Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 118034 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #255 on: June 29, 2017, 06:16:56 pm »

Final Fantasy: A New Empire
I have not played, but the reviews I've read all say the same thing. Gameplay is an exact clone of Mobile Strike, multiple payment-popups on literally every screen, overwhelming pay-to-win factor at high level, and dialogue which does not reflect the characters and lore from FFXV at all. Seems pretty clear that this is one to avoid like the plague.

Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow
This game just launched yesterday, and I've only put about an hour in. So far I'd give the humor 7/10, gameplay 3/10. Might be worth checking out if you're a diehard Futurama fan, but otherwise it's pretty 'meh'.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 29, 2017, 08:56:40 pm »

Fate/Grand Order got translated to English. And it's an unbelievably awful translation. Multi-million dollar franchise's easiest entry point and they couldn't be bothered to spend more than spare change on a translation.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 30, 2017, 10:32:12 am »

Sega is releasing various Genesis games on mobile under the brand Sega Forever, including Sonic the Hedgehog and Phantasy Star 2 off the top of my head. I've played Phantasy Star 2 and it's literally just a straight emulation. I wouldn't buy the Sonic ones since actual ports exist, but if you feel bad about emulating they might be worth it to check out.

The only microtransaction feature that I've seen is save states, which you can either watch an ad to use or pay for the "pro" version. There's also an ad when you first start the game, but none that I've seen during gameplay (except on the emulator pause/options screen.)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 04, 2017, 07:57:08 pm »

TThat said, the sequel is feeling a bit unstable. Getting intermittent crashes on this device. Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it, unfortunately. Hopefully it'll clear up in the future, and even if not it's still pretty playable, just occasionally annoying.

I didn't have a problem with it until earlier today (other than what felt like frustratingly long load times for something that shouldn't need it) when, it didn't just crash itself, but my entire phone rebooted. Never seen that happen...

Edit: Oh. And don't blow all your gems on junk to 100% until you open the second gem store or you may regret it.

Fate/Grand Order got translated to English. And it's an unbelievably awful translation. Multi-million dollar franchise's easiest entry point and they couldn't be bothered to spend more than spare change on a translation.

I didn't think it was *that* bad for the first 40 minutes or so, but OH. MY. is it talky, and it's frankly slow and not very engaging dialogue. I think I've had four instances of combat so far, taking a combined 5 minutes or so, excluding the tutorial battle.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:34:12 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 11, 2017, 01:33:02 pm »

Grow Stone Online

Been playing this a couple days now and still enjoying it.
It's essentially an Idle game, and possibly the first I've tried without a click/tap-spam mechanic. Though I suppose sliding rocks around isn't much better.
You mine rocks, then combine those rocks to make bigger rocks, then take those big rocks and smash monsters with them so you can loot coins from their corpses which you spend upgrading your rocks to make them more shiny so you can bash even bigger monsters for even more coins. Standard idle-game treadmill.
Protip: You get gems from the daily quests. Invest your first 50 gems in 'Upgrade super combination skill'. 10% doesn't seem like much, but it's pretty huge.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 12, 2017, 01:50:21 pm »

Robots.io just got an update.

Clan system is in. Custom (set matchmaking, not random) games are in.

Mortars, buzzsaws, shotguns, railguns and mini-nukes(!) are in.

Had a really fun morning trying out all the new combos.

It's a game. Have fun.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2017, 03:26:24 pm »

Grow Stone Online

That was a hypnotic waste of an evening.

Also, for everybody that has idles and is on an actual device: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ss.proximityservice is a handy add-on that shuts off your screen when the light sensor is dark. That is, phone's face down on the table.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aqma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 19, 2017, 01:55:45 am »

Card Thief

I was skeptical at first as I find card games very limitted, but man is this a nice one. It is smooth, quite deep once you start getting into it, sessions are fast and I find the graphics pleasing.

The purchase structure is one of the best I've seen in a game, you can basically play it for free and you get a timer on opening the chest at the end of each run. With one IAP purchase, you can basically unlock instantly the chests going forward, so it's a sort of buy the iap to unlock the game completely but otherwise you can play for free also just a bit slower.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 19, 2017, 09:21:30 pm »

Still playing a bit of robots.io. Slowly putting together a minelaying strategy guide for it,  so if you want to see the evil joy that can be had from the game,  here's a quick video I'm going to use as examples for it (probably one of three):

https://everyplay.com/videos/45196834
(no, they can't see those mines,  but you and your teammates can)

Playing a fair bit of Hawk: Freedom Squadron too. It's still quite a good shoot'em up,  even though I'll apparently hit a pay/gems wall eventually. Seems fine for now.  Just a slow burner,  that I incessantly want to overgrind on,  because I like sh'mups. I can happily say it's not p2w (the two first free extra ships are some of the best) ,  it just might be pay-to-progress eventually.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:21:58 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 23, 2017, 07:57:00 pm »

Knights Fall - after poking at this for an hour, I really can't recommend it, but its basic mechanic is something I find intriguing. It's basically Peggle: The RPG.

Each stage takes place on a board that effectively functions like a pinball/pachinko field, and you have "balls"(soldiers) that get flung into the board with force you can select. They go bouncing around the field, knocking out invading units, activating mechanics, dying, or falling out of the play area. Depending on your units, they do varying amounts of damage, change the number of balls you get, etc. Some stages have you trying to manipulate levers to navigate the field, others have you defending a point, some are to kill a target... There's variety.

I found the actual execution here to be ultimately rather uninteresting, but the concept is one I haven't seen played around with much.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2017, 05:00:29 am »

There's actually been a couple recommended upthread with similar pinball-ish mechanics, if you missed 'em/wanted to see some similar riffs. Forgot their names, though, even though I was one of the ones that recommended one :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 26, 2017, 06:06:59 pm »

Epic Battle Simulator 2 is essentially Totally Accurate Battle Simulator, but on mobile.  And with microtransactions.  If you like that sort of stuff, give it a look. I'm up to about level 40 in it, but I know the pay-wall is going to be coming soon.  Other than that, it's quite well done.
It's a game. Have fun.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2017, 02:16:25 am »

Are you sure it's not more like essentially Epic Battle Simulator?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 01, 2017, 05:46:48 pm »

It might be.....

Pathos: Nethack Codex is Nethack, but updated with a nice touchscreen interface, more information about what stuff does, and is just generally easier to play than any mobile ports of NH that I've seen. It is streamlined and probably has some of the weirder NH stuff cut out (this is a good thing imo), but it's a very good remake/reimagining of it. It actually seems like most stuff is there, but it's done with fairly refined menuing/touch systems, rather than having to remember a hundred keyboard commands and constantly having to access the software keyboard. Has three full graphics tilesets to help the ASCII illiterate too. Saves between floors take a bit too long, but that's my only beef with it. It's an absolute joy to play compared to any other port of the bloodline.

I've only played a tiny bit of it, but it all seems very well done. Not as unfamiliar as Wazhack (which is also a very good roguelike), but not as "dumbed down" as other roguelites end up feeling. Just click "custom" to let you do class/race combos. Even seems like there's an original or two in there as well (I don't remember Gunslinger or Shaman in NH, and it may have ended up with a bit of Slash'em stuff too, class-wise. There's at least mini side branches, such as Minetown in it, as well as shopkeeper services). And, you can reroll stats before you begin, which is actually nice. Some may consider it cheaty, but honestly, if you get REALLY bad stats you tend to reroll anyway. This just makes it quicker to do. It rerolls your starting gear too, so you can finally try out all those weird wizard builds with awesome ring combos etc that would take an age to do in NH and Slash'em. Yep,  Shamans start with an uncursed amulet and a bunch of potions, so reflection and some basic identification is possible from the word go.

There doesn't seem to be pet stealing in stores, but the store interface is SO much easier to use. Just normal RPG style, you talk to the shopkeeper, and they say what they have to buy/services offered. No more stores littered with junk that you have to go through and try and steal slowly and laboriously. Honestly, I think it's an improvement. I used to spend half my time looking at wikis and pet stealing in NH. Now it's just buy/sell/services or attack shopkeeper. There seems to be a bit more gold around to compensate. Nothing is identified, but some shopkeepers identify as a service anyway. Shrines are also streamlined into a shop-style interface, with karma instead of gold being used. It makes things quick and easily understandable. Hell, you even know exactly how much nutrition you currently have, as well as your speed and attack rating (think THACO). It's nice to not have to deal with some of the obfuscation and mechanics of NH, while still having the "proper" roguelike experience. It's quicker and easier to play anyway, but don't expect a purist experience out of Pathos. It's close, but the streamlined bits are actually well thought out.

There's even a pre-scripted overland campaign available if procedurely generated RL dungeon diving goodness is starting to bore you (just click on :nethack codex: and it brings up a menu. I haven't tried it yet, but it's a good idea). There's multiple character saves allowed too, one for each main canned class and one for custom, which saves you messing around with a file system (it's not for savescumming, there's a resurrect button if you want to do that anyway).

So if you've wanted to play Nethack on your mobile device, but don't like the official ports with all their clunkiness, give Pathos a try. It's really good.

Some may see it as easy, munchkin NH, but it probably is. It is also far more enjoyable to play than "real" NH, so there is that to it.

((Boy is the Gunslinger OP in the early game. Two +1 pistols, dual wielded, and 115'ish +2 bullets to start with. Or you can pick up and use the first weapon you find and just wield one of them for kiting. It makes the early game fly by. I haven't even tried the shotgun you get in the starting package yet. Yay! Nethack: the DoomRL-like :P

There's challenge classes too, like the Convict. You start with nothing, except a ball and chain attached to your leg. This can be a useful item, but not at level 1.

Overall, it seems a bit easier than NH, but again, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not really far enough into it to tell yet though))
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:37:41 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 01, 2017, 09:30:40 pm »

YASDs and cool stuff that's happened in Pathos to me so far (I'll add more as they come):

Quaffed an unidentified Polymorph potion and changed into a unicorn. A ninja unicorn. Unfortunately, it does unmount you from your pet horse, so no added hilarity. No hands,  but opened all doors by kicking. Kept my ninja stealth though.  Happily kicked a group of gas spores and got unpoly'ed not soon afterwards. Pity.

The bard class can start with a Magic Harp with 5-9 or so charges. So you can play as a Pokemon trainer straight away. Joy!

Got hallucinated by a big multi-tile snake, 6-7 tiles in size, that moved all Nibbles like. A bile snake apparently. Died from the bite though. Pity.

Bought an amulet of restful sleep. Of course it was cursed. Thought that randomly falling asleep would be terminal until I read an unidentified scroll of destruction that blew it off my neck. Now I'm wearing an uncursed amulet of reflection that I bought from the same store. (the pre-canned wizard is a really good starting chassis incidentally. I started with a ring of regeneration, a ring of invis, force bolt and magic missile. Force Bolt is amazing at 4 mana a cast. It's lightning bolt without the wall bounce). Character still alive! For now.....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:40:39 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 57