Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182510 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #690 on: October 12, 2016, 04:24:40 pm »

"How mr. Reginald Darwin, leader of the vote leave campaign in Downe, Kent, GB views things"
http://www.volkskrant.nl/foto/collignon-2~p4368444/4129998/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 12, 2016, 11:19:09 pm »

Though, I do feel in the sake of fairness to us ignorant Americans, EllDubs, you did provide a link to a HuffPo story without ironic intent, not that Neo was right or anything, mostly it's just an amusing thing to tease you about, and maybe will help others consider checking their own local blind spots before shitposting.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 12, 2016, 11:27:01 pm »

Thought Max was taking Pot Shots at me... I am keeping my post but I am putting it in spoilers for your safety.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 11:49:26 pm by Neonivek »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 12, 2016, 11:45:02 pm »

I was actually jabbing at LW because that particular post amused the hell out of me when I moused over the link.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 12, 2016, 11:48:40 pm »

I was actually jabbing at LW because that particular post amused the hell out of me when I moused over the link.

Ohh... Opps! uhhh... I'll spoil my entire post then.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 13, 2016, 01:32:19 am »

Neo, it's not that you're wrong, it's that you come in, make assumption without source or anything (because if you provide source, you might get a discussion?) and then expect people to take your seriously.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 13, 2016, 07:36:44 am »

A safe space? :p

In other news, falling sterling cause marmite and Ben&Jerry shortage. Well, not exactly shortage: the produce wants to raise price to reflect higher price of imported inputs and supermarkets don't want that.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 13, 2016, 08:46:46 am »

In other news, falling sterling cause marmite and Ben&Jerry shortage. Well, not exactly shortage: the produce wants to raise price to reflect higher price of imported inputs and supermarkets don't want that.
Alternative source for those (like me) that can't access the article: BBC: Tesco removes Marmite and other Unilever brands in price row

More on the parliament pushback:

Brexit case 'of fundamental constitutional importance'
The need for Parliament to give its approval before the Brexit process starts is of huge "constitutional importance", the High Court has heard.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Take a look at anti-immigration and/or nationalist groups historically, and you will frequently find anti-LGBT behavior bundled in with that.
I don't want to Godwin this, but the best-known example began with an N, and rhymes with Yahtzee.
Look at the right-wing nationalists in Russia, in Hungary, in Poland.
And from what I've seen, most of the Brexit anti-Europe sentiment stems from the Right, not the Left.
So, 'general shitheads feeling empowered' then, you think. Fantastic.

Yeah the pro-EU MPs will listen to their pro-Brexit constituents. That is why they want to stop Brexit. To listen to their pro-Brexit constituents. They know that all those who voted for Brexit really want the EU. They're smartasses like that, fuck that noise, May has it on point

Even if they wouldn't be allowed a vote to prevent it from happening, that doesn't mean they couldn't be involved in the process. After all, the only thing the ref polled about is whether to leave or not, not under what circumstances or what type of new deal to strife for. It's not like the Leave campaign had a unified voice, so it's not like people voted for a concrete plan.

Next to that, if you think British politics has gotten to a point where elected officials no longer represent their constituents, then whether or not the UK is part of the EU seems like the least of its problems. Fighting the symptoms vs the disease, unless it's just on this specific matter that this happens.

Reported allegations have increased, conviction rate remains at 1% for accusations, as collected by LGBT charity Gallup and not police stats
I is sckeptical

Like someone else said, conviction rates for accusations can remain the same while absolute numbers go up. Next to that, suppose that police stats don't increase, what would that mean? Either the police, Galop or the people filing complaints would be outright lying, or the victims don't report most incidents to the police for some reason (eg cause they don' think they could really prove what happened in court or don't want to face the hassle) while still reporting to Galop.

Here's a quote from the article:
Four in five respondents to the Galop report, released today, say they have experienced hate crime. However, only a quarter reported the last hate crime they experienced, suggesting a gap in the data collected by police and government departments. The report, based on a survey of 467 LGBT people, shows low satisfaction with the police, with half of those who reported a hate crime to them feeling unsatisfied with the outcome.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 13, 2016, 12:02:11 pm »

The Tesco vs Unilever battle seems like a bit of a sideshow. Prices will go up, nultinationals aren't just going to absorb losses for us out of the goodness of their hearts.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 13, 2016, 11:43:39 pm »

Here we go again. Sturgeon announce new Scotxit referendum.

Naw she didnae, she announced a consultation to a bill that might lead to a second referendum.

I would suggest she's just being prudent, but I may be slightly biased in the matter.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 14, 2016, 06:53:04 am »

The Tesco vs Unilever battle seems like a bit of a sideshow. Prices will go up, nultinationals aren't just going to absorb losses for us out of the goodness of their hearts.

The point being that Tesco refused to raise prices because cheapness and tiny margins is their by-word
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 14, 2016, 07:27:08 am »

And battling a big overarching mega-corporation like Unilever might be seen as better than (and thus perhaps make up for) their past battles to drive down consumer costs by battling the multitude of little-guy suppliers like the farmers (dairy,meat, vegetables, etc) in recent times...

ETA: "Hard Brexit or No Brexit" is the current message from Europe.  Perfectly understandably, probably will end up as "Crunchy Brexit" after 'face-saving' negotiations on both sides where it's still not anything like what anybody wants but each can claim they clawed something back from the mess...

(Roll on WWIII, to make the whole thing moot? November 8th is first up on the agenda...)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:31:28 am by Starver »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 14, 2016, 09:15:03 am »

I'm not sure the EU has anything to save face about. The UK got quite a bit of special treatment while they were in the EU, and I don't think EU leaders want the precedent for a country leaving to be that the leaver gets a good deal.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 126