicely handled, that's neat.

Hm. Rabbits starve, I guess. They do nip on fingers sometimes.

There's cranberries? Weren't all the plants dead? I thought you would have to set up a butchery.

Well, that's two down. And more flying undead.

Overall, a husking tale of how an intelligent diginvader would assault naturally trapped fortress! Well done!

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 14, 2016, 02:15:09 pm »

Meanwhile, back at the ranch;

Ghost processing continues unabated. NCommander spends the most part of his time meditating on wealth in various ways. Flame is still treating Ryukan and Imic upstairs. They appear to significantly more injured then before which sort of explains his recent demands for splints and now a traction bench. Not sure if supplying him will be the best for Imic and Ryukun. They better live as I notice over 10 strands of adamantium have been used on sutures between them.

Elf merchants were permitted into the shore depot if only to keep them from becoming husks. Spriggans has a fey mood. Too bad he's a carpenter.
A flurry of new visitors arrives. In the usual tavern chaos a necromancer death is noted, just a human poet, odd but another human poet arrived so no worries, untill another necromancer being attacked started the alarm.

NCommander finds the rouge axedwarf as it's beheading another human swordsman necromancer residing here.

The visiting dwarf is quick with his axe and shield but falls to a well-timed punch in the face and...

Only moments later Dodok, the butcher, has his leg nearly severed by a visiting human swordsman. The Night Guard are ordered to restore order in the tavern. The human finishes Dodok, repeatedly bashing him with a sword made of silver. Then it attacks and kills Rith, one of our medical staff before facing a real swordsdwarf with a reaf sword.

The last human poet to have arrived is now greeted by the Night Guard. They kill it before it gets below the soil layer. For good measure Twinwolf raises the corpse and orders it killed again.
More visitors. Nope. Bar's closed, move along.

The elf merchants decide to leave so the shore depot was sealed closed as well. Lockdown, no-one in, no-one out.

[MIGRANTS ARRIVE]

Dorito was loading the cage traps intended to rescue our people stuck in battle with the blue peacock head skin when Archereon finaly died, from dehydration. Oops. He only died a moment before Zuglarkun raised him to re-join the fight.

Not too late for the others the plan is brought to completion. Still a worthy labour investment for two more able-bodied workers and yet another caged zombie.

A couple other useful books from our reading selection.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 14, 2016, 04:27:41 pm »

If they don't live, could you get the strands out?

Legendary wood furniture is nice bait.

Oh yay, brawling. Did the zombies actually attack, or did NCommander gesture just for cheerleaders?

- I approve of necromancers wielding bladed weapons in general.

Though perhaps we might need a shambling corpse disposal system.

- Hold on, I'll save you. Oops. Hold on, I'll revive you. Still fighting? Good.

- Seems like gemstone makes a halfway reasonable weapon. Or maybe they saw the writing and commited suicide. Yes, again.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 14, 2016, 10:03:27 pm »

Though perhaps we might need a shambling corpse disposal system.
We have one, it's a pit that goes down to the SMR that I built during my turn.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 15, 2016, 11:32:15 am »

How do corpses get in, just rely on caging?

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 15, 2016, 03:45:22 pm »

So that's it then, I'm dead.

Oh well. A plague on both your houses, and all that.  :'(
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 17, 2016, 12:40:38 pm »

Zutthan Authortrumpets Ranger's Field Journal

Fuck.

It was brutal. That cowardly shit's corpse beat the strands out of the two of us. Knocked a bunch of Tosid's teeth out. Practically bit toes off of both of us. We just could not slow it down. It took a couple days to mangle it enough that it stopped moving.

We take a break from working for a while. We're a mess of wounds each. I'm cleaning the rabbit blood from the levers when I realize we slashed Urdim's corpse to ribbons and then bones but there had been absolutely no blood in it and there was none here where he had died.

My mind flashes back to the strange human visitor.

Foul night creature. We will capture it and imprison it forever so that it will only ever suffer for the life it stole from poor useless Urdim.
I'm digging the trap-bedrooms soon after when Tosid says four dwarves have shown up on the surface from the north. Mistem, Iden, Avuz and Imush.
The new dwarves are getting to work with some clean-up when a wandering human corpse interrupts things. The new dwarves are recruited and set on it but the delay allows Urdim's corpse time to re-animate and joint the fight. Not only that but a nefarious cloud rolls in from the north east threatening the area. While I wait for it to pass I pick up a silver battle axe the new dwarves had brought inside and Iden, Imush and Avuz and beaten unconscious. My ear burns.

I'm over-exerted but put down both zombies quickly. Iden and Imush are hauled off to one of the dorms under construction. Mistem tries to see to their injuries but wood must be acquired for some buckets first.

While on the surface I was able to scout out some plump helmet spawn. Firstly under guard of an named undead duck in a tree. Probably not a good idea.

Second cache was on the eastern boarder by a giant snail corpse and just south of that unending weasel husk battle. Definitely not going over there. Third and an almost easy spot is in a pile of goods on the shore of a stagnant pool on the western border.

We bring quite a few of the plum helmet spawn inside. I'm not feeling well. Weak. Tosid looks drawn and pale. Haven't been the same since the fight with Urdim's corpse. Our wounds are not great but do not heal.

Tosid and I decide to make a push to close off the opening into the dig site. It will take a while with the injured dwarves taking extra attention. As we begin I catch in the corner of my eye the foul night creature brazenly strolling into the dig site. As if we don't know your secrets cursed one. Trying to prey on the injured and invalid.

The thing walks with an uncanny smoothness. A water bucket nearly leads to disaster but is noticed and the unwanted visitor re-directed and trapped as planned.

The thing is walled in over the locked doors. Justice served.
Mistem, starts to work on his patients including making splints and weaving some cloth for bandages. Flooring over the hole on the ground level is nearing completion despite my and Tosid's health continuing to decline and repeated nefarious fog clouds.

Autumn arrives while we take shelter in the lowest section.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 12:47:48 pm by Crashmaster »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 17, 2016, 01:02:14 pm »

It takes a bit to remember the dread that should come on dwarven corpses in reanimating region.

Colorful beach - oh wait that's poison.

A legendary vampire? Hm, since the fortress is already segregated....Hm, tch.

Turning everyone to vampire necromancers is troubled by the fact that they only drink water if thristy and injured. And they don't get thristy anymore, so...

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 17, 2016, 01:32:24 pm »

I was thinking second fort = vampire fort. I'm kind of leaning towards purging the necromancers since our mission was to, 'put a stop to the dwarf necromancer Tosid Rushaxe and his clan.' Unless we can work the angle that the king set this expedition up as a kind of attempt at drawing out the secrets of life and death so he could move to Bloodyhells to learn the secret of immortality for himself.

Also I want to destroy the ocean a bit.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 17, 2016, 01:42:56 pm »

Ocean is non-reanimating, iirc, so it could be a nice place for living dwarves. I'd say wouldn't hurt, but the ways draining an ocean can kill FPS are quite numerous.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 18, 2016, 03:07:22 pm »

You can build a wall around the ocean as it drains, such that when complete the majority of the ocean is dry land. The rest would fill back in and once the water has nowhere to go FPS will stabilize.

Whenever someone returns to the fort after retiring/unretiring/visiting in adventure mode it will be filled with seawater again, which will need to drain. As will any tunnels under the ocean biome portion of the map.

Can't think of much to gain from having it drained anyway. What was your plan?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 18, 2016, 03:46:29 pm »

Well, while I'm not Crashmaster, it's floor being a layer of soil (typically, haven't looked at save) means that you don't have to use bucket brigade for underground farms.

Could also make for a reasonable place to fight without having to drag things underground.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 52