Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 69

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED  (Read 99141 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
« Reply #405 on: January 15, 2017, 12:34:34 am »

Time is also weird in hyrule, though. Weird enoguh that a book that spells it out causes just as much arguing as there was pre-book.

That is what happens when an actual timeline is introduced in a series that for the most part... had no continuity except for a few games (Zelda 1 and 2 for example) that were made to be direct sequels.

Basically imagine if someone did that to another series like Final Fantasy... Of if you want a real example... Gundam.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 15, 2017, 05:33:57 am »

I always preferred to think of Zelda games as a series of games sharing mechanical, story and visual elements rather than a connected whole. Kinda like Final Fantasy.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2017, 06:03:22 am »

Well.. There is a claim that Final Fantasy 7 and 10 takes place in the same universe, just on different planets.
With the descendants of Spira eventually make it to and colonizes the world of 7, and the events of 7 takes place in the far future.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:05:39 am by Ultimuh »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 15, 2017, 07:49:10 am »

Well.. There is a claim that Final Fantasy 7 and 10 takes place in the same universe, just on different planets.
With the descendants of Spira eventually make it to and colonizes the world of 7, and the events of 7 takes place in the far future.

This is probably not the thread for it, but you could probably argue that 12 goes in the same universe as well, Mist and Mako are very similar, and Magicite could easily be naturally-occurring Materia. In fact, in FF Tactics(retconned to take place a few centuries after 12), one of the fluff treasures from the job boards is Materia.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 15, 2017, 11:13:07 am »

Haven't BotW pre-release materials shown OoT and past Hyrule to be the western half and LoZ/Adventure of Link Hyrule to be the eastern half, though? Or am I misremembering stuff?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 15, 2017, 12:44:34 pm »

It was something I heard from someone on another site, but at this point I've no idea if its correct anymore.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 15, 2017, 11:48:32 pm »

Time is also weird in hyrule, though. Weird enoguh that a book that spells it out causes just as much arguing as there was pre-book.

That is what happens when an actual timeline is introduced in a series that for the most part... had no continuity except for a few games (Zelda 1 and 2 for example) that were made to be direct sequels.

Basically imagine if someone did that to another series like Final Fantasy... Of if you want a real example... Gundam.

I have no idea where people get the idea that Zelda games have no continuity. Zelda 2 was a sequel to Zelda, Link to the Past was specifically made as a prequel, Link's Awakening is a direct sequel to Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time was made to be a prequel to Link to the Past, Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker uses OoT as backstory, TP also uses OoT as backstory, Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel to WW, Spirit Tracks is also a direct sequel to WW, Skyward Sword is intended to be the first in the timeline, Link Between Worlds is a direct sequel to Link to the Past.

The only Nintendo-made Zelda I left out was Triforce Heroes. The Oracle games, the Four Swords series and Minish Cap were all made by Capcom.

EDIT: LA was EAD, not Capcom, so in-house
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:44:47 am by Putnam »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 15, 2017, 11:55:12 pm »

And Triforce Heroes is a direct sequel to Link Between Worlds.
Black lives matter.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 16, 2017, 12:11:03 am »

In my opinion, Nintendo's Zelda series is more about the story telling, than the rigid defense of "cannon". EG, the physical layout of hyrule is not rigorously preserved, but specific storytelling features-- Lake Hylia, Spectacle Rock, Death Mtn., etc-- are preserved. This is why all the descendants of the wise men in Link To the Past are hylian, even though most of them are other races in OOT. (Really, Darunia marries a hylian and makes a hylian maiden descendant? Makes no sense unless you give it literary license as STORY. )

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 16, 2017, 02:45:28 am »

I didn't include them specifically because of the Capcom make. Also, I looked it up upon some self-doubt and, whoops, LA was EAD, so in-house, so I corrected that.

It should also be noted that the four swords series also has self-consistency: Minish clearly comes before FA before FSA. FSA's placement on the timeline is pretty wacky/zany, though.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 17, 2017, 02:50:01 pm »

Some folks translated the text on the map.

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, they've translated and compiled the whole thing including bits not in the picture, and all together it goes like this

“Hylians pass stories of a destined time long past, where multiple races lived and worked together in harmony. The Sheikah Tribe’s blue aura breathed through the land, and this mutual prosperity continued, until a cataclysmic disaster struck. The hero and the princess attempted in vain to seal the terror, which became known as the Calamity Ganon. Divine Beasts awoke from four directions, and deployed a mechanical army which made the king and his people fearful. They fractured Ganon’s power and sealed him… But the Sheikah were banished from the land ever since.”

Oh something fun I forgot to mention from the treehouse stream. Apparently holding up a metal object during a thunderstorm will cause you to get struck by lightning. I don't think its likely at this point, but it would be cool if you could take advantage of this to get/use the Skyward Strike after retrieving the Master Sword.
It's FEF, not FEOF

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 17, 2017, 03:54:46 pm »

Does magic metal still attract lightning..?

Also, Shiekah racism bad.
Black lives matter.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 03, 2017, 07:45:43 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 03, 2017, 07:55:13 pm »

Was not rito already confirmed?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 69