Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182532 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #720 on: October 16, 2016, 10:49:30 am »

Maybe they've got more to lose economically, but they've got more to gain in regards to sovereignty and self-determination and whatnot, too.

Yeah, this. When it comes to sovereignty over the self economy often takes the back seat (and yeah, I agree that it is better to be poor and decide your own future, and slightly less poor and with your life in the hands of others).

Except for you know... the UK having WAAAAY too much sway over the EU...

It is one of the things I find odd about the whole "self-determination" angle... They pretty much had that under the EU.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:56:11 am by Neonivek »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 16, 2016, 10:57:14 am »

We're talking about Scotland in this case.

And the UK has had a lot of influence in the EU, that is definitely true. They have used that influence mostly to force exceptions from EU law in the UK, as opposed to France/Germany/Italy and such countries who have used their influence to force laws that benefit themselves upon the rest of the EU. The UK used their sway to make the EU leave them alone, the Germano-Franks used their sway to make other countries dance to their flute. I by no means like the UK's attitude of "yeah sure, you do that, we'll just not ourselves" but I much prefer it to the unabashed self-interest shown by other powerful countries in the "union".
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 16, 2016, 11:16:22 am »

Here we go again. Sturgeon announce new Scotxit referendum.

Scotland has a £15bil annual deficit paid for by British taxes. I'd be very shocked if Sturgeon actually wanted to get out of the UK, more likely just wants to make a noise and get more money for Scotland.

The UK as a whole as a budget deficit of £170 billion. Scotland's account for about 8% of the UK's population IIRC, so their share of the current deficit is around £ 13 billion.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 16, 2016, 11:29:40 am »

"No Scotland, don't split from the Union just because you don't like the way it controls you.." being said by people who ignored "No UK, don't split from the Union just because you don't like the way (you think) it controls you..." is a little hilarious, though...

Not the only reason to/not to leave, but it's similar across most of the field.  (Scotland's free tuition/prescriptions aren't even something it gains from the UK, BTW. and if it is in poorer financial status than E+W1 then it will become a net beneficiary the way 'we' complained about being a net donor to the EU pot..) . Given Scotland's state as pretty much civilised and pretty much English-speaking, it'd indeed make a good surrogate for London's environs, in many ways. If Europe doesn't splinter, I could actually see it happy to assiimilate Scotland... A bit of effort needed, but could be deemed worth it to further snub the hostile elements of 'Westmister', at the very least.

1 Not going to mention NI. Scotland finds a way to go it 'alone', NI will probably say "Fuggit" and decide to go it alone in an "orphaned Unionist" enclave member of the EU, even if they still don't want to join Eire officially, just be a neighbouring EU state...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 16, 2016, 11:46:18 am »

Wales you better get off your butt and do something!

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 16, 2016, 01:32:32 pm »

<snip>
<snip>
<snip>

Scotland is basically autonomous now anyway. They have their own system of parliament which determines both Scottish and English (British) matters. That's one of the main reasons their deficit is fucking crazily high.

I hope Scotland gets independence, but they will choke on it.

Scotland has a £15bil annual deficit paid for by British taxes. I'd be very shocked if Sturgeon actually wanted to get out of the UK, more likely just wants to make a noise and get more money for Scotland.

The UK as a whole as a budget deficit of £170 billion. Scotland's account for about 8% of the UK's population IIRC, so their share of the current deficit is around £ 13 billion.

I don't know where you got £170bil from. UK has a budget deficit of £67.6bil (although apparently it's only maybe £19~bil).

So, the UK's deficit is 10~%. Scotland deficit is 25%.

It's not population, it's taxation and the Scots don't have as much work.

Not the only reason to/not to leave, but it's similar across most of the field.  (Scotland's free tuition/prescriptions aren't even something it gains from the UK, BTW. and if it is in poorer financial status than E+W1 then it will become a net beneficiary the way 'we' complained about being a net donor to the EU pot..) . Given Scotland's state as pretty much civilised and pretty much English-speaking, it'd indeed make a good surrogate for London's environs, in many ways. If Europe doesn't splinter, I could actually see it happy to assiimilate Scotland... A bit of effort needed, but could be deemed worth it to further snub the hostile elements of 'Westmister', at the very least.

Scotland being (probably) assimilated by the EU is another major problem of the EU. It will just be another Greece with a huge debt sink and no way to really fix the problem.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 16, 2016, 02:12:54 pm »

Scotland is basically autonomous now anyway. They have their own system of parliament which determines both Scottish and English (British) matters. That's one of the main reasons their deficit is fucking crazily high.

That's why they are being taken out of the EU against their will and have a Tory government they didn't vote for, then? Autonomy ftw.

Scotland has about 9% of the MPs in parliament, whereas England has ~82%. Scottish MPs can cast deciding votes every now and again, they certainly have no way of controlling it.

Then we can argue that the continued use of the Barnett formula means that changes in spending in England influence levels of spending in the rUK, including Scotland, meaning that while the things they vote on might only directly affecting England in regards to policy, they will indirectly affect Scotland regarding pennies.

I don't know where you got £170bil from. UK has a budget deficit of £67.6bil (although apparently it's only maybe £19~bil).

So, the UK's deficit is 10~%. Scotland deficit is 25%.

Or 4% and 9.5%, respectively. Where are you getting your numbers?

Scotland being (probably) assimilated by the EU is another major problem of the EU. It will just be another Greece with a huge debt sink and no way to really fix the problem.

What are your thoughts on the UK likely losing free (in the sense of no tariffs or the like) access to one of the largest open markets in the world?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 16, 2016, 02:23:37 pm »

That's why they are being taken out of the EU against their will and have a Tory government they didn't vote for, then? Autonomy ftw.

Scotland has about 9% of the MPs in parliament, whereas England has ~82%. Scottish MPs can cast deciding votes every now and again, they certainly have no way of controlling it.

Then we can argue that the continued use of the Barnett formula means that changes in spending in England influence levels of spending in the rUK, including Scotland, meaning that while the things they vote on might only directly affecting England in regards to policy, they will indirectly affect Scotland regarding pennies.

Scotland ruined any chance of a Labour government by voting for the SNP, so good job on that I guess.

Scottish MPs determine Scottish policy (for example: free tuition fees) whereas British ones have very little choice in Scottish policy.

Again, SNP ruined any chance of a Labour government. If they didn't want that, they shouldn't've voted for that.

Or 4% and 9.5%, respectively. Where are you getting your numbers?

That's deficit versus GDP, I'm talking about deficit versus total public spending. Scotland spends £60~bn and has a £16~bn deficit. The UK spends £740~bn and has a £70~bn deficit.

What are your thoughts on the UK likely losing free (in the sense of no tariffs or the like) access to one of the largest open markets in the world?

It won't.

Germany relies on the UK as open trade provides them directly with around 750~k jobs and likely from that provides other industries with a lot more. A loss of an open trade deal would cause Germany a LOT of harm and would result in a tit-for-tat war regarding tariffs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 16, 2016, 02:38:10 pm »

The UK relies (or relied, anyway) on a great deal of trade they (or at least its politicians) functionally told to bugger off, too, though. I'm not sure I'd be so confident that germany (or whoever) won't decide to take an economic hit for non-economic reasons. Or a short term one for long term gains sans the UK (or with less of em, I guess). Not sure I'd even call it a particularly bad idea, at this point. An unstable economic partner is sometimes worse than not having that partner at all.

And the UK is trying to sign itself up for a decade or three of trade renegotiations...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 16, 2016, 02:45:44 pm »

Scotland ruined any chance of a Labour government by voting for the SNP, so good job on that I guess.

Scottish MPs determine Scottish policy (for example: free tuition fees) whereas British ones have very little choice in Scottish policy.

Again, SNP ruined any chance of a Labour government. If they didn't want that, they shouldn't've voted for that.

Scottish folks have realized that British parties aren't going to look out for their interests.

Even had Labour won every single seat in Scotland, Scotland would've had a Tory government that they didn't vote for. I'm not sure how you can say with a straight face that Scottish voters ruined any chance of having a non-Tory government.

It won't.

Germany relies on the UK as open trade provides them directly with around 750~k jobs and likely from that provides other industries with a lot more. A loss of an open trade deal would cause Germany a LOT of harm and would result in a tit-for-tat war regarding tariffs.

Germany is not the EU. I don't think they have enough sway to influence enough of the other 26 members to allow the UK access without conditions - specifically the Four Freedoms - and even if they did, there are non-EU member countries in the EEC who will probably then demand the same treatment.

Merkel also said shortly after the referendum that Germany wouldn't accept the UK having access to the single market sans Four Freedoms.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 16, 2016, 02:46:46 pm »

Newsiest news:

Decision on Article 50 should rest with PM, not Parliament, says public
More than half of people say that the decision on invoking Article 50 is the Prime Minister’s to make
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Brexit: UK faces £350m-a-week 'divorce bill' as result of leaving the EU
According to new analysis, a total of £18 billion could be owed to cover shared liabilities

And some 'bonus' material (warning, daily mail headline):

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 16, 2016, 02:57:56 pm »

The UK relies (or relied, anyway) on a great deal of trade they (or at least its politicians) functionally told to bugger off, too, though. I'm not sure I'd be so confident that germany (or whoever) won't decide to take an economic hit for non-economic reasons. Or a short term one for long term gains sans the UK (or with less of em, I guess). Not sure I'd even call it a particularly bad idea, at this point. An unstable economic partner is sometimes worse than not having that partner at all.

And the UK is trying to sign itself up for a decade or three of trade renegotiations...

The reality of it is that that's not politics. It's very unlikely that Germany will bother doing that.

Scottish folks have realized that British parties aren't going to look out for their interests.

Even had Labour won every single seat in Scotland, Scotland would've had a Tory government that they didn't vote for. I'm not sure how you can say with a straight face that Scottish voters ruined any chance of having a non-Tory government.

Then the union breaks.

People won't vote for a Labour that won't be able to support the British people. It would've been an SNP-Labour coalition government, with SNP deciding all the terms.

Germany is not the EU. I don't think they have enough sway to influence enough of the other 26 members to allow the UK access without conditions - specifically the Four Freedoms - and even if they did, there are non-EU member countries in the EEC who will probably then demand the same treatment.

Merkel also said shortly after the referendum that Germany wouldn't accept the UK having access to the single market sans Four Freedoms.

Germany has a ridiculously large amount of influence within the EU. Then again, one of the principle problems with the EU is that it's impossible to understand what the hell is going to happen considering how opaque it is to outsiders (and, honestly, to insiders as well).

Merkel has said a lot of things through the years, including that multiculturalism has failed. She's a politician, nothing more.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 16, 2016, 03:23:28 pm »

Then the union breaks.

People won't vote for a Labour that won't be able to support the British people. It would've been an SNP-Labour coalition government, with SNP deciding all the terms.

That was certainly the rhetoric from the Tories at the time, which England fell for hook, line and sinker.

I recall being in Lincoln a few weeks prior to the election, and seeing Tory ads with Eddie in Salmond's shirt pocket.

Kinda shows you how much UK parties care about Scotland, since Salmond had stepped aside months prior, with Sturgeon as the leader at the time.

Germany has a ridiculously large amount of influence within the EU. Then again, one of the principle problems with the EU is that it's impossible to understand what the hell is going to happen considering how opaque it is to outsiders (and, honestly, to insiders as well).

Merkel has said a lot of things through the years, including that multiculturalism has failed. She's a politician, nothing more.

So's May, and everyone else involved in Brexit. They all have their jobs to think about pre- and post-Brexit.

The reality is that the EU has a lot more to lose by giving the UK a good deal than they will by, as you say, giving them a boot up the arse for leaving the club.

The prominence of political parties that either want to weaken the EU or have their country outright leave it means an example needs to be made.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 16, 2016, 03:50:33 pm »

I don't begrudge Leavers for trying every tactic they can to hold off even the faintest of challenges to their wishes.  There's up to 38% of people who can see defeat being snatched from the jaws of victory. (Also why it appears the words "overwhelming majority" have been retasked to describe "barely scraped past those bothered to vote otherwise", because they really want it to be so, and like "Crooked Hillary" or any other soundbite meme you could mention it just aims to transcends reality.)

If Leave had lost 35% to 38% they'd be pursuing a rematch at the next opportunistic moment, at least as quickly as the Scindependencers have with their wider margin of 38% to 47% loss.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 03:53:27 pm by Starver »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 16, 2016, 06:37:16 pm »

No no no. We already established long ago that no one has ever said that in the UK and there is no racial tension!

Edit: And we are still correct she is in Germany!

---

Frankly I wouldn't mind another vote... but given the economic turmoil there is an argument to be made that people would vote against it only because of current economic hardship and not because that is what they actually believe.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 06:41:48 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 126