Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which new (or returning) features do you want to see in Orc Fortress?

Combat magic (frost storms, rite of pain, etc.)
- 69 (27.5%)
Ritual magic (weather, timeflow, etc.)
- 53 (21.1%)
More high end industries locked by looted blueprints or trade (post ideas in thread?)
- 52 (20.7%)
GUI option to activate more nonplayable slaver civs (ashlanders, deep legion, etc.)
- 50 (19.9%)
Other (post ideas in thread?)
- 2 (0.8%)
Needs nothing, just fixes and tweaks are fine!
- 25 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode for Masterwork 2016 (New poll 6/30/16)  (Read 34374 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode for Masterwork 2016 (New poll 6/30/16)
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2016, 01:20:20 pm »

leatherwing bat shearing has been broken for quite awhile.

another issue with orcfort:  quality levels on longboats, raider kits, and other "tool items" for the raid docks... Usually I have 5 to 10 guys running raid docks, and I guess I ever ran a more perfect set of workflow settings.  I was plugging around doing other things when I started seeing cancel messages due to someones mastworks being destroyed... so I went to investigate, I had a rumble going on in the raid dock room... 2 tantruming master level seigecrafters beating on each other over ballista parts and longboats.  a couple of seconds later another who was equipped with  mace joined in and bashed 5 guys heads in over a an masterwork laden ship of materials.....

I've never had them fight over this stuff before.... It was more fun to watch then most real sieges....  before I knew it I had 16 orcs dead from a masterwork mithril weapon unloaded from an elven raid ship, that an off duty military orc decided was perfect for revenge... everyone is upset and tantruming, final count 46 out 62 injured or dead, several animals abused.....  maybe these things don't need quality, or maybe they need no skill setting?  Not sure how to do the prior without setting the items to being say boulders.  so the latter would be a better option so its doesn't change a lot of the script.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2016, 02:17:57 pm »

Huh. I didn't know masterworks getting destroyed at any workshop counted. In my fort I'm selling alot of Masterwork Totems for Bonemold Coins, and my Master Bonecarver don't seem to care.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2016, 03:59:00 pm »

Yeah I think it was the quantity being made versus the number being destroyed.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2016, 01:18:25 pm »

finally figured what was missing from bonemold in inorganic_orcfort.txt  its [ITEMS_HARD]  and suddenly you can mint coins..... and then you can make a lot of other stuff:

lol so now you could have bonemold doors.... lols... and cups.... yummm..  apparently all items_hard is all the furniture and other menus...  but still how awesome to be buried in a sarcophagus made from the bones and blood of my enemies....
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2016, 01:26:53 pm »

Huh. I didn't know masterworks getting destroyed at any workshop counted. In my fort I'm selling alot of Masterwork Totems for Bonemold Coins, and my Master Bonecarver don't seem to care.

Speaking of totems, you can now make large gems from bone, shell, horn, ect, and large gems sell for 4000 Bonemold as opposed to a Totems 500. There might be a need to adjust pricing, or have the workshop only accept large gems made of actual gem.

Also, I can't seem to find the Archaeology Workshop that was in old masterwork, but Orcs can still find old chests when raiding. Am I missing something, or is there no longer a use for those?

Metaltooth

• Bay Watcher
  • Icon of Sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2016, 05:48:08 pm »

What is the strengths and downsides of playing as an Ork in Adventure Mode and Fortress mode?
o̗͕̘̯͈̺r̬e̶̻̗̲̹m͎̘̹͓̦̼̟͝o͕̮̦R͇̥̻̭͟ ̕ņ̗h̪̰̱o̢J͚̬̲ ̧͍̫̜̲͔̺é̤̩̫m̗͍̘̟͖͠ l͇̫̪͖͓̰͝l̕i̮k̻͈̺̱̗ ͙̱̠̥̳̱̘t҉̪s̢͈u͙͉̘̮͘m̳̜̞̳̞̝ ̴͖̠̖̤͕̱u̱̬͚̗͍͞o̢y̴ ̶͚̝̳͇̞e̢̠m̥̤̳̙̣̙̭͢a͚̳̞͉̭g ̛͙e̤̫͉̜͉͘h̗̘̱̤͚͘t̜̺͕ ̴͙͍͉̮̯ņ̘͉̼͓̲ͅi̜̻̰̫̘̠͕w̧̲̘ ̧͔̯o̱̳̘T̗͖

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2016, 04:04:05 am »

Pros:

They are usually bigger, stronger, and have more crafting options than Vanilla Dwarves or Succubi. (Havn't played any other masterwork race or masterwork adventure mode, so my experience is a bit limited)

They can use raiders, the arms dealer, and the freelancer's guild for easy access to metal equipment without fuel.

They can make iron and steel equivalent metal out of animal products. I think they can butcher and use sentient beings as well (They could in old MDF, I can't get any invasions to test this in new MDF).

Workstations that allow for the training of various difficult to practice skills. Try the bloodbowl pitch and dismemberment theater (the later is also required as a step to make the meat-metals mentioned above.)

Cons:

Orc Castes come with some heavy bonuses and penalties to skills, and most common regular 'Orc' Caste that you will see the most of has a -50% learning mod to alot of skills. Also, as far as I can tell, all Orcs except for the rare Dreamwalker caste get -50% to all medical skills. The Oolog caste is extra big and powerful, but take a penalty to basicly every skill that isn't used to work with stone or smash fools with blunt objects.

Tech tree can be a bit confusing to learn. To get the blueprints or slaves required for most of the advanced buildings, you will need to get a Raiders Drydock online. The Drydock in turn requires a steady supply of Balista Parts, Woods Bonemold Coins, and Metal Weapons to operate. You can get both the weapons and the coins at the Freelancer's guild by selling cut gems, ropes, and totems. Try to tell the Drydock to unpack loot you do not yet have to learn which raiding mission will give you what you need for the building you want.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:22:22 am by Weirdsound »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2016, 10:20:02 am »

Speaking of totems, you can now make large gems from bone, shell, horn, ect, and large gems sell for 4000 Bonemold as opposed to a Totems 500. There might be a need to adjust pricing, or have the workshop only accept large gems made of actual gem.

Also, I can't seem to find the Archaeology Workshop that was in old masterwork, but Orcs can still find old chests when raiding. Am I missing something, or is there no longer a use for those?

true... funny thing warpstone is so low value, you can embark with them for 10 points... and ask for them from your civ for value of 20... and it still sells for 4000 bonemold coins.  But yeah its cheap to make rock large gems...

I don't know why orcs weren't given an archaeology workshop... neither were the kobolds.  I'm guessing they aren't civilized enough... or in the case of orcs, they already were overpowered.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2016, 11:24:14 am »

Pros:

They are usually bigger, stronger, and have more crafting options than Vanilla Dwarves or Succubi. (Havn't played any other masterwork race or masterwork adventure mode, so my experience is a bit limited)

They can use raiders, the arms dealer, and the freelancer's guild for easy access to metal equipment without fuel.

They can make iron and steel equivalent metal out of animal products. I think they can butcher and use sentient beings as well (They could in old MDF, I can't get any invasions to test this in new MDF).

Workstations that allow for the training of various difficult to practice skills. Try the bloodbowl pitch and dismemberment theater (the later is also required as a step to make the meat-metals mentioned above.)

Cons:

Orc Castes come with some heavy bonuses and penalties to skills, and most common regular 'Orc' Caste that you will see the most of has a -50% learning mod to alot of skills. Also, as far as I can tell, all Orcs except for the rare Dreamwalker caste get -50% to all medical skills. The Oolog caste is extra big and powerful, but take a penalty to basicly every skill that isn't used to work with stone or smash fools with blunt objects.

Tech tree can be a bit confusing to learn. To get the blueprints or slaves required for most of the advanced buildings, you will need to get a Raiders Drydock online. The Drydock in turn requires a steady supply of Balista Parts, Woods Bonemold Coins, and Metal Weapons to operate. You can get both the weapons and the coins at the Freelancer's guild by selling cut gems, ropes, and totems. Try to tell the Drydock to unpack loot you do not yet have to learn which raiding mission will give you what you need for the building you want.

additionally: 
They have the orcish factory that can churn out tons of copper daggers for less metal. pair it with one of the goblin captive shops that can churn out copper in large quantities and the dwarven cell that can make lots of ore with the cost of only grog (which can be water apparently, damn thing is just thirsty..).

the Orcish Factory - also produces batches of 40 bricks from 5 clay, add in a few other ingredients to make various colors.... this is the strongest, most efficient mgma safe brick creation in masterwork. many multi weapon/armor/shield productions more efficient then the forge

Kiln - produces bonemeal stones in addition to its original tasks.

Boneforge - wood to ash, extracts blood from meat, produces bonemold bars(ash and bonemeal stones), bloodsteel bars(blood and bonemold bars),  and fertilizer(6 for a bonemeal and blood) etc. replaces the ashery/wood furnace.

Molten Pit - efficient wood to charcoal. efficient iron production, efficient pig-iron production, efficient steel production, destruction of 'rock' material armor/weapons/shields into fertilizer and rocks.  reforging of 'rock' armor weapons etc into better armors.... replaces the other function of wood furnace, and smelter jobs.

and thats just some of the cool shit available...
blacksmoke furnace - makes oil from coke, synthetic silk, and acids.  synthetic silk can be used to make silk bags, clothes etc. 

ashland glassblower - advanced glass factory, produces ashland and ebon glass bars... also a 6 glass blocks from 1 raw glass function that is the best way to produce glass blocks next to the succubus version of the floating glass facility. 
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2016, 01:47:20 pm »

true... funny thing warpstone is so low value, you can embark with them for 10 points... and ask for them from your civ for value of 20... and it still sells for 4000 bonemold coins.  But yeah its cheap to make rock large gems...

I don't know why orcs weren't given an archaeology workshop... neither were the kobolds.  I'm guessing they aren't civilized enough... or in the case of orcs, they already were overpowered.

Kobolds are not supposed to dig, meaning it makes sense for them not to do the archeology. It makes sense for them I guess.

Orcs are civilized to make oil and synthetic silk. Also, the field of Anthropology, which Archaeology is tied to, was born out of colonizers and slaveholders looking to better understand and control their subjects. If anything, I'd argue that the 'Slaver' races are more justified than others for having an Archaeology workshop.

That said, if they don't get the workshop, I could see Fossils turning into a large windfall of Bonemold/Bloodsteel at the boneforge and Chests providing the same in rarer metals at the ancient foundry.

OverLORDY

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2016, 05:36:40 pm »

I couldn't see the "create composite and recurve bow" actions on Orcish Fletcher workshop so i need to ask, can Orcs still build stronger bows? If so how?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:41:45 pm by OverLORDY »

Dookmiester

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ferrets for their weasel war dances.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2016, 06:47:43 pm »

I couldn't see the "create composite and recurve bow" actions on Orcish Fletcher workshop so i need to ask, can Orcs still build stronger bows? If so how?

Haha the same question I asked when I first joined the forums was this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158501.msg7043783#msg7043783

OverLORDY

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2016, 02:00:39 am »

Haha the same question I asked when I first joined the forums was this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158501.msg7043783#msg7043783

Thanks. I am new to Masterwork and still have lot to learn about both the mod and the vanilla dwarf fortress.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2016, 07:52:29 am »

Kobolds are not supposed to dig, meaning it makes sense for them not to do the archeology. It makes sense for them I guess.

Orcs are civilized to make oil and synthetic silk. Also, the field of Anthropology, which Archaeology is tied to, was born out of colonizers and slaveholders looking to better understand and control their subjects. If anything, I'd argue that the 'Slaver' races are more justified than others for having an Archaeology workshop.

That said, if they don't get the workshop, I could see Fossils turning into a large windfall of Bonemold/Bloodsteel at the boneforge and Chests providing the same in rarer metals at the ancient foundry.

Interesting concept... creating their on "archaeology" workshop.... lets see its relics, fossils, and old chests.  I could see scripting a reaction that grabs fossils and turns them into say 5-10 bonemold bars(5:100%+5:50%) and 1-5 bloodsteel bars(1:100%+1:80%+1:60%+1:40%+1:20) with maybe a 1% chance for like Dragon Head Totem or Large Gem.  but all in all it would probably be easier to just to insert the building option for archaeology into orcs.  I noticed that it somehow knows to automate itself like a loom or a butcher shop.  If you have an archaeology workshop, it will process fossils, relics, old chests automatically... I've got to look into that.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2016, 04:15:30 pm »

The automation has been around since old MDF, and sort of makes sense. Its not like relics, fossils, and chests are good for much else, and I think some races have or used to have reactions that scoop up any old raw gem (which might include the Archeology stuff), so its best they get cashed in before your dudes accidentally use them for something silly. Sort of how the loom grabs all usable thread automatically so that your doctors don't use the dyed silk instead of the horse hair for stitches.

As for what I was thinking, I agree that the Orcs should have the archaeology workshop back, if that is not the case, I would rather bundle the use of fossils, relics, and old chests into existing Orc Workshops.

For Example:
Draw Metals from Fossil: Amostubal's proposed reaction, requiring a Fossil, barrel of blood, bar of ash, and unit of bonemeal. Preformed at the Boneforge
Commission Necromancers to Reanimate Fossil: Done at the Shadowbroker, requiring a fossil and alot of platinum. Adds some sort of evil semi-undead monster to your fort as a pet.
Handcraft Sacred Gear: Performed at the Tribal Wargear with a relic and the standard handcrafted bonemold fixings. These reactions could make items out of the procedurally generated divine metals, or high grade Dreamwalker magic stuff once that is fully implemented again.
Defile Sacred Remains: Performed at the Dismemberment Theater at the cost of a Relic. Provides a huge boost to diagnostic skill, some bonemeal, and curses the orc who preformed the interaction as if they had angered a god. (Good for invoking fun or trying to build vampire forts)
Enshrine Sacred Remains: Performed at the Carpentry or Masonry Workshop with a Wood or Stone Coffin and a relic. Produces a very valuable piece of decorative furniture (perhaps a statue) called a Shrine.
Ransom Relic to the Church: Performed at the Shadowbroker. Trade a Relic for a Ship full of Abbey loot, or perhaps some platinum.
Goblins Tinker with Contents of Old Chest: Performed at the Tinker with an Old Chest, Two Mechanisms, a Brass Bar, a Steel Bar, and some Potash. Provides a windfall of guns, bullets, and advanced trap components made from Deep Bronze and other such rare metals.
Refine Ancient Metals from Contents of Old Chest: Spend a handful of Bronze and Steel with an Old Chest and Fuel to make a bunch of Orchialcum and Deep Bronze at the Ancient Foundry.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 04:57:28 pm by Weirdsound »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13