Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 118073 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2017, 05:00:47 pm »

I've been dabbling with Sky Force Reloaded lately, it's a pretty nice little shmup. Gradually opens up in features and mechanics as you go. It's a bit grindy, but not neccessarily the kind where you grind for more gear just to progress, rather, you grind to improve yourself and do better than before. Plus the monetization is rather unobtrusive with the occasional still image ad after a level and optional purchases and video ads.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2017, 05:49:01 pm »

Looking at the google play page, it seems some bugs and such were fixed in the latest version, and saving anytime was added. But because I got my game in a Humble Bundle, it doesn't look like I have access to updates. If I can't find a way to fix this, it might make the game unplayable, which sucks, because I'm really enjoying it otherwise.

I have the same bundle but haven't tried that particular game... That said, for updates, you might have to wait for the Humble Bundle folks to replace the apk on the downloads page with an updated version. They seem to have done so already for a couple of the other games in the bundle, but not that one as yet... sending them an email might possibly speed the process along, though.

Fakeedit: Actually, that update (1.2.6) seems to be from 2014, so either you should already have it or their version is REALLY out of date.

I just took a look at the app info on my device. It seems I have version 1.2.7. But I remember when I bought the bundle it came with a warning that some of these games are Humble-only versions and may not be the same as Play store versions. I've had issues in the past with getting a game from a bundle and it not being the version in the store, and missing features that even free (ad-supported) versions of the game had (like multiplayer). I complained to them last time and they responded that the version available in the bundle is up to the app maker, not Humble. So it seems to me that the developers/publishers are putting broken and otherwise crappy or incomplete versions of their games in bundles, for whatever reason.

If anyone else tries out the game, I'd appreciate if someone could let me know if this movement bug is present for everyone or if it's somehow specific to my device or something. I could submit a support request to Humble, but they'll just tell me to contact the developer, and the last time I did that, they never even responded. Very frustrating. You'd think I'd learn my lesson and stop buying mobile bundles...

In other news, there's a new mobile bundle, and I got it, and it has Guild of Dungeoneering and it's awesome.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2017, 11:23:51 pm »

In other news, there's a new mobile bundle, and I got it, and it has Guild of Dungeoneering and it's awesome.

Would you say it's worth the purchase alone? That and Hero Generations are the only ones I'm remotely interested in, and it's not like my current Android library is that slim.

Edit: Picked it up. It's interesting, but if you want something highly portable... it may not be ideal, depending on your device. It's incredibly unstable for me: rotating the device has a very minor chance of most/all of the objects on the screen disappearing or it not rotating properly (so I'm left holding the phone vertically with only ~2/5ths of the playable "window" accessible), hitting the home button has a ~25% chance of rendering it unplayable, and pulling it out of sleep after an extended duration has an even higher chance of the same. It's kind of a pity, since its gameplay is entirely turnbased and there's little overarching strategy, which is good for stopping at any point, but its technical issues restrict that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:29:59 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #198 on: March 15, 2017, 03:07:24 am »

I bought it for those two games alone as well. So far I would say they are worth it. Spent about half an hour trying each one out and they were both pretty fun. Dungeoneering is easy to get into, funny, well-made. Generations is more complex and difficult, but the basics are introduced simply, and I get the feeling it will be rewarding to get good at.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2017, 06:15:36 pm »

Played Stars! for about 4-5 hours last night using a touch keybind setup. I never really thought I'd have a viable use for running win311 on my phone, but now I do, and I've never been happier. Only took 5 touch keys set up to be perfectly playable. Just have to get it into SVGA mode now so the screen isn't quite as cramped.

Oh, and actually playing it properly too. I ran 50 year (the whole 25k by 2450 thing) testbeds and played with race creation for 5 hours, trying to tweak in a bit more economic oomph for a couple of races. Don't judge me.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:22:28 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2017, 06:39:34 pm »

Into The Badlands Blade Battle is a beat-em-up game based on the TV show of the same name. The gameplay is kind of like the Batman Arkham Knight/Origins/City fighting, but condensed into a format suitable for mobile devices.

The writing and dialogue is terrible, but the rest of the game doesn't suck, so it's definitely worth taking a look at.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2017, 08:43:45 pm »

Played Stars! for about 4-5 hours last night using a touch keybind setup. I never really thought I'd have a viable use for running win311 on my phone, but now I do, and I've never been happier. Only took 5 touch keys set up to be perfectly playable. Just have to get it into SVGA mode now so the screen isn't quite as cramped.

Oh, and actually playing it properly too. I ran 50 year (the whole 25k by 2450 thing) testbeds and played with race creation for 5 hours, trying to tweak in a bit more economic oomph for a couple of races. Don't judge me.

Windows 3.11 is pretty much the first thing I put on a new phone, so I can haul Civ2 v2.42 (complete with live-action Council!) around in my pocket.  :D

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2017, 04:13:16 am »

That'll be the next thing I do. But until then, my Claim Adjuster race (ie: one of two horribly broken races) isn't quite tweaked yet.

It's already a monster. But there's more economy available if I lower the habitability. It's easy mode right now. Might even hex-edit it in as an AI race for a horrible challenge .exe.

It's called "Fear". If anyone actually still plays Stars!, this is what we all worried about, and why most MP games ban CA and HE (the Hyper Expanders. Yeah, I'm getting two versions of that race "acceptable" as well).

Ever started playing a game again 20 years after it was cool? Maybe 25 years in this case...... :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:27:22 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2017, 05:40:15 pm »

Dungeon Ascendance isn't a bad little Desktop Dungeons clone. There's not much else to say about it. It's that, but it works on your phone (DD is tablet only).

Basically it's a puzzle roguelite('ish) game. You explore the dungeons, work out which order is the best to kill the creatures in with your chosen character, then kill the boss when you can. So exactly like DD, or like Gumballs & Dungeons super-lite edition.

There's a free trial with 5 dungeons and 4 characters available, and the full version is quite cheap ($3.45 Aussie, so about $2.50 US). It's got a couple of tilesets too, so it works ok on a range of display resolutions and you're not scrolling constantly to see the dungeon. Fairly small phone footprint too (5mb or so, 20mb on SD).

Kind of glad I found it, because I've wanted DD on my phone for a while. I'll probably buy the full version just because it's that, even if it is a knockoff clone.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:42:32 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 21, 2017, 10:17:29 pm »

Dungeon Ascendance isn't a bad little Desktop Dungeons clone. There's not much else to say about it. It's that, but it works on your phone (DD is tablet only)

The version of DD via HB works on my phone, nominally. I can't seem to control it as well as I'd like, and I can't seem to actually focus on it well enough to get anywhere (whereas my tablet has it at almost 100% completion), but I've done a few stages.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 31, 2017, 07:40:56 pm »

Virexian is a twin-stick shooter game with VERY lite roguelike elements. You shoot various enemies in a retro vector graphics style while collecting upgrades in four different game modes. It's very difficult, play sessions are about six minutes. It's a good little game for waiting rooms or bus stops. I find the fake touch-analog controls a bit annoying, but not the worst. Give the free version a try, it doesn't have any ads besides encouraging you to get the full thing.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 31, 2017, 09:55:30 pm »

I don't know why people say Virexian is hard. I just d/l'd it to try it out, and finished it first try (little free 12 level version). Had a Shrapnel, which is very powerful, and whatever else as the secondary (used a Needler for a fair bit of the run). Might have gotten lucky, or played way too many mobile shooters recently.

It is, however, completely awesome. So I'm buying the full version now. $2? For a proper twin-stick shooter? Done. Cheers for the great find :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:59:40 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2017, 10:22:20 pm »

The modes included in the full game are decently harder than the 12-level trial game mode. I beat the demo the second time, and I only died the first because I didn't know bosses exploded and damaged you.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2017, 10:39:57 pm »

Yep. Even just true rogue mode (there's a brutal mode, and arena/brutal arena too) is quite a bit harder than the free demo. It's very cool though.

Just got a freeze blast shotgun/flamer, and a rail gun, after accidentally ditching my twin bouncer but died next level on the boss (hierophant, lvl12). There's some pretty fun weapons, and plenty of challenge on offer. Especially considering this is the easiest of the "proper" modes. Great game, no IAPs other than a $2 purchase for the whole game, small 4.5mb footprint, and fun gameplay without a whole lot of early level grind/slog until the fun bits. It's all pretty fun from the word go.

Seem to be accidentally using my dash most times after energy recharges, but that's mostly just because I'm using that bit for my adaptive control movements. I'll get used to using a different bit of the screen eventually, or just use locked controls. Controls are pretty tight otherwise, and you can tailor them to your liking sensitivity-wise too.

I even got the "take no damage" achievement for one of the bosses. Nice.

(Got to lvl16. Damn the Shrapnel is a good all-purpose weapon. Makes stuff explode when they die (including temp walls), so it sets up death chains beautifully. Mostly too short of a range for bosses, but great for everything else.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:55:30 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2017, 04:09:48 pm »

I know it's been a long time since it was discussed, so I'm not sure if anyone still plays it, but I've been playing ShooMachi (the strangely addictive shitty toohoo) on my phone as a fun waiting-room timewaster...

I just got the Android 7 update today, and when I launched the game again.... Wow. It's running everything at literally twice the speed it was before!

Now I'm unsure whether it's broken now (difficulty jump is ridiculous) or whether I've been unintentionally playing on easy mode this whole time due to some serious slowdown... :P

So now I'm curious which speed is normal, and if it's unintentional or I just need to git gud.

For reference, uhh... On my game now, the ninja girl shoots her fireball around once every 0.5 seconds? Also stage 3.1 Normal takes 1 minute 42 seconds from start to the first "incoming boss" message. Anyone else able to compare?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 57