Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 118129 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2017, 10:02:03 pm »

Haven't actually played in a while. Only about to clear 2-10. Not even sure if I've got ninja girl yet.

The homing lightning & butterfly girl seems to pulse out butterflies about once a second (at lvl28). Maybe every 1/2 second? That's on android 4.1.2, on a crappy phone. Does this match up with your experience?

Seems about the same pace as before to me, so it's probably not just a game update, unless 3-1 is considerably ramped up from 2-10 in speed.

(note: this is a very cool shoot'em up. If you haven't, try it out. It's fun, especially if you try and go for scores instead of just progression)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:15:03 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 04, 2017, 10:38:37 am »

Thanks. I guess it's a bit under a second for me...?

I ended up just looking on youtube, and my new speed actually seems about the same as this video, except with a bit less slowdown on the bosses. So... I guess it's legit and I just suck. :P

Guess I should be pleased with the big performance upgrade from the new OS, in that case, but I liked the high scores I was getting before.... XD Oh well.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 04, 2017, 04:21:39 pm »

Well... if you're able and willing to root the device, it does look like there's some cpu limiting apps out there. You could replicate your experience, heh.

... I've actually done something similar a few times with PC shooters and BES. For whatever reason, most SHMUP devs don't program granular speed control into their options :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:35 pm »

That seems about the same speed my one is, possibly a little slower in fact. I do get some slowdown when there's heaps on the screen though.

I also found that some bonus types seem to give more slowdown than others. Try out cakes and stuff and see if that affects the speed. Also, flooding the screen with bonuses usually gives some frame lag, so try out an outfit that increases your magic'y circle size, to make it easier to get heaps of points flying out of everything.
It's a game. Have fun.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 15, 2017, 05:38:44 am »

Don't play Star Trek: Trexels. It's a crappy, unsatisfying timer-em-up. If you really want a free-to-play Star Trek game, Star Trek Online is actually really good as of the last time I played it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Aqma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2017, 04:53:36 am »

So, an IOS "darling" called Junk Jack was ported to Android. I got it out of curiosity and I have to say it is amazing so far after a few play hours!

It's sort of a Terraria meets Minecraft game, but actually built for mobile (fluid touch control, unlike Terraria/MC that rely on virtual gamepads and sometimes clunky controls). The graphics are very nice and it seems to have a lot to explore with digging, multiple planets, building etc.

For the ones wondering, the IAPs are mainly cosmetic (hats, gold logo, background for main menu), the ones non cosmetic seem to be for a full crafting book and planets unlock - it seems this is stuff that you unlock naturally by playing the game but the paid option is there for people that want everything immediately (probably spoiling the experience). So it seems like a sort of donation stuff if you want to support the dev further not locked content, which is fine for me as I hate cash grab /gated IAP games with ardor.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2017, 07:08:48 am »

Dang... Junk Jack actually looks pretty good, but do I reeaaaally want another time-wasting sandbox in my life??? *paralysis of indecision*

Not exactly a cheap mobile game either... Though not expensive, if it's as good as it seems to be. 160 kc... Is that about $6? A little more than that?

EDIT: Is multiplayer available on the mobile version? Or is that for the computer only?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:15:17 am by Sappho »

Aqma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2017, 12:56:36 pm »

Hmm according to their description in the playstore: "Multiplayer is being ported and it's coming soon!".

I was doing some research yesterday before buying and it seems it is already implemented for pc & ios.

I hope they manage to get it in fast, my wife is also interested and playing in 2 is so much more fun!
I'm even torn between playing more now or waiting for multiplayer to experience the stuff together with her haha.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 10, 2017, 02:10:03 am »

* Star Tactics * (with little stars instead of asterixes) is a top-down, turn-based space combat simulator that I've just started playing. There's probably a bit of a story, but basically you have your fleet of ships, all with different firepower/manoeuvrability/special abilities, they have theirs, and it's your job to destroy theirs in a series of pre-canned missions.

Its got a real X-wing Miniatures Battle (a Fantasy Flight Games Starwars boardgame thingo that I quite enjoy) feel to it, but simpler. Or maybe Battlefleet Gothic, but with only forward firing arcs, so that you're racing around everywhere, hiding behind asteroids, spamming abilities and trying to get on the enemy's six, so that you can laser them to death without taking any damage yourself.

In all, its very cool. The graphics are pretty basic and retro (think of an old Asteroid's clone/radar screen aesthetic), control is pretty easy (just move your little arrows to where you want them and hit end turn after you've moved them all, or tap on an arrow and choose an ability once every two turns if you're undamaged. Everything auto-fires when in range) and not too deep. There are quite a few ship abilities, but only 1-2 per ship. It's very reminiscent of Turn Based Racing, but more fun, because there's lasers and combat and wild 180 degree formation turn jousting passes to set up. And torpedoes that I can't hit with for the life of me.

Anyway, give it a go. I'm sure it'll be right up some people's alley. I don't know if its got a huge long-term depth to it, but I'm having fun with it for now. If it ever gets point-based fleet list construction and multiplayer, this will be truly awesome and will reside on my phone permanently.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:35:18 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 10, 2017, 07:22:41 am »

I've been playing Hyper Heroes on my android phone, basically nonstop for the last week. Picked it up after it was featured on Google Play.
It's a gacha game with slingshot/pinball combat style. Each hero has 3 unique abilities and one of three different movement styles, making for lots of diverse gameplay styles.
The RPG treadmill is well honed; I hit a stage I could not beat within the first hour, and had to find some way to upgrade my units before I could progress, and I've been repeating ever since to make gradual progress through the game.
IAP seems reasonable. VIP bonuses are considerable, but you can get them through daily logins, so being entirely F2P is possible. The first rank is the only one that significantly affects gameplay, expanding your team size from 3 to 4, and you can get that from either a $0.99 purchase or playing for a week; I did the former and have easily played the game enough to justify it.
Events are frequent and rewarding. There are also a bunch of daily missions, all of which keeps me coming back for more.

Definitely recommend.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 10, 2017, 06:31:11 pm »

I've been playing Hyper Heroes on my android phone, basically nonstop for the last week. Picked it up after it was featured on Google Play.

Does it pick up any later on? I've just finished chapter 2 with 3*s on all stages with the exact same strategy: Put the Paladin where it can taunt the most stuff, send the Flame Dame through the Paladin, send the swordsman bouncing into as many things as possible, ideally through P/FD. Repeat until the boss shows up, unload active skills on the weak spot, otherwise use standard attacks to reposition.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2017, 02:52:04 am »

Got up to lvl 4-4 over the course of the day on Hyper Heroes. Seems the grinding or tactics wall starts about there. Got all my heroes to blue (the three starters and the $1 angel), at about lvl18 or so on each. Got the healer centaur chick too, but not blue'd yet. Basically 4-4 is a "don't stand near the boss, and maybe blow some cooldowns early too" level, and I keep standing near the boss. I'll try again later in a day or two. Kinda over it for now.

As an aside, the auto play AI is pretty good until you get your blue skills, at which point it turns retarded (it seems to favour low damage AoEs over high damage combos).
It's a game. Have fun.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 12, 2017, 06:02:12 am »

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is having an event where everyone gets one free premium gacha draw each day for the next 10 days. Good chance for free players to get some units.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 12, 2017, 06:11:58 am »

Just been playing Deadly Dungeons - it's 99p at the moment and I've had fun with it.

It's a dungeon crawler in the vein of Legends of Grimrock or Might and Magic, but just combat and loot based (no quests, puzzles or anything). Pretty fun time-killer, and does get a bit deeper in terms of tactics later on (it starts off seeming extremely straight forward).

Only major downside is that the saves don't seem to work great - you have to finish a level for it to save, so if you have to quit mid level (which does happen) you lose all progress and loot. This is even though it says that you can save and quit. Not really been a problem for me as each level is about 10 minutes or so.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 16, 2017, 04:47:38 pm »

Exiled Kingdoms is a hack-and-slash RPG thing in "beta" which I though Google Play didn't allow those but whatever. It's kinda awkward, the interface is ugly and I suspect a lot of the art is stolen, but it's still kinda charming. One thing is that it appears to be an actual game with a beginning, middle and end, not an infinitely repeating upgrade-a-thon like so many single-player mobile games seem to be.

I probably won't pay to get the full version, but it's a cute distraction. I have to admit a lot of the charm is in the obvious amateur/indie quality of it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 57